TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The saga of the hood scoop replacement

Crucible

My dealer ordered a replacement hood scoop in accordance with SAI's instructions. Unfortunately, it showed up without the black strip so another one was ordered. Before they installed it, I checked it out to see if it was "dished" like the one that came with my Shelby GT (#0360). I noticed that the first 2 rivets on the scoop are actually screw holes that take the SAI supplied screws that match the remaining rivets.

After the replacement was finished, my dealer said he wasn't satisfied with the way it looked. When I looked at it, the "dishing" on top of the scoop was gone but the gaps on both sides of the scoop were still there.

My dealer has a call into SAI for 8 more of the rivet screws that he wants to use on the 4 middle rivets on either side of the scoop.

We'll see what happens.

it will be interesting to see what happens with this. I have a bad scoop too and havent dont anything yet. I am waiting until end of summer. I still dont like how they look with the new scoop.

My dealer ordered a replacement hood scoop in accordance with SAI's instructions. Unfortunately, it showed up without the black strip so another one was ordered. Before they installed it, I checked it out to see if it was "dished" like the one that came with my Shelby GT (#0360). I noticed that the first 2 rivets on the scoop are actually screw holes that take the SAI supplied screws that match the remaining rivets.

After the replacement was finished, my dealer said he wasn't satisfied with the way it looked. When I looked at it, the "dishing" on top of the scoop was gone but the gaps on both sides of the scoop were still there.

My dealer has a call into SAI for 8 more of the rivet screws that he wants to use on the 4 middle rivets on either side of the scoop.

We'll see what happens.

I just had mine replaced, and there is no improvement over the original scoop. When I looked at the replacement scoop out of the box, it looked fine ....no bubbles or ripples. My dealer is not happy either with the outcome of the replacement scoop. I have slight ripple on the both sides of the scoop. Does your scoop have any imperfections when you look straight-on at it?

I also have some gaps with the replacement scoop. My dealer thinks that the only way to fix this problem is to rivet in the middle so the scoop sits more flush against the hood. I am worried that if more rivets are applied, the hood may buckle b/c it is made of light aluminum and may not be able to withstand the force of the rivets.

I am going to leave mine alone right now, and observe if it gets worst over time. I think getting another replacement may still not fix the gap issue. I think that there is a design/fit issue with the new scoop.

Lots of scoop issues here too. it's going in for a look next week, but I'm thinking of just living with it until I can save $$$$ for a CS6/8 hood. You know the one...the one that should have been on the car from day one!?!? I was surprised they went with this scoop again in 08!

Hey Matt,

I went with the CS6 hood but for different reasons. I don't have my car yet and was talking to John two weeks ago about the delays and the mod shop and the waiting on back ordered parts and told him I really liked the CS6 hood but didn't want it to delay my car any longer. He told me that he had guys coming over from the Hertz line to do hoods, so I went for it. John was nice enough to send me a picture of the car with the new hood. I have attached a picture. With all the issues everyone is having with the scoops I'm glad I did. Patiently awaiting my ride. :rolleyes: Dave

Hey Matt,

I went with the CS6 hood but for different reasons. I don't have my car yet and was talking to John two weeks ago about the delays and the mod shop and the waiting on back ordered parts and told him I really liked the CS6 hood but didn't want it to delay my car any longer. He told me that he had guys coming over from the Hertz line to do hoods, so I went for it. John was nice enough to send me a picture of the car with the new hood. I have attached a picture. With all the issues everyone is having with the scoops I'm glad I did. Patiently awaiting my ride. :rolleyes: Dave

I too had the hood on order but canceled when I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm glad I did with this last month a joy driving and my thinking now, depending upon finances, shipping it back for even more this winter. I like the way it looks on your car...hopefully you'll see it soon now!

:D

This is exactly why I decided to leave my scoop alone. Its not perfect, but its pretty good and it could be much, much worse.

I do like that cs6 hood. Is it all fiberglass? I assume it has a weight savings to go with it as well?

First off, I want to make it clear that I love my SGT, and I love the way the scoop looks on the car. In addition, after reading some books, I like that it links the SGTs to the older Shelby cars. I think SAI has done a great job on the car and I appreciate all of their work to bring it out in such a short time.

Having said that, I'm concerned about the scoop too. I live in the Chicago area and temperatures have been going up and down - over the past couple of weeks I've seen a high in the 90s and lows in the 50s. I drive my car every day, so I notice the way the scoop fits on the car and it changes every day. Some days the scoop is almost perfect, others there is a 1/8" gap at the back. There are some gaps along the side too (which come and go).

I am trying to ignore it, but that scoop sits right up front on the car. Judging from others in the forum, the new scoop is not the way to go. That leaves me thinking about the CS6/8 hood, but I'd hate to lose the scoop.

At this point I'm just waiting and hoping the SAI comes out with a better solution.

Han.

I am trying to ignore it, but that scoop sits right up front on the car. Judging from others in the forum, the new scoop is not the way to go. That leaves me thinking about the CS6/8 hood, but I'd hate to lose the scoop.

At this point I'm just waiting and hoping the SAI comes out with a better solution.

Han.

Hey Han,

Don't let us talk you out of the scoop. You like what you like. A common thread I've seen on this forum is peope are modifying their cars they way they like them. I for one think the hood scoop is "okay" but have always liked the CS6/8 hood better. I made the switch because it wasn't going to hold up delivery of my car any longer than if I didn't do it. And it is a $1600 change. My decision was to hold off on the 20" wheels until next spring and have SAI do the hood now. Dave

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the photo. I have a white shelby and have been tossing around the CS6/8 hood as a replacement. I've had hood scoop issues from day one and I don't drive mine very often. Living around the St. Louis area it gets hot and over the last several months my scoop has raised on the drivers side alot since my purchase in March. I know you can order the CS6/8 hood from the Shelby site but I wonder if one was to pay extra would SAI paint and stripe it also and ship to customer? Just a thought <_<

My car is #52 and it was loaded onto the first truck to leave Shelby... We've had it since Feb 1 and the scoop is now resolved... There have been fixes to the design along the way and it is far superior to the original.

I had my scoop replaced again this morning. There are no ripples on the sides and it sits flush on the hood. If you have an issue with the scoop, Shelby will make it right - no if's and's or but's... Be patient and thoughtful as grousing about it won't fix it. Besides it's just plain rude...

These are great people at Shelby and they are very proud of the product they are producing for us... Just work with them and all will be right - again.

Just my .02!!! (so flame on)

PROUD owner of #52 and my first Shelby and I couldn't ask for any better car...

Gary

I had my scoop replaced again this morning. There are no ripples on the sides and it sits flush on the hood. If you have an issue with the scoop, Shelby will make it right - no if's and's or but's... Be patient and thoughtful as grousing about it won't fix it. Besides it's just plain rude...

These are great people at Shelby and they are very proud of the product they are producing for us... Just work with them and all will be right - again.

Just my .02!!! (so flame on)

Gary

You're correct. They will.

You're correct. They will.

HI I HAVE # 258 AND BUD SENT ME THE BOLTS TO DO THE FIRST FIX IT AND DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM NOW HAVE A SCOOP COMING TO TRY TO FIX THE PROBLEM . IF IT DON'T FIX IT I GUESS I WILL KEEP TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT THE ONLY THING I DON'T CARE FOR IS I HAVE TO KEEP TAKING MY CAR BACK TO DEALER ,IT SEEMS LIKE SAI WOULD COME UP WITH A FIX AND BE DONE WITH IT ,ITS NICE THAT THEY WELL KEEP SENDING NEW SCOOP'S TO EVERYONE TILL THREE YRS ARE UP .THE GUY WITH #259 IS ON # 3 .JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE MY TWO CENTS WORTH ................................

HI I HAVE # 258 AND BUD SENT ME THE BOLTS TO DO THE FIRST FIX IT AND DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM NOW HAVE A SCOOP COMING TO TRY TO FIX THE PROBLEM . IF IT DON'T FIX IT I GUESS I WILL KEEP TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT THE ONLY THING I DON'T CARE FOR IS I HAVE TO KEEP TAKING MY CAR BACK TO DEALER ,IT SEEMS LIKE SAI WOULD COME UP WITH A FIX AND BE DONE WITH IT ,ITS NICE THAT THEY WELL KEEP SENDING NEW SCOOP'S TO EVERYONE TILL THREE YRS ARE UP .THE GUY WITH #259 IS ON # 3 .JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE MY TWO CENTS WORTH ................................

Have had 2 scoops sent....still having issues. Waiting to see what SAI does about this design. It's not right. It's lifting on both sides again.

Have had 2 scoops sent....still having issues. Waiting to see what SAI does about this design. It's not right. It's lifting on both sides again.

Hind sight is always 20-20, they could have used the GT Appearance Package hood scoop with the 54U Option and it would have also saved time on the conversion. Maybe they'll do it on the 08 SGT.

I'm not a big fan of the hood scoop anyway, you should be able to ask for a delete on this part of the conversion, it's been a pain ............

Just my thoughts GG

Archived