TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT versus Roush BlackJack

ShelbyGT/SC

Okay, I am absolutely not an expert at all about the Roush Mustangs. I could be totally wrong about some of my opinions so forgive me right from the beginning. And, my intention for this post is not at all to bash the Roush or start any dialog of the same. I think there was already a thread about that a while ago anyway. Instead, I want to mention my opinion about the Roush, and in particular, the BlackJack.

Today, I stopped by the dealer that I had originally given my first verbal offer to purchase the SGT (found a better price elsewhere). They are the dealer closest to my home. I heard a rumor that they had a BlackJack so I wanted to go and check it out, just out of curiosity. It turns out that the SGT they ordered for me in February was still on the lot since its May delivery.

Well, of course the BlackJack is a pretty good looking car, but I have to say that I really think the SGT is far greater looking. Call it bias or just my own taste, but looking at all the Roush cars parked near the SGT side-by-side, the SGT really stood out. These guys are clearly a Roush dealer with about 12 cars and 4 or 5 Roush F150's (now those looked really cool).

So, in the 5-10 minutes I spent looking at the BlackJack, here is what I noticed:

- Front fascia: The BlackJack fascia looks cool; at first. But when you really look at the lines, it gets too busy. There are too many lines and sharp edges mixed with curves.

- Grille: Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Mustang GT grille with the big inner headlights and the honeycomb design. I know it sort of mimics the vintage Shelby's and Mustangs, but it doesn't really do much for me. I did like how Swede or Stump did his inner lights, however, but that's because there weren't two large inner bulbs staring out at you and the SGT grille is what catches the eye. I was surprised to see that Roush didn't even touch the grille.

- Stripe: There is a very wide stripe on the car that almost looks like a painted piece of very thin tar paper. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but that's just what it looked like to me. It is matte black, very wide and the corners weren't sharp at all. Maybe that was the design, or maybe the guy who put this on had a bad day, but it didn't look great.

- Scoop: The scoop looked okay, but I really like ours a great deal better. I love the rivets and the size and shape of ours.

- Chrome wheels: As most of you know, I began with the black SGT and immediately wanted the polished wheels rather than the black. But over time, the black grew on me and later I was 100% for the black. The polished wheels look nice, but I really like the black much better. You would figure that they would have their wheels black for the BlackJack, but they didn't ask for my opinion - LOL.

- Red brakes: loved them. It's an option for us too.

- Roush front fender emblem: they're okay, but I like the "Powered by Ford" ones much better.

- Side rocker panels with matching flaps all around the car: To me, this makes the car look too gaudy. Again, too many lines, sharp edges and curves make it too busy.

- Rear spoiler: absolutely hated it. Come to think of it, the Saleen spoiler is even worse. To me, they are all way too big and long and take up way too much of the deck lid. I am not a big fan of our SGT spoiler option either. My favorite one would be the GT500, especially after seeing it on RIHarley's car the other day. But I much prefer to keep my SGT's A$$ bare.

- Rear fascia: looked pretty cool. Liked the lines there, except for the extra flap as mentioned above.

- Faux gas cap: Liked it. They replaced the "Ford" word with "Stage" and the center was a big red "3" which matched the front fender badge (I think). Of course, I will like what ever design we end up with.

- Square tail pipe ends: Looked pretty cool. Nice touch, but I still prefer the round ones.

- Quarter Window Louvers: Looked okay, not a big fan, much prefer scoops or block-off plates.

- Rear window louver: A little too much. Again, busy and gaudy. Not sure if this was for all BlackJacks or just this one.

- Engine bay: They had a nice Roush badge like the Shelby one right in the same spot. Nice touch, even for copycats. This one was car #30 out of 100. Plus it said 430 HP. Any of ours with the S/C will be much more than that. Little too much billet aluminum everywhere.

- Interior: Again, gaudy inside just as bad as outside. Didn't like the chrome trim around the gauges.

- Carbon Fiber: Did not like the carbon fiber look at all. Added way too much to the gaudy factor.

- Pedals: I liked the pedals a lot. Other than the gas pedal looking like a couple of #5 dice (I think), they were a nice touch.

- Front Seats: Absolutely loved the seats. They were awesome. Nice leather and a nice design on them (although I don't remember what the design was). I think it said Roush or Stage 3 or something else.

- Gauges: Also loved the gauges. They looked great, except for the gaudy chrome around them, but the design was really nice.

- Price: this used one was $52k with 250 or 2500 miles on it (I think it was used, especially with the miles, but I didn't really pay attention or ask). I just saw one on eBay for $57k and another for $58k. Either way, they are asking a great deal more then SAI is if you put them apples to apples. Even if you took the SGT (say at $39k) and added the $6400 S/C, big brakes ($2400 or big red brakes add about another $1500 I guess), 20" wheels ($2175), a spoiler ($500) and a few other items, you're still in the $51k - $53k range for a new car. Even give them $1000 or so for the seats. Plus, there is no possible way to put a value on a Shelby over any other but again, I don't want to go down that road.

So as mentioned, this was just my observations from spending just a few minutes looking at the car and then writing down some notes as I drove away. I am not at all trying to bash the Roush so please don't bother trying to do that here or try to argue with my opinions or defend Roush or the car. I think it is a very nice looking car with some nice features. I just wanted to compare it to what my final car will look like since I had the opportunity to look at one just down the street from my home. I thought I'd simply share my thoughts with my Shelby Friends.

Obviously, to me, nothing compares to a Shelby. You all know my thoughts about that from the discussion a while ago.

As I drove away, I caught the Shelby again in my rear view mirror against the Roush Mustangs and had a big proud smile with my usual phrase in my mind; "I own a Shelby."

I hear ya Adam. I saw a Roush 427R at a car show last month. The dealer who had it there is a dealer I almost bought an SGT from but it didnt have the IUP. Anyway they are a Roush dealer up here in Southern Maine. It was nice but just wasnt my taste. Too much in your face stuff. To me it just didnt fit together. And I am not a big Boss mustang fan to begin with so one huge stripe down the side or hood turns me off. I know they were powerhouse mustangs but I have just never been a fan. And for the money I want more than 427 HP. I guess we are just getting old and arent into all that flash ;)

From what I understand, there are only 100 BalckJacks made and they were all sold before introduction. They did a little spread in last months 5.0 magazine. Very exclusive car with excellent suspension, brakes, and power. Personally, I would do the Roush if the price was right. The choice, of course, is yours (it's your money).

I wish I had some sort of SVT dealer near me.....

Wow; I hadn't seen the BlackJack. That is a very well-done car, and it comes standard with fog lights...

Obviously, I still like the SGT, but that is a nice looking car. Their 427 is nice as well, but a little to flashy for my taste.

I used to really like the Saleens, but I'm not as big a fan of the post-2005 styling as I was of the 1999 - 2004's. Just me, but I'm not a fan of the concave tail light panel. The grabber orange Parnelli Jones edition, however, would be in my garage now if it weren't for the cost.

The grabber orange Parnelli Jones edition, however, would be in my garage now if it weren't for the cost.

+1 For the Saleen/Parnelli S302. Limited to 500. The shaker hood, the upgraded engine.....pretty sweet. MSRP is $59,015. Personally signed by Steve and Parnelli. Saleen MOD 302 V8 3-valve engine, producing 400 HP at 6000 RPM and 390 ft-lb of torque at 4000 RPM naturally aspirated. They did a full spread on it in 5.0 mag about 2 months ago.

side.jpg

Ok I'll chime in here. I originally was going to buy a Rousch. However when I went to look at it there were many things I did not like about the car. When comparing a $40K Rousch to a $40K Shelby there was absolutely NO comparision. The Rousch had WAY to many bolt on things and a really mismatched exterior in my opinion. I mean even the louvers had bolts showing, no sleek edges on the car. They have 17" (seventeen) inch wheels which shows you they are cutting corners again. Also the Rousch is just to "common" of a car. They are every where and they do not have the exclusive name of a Shelby. Also if you have seen one Rousch you have seen them all except for the striping. I mean the 427R and the BlackJack look the same as a Stage 1. So I am NOT a fan of the Rousch, way to common for me, but I do like the touch of embroidered seats.

EDIT: The BlackJack does have 18" inch chrome wheels, sorry my mistake.

If you think about it Jack Roush and Steve Saleen have been extremly successful in marketing and selling their products for years. I read the same think only 100 units and the headrests are embroided with BLACKJACK. The black striping blends into the color. Not as bold and in your face as the 427R. He has the Stage's 1-3, the 427R and the BLACKJACK. Lot's of cars to lot's of dealer's. The dealer network would help a great deal also, I would assume. Especially if they have a performance division. Seems to be the thing in some areas of the country.

It was a natural that SAI would fit into this catagory. Out of the 3 names Shelby and Roush go way back. Makes me wonder why it took so long for SAI. I would think that would be another topic altogether.

With Roush's success I'm very glad Shelby came out with their own signature products.

Probably a dumb question but are Jack Roush and Steve Saleen kind of like Carroll Shelby but for a newer generation?

Actually stump......a very interesting one at that. Roush was big in drag racing in the 60's while Carroll was racing in entirely different venues. Almost the same period. I think there may be about 10 -15 years difference though in age. Steve Saleen is really the "newer generation" guy. His company really seemed to take off after his association the "Tim the Toolman Taylor" Tim Allen. Lots of exposure with the success of the TV show and his association with Steve Saleen. I'm sure others will add to this.

Actually stump......a very interesting one at that. Roush was big in drag racing in the 60's while Carroll was racing in entirely different venues. Almost the same period. I think there may be about 10 -15 years difference though in age. Steve Saleen is really the "newer generation" guy. His company really seemed to take off after his association the "Tim the Toolman Taylor" Tim Allen. Lots of exposure with the success of the TV show and his association with Steve Saleen. I'm sure others will add to this.

So we have:

Shelby

Roush

Saleen

Various Ford versions

Cervin (spelling?)

Steeda (or is that just accessories?)

The Mustang sure is a versatile little thing. No wonder it consistently can get spanked by a Camaro (stock for stock) but the Mustang prevailed. :D

With all due respect to two of greatest Ford racers ever Roush & Saleen, there will never be another Shelby. There might be faster and quicker but never will anyone surpass the legend that Carrol Shelby has built. That in its self is worth a fortune. Mark

Ok I'll chime in here. I originally was going to buy a Rousch. However when I went to look at it there were many things I did not like about the car. When comparing a $40K Rousch to a $40K Shelby there was absolutely NO comparision. The Rousch had WAY to many bolt on things and a really mismatched exterior in my opinion. I mean even the louvers had bolts showing, no sleek edges on the car. They have 17" (seventeen) inch wheels which shows you they are cutting corners again. Also the Rousch is just to "common" of a car. They are every where and they do not have the exclusive name of a Shelby. Also if you have seen one Rousch you have seen them all except for the striping. I mean the 427R and the BlackJack look the same as a Stage 1. So I am NOT a fan of the Rousch, way to common for me, but I do like the touch of embroidered seats.

EDIT: The BlackJack does have 18" inch chrome wheels, sorry my mistake.

Well said swede and the rest of you guys.

And, thanks all for keeping this topic civil. I was afraid I might have opened a can of worms.

As mentioned before, and in this topic, no one can compare to the original Legend, Carroll Shelby. All the other guys certainly deserve lots of credit and they all make really nice cars. I just put Carroll and his cars light years ahead of the others all put together.

As mentioned before, and in this topic, no one can compare to the original Legend, Carroll Shelby. All the other guys certainly deserve lots of credit and they all make really nice cars. I just put Carroll and his cars light years ahead of the others all put together.

I actually considered a Roush on a couple of occasions-there is a local dealer and a guy about a half hour north of me that between the 2 must have 50 Roush's to chose from. the 427R could be had in blue, grabber orange, white, black, red or gray. 1 BlackJack-not a very nice looking stripe job, I agree-maybe it needed a fine red on each side to match the brakes/set it off or something. And more stage 1-3's than you could imagine in every available color. the feature I liked the most about the Roush was the seats with the exterior color matching insets/roush embroidery. As I've said before Roush and Saleen wish they were Carroll Shelby. I wish the SGT had silver inset on the black seat with embroidered headrests,but we can't have everything. With that many roushs available around here routinely, they are almost as common as V6's. We have a local Saleen dealer also-as was said earlier-that tail-light panel is UGLY!!! Other than the Parnelli Jones edition, not a fan---his earlier stuff was better looking, but I do like his horsepower. All in all, I'm very happy that I will eventually have my Shelby. I didn't grow up dreaming of saleens or roushs-I did Shelbys.

I don't know how many of you remember seeing it but M Roush's personal Blackjack was sold at Barret Jackson on the same night as #1 & #2 Shelby GTs last winter. While the Shelby GTs saw a selling price of $600,000 the Blackjack sold fo $75,000.

That being said I suspect that 40 years from now Roush Mustangs will see values comparable (adjusted fo inflation) to what 60's era Shelby Mustangs get now. Simply because the kids growing up to day know who Jack Roush is from NASCAR and road racing much the same as some of you knew who Mr. Shelby was from his racing adventures.

I personally like the stealthy look of the BlackJack, but the 427R....I agree with Webba, SGT wins in appearance.

Savage- But you don't own a Shelby so you really don't know 100% for sure. Besides you are talking approx. $15K MORE for the Black Jack and it still is not as nice as the Shelby! Sorry but that is the truth and correct me if I am wrong- B)

Savage- But you don't own a Shelby so you really don't know 100% for sure. Besides you are talking approx. $15K MORE for the Black Jack and it still is not as nice as the Shelby! Sorry but that is the truth and correct me if I am wrong- B)

WTF :( ? I took delivery 3/24 of #1193. I own half, the bank owns the other ;) (it's on my avatar). I was just pointing out that I dig the look of the BlackJack. I am not going to trade-in my SGT, but would consider another LE if the price was right.

Maybe I don't understand your comment...

I don't know how many of you remember seeing it but M Roush's personal Blackjack was sold at Barret Jackson on the same night as #1 & #2 Shelby GTs last winter. While the Shelby GTs saw a selling price of $600,000 the Blackjack sold fo $75,000.

That being said I suspect that 40 years from now Roush Mustangs will see values comparable (adjusted fo inflation) to what 60's era Shelby Mustangs get now. Simply because the kids growing up to day know who Jack Roush is from NASCAR and road racing much the same as some of you knew who Mr. Shelby was from his racing adventures.

Yea that SGT went for 600k more because of it being for charity. I think it still would have far exceeded the Roush regardless.

And Mark, Roush and Saleen may be faster and quicker but thats only because Mr. Shelby is in his 80's and the other 2 guys are only in their late 50's. We cant expect Carrol to run as fast as he used to!! ;)

WTF :( ? I took delivery 3/24 of #1193. I own half, the bank owns the other ;) (it's on my avatar). I was just pointing out that I dig the look of the BlackJack. I am not going to trade-in my SGT, but would consider another LE if the price was right.

Maybe I don't understand your comment...

Savage1969 - SORRY! I just really get peeved when some of these posters who talk sh*t about the SGT and they do not EVEN have the car so they really don't know what they are comparing the car to. So SORRY on the mix up, and that is why I said "correct me if I am wrong", because I thought I might be! :)

Savage1969 - SORRY! I just really get peeved when some of these posters who talk sh*t about the SGT and they do not EVEN have the car so they really don't know what they are comparing the car to. So SORRY on the mix up, and that is why I said "correct me if I am wrong", because I thought I might be! :)

I can feel the love.

Now if only I had my car. banghead.gif

Swede, am I disqualified since I don't have a car (yet)?

Just kidding.

I had to come home early to see if it was still in the garage! I thought for a second that maybe Swede had surveillance on my place and noticed someone jacking my ride! :lol:

It was Roger and I trying to get a preview---sorry!!!!

:D

I can feel the love.

Now if only I had my car. banghead.gif

Swede, am I disqualified since I don't have a car (yet)?

Just kidding.

Oh you are totally DISQUALIFIED even if you had your car!!!! I love the attitude. :P

I had to come home early to see if it was still in the garage! I thought for a second that maybe Swede had surveillance on my place and noticed someone jacking my ride! :lol:

The camera is out side under the first shingle@ :lol::lol::lol:

Archived