TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Letter fell off!!

daltondavid

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!! my thoughts and fears of these glued on letters have come true!! while washing my car, the "H" came off! now the back of my car says, "S E L B Y" Not Good! either it is a subliminal reference that I should sell the car and Buy another, or something needs to be done to rectify this. One thought is to remove them all and install the third Brake light cover that reads "SHELBY". the second thought is to remove them all and just utilize the GT 500 SHELBY Badge that sits off to the left. what are you guys thinking???

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!! my thoughts and fears of these glued on letters have come true!! while washing my car, the "H" came off! now the back of my car says, "S E L B Y" Not Good! either it is a subliminal reference that I should sell the car and Buy another, or something needs to be done to rectify this. One thought is to remove them all and install the third Brake light cover that reads "SHELBY". the second thought is to remove them all and just utilize the GT 500 SHELBY Badge that sits off to the left. what are you guys thinking???

i think you get some glue and glue it on and get over it

I used 3M Emblem and trim glue and now that letter is solid. Use a toothpick to spread it on sparingly. It reminds me of airplane moding glue in it's consistancy and smell. Works great. I'm considering buying a set of letters to have handy in case one falls off and I lose it. However the others are holding OK and I'm keeping an eye on them.

My "Y" is falling off. Ford Racing is "making a determination" as to warranty coverage to fit it. I'm not going to do anything, such as gluing it myself, that will later allow them to claim it, or something else, is no longer under warranty.

Matt:

Could use your advice because my "L" is getting loose due to the local car wash. When they dry the car they tend to get their rags (& fibers) hung up on those letters. Had to push the "L" back into place for it to stick....

Do you have the name/number/email for the person you talked to at Ford Racing? Or is this a Ford dealer or Shelby Autos warranty problem???

Thanks,

Alex

RetroAlex #2946

Matt:

Could use your advice because my "L" is getting loose due to the local car wash. When they dry the car they tend to get their rags (& fibers) hung up on those letters. Had to push the "L" back into place for it to stick....

Do you have the name/number/email for the person you talked to at Ford Racing? Or is this a Ford dealer or Shelby Autos warranty problem???

Thanks,

Alex

RetroAlex #2946

Alex there should be a number is the shebly warranty book inside you glove box. try to call that number or take it to your dealer and let them call that number. our first SGT has bubbles in the stripe on the scoop. i called the number and they took car of the problem. this was a few months ago, but i dont thinks anything has changed.

michael morris

Alex there should be a number is the shebly warranty book inside you glove box. try to call that number or take it to your dealer and let them call that number. our first SGT has bubbles in the stripe on the scoop. i called the number and they took car of the problem. this was a few months ago, but i dont thinks anything has changed.

michael morris

Alex, If you look at your Shelby book that came with the car it says to hand wash your car only. Don't let them idiots at the car wash touch that baby again!

michael morris

Michael:

Thanks for the info....I checked the Shelby GT Supplement Book and it has the warranty numbers for Ford Racing and Shelby Autos. However, I believe it's a Shelby problem so I'll be contacting them shortly....Personally, I dont see how these letters are going to last on the back of the car for 3 years based on the way they are mounted! <_<

Alex

RetroAlex #2946

Michael:

Thanks for the info....I checked the Shelby GT Supplement Book and it has the warranty numbers for Ford Racing and Shelby Autos. However, I believe it's a Shelby problem so I'll be contacting them shortly....Personally, I dont see how these letters are going to last on the back of the car for 3 years based on the way they are mounted! <_<

Alex

RetroAlex #2946

i hope you are able to use the info to get everything right. if it were my car i dont care whos at fault i would just want my car fixed. im sure SAI or Ford will take car of your problem. if i can help please let me know

michael morris

Another issue that I hope is fixed before they start making 08s.

The only fix, IMHO, is use the old school method, i.e Shelby Chrome Pin Type trunk letters, just like the ones that were used long ago. Shelby did not install these b/c of cost. Each letter has two pins, so there would have been some drilling to do, plus our trunks maybe double sided like our hoods, making installtion even more difficult.

The only fix, IMHO, is use the old school method, i.e Shelby Chrome Pin Type trunk letters, just like the ones that were used long ago. Shelby did not install these b/c of cost. Each letter has two pins, so there would have been some drilling to do, plus our trunks maybe double sided like our hoods, making installtion even more difficult.

I did not get my car yet but maybe a combination of the pin install letters with the 3M trim glue wold work. Seems to me that a combination of pins insterted along with adhesive would hold them much better. I will probably do that when I get the stripes painted which I definitely do at some point.

I did not get my car yet but maybe a combination of the pin install letters with the 3M trim glue wold work. Seems to me that a combination of pins insterted along with adhesive would hold them much better. I will probably do that when I get the stripes painted which I definitely do at some point.

I would NOT use the letters with pins. You are asking for potential long term corrosion problems drilling through steel. I think the elegant fix is to use the 3M Emblem and Trim Adhesive and it will be solid.

Is the trunk lid not Aluminum? I though it was.

You could be right. Still, I think the pins were use way back because the adhesives were crappy. The new adhesives are very good and will be stronger that the miniscule 3M tape on the back of each letter. Plus the tape doesn't cover the entire back of the letter so a cloth can get hung on the edge.

You guys have got to stop talking about your hood, letter, stripe, and grille problems. It's depressing me. :(

Especially when I look at how much money I'm planning to spend on this car and how cheap you can get a 2007 GT for right now (~$13-14K less than a SGT with incentives and X-Plan).

FYI..my letter L that fell off had an adhesive on the back of it. It wasnt tape. It was pretty thick and I stuck it right back on and it hasnt come off since and thats been about 1 1/2 months. And thats quite a few washes on the car...ask my wife! ;)

You guys have got to stop talking about your hood, letter, stripe, and grille problems. It's depressing me. :(

Especially when I look at how much money I'm planning to spend on this car and how cheap you can get a 2007 GT for right now (~$13-14K less than a SGT with incentives and X-Plan).

Don't worry about this stuff! This is small, small stuff and is kinda like mini projects to mess with.

I have CSM #384 andI have had only one or two tiny, tiny bubbles in the stripes which were fixed using a pin hole and smoothing it out. The letter coming off is an easy fix with the 3M glue and works better than what Ford Racing will do, which is replace it with another letter with a miniscule 3M tape on it! I haven't done anything about the grill yet because you really can't notice it unless you stick you head down into it. Standing a few feet away and I can't see any paint missing. I'll look for a touch-up pen and mess with it, but it really isn't IMO, something you need warranty service for.

What I worry about every day is the dreaded water leak problem some of the 05-07's have around the engine cowl, etc. Everytime I wash it or get caught in the rain I check to see if there is any sign of leakage. None so far. Now that would be a bitch of a problem to solve judging from the other mustang forums.

The hood scoop problem pales in comparison to the leakage problem, IMO. I'm having my scoop replaced next week and we'll see how it does. I don't expect it will be perfect, but I do expect improvement. Then we'll see how it does over time and what SAI does to develop a better solution. At least I will have done the first step in the hood scoop resolution process and be on the offical record with Ford warranty.

Don't worry about this stuff! This is small, small stuff and is kinda like mini projects to mess with.

I'm happy for you that you only had a few "small" bubbles.

But my issues are not "small stuff" or "mini projects" I have a 1" long bubble and tape distortion. I have a car that bangs over a bump, a hood scoops that's almost 1/4" up on one side. I have a shifter that vibrates so much it drives me mad to the point I have to ALWAYS have my hand on the shifter and a hood pic pad that's bent up on one side. These are NOT mini projects and after waiting as long as I did and with the amount of people who have heard me for months going on and on about this car it's an embarrassment to show them the car only to hear them say, "did you see this"...etc.

Again, I'm happy for you but I don't think it's fair of you to minimize the situation some of us are in.

I'm happy for you that you only had a few "small" bubbles.

But my issues are not "small stuff" or "mini projects" I have a 1" long bubble and tape distortion. I have a car that bangs over a bump, a hood scoops that's almost 1/4" up on one side. I have a shifter that vibrates so much it drives me mad to the point I have to ALWAYS have my hand on the shifter and a hood pic pad that's bent up on one side. These are NOT mini projects and after waiting as long as I did and with the amount of people who have heard me for months going on and on about this car it's an embarrassment to show them the car only to hear them say, "did you see this"...etc.

Again, I'm happy for you but I don't think it's fair of you to minimize the situation some of us are in.

Yeah but all these things can be fixed. The one I worry about is the scoop which requires some design changes.

I've done the following:

1) glue the letter "Y" back on

2) fix some small bubbles on the stripes

3) adjust the hood pin lengths to insure I get a preload on the hood when I insert the pin

4) replace the pin rings with the new ones from SAI (kept falling out).

5) take off the hood pin pads and straighten/flatten them out, make sure the screws are tight.

6) research getting a spare tire and wheel (which was not as simple as it would seem), also costs about $420.

7) bought a spare wheel from Ford Racing (like the one on the car) in case one gets damaged.

8) In process of getting the hood scoop fitment resolved. I'd fix it myself except it needs a design change that would void my warranty if I did it.

Granted, I bought my car from a showroom and I had the chance to check it out before I bought it. At that time the hood scoop fitment looked fine. In fact like everyone else, I thought the rivets were real! I didn't notice the problems with the pins until I got home. At that time I realized that the dealer probably opened the hood without undoing the pins at some point and wrinkled the chrome pads. It's an easy mistake to make. In fact, I've done once myself. I never heard of a car without a spare until I bought the SGT. It appears they are more common now.

Having the shifter shaking is pretty annoying and looking at the 1/4" gap on the drivers side of the scoop (which is right in your line of sight) is also annoying. Mine is also about a 1/4". The shifter can be adjusted. The scoop, well I don't know yet and I'll let you know next week if there is any improvement.

I don't have a clue what the bang could be on yours. Exhaust, suspension??

I don't mean to minimize everyones problems. I just didn't want someone to be turned off by the SGT because of a few person's problems. I feel your pain though.

Good luck!

Archived