TEAM SHELBY FORUM

17" Wheels on a Shelby GT

ilmor

I was curious to know if 17" wheels will fit on an SGT, and also if they will make the car way too low. The reason I ask is twofold. First, I am going to purchase a set of winter wheels / tires for the car (I know, I know....ugh....but I may need to drive it in the CT winters on rare occasion). Second, those wheels will also serve another purpose; they will be my future Autocross wheels, so I want them to be as light as possible. I would appreciate an SAI chime-in on this!

I was curious to know if 17" wheels will fit on an SGT, and also if they will make the car way too low. The reason I ask is twofold. First, I am going to purchase a set of winter wheels / tires for the car (I know, I know....ugh....but I may need to drive it in the CT winters on rare occasion). Second, those wheels will also serve another purpose; they will be my future Autocross wheels, so I want them to be as light as possible. I would appreciate an SAI chime-in on this!

ilmore, I may likely sell my black SGT stock wheels when I get them in a few weeks. I'm getting the 20 Razors and big brakes so I won't ever be using the 18". I have considered saving them, but since anyone can get them anytime, I see no need to take up storage space. Maybe I can cut out some pieces of the wheels and tires to save some weight for you. LOL

I don't see why the stock Mustang GT wheels wouldn't fit they are 17".

I don't know why I didn't try earlier, but I went to Tire Rack and did the winter tire/wheel package search and several 17" combinations came up including a few nice very lightweight wheels.

I picked up a copy of the latest Grassroots Motorsports mag. They gained 0.2 secs in a 0-60 mpg test using lightweight wheels. Apparently it can free up some serious HP!

Remember, if you change to 17"s, you will also be changing the tire's ratio, or "minus-sizing" your wheels. The total diameter of the tire will not change, you'll just have wider sidewalls. A lot of folks do this for winter wheel and tire packages.

This also ensures your speedometer, odometer, and everything else stays accurate, too.

Play with The Tire Rack's website, and you can even see what the minus-sizing will look like on the car.

They're usually pretty good on the phone, too. Call 'em up. The question you need to know is whether the wheels will clear the calipers, etc... but I think our cars will mimic a Mustang GT, shouldn't be a hassle.

Jer

Remember, if you change to 17"s, you will also be changing the tire's ratio, or "minus-sizing" your wheels. The total diameter of the tire will not change, you'll just have wider sidewalls. A lot of folks do this for winter wheel and tire packages.

This also ensures your speedometer, odometer, and everything else stays accurate, too.

Play with The Tire Rack's website, and you can even see what the minus-sizing will look like on the car.

They're usually pretty good on the phone, too. Call 'em up. The question you need to know is whether the wheels will clear the calipers, etc... but I think our cars will mimic a Mustang GT, shouldn't be a hassle.

Jer

I missed your post by a few minutes...hahaha...I think I type too slow! (Or you type really fast!)

Jer

I don't know why I didn't try earlier, but I went to Tire Rack and did the winter tire/wheel package search and several 17" combinations came up including a few nice very lightweight wheels.

I picked up a copy of the latest Grassroots Motorsports mag. They gained 0.2 secs in a 0-60 mpg test using lightweight wheels. Apparently it can free up some serious HP!

You know, I wouldn't be surprised. When I adjusted my sway bars I could not believe how heavy the front wheels and tires were. They had to be 50-60 lbs each. That is a lot of weight to drag around.

Archived