TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Speed?

ZepDad

Since I'm too risk averse to find out myself (read "chicken s***") I must live through other people's experiences. What top speeds are being reached? Names will be changed to protect the guilty.

Personally I have hit 120 with what seemed like plenty of power to spare.

Actually at 120 the car was surprisingly stable. I thought the rear would be a little squirly without the spoiler but it wasn't.

yup i did 120 also at the freeway and it didn't feel like 120, the car felt stable but I didn't want to go further because of the alignment issues we currently have on these cars.

yup i did 120 also at the freeway and it didn't feel like 120, the car felt stable but I didn't want to go further because of the alignment issues we currently have on these cars.

We have alignment issues? I hadn't noticed anything unusual. But, not to steal the thread; its interesting to see above that the top end is a verified 154! B)

I've hit ~135 before I shutdown. Stump is right, with the current gearing and normally aspirated, the car stops pulling due to tall 5th gear.

The guys with the 4:10's are probably better in the know, even though their top end will suffer a bit. I think SAI utilized the 3:55's because they are better suited in these cars blown.

Now the big debate: keep it N/A and run 4:10's or get a Whipple or Paxton and keep the 3:55's. That's my current personal delima.

Just my 2 cents. Just be carefull out there, I would suggest saving the lead foot for closed course, especially if there is one close to your proximity.

The 154 was the top end of the Mustang GT with stock gears...I cant remember what the gear ratio was but Im sure someone on here will know.; I havent heard whatthe top speed on ours is N/A or with the S/C.

I've hit ~135 before I shutdown. Stump is right, with the current gearing and normally aspirated, the car stops pulling due to tall 5th gear.

The guys with the 4:10's are probably better in the know, even though their top end will suffer a bit. I think SAI utilized the 4:55's because they are better suited in these cars blown.

Now the big debate: keep it N/A and run 4:10's or get a Whipple or Paxton and keep the 4:55's. That's my current personal delima.

Just my 2 cents. Just be carefull out there, I would suggest saving the lead foot for closed course, especially if there is one close to your proximity.

4.55's ?

4.10's on a blown car, your probably going to run out of gear quick, 3.73's would maybe be better suited for a blown car and 4.10's for a N/A car. I would think that the faster your motor builds torq (Blower) the lesser the gear you would need because, changing to lower ratio gears (Higher Number) is basicly mechanicly multiplying torq.

Actually at 120 the car was surprisingly stable. I thought the rear would be a little squirly without the spoiler but it wasn't.

+1

Very stable at 120 mph when I did it and felt like it could pull at least another 20 mph or more. I don't know what alignment issues you would worry about. I know others who have gone 140 without a problem.

Ed I am in agreement with you on outrunning the gear. Mine is at SAI for the SC and the tallest I will go is 3:73's. 4:10's for the NA car is just about right. Lot's of debate with the gear ratio's. I have stated in other threads, it really is all about how you are going to use the car.

I've had mine up to about 145, it was past the 140 mark anyway. If i had some more road i would have stayed on the gas. The car was amazingly stable above 130. I think the suspension upgrades are a huge help once you get over 100. As far as the gears, i'm thinking about going with 3.73's when i add some headers pretty soon. I'm expecting a really nice noticable gain with that. My S/C i hope will be installed by the end of the summer, and i'll stick with the 3.73's. i just think 4.10's would be to much. B)

most of the FI guys say 355-380 are as big as you wanna go cuz the pull is so much greater.

RIHarley of this forum strongly disagrees with you Emperor on the 355-380 rule. He has just installed 4:10's and says the car "leaps" out of the hole. This has been witnessed by Adowyer i.e.: Adam who is getting a SC on his car. I too am going with the 4:10's. But each to their own. B)

Archived