TEAM SHELBY FORUM

wheel centers

shelbydream1

Hey everyone-

quick question for all of you. For those of you with stock wheels, which of the wheel centers in the Shelby catalog did you consider switching over to instead of the pony centers? I kind of liked the Shelby logo/cobra, but think I'll go with the Shelby GT centers.

Hey everyone-

quick question for all of you. For those of you with stock wheels, which of the wheel centers in the Shelby catalog did you consider switching over to instead of the pony centers? I kind of liked the Shelby logo/cobra, but think I'll go with the Shelby GT centers.

If I were to keep the stock wheels I would go with the GT center myself. I am changing to the Carroll Shelby C69 wheels and they have the CS logo in red on a white background.

look on the new parts site, there are wheel centers on there for sale that replace the mustang logo

Has anyone try to remove center caps, well I did and let me tell the only way to remove without chipping existing caps is to remove wheel and push them out from back. :unsure:

Hey everyone-

None...I like the pony center caps! But then I'm in the minority!

;)

Hey everyone-

Yah go with the Shelby GT.. I think the cobra does not fit on the shelby gt because it will have too many animal logos.. You got a pony on the front grille and the steering wheel, and a cobra on the wheels?

None...I like the pony center caps! But then I'm in the minority!

;)

I like the pony center caps also. The cobra caps would be over-styled in my opinion. A simple embossed CS logo w/ no color would be nice also I think.

Here's an idea for a SGT wheel cap that I think MattChicago will like:

Ugh...while I appreciate the sentiment I REALLY don't want any Cobra's on here. There seems to have been a conscious decision by Ford and SAI not to put anything anywhere with the word Cobra or a picture of a Cobra. I think the car stands fine on it's own with it's own pedigree and doesn't need to have all this "stuff" put on. But hey, that's me! Put all the Cobras on you want! I just think the Shelby GT can stay just that and just because something is a shelby doesn't make it a Cobra. IMHO!

Ugh...while I appreciate the sentiment I REALLY don't want any Cobra's on here. There seems to have been a conscious decision by Ford and SAI not to put anything anywhere with the word Cobra or a picture of a Cobra. I think the car stands fine on it's own with it's own pedigree and doesn't need to have all this "stuff" put on. But hey, that's me! Put all the Cobras on you want! I just think the Shelby GT can stay just that and just because something is a shelby doesn't make it a Cobra. IMHO!

I agree. There are Cobras and there are Mustang Cobras. It would be "posing" to call the Shelby GTs "Cobras" (in my opinion).

I'm just kidding you Matt. I understand how you feel about the cobras.

Personal opinion here. I like the black and silver cobra as a wheel cap, it matches the car. The red/white and blue "retro" cobra center cap does not fit this car at all and it would look ugly in my opinion if some one put them on their wheels. I like the Shelby GT caps better but I could accept a silver and black cobra center cap too. The general public has always associated the Shelby Mustang with the name, Shelby Cobra Mustang. As I said, it is my opinion and I do respect yours as well.

LOL....you had me going there! Though I do like your new pony emblem! Works for the new SGT! Which BTW are you getting one?

I'm gonna try to get one, but unlike you guys this year (~3000 black ~3000 white SGTs), there will only be ~700 2008 SGT blue coupes , so my job may be more challenging.

It will just require a little effort and patience. Maybe the 08 Bullitt revealing in the fall will soften the SGT market a little.

I have Shelby wheels from American Racing that come with the Tiffany Cobra on the center cap. I would really like to see something from American Racing or SAI to replace these also. They have an American Racing logo center cap but yuck. I too believe the Tiffany Cobra should be left off of these cars but we are stuck with some things for hopefeully only a little while.

Both the SPP catalog and online site state "Our Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H caps are original equipment for those vehicles".

How is that? We all have the pony caps. When did they switch to the SGT cap?

Hey SAI gang- any insight??? are any of the cars shipping with the Shelby GT caps or are all of them shipping with pony centers??

I really don't know what this Cobra bashing is about. The cobra is Shelby's logo and has been since the 60's. Using the SAI cobra logo on these cars does not make them "Cobras." The cobra head logo has been and always will be associated with Shelby, just as in years to come hopefully the new cobra logo will become just as recognizable. By adding these logos to the cars we would not be saying our cars are "Cobras," we would be saying our cars are "Shelbys."

As for the over branding stuff some people are complaining about. (Don't flame me guys, this is just my personal take.) The car is a MUSTANG-ponys on the grill, hubs, and steering wheel-, built and powered by FORD-sides and trunk badge-, and modified by SHELBY-sides, trunk lid, door sills, dash, and under the hood. The early Shelbys were the same way. They had Ford, Mustang, and Shelby on them. As far as I can recollect any modified car I have ever seen has been the same way. The Chevrolet Callaway Corvette, the Dodge Hennessey Viper, the Rousch Ford Mustang, and the list could go on.

I really don't know what this Cobra bashing is about. The cobra is Shelby's logo and has been since the 60's. Using the SAI cobra logo on these cars does not make them "Cobras." The cobra head logo has been and always will be associated with Shelby, just as in years to come hopefully the new cobra logo will become just as recognizable. By adding these logos to the cars we would not be saying our cars are "Cobras," we would be saying our cars are "Shelbys."

As for the over branding stuff some people are complaining about. (Don't flame me guys, this is just my personal take.) The car is a MUSTANG-ponys on the grill, hubs, and steering wheel-, built and powered by FORD-sides and trunk badge-, and modified by SHELBY-sides, trunk lid, door sills, dash, and under the hood. The early Shelbys were the same way. They had Ford, Mustang, and Shelby on them. As far as I can recollect any modified car I have ever seen has been the same way. The Chevrolet Callaway Corvette, the Dodge Hennessey Viper, the Rousch Ford Mustang, and the list could go on.

I agree 100%. I just don't get it either. The only way I would get it is if a "new" Shelby SGT owner was not around during the days of the Shelby Mustangs of the 60's. Those cars were ALWAYS associated with the name Shelby Cobra Mustang, always. Thus every Mustang that is made by Shelby has the association with the Cobra insignia bar none. So it does not mean are cars are Cobras it's just what people associate our cars with, and that is NOT a bad thing to be associated with the Shelby Cobra Mustangs of the 60's. I was around in the 60's when those cars were HOT and the only people who had them were HOT too and everybody ALWAYS called them Shelby Cobra Mustangs. B)

I agree 100%. I just don't get it either. The only way I would get it is if a "new" Shelby SGT owner was not around during the days of the Shelby Mustangs of the 60's. Those cars were ALWAYS associated with the name Shelby Cobra Mustang, always. Thus every Mustang that is made by Shelby has the association with the Cobra insignia bar none. So it does not mean are cars are Cobras it's just what people associate our cars with, and that is NOT a bad thing to be associated with the Shelby Cobra Mustangs of the 60's. I was around in the 60's when those cars were HOT and the only people who had them were HOT too and everybody ALWAYS called them Shelby Cobra Mustangs. B)

I think I'm going with the SGT centers, but have foumd some nice subtle cobra valve stem covers that are black/chrome that I may put on for a subtle Shelby referrence.

Is is just me or does anyone else think that a lot of the "Shelby" unique items should have been on the car in the first place considering the price. I'm thinking the Shelby GT hubcaps, the Shelby Map Light Accent are just a couple of the items that would have added value but not much cost to the car straight from SAI.

Maybe it's just me. . .

....perhaps but two thoughts. First the Shelby GT was developed in 100 days. It was an experiment to get an in demand car (2006 GT-H) to the masses. So some things may not have been considered or possible. Second if the cars came with every cool part on them then there would be no money for the aftermarket business side of Ford and Shelby.

Is is just me or does anyone else think that a lot of the "Shelby" unique items should have been on the car in the first place considering the price. I'm thinking the Shelby GT hubcaps, the Shelby Map Light Accent are just a couple of the items that would have added value but not much cost to the car straight from SAI.

Maybe it's just me. . .

It's not you, there not on the car so you can buy them in their aftermarket sales department. It's the American Way. They have to make money to stay in business and they have some really cool stuff.

I think the Cobra Logo should have been on the car as was stated above. I like this new style logo of the Shelby Cobra that is on the engine dress up kit and their door handles also.......

GG

It's not you, there not on the car so you can buy them in their aftermarket sales department. It's the American Way. They have to make money to stay in business and they have some really cool stuff.

I think the Cobra Logo should have been on the car as was stated above. I like this new style logo of the Shelby Cobra that is on the engine dress up kit and their door handles also.......

GG

I heard about the door handles for the GT-500KR but I don't see them in the catalog. Am I missing them or are they not available yet?

I think that Carroll Shelby sold Ford the rights to the "Cobra" name back in the 1960s as it relates to Mustangs. I'm not sure how they worked it out that Shelby retained the name for the A/C Cobras, but I haven't really looked into it. You may remember that Ford made the King Cobra in the 1970s and then started the SVT Cobra in the early 1990s, which continued until the current GT 500 was released.

I'm not sure what kind of licensing deal the two companies have now, but I'm cool with a Shelby GT without Cobras (though a Shelby GT 350 with a standard S/C would have been nice...).

I'm putting "American Racing Special Edition Shelby" Center caps on mine. When I ordered them the guy said that Shelby just placed a massive order on them and that they are on back order. Also I saw them in a picture of the new Shelby GT-H Convertible... So I think that Shelby may be using them for future cars.

Shelby-Page_02.jpgm198S.jpg

This is what they look like only they will be on my stock wheels.

Archived