TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does ProCal tuner come with the car?

SWEDESHELBY1

Ross GT and myself are unsure if the ProCal tuner that SAI uses comes with the car when it is delivered to the retail customer i.e.: me! The reason we want to know this is I am going to install new gears possibly 4:10's or 3:73's and need it for the speedometer recalibration. Please let us know if that tuners comes with the car when delivered or if not can we get it from SAI or do we have to buy a new programer to make this change? I have looked everywhere and the tuiner is no where to be found in the car, I am wondering if the detailer thought it would be a good toy and "accidently" left it on the detail bench?!?

Thanks in advance for your response. :)

This was asked someplace else, and the answer was no, and I did not get on with my car. The Shelby Tune is unique and isn't the one from FOMOCO anyway. Not sure what the process is to have a dealer update. I don't remember the thread now sorry.

Thanks MattC, I thought I saw the thread also but I could not locate it. I am just trying to get everything together for my gear swap and want to do it the right way from the gate. I think my choice will be 373's since I drive my car each day unless it is extremely bad weather.

Ok,,,,,here is another view. I could be wrong here.

The install at SAI consists of the Ford Racing Handling Pkg. They add the X pipe. Then they add the CAI performance Pkg. This incluedes the CAI, Ford performance exhaust and with the package comes the pro cal tuner. he Hurst shifter is installed as the SAI pkg. The Ford Performance Site includes the tuner if you purchase the pkg. you have a coupon to connect and activate your tuner. The question is, why would you not have this if it is essentially the Ford Performance pkg? I'm sure one rationale would be because Ford or SAI doesn't wamt the tuner in the hands of people who don't know the right side of a screwdriver. But then again, if you purchase the pkg. from Ford you do get it as part of the pkg.

Sort of like if you have the SC option installed, I read in another thread, they place the Ford Racing CAI in the trunk of the car. So what good does that do when you don't have the calibration tool? And another question, do you get a pro cal when you upgrade to the SC? I assume the answer there is also no.

I would think with the install of these packages you should receive all of the componants.

Swede,

Looks like you can change out your gears then go to a SCT tuner, dealer and have the car tuned. That price vaires with the tuner. Custom tunes are not usually cheap per say. And selection of the tuner is critical.

I am fortunate enough to have a firend who is an SCT dealer/tuner. But I feel for the other's out there who need to outlay additional cash for a tool which should come with the car. Look at the price of the package. But that and .02 will never get you a cup of coffee.

Thanks MattC, I thought I saw the thread also but I could not locate it. I am just trying to get everything together for my gear swap and want to do it the right way from the gate. I think my choice will be 373's since I drive my car each day unless it is extremely bad weather.

I really think you selected the right gear for your situation. I will be doing the same.

Ok,,,,,here is another view. I could be wrong here.

The install at SAI consists of the Ford Racing Handling Pkg. They add the X pipe. Then they add the CAI performance Pkg. This incluedes the CAI, Ford performance exhaust and with the package comes the pro cal tuner. he Hurst shifter is installed as the SAI pkg. The Ford Performance Site includes the tuner if you purchase the pkg. you have a coupon to connect and activate your tuner. The question is, why would you not have this if it is essentially the Ford Performance pkg? I'm sure one rationale would be because Ford or SAI doesn't wamt the tuner in the hands of people who don't know the right side of a screwdriver. But then again, if you purchase the pkg. from Ford you do get it as part of the pkg.

Sort of like if you have the SC option installed, I read in another thread, they place the Ford Racing CAI in the trunk of the car. So what good does that do when you don't have the calibration tool? And another question, do you get a pro cal when you upgrade to the SC? I assume the answer there is also no.

I would think with the install of these packages you should receive all of the componants.

Swede,

Looks like you can change out your gears then go to a SCT tuner, dealer and have the car tuned. That price vaires with the tuner. Custom tunes are not usually cheap per say. And selection of the tuner is critical.

I am fortunate enough to have a firend who is an SCT dealer/tuner. But I feel for the other's out there who need to outlay additional cash for a tool which should come with the car. Look at the price of the package. But that and .02 will never get you a cup of coffee.

I really think you selected the right gear for your situation. I will be doing the same.

Rossgt- My Blue Oval High-Pro dealer will be installing the 373's then I will have him do a SCT tune on the car, done deal now that I have done my research. I do appreciate your input as I do not want to spend good money then turn right around and find out I should have done it differently. So that is what I am going to do.

FYI- I also have installed side window scoops & GT500 spoiler with theSGT stripes. The car, even though not stock now, looks incredible and people just can not keep their eyes off of it, I love it! :):)

Once you load a performance tune into the cars computer, don't you save the stock tune in the programmer so it can be changed back if needed? Doesn't the stock tune have to be put back in the car and the performance tune back in the programmer to reuse it? Whats the dealer going to do if they have to plug into it for some reason. When i had my Mach i was told if i changed the tune, to put the factory tune back in before i brought it up, if it was for something they had to plug their diagnostic machine into, as it could fry the computer. If all this is true, then the programmer should come with the car.

Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me on this.

Noel

Once you load a performance tune into the cars computer, don't you save the stock tune in the programmer so it can be changed back if needed? Doesn't the stock tune have to be put back in the car and the performance tune back in the programmer to reuse it? Whats the dealer going to do if they have to plug into it for some reason. When i had my Mach i was told if i changed the tune, to put the factory tune back in before i brought it up, if it was for something they had to plug their diagnostic machine into, as it could fry the computer. If all this is true, then the programmer should come with the car.

Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me on this.

Noel

Noel,

That's why I posed the question. The hand held programer, from little I do know should have the stock tune in it. You save it and load the performance tune. That gives you the ability to change back to the original tune. So I look at as being a necesscary tool. I am having my tuner download the tune that comes from SAI so we will have as a reference point and can reload if needed. But same as Swede, I am changing out to 3:73's, contemplating upgrading to the Eibach coil over's as on the SSnake and adding the Saleen 3 point watts link and panhard bar setup, along with the Ford Racing billet aluminum lower control arms and urethane bushings. I plan on doing some on track and autocross.

Noel,

That's why I posed the question. The hand held programer, from little I do know should have the stock tune in it. You save it and load the performance tune. That gives you the ability to change back to the original tune. So I look at as being a necesscary tool. I am having my tuner download the tune that comes from SAI so we will have as a reference point and can reload if needed. But same as Swede, I am changing out to 3:73's, contemplating upgrading to the Eibach coil over's as on the SSnake and adding the Saleen 3 point watts link and panhard bar setup, along with the Ford Racing billet aluminum lower control arms and urethane bushings. I plan on doing some on track and autocross.

Thanks Ross.

Unless they have something the average person can't get, to tune multiple cars with from the manufacturer (pro cal) i think the customer should get the programmer with his car.

Noel,

The first time you use the SCT tuner, it automaticaly saves the tune thats in the car now (Shelby/Ford) to the tuner before it will allow you you to re-program your puter with the new tune. The the STC tuner will be "LOCKED" to your car after that point and can not be used on another car unless you use the "Live" software that comes with the tuner to unlock it. This is the same software that you will use to upload any new tunes or updated tunes from your tuner to your SCT that are updated from your tuner. You just have to be carefull when taking your car in for service because sometimes they will re-flash your car to update the software in the car and that also includes tuning perameters. So be advised that you read your stratagy code in your tuner before taking it in and write it down. When you get your car back, check the strategy code again and if its different Do Not Try To Re-Flash with your tunes that you have in your SCT, the car will not start because the tuner has a different reference code then what the dealer just flashed, So get all the info from the dealer that you purchase your SCT from before you use it. It will save some head ache's.

Thanks Ross.

Unless they have something the average person can't get, to tune multiple cars with from the manufacturer (pro cal) i think the customer should get the programmer with his car.

If I remember correctly SAI doesn't get these as part of the special package they get from Ford. They get the parts listed but not the typical packaging as an individual SKU with the programmer and directions etc., they just get these BIG boxes of individual parts not the kit per se. At least that's my understanding. In other words there is no big box of these things sitting at SAI.

If I remember correctly SAI doesn't get these as part of the special package they get from Ford. They get the parts listed but not the typical packaging as an individual SKU with the programmer and directions etc., they just get these BIG boxes of individual parts not the kit per se. At least that's my understanding. In other words there is no big box of these things sitting at SAI.

Im sure when the cars computer is calibrated, I'm guessing they don't think we are going to want to mess with this kind of stuff (Tuning) or maybe don't want us messing with the tune, so the programmer may just get sent back to Ford Racing?

Agreed as well. Do they actually think with all the technology available, that we'll actually keep the mild tune that is on the Shelby GT? NOT. Too much available out there for performance. My Blue Oval High Pro Dealer said the tune on the SGT is very mild. A standard GT with a good SCT tune is pushing about 300 ponies to the rear wheels and he said the SGT should be able to safely do about 310-20 RWHP with the set up it has on it now! That just makes the hair stand up on my arms.

Agreed as well. Do they actually think with all the technology available, that we'll actually keep the mild tune that is on the Shelby GT? NOT. Too much available out there for performance. My Blue Oval High Pro Dealer said the tune on the SGT is very mild. A standard GT with a good SCT tune is pushing about 300 ponies to the rear wheels and he said the SGT should be able to safely do about 310-20 RWHP with the set up it has on it now! That just makes the hair stand up on my arms.

Agreed.....................

But you have to remember that the car had to be smog legal for California sothats why its on the mild side. I changed my tune about 2 weeks after i had it and have not looked back. Im looking forward to dyno tuning it to get the most out of it before i start bolting stuff onto it. :)

a couple of additions to the discussion:

The supercharged cars are delivered with a Diablo tuner. Mine is still in the box.

Ross, you mentioned the Saleen watts link. When I picked my car up last month Shelby was in the process of developing or licensing a watts link of their own. I don't know what the time line is or where they are at in that process. I decided against one when I saw how exspensive one was from another company/

The supercharged cars are delivered with a Diablo tuner. Mine is still in the box.

Ross, you mentioned the Saleen watts link. When I picked my car up last month Shelby was in the process of developing or licensing a watts link of their own. I don't know what the time line is or where they are at in that process. I decided against one when I saw how exspensive one was from another company/

That's great information. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I read in another post of yours that the Diablo was in the box? That's what stuck in my mind. Sorry everyone for the confusion.

On the watts link.......looks like I'm going to wait. <_<

I think, again, this is due to the fact that in the volumes they are doing SAI is getting a standard SC package from Paxton which includes the tuner, and with the notion you may have to one day remove the SC, and they don't want it anyway, have included it with the car. In the case of a standard SGT they don't get these tuners from Ford for each of the 6000 cars and instead use another method. I really wish that wasn't the case for the reasons already cited.

The only thing that bothers me about changing the tune is warranty issues. I'm one of those people that always buy an extended warranty also. If anything goes wrong, i figure it's Ford's problem for 6 years. I left the stock tune in the Mach for that reason, although it's a temptation that's hard to resist. ;)

The only thing that bothers me about changing the tune is warranty issues. I'm one of those people that always buy an extended warranty also. If anything goes wrong, i figure it's Ford's problem for 6 years. I left the stock tune in the Mach for that reason, although it's a temptation that's hard to resist. ;)

Just put the stock tune back in it when you go back for some service. They will never know............... :)

Been a lot of debate about that. Some say they can't tell and some say they can. :ph34r:

Work for an auto group and have friends over at ford and they can't. Nothing in the Tuner leaves a trace of the tune once it is returned to stock. The only hassle is, when you take it in for service, There maybe some upgrade to some of the software and they will re-flash it without you knowing it, you will have to contact your tuner and have them email you a new stratagy code for your hand held so your hand held tuner will recognise your car thinking it is the first time you used it.

Work for an auto group and have friends over at ford and they can't. Nothing in the Tuner leaves a trace of the tune once it is returned to stock. The only hassle is, when you take it in for service, There maybe some upgrade to some of the software and they will re-flash it without you knowing it, you will have to contact your tuner and have them email you a new stratagy code for your hand held so your hand held tuner will recognise your car thinking it is the first time you used it.

Thanks for the info Ed.

Ed S; OK let me get this straight, any FORD Dealer has the tuner upgrade for the SGT and they can be reflashed back to the orginal SGT tune if it is serviced? My dealer says he does not have the SGT tuner available to him or his technicians, what is the real story? We should all know this as some dealers just might flash a normal GT tune into the car when a service is done, that is just the way Dealers do it. They alwasy have and always will do it the easiest way possible and say "The customer will never really know the difference". I think MOST all dealers operate on that level, get 'em in the service department and get'em out of the service department! :angry:

Archived