TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Waxing the Stripes

Hot Pony

Does anyone know whether or not you should wax the stripes on the SGT? I have heard different views on the subject. Will wax cause a problem down the road for the stripe? Will wax build up where the stripe ends and the paint begins? Am I stressing over nothing? I would like to know for sure before I give my car it's first set of coats. Thanks with the help.

Joe

Does anyone know whether or not you should wax the stripes on the SGT? I have heard different views on the subject. Will wax cause a problem down the road for the stripe? Will wax build up where the stripe ends and the paint begins? Am I stressing over nothing? I would like to know for sure before I give my car it's first set of coats. Thanks with the help.

Joe

I put a very light coat of carnuba over my stripes..used my finger tip to apply very thin. The detailer told me this will help with UV protection and fading etc. Very very thin coat.

Having owned several RV's w/ graphics, those manufacturers always have stated do not use wax on the stripes / graphics. They recommend a non-silicone based cleaner / uv protectant, such as 303. As for the Ford recommendations, I have not looked in the owner's manual yet to see what they say.

I have Zaino'd mine too and it looks great when done. The polish shouldnt effect the stripes as they are made of vinyl...pvc...and should be pretty chemically resistant.

I would love to have mine painted as well Stump. I may in time. I need mine fixed by the dealer for bad alignment but that is what winter is for :)

Winter for you southern b*stards is when its gets cold...like you wont leave the house cold. And then we get what is called "snow". Its what happens to rain when it gets cold. ;)

I would love to have mine painted as well Stump. I may in time. I need mine fixed by the dealer for bad alignment but that is what winter is for :)

Winter for you southern b*stards is when its gets cold...like you wont leave the house cold. And then we get what is called "snow". Its what happens to rain when it gets cold. ;)

LOL....

I know who my daddy is I just don't know where he is.

We know what cold is, at least some of us do. I think we had a cold snap about 20 years ago or so. I remember having to turn a heater on. As for snow, I think we had one of those about 5 years ago. Thats the white powdery stuff right?

LOL but dont confuse it with the other white powdery stuff ;) And when you see it falling from the sky dont panic and call Hazmat and the FBI cause it isnt Al Queda :)

Yea, yea, yea, whatever. You can bust us on "snow" when you northerners learn what a chicken fried steak and peanut patties are! :D

BTW, back on the subject of stripes and waxing, anyone ever notice the car is painted black with silver vinyl stripes and the scoop is painted silver with a black vinyl stripe? At least mine is.

I just noticed this the other day.

LOL Stump, I know what the chicken fried steak is but have never had the peanuts.

Yea I just noticed the scopp thing myself when I was polishing it last week. Mine is white but the scoop is still painted silver and then has the white stripe. Makes sense. Keeps the price lower by all 6000 using the same scoop.

Joe

I asked Mequiars the same question and here is their reply:

---On 2007-06-02 04:26:00.0 You Wrote Us---

I have a new 2007 Shelby GT Mustang and it is black with silver vinyl stripes. I've used your Cleaner Wax and your Gold Class paste wax on it with great results! I've since heard that it is not good to use these on the stripes, which is odd since using the products just for vinyl and rubber say don't let them come in contact with paint, which would be impossible to do since the stripes are on the paint! The overall idea of using something different for the stripes than the paint seems rather impractical.

What so you suggest I do since I have a fresh coat of your Gold Class paste on the car?

Thank you for contacting Meguiar's. On any smooth (non-textured) vinyl stripe we would recommend just simply applying a good coat of wax. If the stripe were not smooth to the touch it could leave some nasty residue on it. We don't recommend using any cleaners on those sorts of stripes, and probably wouldn't recommend using the Cleaner/Wax on those stripes either. They probably won't cause any harm, but we would rather error on the side of safety, so as a result we don't recommend anything more aggressive than a wax. I hope that information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact us back, and we'll do everything we can to assist. Thank you for your support, and we look forward to serving your car care needs in the future.

Sincerely,

Rick McDonough

rmcdonough@meguiars.com

1.800.854.8073 x 153

Meguiar's Customer Care

I have a new 2007 Shelby GT Mustang and it is black with silver vinyl stripes. I've used your Cleaner Wax and your Gold Class paste wax on it with great results! I've since heard that it is not good to use these on the stripes, which is odd since using the products just for vinyl and rubber say don't let them come in contact with paint, which would be impossible to do since the stripes are on the paint! The overall idea of using something different for the stripes than the paint seems rather impractical.

What so you suggest I do since I have a fresh coat of your Gold Class paste on the car?

Thank you for contacting Meguiar's. On any smooth (non-textured) vinyl stripe we would recommend just simply applying a good coat of wax. If the stripe were not smooth to the touch it could leave some nasty residue on it. We don't recommend using any cleaners on those sorts of stripes, and probably wouldn't recommend using the Cleaner/Wax on those stripes either. They probably won't cause any harm, but we would rather error on the side of safety, so as a result we don't recommend anything more aggressive than a wax. I hope that information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact us back, and we'll do everything we can to assist. Thank you for your support, and we look forward to serving your car care needs in the future.

Sincerely,

Rick McDonough

rmcdonough@meguiars.com

1.800.854.8073 x 153

Meguiar's Customer Care

Stump...i am concerned you just noticed this !!! :P :D Do you have good ventilation in that barn ?????? :D

Great info! Thanks

Sincerely,

Rick McDonough

rmcdonough@meguiars.com

1.800.854.8073 x 153

Meguiar's Customer Care

I put a very light coat of carnuba over my stripes..used my finger tip to apply very thin. The detailer told me this will help with UV protection and fading etc. Very very thin coat.

Thanks for the heads up.

....I used Zaino on the car and over the stripes. It leaves no residue along the edges. Long term......I don't know......if a problem occurs it would be a good excuse to give my wife for having them painted.

Amen to the paint...Thanks.

Having owned several RV's w/ graphics, those manufacturers always have stated do not use wax on the stripes / graphics. They recommend a non-silicone based cleaner / uv protectant, such as 303. As for the Ford recommendations, I have not looked in the owner's manual yet to see what they say.

Thanks for the reply

I have Zaino'd mine too and it looks great when done. The polish shouldnt effect the stripes as they are made of vinyl...pvc...and should be pretty chemically resistant.

Thanks for the reply

My stripes shine like the rest of the car. I've even run my DA buffer over them without problems.

I'm still a big proponent for having them removed and painted but at $1500 the stripes will stay on awhile longer.

Agreed! Thanks for the reply

Archived