TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood replacement

Crucible

I stopped by Cars FX here in Tulsa yesterday and they have a Shelby GT with a 500KR hood mounted replacing the one that everyone seems to be having trouble with. I'm gonna e mail Amy and see if I can order one and beg for a credit. After 3 hood scoops, maybe she'll take pity, HA.

So why is it that with all these great hoods on the market, the best hood Shelby could come up with is a plastic scoop held on with rivets???????

The scoop is NOT held on by rivets. There are for decoration only. The scoop is held on with bolts that you can't see. No that they do the job either but just an FYI!

The scoop is NOT held on by rivets. There are for decoration only. The scoop is held on with bolts that you can't see.

Thank you MattC. Enough said. +1 B)

The scoop is NOT held on by rivets. There are for decoration only. The scoop is held on with bolts that you can't see.

I really would like to know what SAI intends to do about these hood scoops. I am on my 3rd one, and this one is starting to lift in several areas.

Kind of tired of dealing with it :angry:

I really would like to know what SAI intends to do about these hood scoops. I am on my 3rd one, and this one is starting to lift in several areas.

Kind of tired of dealing with it :angry:

Hi Sue

I tried to send you a PM, but I guess that feature is not working this evening.

I was reading your post on the board and you indicated that your 3rd scoop didn't turn out well. Did you still end up having bumps and fitment problems with yours? My second scoop is just as bad as the first...still has bumps, but now has gaps between the scoop and hood. I think it's just a bad design. I have looked at least 6 Shelby’s at the dealerships, and every single one had bumps, but a little better fitment, but not that great either.

Mike

My local Ford dealership has two Shelby Gt's in stock on their lot. One is black and one is white. I have looked at both of their hood scoops and both are raised off of the hood on one side or the other. Both of these have less than 30 miles and have yet to be sold.

Tomorrow I'm having my drivers side hood stripe replaced by them because it was scuffed by someone at the time of delivery. I had thought about sending in a claim for my hood scoop which is and has been raised on the drivers side since the time of delivery. With so many of us having the same problems, I'm just not going to do anything right now with my hood scoop. Once again I like the scoop but until the issue with the mounting brackets is resolved I will do nothing with mine. :(

Hi Sue

I tried to send you a PM, but I guess that feature is not working this evening.

I was reading your post on the board and you indicated that your 3rd scoop didn't turn out well. Did you still end up having bumps and fitment problems with yours? My second scoop is just as bad as the first...still has bumps, but now has gaps between the scoop and hood. I think it's just a bad design. I have looked at least 6 Shelby’s at the dealerships, and every single one had bumps, but a little better fitment, but not that great either.

Mike

Hi there !

My 3rd scoop fit better when it was installed as far as the "ripples"....but now it 's starting to lift in various places. One issue is the ford dealer I bought the car from refuses to take the hood off like SAI recommends. They say it is totatlly unnecessary to remove the hood to replace it. They did put the 3rd scoop on...and it did fit better..but as I said it's starting to lift like many others on this board.

I do not feel I should have to go out and buy a new hood for a 40,000 dollar car. SAI needs to make this right somehow..or demand that the company making these scoops for them fix this problem. The design on the underneath appears to be the problem..IMO. I plan on taking my car to a different Ford dealer for service..but not this dealer doesn't have a body shop to change yet another scoop..so I just don't know what to do anymore. I won't go back to the original dealer...they really mistreated my car IMO. I guess I need to write to SAI and figure out how to fix this problem. ( or how they can fix )

Sue

Hi there !

My 3rd scoop fit better when it was installed as far as the "ripples"....but now it 's starting to lift in various places. One issue is the ford dealer I bought the car from refuses to take the hood off like SAI recommends. They say it is totatlly unnecessary to remove the hood to replace it. They did put the 3rd scoop on...and it did fit better..but as I said it's starting to lift like many others on this board.

I do not feel I should have to go out and buy a new hood for a 40,000 dollar car. SAI needs to make this right somehow..or demand that the company making these scoops for them fix this problem. The design on the underneath appears to be the problem..IMO. I plan on taking my car to a different Ford dealer for service..but not this dealer doesn't have a body shop to change yet another scoop..so I just don't know what to do anymore. I won't go back to the original dealer...they really mistreated my car IMO. I guess I need to write to SAI and figure out how to fix this problem. ( or how they can fix )

Sue

I think it is probably necessary to remove the hood to do the initial install of the scoop to make sure the sccop lines up with the stripes before drilling holes. However, to replace the scoop I would agree that using the initial 8 holes to properly align the scoop and then mark and drill two holes doesn't require removing the hood. In fact, I would be worried about the dealer refitting the hood with the hood pins without scratching the paint or screwing something up.

They really need to redesign the scoop, using a different plastic and/or fiber. But that takes $$$$ of engineering, design and manufacturing development, molds etc. I would guess about $100k to get the first one ready and about 4 months of time. Once they get the manufacturing going, the scoops would probably be very cheap.

Or they can come up with reinforcing mods to add to each scoop. This would require hand touch labor on each scoop which would be expensive. The proper way is to redesign it.

Did the dealer let you keep the old scoop? When I get my first replacement scoop installed next week, I'm going to ask if I can keep it to see if I can come up with some reinforcement mods (I'm a mechanical engineer and would love to tinker with it).

You are required to return the old scoop Bud has told us in the past. And not is sounds as if Ford racing is getting involved and being a PITA. As for the new injection mold tooling they should be able to do for 20k or less. They may even be able to modify the existing one and add a flange or something to give the edge some rigidity so that you can pull down the scoop in multiple places. Does anyone that has taken theirs off...Stump you there??....know if there are metal threaded inserts in the scoop or not? I would think there is. It is done in the molding process so you should be able to toghten down pretty good and not pull the insert out. Regardless something has to be done because it is a major issue.

You are required to return the old scoop Bud has told us in the past. And not is sounds as if Ford racing is getting involved and being a PITA. As for the new injection mold tooling they should be able to do for 20k or less. They may even be able to modify the existing one and add a flange or something to give the edge some rigidity so that you can pull down the scoop in multiple places. Does anyone that has taken theirs off...Stump you there??....know if there are metal threaded inserts in the scoop or not? I would think there is. It is done in the molding process so you should be able to tighten down pretty good and not pull the insert out. Regardless something has to be done because it is a major issue.

Yeah. The whole problem lies in the tabs that hold the threaded clips in place. In fact the clips will actually tear the molded tabs because they are so thin. If support was applied in these areas, there would not be a problem at all. They can't be torqued into place because of the flex involved and even if they hold for awhile, heat eventually warps them. Also, I believe the stand off in the center of the scoop is too low which applies pressure to the hood and forces the scoop up over time. But I'm no engineer.

I'm thinking something like marine epoxy or even possibly JB weld placed between the tabs and the body of the scoop might supply enough grab to give the appropriate support on the flexible tabs. This is assuming it can grab the molded plastic, which with some Acetone to cut the oil on the scoop and some 60 grit sandpaper, you can get a nice rough surface area. I use a product called "Pig Putty" to seal leaking drums, pipes and so on that I believe would work great. It sets hard as a rock and can actually be drilled and tapped. I was able to seal a quarter sized hole in the oil pan of a Honda (not my Honda) about 2-3 years ago and it holds to this day. It was supposed to be a temp fix to get the car home but it worked so well, it was just left in place.

Pig Putty

Hi there !

Sue

Sue can you post a pic of how the scoop looks now? I asume they added screws to replace the two false rivets in the front of the scoop. Correct?

I stopped by Cars FX here in Tulsa yesterday and they have a Shelby GT with a 500KR hood mounted replacing the one that everyone seems to be having trouble with. I'm gonna e mail Amy and see if I can order one and beg for a credit. After 3 hood scoops, maybe she'll take pity, HA.

I am on my 3rd scoop also. I’ve had my hood, hood blanket, and scoop off/on more times then I care to remember.

I have a love/hate issue with the scoop. I really like the intended look of the scoop and want to maintain the original concept of the design but I am aggravated by the fitment issues every time I drive the car. Car and Driver clearly hated it.

Despite several attempts and a lot of time invested I still have all of the original problems with the scoop. It has looked better for a while after re-installing but the heat and vibration have always caused it to eventually change shape. I have measured a ¼” difference at some points just from normal operating temperature changes.

When I got the 2nd and 3rd versions SAI said they had re-designed the scoop but I could see no difference in any of them other than they added two screws to the front to draw down the front left/right corners.

The fundamental problem is still there. The bottom of the scoop is perfectly flat and fairly inflexible and the surface of the hood is curved (double convex).

Drawing down the flat scoop onto the curved surface is never going to work right. The scoop should be made to fit the contour of the hood.

Even though I’d prefer this would be re-designed and fixed under warranty I’d pay for a scoop that fit right and maintained the original design if somebody offered it.

If I run out of options with the original scoop design and decide to go aftermarket the GTR Ram Air Hood is my personal favorite (today anyway).

Even though I’d prefer this would be re-designed and fixed under warranty I’d pay for a scoop that fit right and maintained the original design if somebody offered it.

Agreed! Someone in the future is going to make $$$$ replacing these scoops unless SAI kills the effort as a licensing issue. That might keep someone from doing it.

Just to be sure on the replacement scoops, where exactly do the two added screws (or rivets) go? The front two false rivets or somewhere else?

Yes, they are torx head screws that replace the front two false rivets.

Heres an idea. Why didn't they just use the normal GT Hood Scoop. There doesn't seem to be any issues with that scoop lifting up. If they were to have used the normal GT Scoop and PAINTED the stripes, it would have been more special. But then again, what do I know?

Last, I saw a GT/CS convert. this weekend and it looked awesome, and I would imagine that the CS will not have these problems.

Agreed! Someone in the future is going to make $$$$ replacing these scoops unless SAI kills the effort as a licensing issue. That might keep someone from doing it.

Or you could just bolt on the Roush hood scoop. I have never seen one of there scoops lift. <_<

There has been issues with Ford's scoop I read as well. Maybe not the same issue or quanitty but I read a thread a while back on TMS.com that they had issues.

I just wish Bud was still around or someone from SAi could let us know what is up. They are busy as hell I think with shows and getting the SS project squared away, which is understandable. I prefer to get my info from here now as I dont have time for the dealer round and round game. If someone can get ahold of someone at SAI and get some info please let us know.

Heres an idea. Why didn't they just use the normal GT Hood Scoop. There doesn't seem to be any issues with that scoop lifting up. If they were to have used the normal GT Scoop and PAINTED the stripes, it would have been more special. But then again, what do I know?

Last, I saw a GT/CS convert. this weekend and it looked awesome, and I would imagine that the CS will not have these problems.

Yeah, I wondered that too, though I really think the CS scoop is too small both in width and length. It looks, to me, like a baby scoop. Ours is much nicer and looks better overall. If the thing would just fit right I'd be happy! I was going to get a CS6 hood but this thing as actually grown on me, as has the spoiler delete, but it really looks like I put it on myself! :unsure:

Archived