TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got anoter compliment, I think?

I've seen teenage boys jump up to see my car, trip and fall down trying to see it as I drive by!

I've gotten lots of comments from teens on my car and all of them have been positive. Most just stare at it slack jawed and say it is the sweetest Mustang they have ever seen.

I did have one kid that really made me shake my head. He came in my store and commented on the Shelby and then asked me why I didn't get a Roush. I told him why would I want one of those when rhe Shelbys were the original aftermarket Mustangs? He looked at me real funny and said, you mean somebody made Mustang hot rods before Roush? All I could do was smile and tell him the story.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, first time posting. I've definitely had people turn their heads almost 180deg in order to check out my car and gotten tremendous amount of compliments for it it's almost overwhelming. I also have people trying to race me every other day, haha.

Hey guys, first time posting. I've definitely had people turn their heads almost 180deg in order to check out my car and gotten tremendous amount of compliments for it it's almost overwhelming. I also have people trying to race me every other day, haha.

welcome to the forum :)

I've gotten lots of comments from teens on my car and all of them have been positive. Most just stare at it slack jawed and say it is the sweetest Mustang they have ever seen.

I did have one kid that really made me shake my head. He came in my store and commented on the Shelby and then asked me why I didn't get a Roush. I told him why would I want one of those when rhe Shelbys were the original aftermarket Mustangs? He looked at me real funny and said, you mean somebody made Mustang hot rods before Roush? All I could do was smile and tell him the story.

And the 20 somethings are the same way with the Saleens. The ring bearer from our wedding is a college student these days and his mother drives a bright yellow Saleen-he asked me the same "why didn't you get a ______" question, but insert Saleen instead of Roush. At least he knew who Shelby was though.

Unfortunately the Carroll Shelby name does not hold the weight it used to. The younger gen just sees a Mustang and I have had sooo many people ask "who's Caroll Shelby?", I'm about to start wearing a sign board.

On the flip side and it's surprising to me - don't read ANYTHING into it - I have TONS of compliments from young and middle aged Black guys! They seem to love the car and know who Shelby is! Can't tell you how many times I have been "respected" on the road....

I guess it surprises me because the only people I ever see associated with this car are middle aged or older white men with a few exceptions.

The Shelby trancends all races, creeds and colors. It's really cool.

atleast you have people dumb enough to try to race u ! i think where im at everyone knows what a Shelby is and i cant find anyone to mess with going down the freeway ! even tried messing with a roush and two different cobras (no dice only complements) i did find a GT500 that we had fun for about 5 miles till i was on 4miles till empty had to shoot across 4 lanes to hit up gas station ! That was fun !!!!!!!!! dangerous and stupid but fun !!! :D

Unfortunately the Carroll Shelby name does not hold the weight it used to. The younger gen just sees a Mustang and I have had sooo many people ask "who's Caroll Shelby?", I'm about to start wearing a sign board.

On the flip side and it's surprising to me - don't read ANYTHING into it - I have TONS of compliments from young and middle aged Black guys! They seem to love the car and know who Shelby is! Can't tell you how many times I have been "respected" on the road....

I guess it surprises me because the only people I ever see associated with this car are middle aged or older white men with a few exceptions.

The Shelby trancends all races, creeds and colors. It's really cool.

My wife was commenting that the young guys don't get the whole Shelby thing, the older guys totally get what its all about. I often wonder what the future of collector cars is going to look like. People collecting today are collecting what was hot in they're day. Does that mean some day it will all be Honda Civics and Acura Integras? :mellow:

I drive mine almost every day and let me tell you its like moths to a lightbulb. The best one was two drunk guys flagging me down from front of car in a parking lot, I roll down passenger glass as they are asking me to, one guy says "man that is the best looking mustang ever, good job!", I told him thanks, it came that way, and keep driving by at 5 mph and the other guy says to the first "well duh its a shelby you dumbass!" really funny. It happens every day, silly for a new car, but true. Also watch out for the new Cadillac CTS/V they are pretty fast, not that I would race one but <bleep>, that thing accelerated right with me. But I still looked much cooler haha.

Yesterday I pulled up next to a jeep at a red light. The little boy in the front seat looked over...started jumping up and down in his seat...smacked his dad driving the jeep and pointed to my car.

I love when the little kids get so excited ! It makes you wonder what his dad has been teaching him about the history of cars :D

I have seen that several times with my older 69.

Yesterday I pulled up next to a jeep at a red light. The little boy in the front seat looked over...started jumping up and down in his seat...smacked his dad driving the jeep and pointed to my car.

I love when the little kids get so excited ! It makes you wonder what his dad has been teaching him about the history of cars :D

Yea I'm 19 and this is my 1st car I bought on my own :) anytime I drive on campus everyone looks and just stares, even my EE instructor w/ a new vette. People my age always ask why I got this instead of something "better" for the price.... BECAUSE ITS A SHELBY!!! (not much else better imo ;) ) I love old muscle cars and have always wanted one since I was little, this is the best way to do it.

Kelsey

Yea I'm 19 and this is my 1st car I bought on my own :) anytime I drive on campus everyone looks and just stares, even my EE instructor w/ a new vette. People my age always ask why I got this instead of something "better" for the price.... BECAUSE ITS A SHELBY!!! (not much else better imo ;) ) I love old muscle cars and have always wanted one since I was little, this is the best way to do it.

Kelsey

two thumbs up to ya Kelsey-Shelby rates #1 in my book too. Congrats on the car and welcome to the board.

Kelsey

Congrats on the Shelby !!!!!!!!!!!! this was my first brand new car driven off from the dealer also , i had to wait a little longer than 19 though!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

My first new car ever as well...though I have purchased 5 new vehicles for my wife over the years.

I picked up my car 8 months ago today, and drive it daily. I still get just as many looks, head turns, doubletakes, thumbs up, etc. as I ever have.

One thing I love is the looks you get from other folks driving nice machines as well who know about cars. I pulled up next to a brand new black Z06 (wow they are beautiful) and the driver rolled down his window and we chatted about are cars for a minute. Then I pulled alongside someone driving an early 2000s BMW Z8 (in my opinion, one of the best looking cars ever made period) and he and his wife started asking me questions and complimenting me on the Shelby. Both of these happened on the same drive home from work--about 10 minutes apart.

Yesterday I rounded a corner in downtown austin and saw a group of ladies from one of the office buildings taking a smoke break...as I roared past one of them (probably in her mid 40s or 50s) yelled out "Nice Shelby!!!!

Pretty cool...

"Ever since I was little"....God Bless getting a Shelby at 19,....but that line made me laugh. :lol:

yea I guess your right :P Wasn't that long ago for me huh? I skipped a few years in school and am about to graduate from University of AR with a mech engineering degree. Kinda forget how young i am sometimes.

"Ever since I was little"....God Bless getting a Shelby at 19,....but that line made me laugh. :lol:

yea I guess your right :P Wasn't that long ago for me huh? I skipped a few years in school and am about to graduate from University of AR with a mech engineering degree. Kinda forget how young i am sometimes.

Knock em dead buddy, sounds like you are off to a great start. ;)

first post here as well. Got my Shelby GT (1st car i've ever bought as well) back in August & have loved every minute of it. There doesn't go a day that I drive it & I don't get no stares or compliments. I was filling up one time & two kids came by & w/their jaws dropped & asked "Dude is that a V-8??? Awww man!!!!"

Archived