TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket CAI assesories & tunes

AFBLUE

Since the SGT FRPP CAI is essentially the Steeda CAI, I was wondering if anyone has gotten, or has considered getting the Steeda hi flow inlet elbow http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_inlet_tube.php

Steeda claims up to a 8hp increase.

Also has anyone gotten an aftermarket tuner like the SCT XCalibrator 2, or had their car dynotuned. Seems like the factory setup with 280rwhp is rather conservative and there's more power to be had if it was tuned for 93 octane.

Here's a TMS member with a Mustang GT that dynoed 275rwhp with the FRPP CAI, X-pipe, elbow, and FRPP pro-cal tune (270rwhp stock).

After a custom tune he got 289rwhp (14 more than the pro-cal tune)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...49&postcount=49

So I'm guess a SGT might get around 295rwhp with a custom tune.

Since the SGT FRPP CAI is essentially the Steeda CAI, I was wondering if anyone has gotten, or has considered getting the Steeda hi flow inlet elbow http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_inlet_tube.php

Steeda claims up to a 8hp increase.

Also has anyone gotten an aftermarket tuner like the SCT XCalibrator 2, or had their car dynotuned. Seems like the factory setup with 280rwhp is rather conservative and there's more power to be had if it was tuned for 93 octane.

Here's a TMS member with a Mustang GT that dynoed 275rwhp with the FRPP CAI, X-pipe, elbow, and FRPP pro-cal tune (270rwhp stock).

After a custom tune he got 289rwhp (14 more than the pro-cal tune)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...49&postcount=49

So I'm guess a SGT might get around 295rwhp with a custom tune.

Yes. go for it all. That is what I was going to do before. Then I decided to get the S/C so it's all moot. Should notice a huge difference. RIHarley ended up doing those plus more such as the underdrive pulleys. Some consider the charge motion plates a benefit as well. The SCT tune is recommended for all.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the high flow elbow on my SGT last week. I have not done any scientific testing, but it seems faster to me. The engine just seems more responsive. I did not notice any change in the power band, but once you hit 2800-3000 RPM it just flies. For $110 I have no regrets.

Anything that does not cause turbulance in the airflow is going to be an improvement. I say go fo it...

So, I have a few questions along these lines...

Please begin routinely throwing opinions at me.

Which of these will void my warranty:

Steeda or March underdrive pulleys

Steeda hi-flow inlet elbow

Front brake upgrade (Shelby, Baer)

Getting a new tune?

I want to do the first two soon, which I figure will require a tune. Do I need to pay for a pro and a dyno run for simple stuff like this, or should I just get a tool and do it myself? I keep hearing how "mild" the tune is on the car as shipped, so...

I'm also wondering which tuning tool I should get... SCT (their Livewire seems cool, but is the X-2 enough?) or Diablo?

Help. :huh:

Jer

Ok.....here goes......

On the warranty question everything but the brakes will technically void your warranty. It really all stems from the Ford and SVT release of the 03 Cobra. It got to a point that ANY modification found on your car some dealers would just send you packing and note the car had modifications on the OASIS reporting system.

On the modifications they all seem ok but to optimize the true potential of the car you would need a pro tune and the SCT would be and is going to be my choice. I ran a custom tune in my 04 Cobra and with simple bolt on had 500+ RWHP and 500 FTLBTQ.

Find a competent tuner and tech and they will guide you through the process.

When my warranty expires, then I will try some other stuff. I would just rather have that warranty in place as long as possible, especially since I am already getting warranty repairs as we speak.

Ok.....here goes......

On the warranty question everything but the brakes will technically void your warranty. It really all stems from the Ford and SVT release of the 03 Cobra. It got to a point that ANY modification found on your car some dealers would just send you packing and note the car had modifications on the OASIS reporting system.

On the modifications they all seem ok but to optimize the true potential of the car you would need a pro tune and the SCT would be and is going to be my choice. I ran a custom tune in my 04 Cobra and with simple bolt on had 500+ RWHP and 500 FTLBTQ.

Find a competent tuner and tech and they will guide you through the process.

Aw, no fun.

Voiding the warranty goes against my better judgement (I've driven junk most of my life, so I've gotten to value the "new car advantage"... ;) )

OK, so at the very least: Maybe just the tune? Will I be able to get a more aggressive tune (93-octane) that I can flash before dealer servicings? I know, it's a waste to do that and NOT get it set up with the pipe and pulleys, but maybe I can compromise my right foot with my brain....? Also, which SCT?

Thanks for the help, as always...

OK, so I've seen the exact setp I'm envisioning, on the new Steeda Q335.

Pulleys, throttle-body spacer, and their CAI w/ hi-flow inlet elbow.

Anyone have reliable stats as to the HP gains they got as opposed to the Shelby GT (or my best friend, TORQUE)? Better yet, anyone get a drive in one to compare?

Jer

OK, so I've seen the exact setp I'm envisioning, on the new Steeda Q335.

Pulleys, throttle-body spacer, and their CAI w/ hi-flow inlet elbow.

Anyone have reliable stats as to the HP gains they got as opposed to the Shelby GT (or my best friend, TORQUE)? Better yet, anyone get a drive in one to compare?

Jer

Jer, PM RIHarley. He had all of this done plus the 4:10 gears. If you don't hear from him, PM me and I'll call him and have him reply to you.

Archived