TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt500 ceritfied

stwsam

I am sure every one knows that the mustang GT goes to shelby Autos and gets "shelbyfied" but does any one know if the gt500 acually gets sent to shelby because what i have been hearing is that the shelby name only goes on it and it doesnt really get sent to shelby.

I am sure every one knows that the mustang GT goes to shelby Autos and gets "shelbyfied" but does any one know if the gt500 acually gets sent to shelby because what i have been hearing is that the shelby name only goes on it and it doesnt really get sent to shelby.

Todd, you're correct. The GT500 is made completely at the AutoAlliance Plant in Flat Rock on the same production line that the prior year's Cobra SVT was made. Some have said that this means it's not really a Shelby because it wasn't made at SAI. However the counter to that is that some of the 69 and 70 Shelby's were made at Ford as well. So in the end, it shouldn't matter. If it is certified by The Legend, it's a Shelby.

However, I think that any modified GT500 such as the KR, 40th or the SS are sent to SAI.

Hope I'm correct. Others will confirm.

However, I think that any modified GT500 such as the KR, 40th or the SS are sent to SAI.

Hope I'm correct. Others will confirm.

I'm not going to get into the GT500 debate, though I do have an opinion, but you are correct that the KR, 40th and SS, are done at SAI in the infamous "Mod Shop". There is a great post from John someplace where he talks about these upcoming programs and their intention to focus on these projects over the coming months then reopen the infamous "Mod Shop" in the late fall for SGT's that didn't get mods the first time around.

Humm..might be a good place to store my car for the winter! ;)

acually i just talked on the phone with john walker (head of sales for SAI) and he told me that the Gt is sent to shelby and then upgraded with racing suspension and a new chip and some racing parts. WIth the supercharger the shelby GT is better than the GT500 because the GT500 is not sent to shelby and without the racing suspension the handling is not great.

that means I definately need the supercharger installed on my SGT. There is a Gt 500 around here and he needs competition.

Shelby American built (aka modified Mustangs) for only 3 model yrs...1965, 1966 and 1967. From 1968 through 70 (70's were actually left over 69's that were slighly modified to be put back on the market as a 'new' edition) were built by Ford just like the GT500 is now....

The 1968 carried over the 1967 design and thus 'comes' from Shelby design folks for the most part..the 1969/70 is entirely the design work of folks at Ford and just had the Shelby name (ie licensed from Shelby) plastered on it by Ford aka 07 GT500 style.

Shelby American built (aka modified Mustangs) for only 3 model yrs...1965, 1966 and 1967. From 1968 through 70 (70's were actually left over 69's that were slighly modified to be put back on the market as a 'new' edition) were built by Ford just like the GT500 is now....

The 1968 carried over the 1967 design and thus 'comes' from Shelby design folks for the most part..the 1969/70 is entirely the design work of folks at Ford and just had the Shelby name (ie licensed from Shelby) plastered on it by Ford aka 07 GT500 style.

Thanks for the correction retro.

The Auto Alliance/Flat Rock plant where the Mustang is made, in the Ford world, is considered a Mazda plant, which produced such gems as the Ford Probe and the Mazda 626. I agree that the GT500 is in some respect a "true" Shelby, but there is nothing like having your car sent to the original and having "THE MAN"'s people do the work.

It is my opinion that the GT500 is just marketing by Ford as a Shelby (however, it is probaly one of baddest rides ever made.) And, Shelby is making a nice profit off of these cars emabling them to produce our cars.

Wouldn't trade my SGT for the world!!! Man, I love that car!!!

Everyone, go an buy a Ford this weekend or convince someone else too. Let's make the Legend continue to live. A lot of us "AMERICANS" are depending on it. Made in the USA #1

ok, first neither car is "better" they have different attributes. The gt500 is absolutely a shelby. as is the shelby GT. The Gt500 is big and fast and in my opinion is a blvd bruiser and drag racing fool. The shelby Gt is lighter, less HP and is an exceptional road car.

Apple and oranges, both are Shelby's, both are great! some like the BMW m3 some like the 7 series....

If you own a shelby, get out and drive it and be thankful you own onw.... many would love to have one :)

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very old argument. Shelby's work crew doing Modifications to MUSTANGS at the old Airplane Hangar in California was not cost effective. and he lost his lease. Shelby moved to Michigan along with production of these cars. I even have factory documents (Warranty payment records) from Shelby to the selling FORD Dealership for repairs to my 1968 GT500 convertible. I have always said that Carroll Shelby looks great in a suit and tie leaning on every year Mustang he has chosen to stick his name on. I have yet to see a picture of him in coveralls, underneath one with grease in his finger nails!! :lol:

ok, first neither car is "better" they have different attributes. The gt500 is absolutely a shelby. as is the shelby GT. The Gt500 is big and fast and in my opinion is a blvd bruiser and drag racing fool. The shelby Gt is lighter, less HP and is an exceptional road car.

Apple and oranges, both are Shelby's, both are great! some like the BMW m3 some like the 7 series....

If you own a shelby, get out and drive it and be thankful you own onw.... many would love to have one :)

Amy

Most of us would disagree with "neither is better"-it all depends on what you wanted, but we all love the Shelby GT or else we wouldn't have one. I was in a position to get whichever of the 2 I wanted and I could have had the GT500 months ago-however, I loved the look of the GT waaaaaaaaaaay better than the GT500. Yeah, the GT500 may have more power, but really where in the practical world can you use 500 HP-we have more power than is useable and we have the distinction of having SAI upfit our cars,whereas the GT500 owners can't say that, I think most of us agree that WE think that's better-The snobby GT500 owners I've met may disagree (especially the moron who drove it to Target and got a nice cart scratch on his passenger side quarter panel :D ), but WE think the Shelby GT is better and ultimately, isn't that what matters. I've also seen way more GT500's on the road than Shelby GT's which is also a plus.

I'm sure if you posted this on the GT500 forum, you'd get similar responses that the GT500 is better-but, what do they know, some of them paid $20k over msrp!! :P

Archived