TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing Oil Filter in Shelby GT?

blueshawk

I'm going to change my oil & filter and I can't tell from topside if this filter is the standard Motorcraft or the Ford Racing oil filter. I ordered some Ford Racing filters from the Shelby Performance Parts when they opened for business but they haven't been shipped yet. I don't know if I want to wait anyone longer to change the oil and I might just get a Motorcraft filter. I know the Motorcraft will be just fine, but I was thinking the Shelby GT might have the Ford Racing filter since it has a bunch of the other FRPP parts.

I'm going to change my oil & filter and I can't tell from topside if this filter is the standard Motorcraft or the Ford Racing oil filter. I ordered some Ford Racing filters from the Shelby Performance Parts when they opened for business but they haven't been shipped yet. I don't know if I want to wait anyone longer to change the oil and I might just get a Motorcraft filter. I know the Motorcraft will be just fine, but I was thinking the Shelby GT might have the Ford Racing filter since it has a bunch of the other FRPP parts.

It does have the Ford racing filter but the standard Mustang GT filter will work just fine if you're in a pinch.

• 2 months later...

I looked in the manual and the supplement and couldn't find anywhere it said to use the FRPP filter in fact all I saw was the Motorcraft FL820S number listed.

The Ford Racing filter is just for show. We do not have racing engines. The racing filter is made to accept more pressure and we are not using a higher pressure oil pump. The purpose of the filter is to do just that...filter. If you want to use the best filter check out all of the available brands and compare what the filtering specs are. Look not at single pass efficiency but rather what multi-pass efficiency is. The higher the rating on multi-pass the better the filter. Mobil One is one of the highest. Fram filters have about 3 different filter ratings on the different filters. Again, look for the best with multi-pass.

It does have the Ford racing filter but the standard Mustang GT filter will work just fine if you're in a pinch.

I thought that we kept the standard filter (i.e. - not changed at SAI and certainly not done differently on the production line in Flat Rock, MI). I remember a thread about this some time ago and Amy B. actually jumped in b/c it appeared as if somewhere it was misquoted as having the FRPP power pack, which came with a filter which we definitely did not get.

The Shelby GT does not come w/ a Ford Racing filter, but it doesn't hurt to use one if your willing to pay the $15+ for one of them. I saw a test among several filter brands the the Ford Racing filter came out on top, but by only a slim margin. The Motorcraft filter came in at a close 2nd.

I thought that we kept the standard filter (i.e. - not changed at SAI and certainly not done differently on the production line in Flat Rock, MI). I remember a thread about this some time ago and Amy B. actually jumped in b/c it appeared as if somewhere it was misquoted as having the FRPP power pack, which came with a filter which we definitely did not get.

On my first oil change, they did remove a racing filter because the lube center was talking about having to order them since they did not have them in stock. I told them to go back with a standard filter so at some time in the past there was a racing filter installed. My car is #117 so it could have been on the earlier cars. Or possibly (although unlikely) for whatever reason the dealership I bought it from installed one. Maybe they thought it was a "race car" and needed it. When the SGT's first came out not a whole lot was know about them by anyone especially the dealerships. I bought mine in early 2007.

Amy did say the FRPP they get (now?) does not come with the filter. It has been awhile back. I'm not trying to stir anything up. She has already settled this argument and the racing filter is not needed anyway. It's just a standard 4.6 with very minor mods. No need for any special filter.

The FRPP comes with the Racing Filter. We don't get it for what ever reason. I pay the extra $$ and have it put on at each oil change. It's cheap, considering, and if they put it in the FRPP then it's there for some reason. I have a great motorsports dealer here that keeps them in stock so what the heck!

I don't have a Motorsports dealer that keeps them in stock. I bought two from SPP and have one left. When I use that I'll order a case from my Motorsports dealer. 12 for about $130 isn't bad. This dealer is a real hole-in-the-wall place but has good prices. He beats everything on the internet when it comes to FRPP parts.

If your interested HERE is the FL820S.

$3.98 ea plus $7.95 shipping then .65 for each one thereafter. It says he has 23 available.

$47.76 for a case (12) plus $14.99 shipping for a total of $62.75

edit: Oops, got them backwards. the FL820 is the HiPo filter....

edit 2.0 - points of interest

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubb...s.php?Cat=0&C=7

Archived