TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Car Issue

CMC

I looked at 2 Shelby GT's today at local dealers both white. They both had a small amount of white overspray in the rear wheel wells. Has anybody else seen this and why does it happen? Also, has anyone removed the tape stripes and had them painted? I think a nice quality painted stripe would look so much nicer. Would this negativly effect the value of the car?

has anyone removed the tape stripes and had them painted? I think a nice quality painted stripe would look so much nicer. Would this negativly effect the value of the car?

I'm no expert, but ask yourself this question. If you were in the market for a used SGT would you find painted on stripes (assuming it's a good quality job) a positive or negative?

From a cleaning and waxing stand point I would think the painted stripes would be less hassle.

I looked at 2 Shelby GT's today at local dealers both white. They both had a small amount of white overspray in the rear wheel wells. Has anybody else seen this and why does it happen? Also, has anyone removed the tape stripes and had them painted? I think a nice quality painted stripe would look so much nicer. Would this negativly effect the value of the car?

First off are both of these cars NEW? If they are it is probably just the factory overspray common on most vehicles. Does it look like paint or buffing compound? With robots painting who knows. And there are a lot of sloppy new car prep people out there in dealerships. There should be a vehicle discalimer for damage if repaired. Ask the dealer. And if you don't like the answer, don't buy the car. Move on to another dealer or another car.

As far as stripes, some say keep it original. Some say do what you will. Paint is much preferred over tape for appearance and long term wear. As stated above, a member had his painted and it looks excellent. Value is subjective. What do you plan to do with the car? Drive and enjoy? Admire in the garage and not put miles on it? There would be a couple of different answers based on how you answer the questions. Keep to collect, keep the tape. Drive the wheels off of it, paint them on and don't worry about it. Just do what you feel is right for you and go out and enjoy the car. Just another perspective.

Both cars were new on dealer lots and had not been preped yet. I dont want to imply that they were damaged...it really looked like factory overspray. I'm no kid, I have I fairly good idea of what I was looking at. Has any one else seen this on their cars at delivery?

Mine's got it in the passenger side rear wheelwell.

And if you listen closely, you can hear me breathe a sigh of relief, as I had been worried about it, and now I can see it's "normal". :blink:

Jer

I have what looks like overspray on my passenger side side scoops. I havent taken it off yet. I am going to try a compound and lightly rub it off I hope.

I spent about $1,400. US to have my stripes removed and painted. I had the body shop EXACTLY match the silver of the painted hood scoop. THen, the black vinyl stripe on the painted hood scoop was peeled off and painted black.

The job is not a simple one: First the front and back bumpers must be removed, then the trunk lid removed and the hood! This is done so that once painted, the entire pieces can be clear-coated.

In the sun, you get a lot more lustre and when running your fingers over the stripes, of course you cannot tell they are there. This makes waxing much, much easier.

Also, I had weird marks (like scuff marks) all over my vinyl stripes. So now the painted silver stripes really sparkle.

Finally, I chose to keep my car "spoiler delete" and the Sirius Sattelite plastic bug-thing bothered me greatly. So, during the process of painting the stripes, my body shop removed the Sirius "bug" and plugged the hole prior to painting.

I agree with the notion that says "its your car and do what you will with her!"

In my personal opinion, if I had purchased the car with the idea of storing it for thirty years and putting around 5,000 miles on her over that span, then I would have left the car absolutely stock and untouched.

But I plan on driving this car 7,500 miles per year - keeping her in the garage all shined up - taking her to show & shines, etc. So I've done several mods and felt that painting the stripes would be an elegant touch.

Have fun with your ride!

-Todd

PS: I left the "side stripes" as original.....if I ever talk the wife into letting me spend the money on SuperCharging, then you get a new badge (stripe kit) - so I figured it was worth leaving the vinyl well alone (grin). Besides, the cost to paint "side stripes" was just not worth the extra money.

Archived