TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT with Shelby Paxton SC

CudaFly

Well it’s been a good week for me and #259. Went over to Stangfest in Daytona and met up with some fellow Shelby GT owners. Then to top it off I got a 3rd place trophy in the new Shelby class up against a couple of other Shelby GT’s, a few CS6’s and CS8’s, and a bunch of GT500’s. And I wasn’t even planning on showing the car.

Today I took the car for the final custom tune and dial-in on the dyno and it rocks! Pulling 448 RWHP which is well over 500 HP at the flywheel (~527 HP using the 15% rule). This is with the stock Shelby Paxton supercharger kit and a fairly moderate custom tune in terms of timing and A/F ratio.

There was a huge thunder and lightning storm while we were tuning on the dyno, it was like bringing Frankenstein to life – so I’ll call it FRANKENSTANG.

It is AWESOME to drive… like a freakin' rocket ship!!!

Video of dyno runs… (turn up the volume):

Dyno%20Chart%2001.jpg

Stangfest%2002.jpg

Stangfest%2003.jpg

Stangfest%2001.jpg

Well it’s been a good week for me and #259. Went over to Stangfest in Daytona and met up with some fellow Shelby GT owners. Then to top it off I got a 3rd place trophy in the new Shelby class up against a couple of other Shelby GT’s, CS6’s, CS8’s, and a bunch of GT500’s. And I wasn’t even planning on showing the car.

Today I took the car for the final custom tune and dial-in on the dyno and it rocks! Pulling 448 RWHP which is well over 500 HP at the flywheel (~527 HP using the 15% rule). This is with the stock Shelby Paxton supercharger kit and a fairly moderate custom tune in terms of timing and A/F ratio.

There was a huge thunder and lightning storm while we were tuning on the dyno, it was like bringing Frankenstein to life – so I’ll call it FRANKENSTANG.

Dyno%20Chart%2001.jpg

Stangfest%2002.jpg

Stangfest%2003.jpg

Stangfest%2001.jpg

Your car looked awesome !! It was sure fun meeting all of you . I should have taken you up on that test drive to "feel" your supercharger lol. :D :P

I didnt get to congratulate you on your win...but your car sure looked great ! Hope to see you at another show !!

Sue

how did u remove the airbag cover to get carroll to sign it???

GT there is a thread with the actual Ford instructions on the cover removal. You would then need to pack the cover and ship to the CS Childrens foundation for signature with postage both ways and a dontation for I think $200. There is a thead on the board with all of this. I'll look for it and post the link.

Here is the link:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?sho...l=air+bag+cover

GT there is a thread with the actual Ford instructions on the cover removal. You would then need to pack the cover and ship to the CS Childrens foundation for signature with postage both ways and a dontation for I think $200. There is a thead on the board with all of this. I'll look for it and post the link.

Here is the link:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?sho...l=air+bag+cover

THANKS MAN, now just need my SGT

CudaFly,

What tuner did you use? Did you stay with the Diablo or did you change it out. The AF ratio looks pretty flat. Some pretty strong numbers. Congrats! :)

Ross, Thanks

I used an SCT tuner from the start. Never even opened the Predetor Diablo. There is nothing wrong with the Diablo, I use SCT because the company that makes them is only a few miles from my house and (more importantly) the dyno tune person I use only uses SCT tuning software.

I'd check around for a good dyno tune shop first and then find out what they use. Having a good knowledgeable person doing the tuning work is probably more important than which handheld box you use.

Good Luck!

I agree on the person using the software. The reason I asked is because my friend is a SCT dealer and tuner and I know they come with a Diablo tune from SAI. Thanks for the reply back. Nothing like the sound of an SC spooling up! :D

I agree on the person using the software. The reason I asked is because my friend is a SCT dealer and tuner and I know they come with a Diablo tune from SAI. Thanks for the reply back. Nothing like the sound of an SC spooling up! :D

Matt...his car DID look very awesome with the silver wheels.

Considering it myself.

I would have tried to sneak his airbag cover out of his car..but he was watching me :D :P

GT looking at the graph it looks like it is after the tune. Some dyno print outs compare the base run and the after run. It looks like this it just the final HP and TQ numbers. It would be interesting to see though.

Cuda,

Was that run with the tune that shelby put on when you got the car, or is that after having it custom tuned by the dyno crew

GT,

All of the dyno runs were with custom SCT tunes. I never used the Predator Diablo tuner (still in the box) that came with the Shelby Paxton kit so I'm not sure what that would pull. My guess would be that the 'standard' tune that comes with the kit would be ~390-395 RWHP.

I am curious too... Anybody out there that has the SC kit installed have their SGT on a dyno yet?

....I will have mine tuned after a few more miles and when I can find an available day. I will do my best to post the baseline and my results.

I am anticipating your results. It will be interesting to see the baseline.

....I will have mine tuned after a few more miles and when I can find an available day. I will do my best to post the baseline and my results.

Great... looking forward to seeing the results. Your car looks awesome.

Not sure what your current baseline performance feels like but I can tell you my car now feels perfect. Still very driveable and good gas mileage around town and on the highway when you don't push it. But when you want to stomp on it, it just keeps pulling and pulling. Haven't found the top end speed yet but I was at 130 MPH in 4th gear at 4300 RPM's and it felt like it still had a long way to go...

You can probably count on an extra 10%-15% RWHP without causing too much stress on the engine. Plus once you get over 500 HP at the flywheel you get bragging rights over the stock GT 500's.

Great... looking forward to seeing the results. Your car looks awesome.

Not sure what your current baseline performance feels like but I can tell you my car now feels perfect. Still very driveable and good gas mileage around town and on the highway when you don't push it. But when you want to stomp on it, it just keeps pulling and pulling. Haven't found the top end speed yet but I was at 130 MPH in 4th gear at 4300 RPM's and it felt like it still had a long way to go...

You can probably count on an extra 10%-15% RWHP without causing too much stress on the engine. Plus once you get over 500 HP at the flywheel you get bragging rights over the stock GT 500's.

I expect well over 500 HP after SAI's mods and then Tasca Ford's Performance Division adds even more mods. I am hoping to get somewhere around 550, but I need to hear more from Tasca. If I do get over 550, I will have bragging rights over the KR too (that's my goal). This will all be done before I take delivery.

I expect well over 500 HP after SAI's mods and then Tasca Ford's Performance Division adds even more mods. I am hoping to get somewhere around 550, but I need to hear more from Tasca. If I do get over 550, I will have bragging rights over the KR too (that's my goal). This will all be done before I take delivery.

ao,

In my opionion your setup with the SAI and Tasca mods is going to make your car one of the most unique SGT's out there. Two legendary Mustang builder’s mods all in one car. You should be able to get 550 HP fairly easy and even 600+ HP if you go to a smaller SC pulley and bigger injectors but then you start stretching the mechanical limits of the motor. Plus it’s not all about just HP anyway; need the balance between HP, weight, tires, gear ratios, to really make it work. I’m sure Tasca will dial it in right. Looking forward to the pics.

Well it’s been a good week for me and #259. Went over to Stangfest in Daytona and met up with some fellow Shelby GT owners. Then to top it off I got a 3rd place trophy in the new Shelby class up against a couple of other Shelby GT’s, a few CS6’s and CS8’s, and a bunch of GT500’s. And I wasn’t even planning on showing the car.

Dyno%20Chart%2001.jpg

Stangfest%2002.jpg

Stangfest%2003.jpg

Stangfest%2001.jpg

Hate to burst your bubble but Dyno Jet is not true horse HP, You lose about 20hp on a true test on Dyno

tune which gives you accurate HP SEE reelspeedautomotive.com So they tell meat Realspeed.

Hate to burst your bubble but Dyno Jet is not true horse HP, You lose about 20hp on a true test on Dyno

tune which gives you accurate HP SEE reelspeedautomotive.com So they tell meat Realspeed.

I'll buy that. I doubt anything that cost $50 for 2 pulls is 100% accurate. But even if it is off by 20 absolute HP it would still be in the 95% accuracy range.

However, on any given Dyno, under the same conditions, it's relative RWHP that really matters. I saw two different stock GT500’s on the same Dyno pull ~425 RWHP each. So an SGT with 448 RWHP (on the same Dyno) still has more RWHP than a stock GT500 plus the SGT is ~350 pounds lighter.

So don't worry, you haven't burst my bubble.

ao,

In my opionion your setup with the SAI and Tasca mods is going to make your car one of the most unique SGT's out there. Two legendary Mustang builder's mods all in one car. You should be able to get 550 HP fairly easy and even 600+ HP if you go to a smaller SC pulley and bigger injectors but then you start stretching the mechanical limits of the motor. Plus it's not all about just HP anyway; need the balance between HP, weight, tires, gear ratios, to really make it work. I'm sure Tasca will dial it in right. Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks CudaFly. Your car is pretty unique as well with the polished S/C and all. Thanks for posting your dyno's as well. They look great and so does your car.

Thanks for calling that out about the Tasca and Shelby history. It will be a very special car. That's why I was doing all of this right from the beginning. You likely saw the link in my signature about a 1967 Tasca Shelby. That article helped justify or verify what I had already been doing from the start. Coincidentally, I had found that article literally 2 hours after my first discussion with the Performance Director at Tasca (Steve Guyette) a few months ago. We had been playing phone tag for weeks. Then one day, I bought the magazine (and a few others) and took them home but didn't yet read them. Then Steve called me and we finally went over some of my ideas and all of his recommendations. Then, I finally went through the magazines and absolutely freaked out when I saw the big bold blue "Tasca Shelby" letters. I agree – 2 legendary Mustang builders with an amazing history, all brought together in one car. That's what I wanted all along and why I went to Tasca. It's finally all coming together.

As for the gear ratios, I just added that to my signature. I have been thinking about it for a couple of months now but still can't make up my mind. Since I wasn't sure which ones to go with, I never put it in there. Now you see I wrote either. I hope to catch up with RIHarley again and get a feel of what it's like in his car with the 4:10's.

As for the balance & weight, yeah, I'm all over that too. I love the fact that I will have somewhere in the 550+/- HP range and yet will be 500+ pounds lighter than the GT500 and GT500KR. Got my eyes on the SuperSnake (just kidding). Maybe I'll call mine the Tasca Shelby GT SS, or The Shelby GTKR or The Real Shelby King of the Road or something funny like that.

Engine mechanical limits: I was very concerned with that from the beginning; learned from discussions on this forum. At first I wanted the S/C. Then I read of the concerns. Then I saw the polished Paxton on Socal's car (which looks like your car too so I guess I am copying you as well) and decided to go back with the S/C and worry later about the mechanical limits. I figure, I have only one chance in life and I'm taking it. I already have discussed with Tasca a while ago about possibly strengthening/replacing the engine internals to handle the extra HP. In addition, since Tasca invented the Cobra Jet engine, maybe I'll just have them slap one of those in for me down the road and then I'll really challenge the SuperSnake (LOL). Also, JW recommended I go with the 6-speed Tremec from the GT500 which I am considering. I am sure I'll blow out the clutch when racing so I will probably wait until then to get the Tremec (unless I can get it all done now for a decent price). I am confident in the recommended tires as well. I still need to nail down everything from Tasca since my decision to go with the S/C. And yes, Tasca will take care of all of the tuning and getting it right.

Plus, to top it all off, I added in the matching Fender guitar for extra pizzazz at the car shows.

Now I just can't wait to get the darn thing.

Thanks again for noticing CudaFly. I appreciate it. And, I will definitely be posting pics.

Thanks CudaFly. Your car is pretty unique as well with the polished S/C and all. Thanks for posting your dyno's as well. They look great and so does your car.

Thanks for calling that out about the Tasca and Shelby history. It will be a very special car. That's why I was doing all of this right from the beginning. You likely saw the link in my signature about a 1967 Tasca Shelby. That article helped justify or verify what I had already been doing from the start. Coincidentally, I had found that article literally 2 hours after my first discussion with the Performance Director at Tasca (Steve Guyette) a few months ago. We had been playing phone tag for weeks. Then one day, I bought the magazine (and a few others) and took them home but didn't yet read them. Then Steve called me and we finally went over some of my ideas and all of his recommendations. Then, I finally went through the magazines and absolutely freaked out when I saw the big bold blue "Tasca Shelby" letters. I agree – 2 legendary Mustang builders with an amazing history, all brought together in one car. That's what I wanted all along and why I went to Tasca. It's finally all coming together.

As for the gear ratios, I just added that to my signature. I have been thinking about it for a couple of months now but still can't make up my mind. Since I wasn't sure which ones to go with, I never put it in there. Now you see I wrote either. I hope to catch up with RIHarley again and get a feel of what it's like in his car with the 4:10's.

As for the balance & weight, yeah, I'm all over that too. I love the fact that I will have somewhere in the 550+/- HP range and yet will be 500+ pounds lighter than the GT500 and GT500KR. Got my eyes on the SuperSnake (just kidding). Maybe I'll call mine the Tasca Shelby GT SS, or The Shelby GTKR or The Real Shelby King of the Road or something funny like that.

Engine mechanical limits: I was very concerned with that from the beginning; learned from discussions on this forum. At first I wanted the S/C. Then I read of the concerns. Then I saw the polished Paxton on Socal's car (which looks like your car too so I guess I am copying you as well) and decided to go back with the S/C and worry later about the mechanical limits. I figure, I have only one chance in life and I'm taking it. I already have discussed with Tasca a while ago about possibly strengthening/replacing the engine internals to handle the extra HP. In addition, since Tasca invented the Cobra Jet engine, maybe I'll just have them slap one of those in for me down the road and then I'll really challenge the SuperSnake (LOL). Also, JW recommended I go with the 6-speed Tremec from the GT500 which I am considering. I am sure I'll blow out the clutch when racing so I will probably wait until then to get the Tremec (unless I can get it all done now for a decent price). I am confident in the recommended tires as well. I still need to nail down everything from Tasca since my decision to go with the S/C. And yes, Tasca will take care of all of the tuning and getting it right.

Plus, to top it all off, I added in the matching Fender guitar for extra pizzazz at the car shows.

Now I just can't wait to get the darn thing.

Thanks again for noticing CudaFly. I appreciate it. And, I will definitely be posting pics.

Adam- Everybody has to like the quote you made in your post "I have only one chance in life and I am taking it". I think everybody who bought a SGT said exactly that same thing before taking delivery. Life is not a spectator sport. Good post. B)

I think everybody who bought a SGT said exactly that same thing before taking delivery. Life is not a spectator sport.

+1 here! B)

Live life now! Don't be left behind!

At 54 I'm now on the back nine! :D

Adam are you kissing up for a ride? I told you I would let you try it out, u just need to get to Rhode Island. :-)

Maybe I'll call mine the Tasca Shelby GT SS, or The Shelby GTKR or The Real Shelby King of the Road or something funny like that. [/size][/size][/font]

How about the ShelbyGT/AO'D ??

or the ShelbyGT/MIFTAKR ( mine is faster than a KR)

:blink:

I need to stop posting late at night....I think my mind is going to mush.

I hope for good results. My work schedule comes out on Wed for the following four weeks. I hope to find a date in there and an open appointment with one of two tuners in my area. I am now taking it very easy on my car because I am VERY concerned that the Paxton tune that is on the car is running lean. If I press down too quickly on the gas in any gear, except 1st, I hear what I think is detonation. I am not a car expert but used to have the same problem on a EFI motorcycle.

Archived