TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New SGT owner ramblings

ZepDad

As a proud '65 coupe owner, I waited nearly 3 years to buy my new Mustang. I finally pulled the trigger on June 9 and am the new owner of SGT 1226. Black/manual transmission. Purchased from dealer inventory in Florida at, ahem, very low premium. I love the car, the sound and the looks I get. Being nearly 50-something I don't get many looks anymore. The car definitely helps!!

Was surprised #1226 was still available. Originally shipped to a NC dealer it wound up sitting at a Florida dealer with only 35 miles on it. This makes me wonder: How many '07 SGT's are being built? I see CSM numbers approaching 3000 on this site. But I thought I read 7000 somewhere.

My wife's observations:

No lighted vanity mirror (of course)

No oh s*** handle on the passenger side (I agree with that one)

For $40K shouldn't this look like a Lexus inside?

My observations:

1st gear rocks

Why the standard guage package? At least give me the driver info option for this price.

2nd gear rocks

Standard low speed rattle (will be getting with dealer on that one)

3rd gear rocks

An extra cubby or two might have helped. Where to put my sunglasses at night?

4th gear rocks

5th gear sort of sucks, time to downshift

4th gear rocks

Looking forward to many years of happy Shelby ownership.

Another happy owner. Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you are enoying! :D Like the downshift back to 4th. ;) You will find many useful tips and plenty of owners willing to provide assistance if you should need it. Enjoy the site.

Why the standard guage package? At least give me the driver info option for this price.

Yeah...I am surprised how many dealers ordered bare GT's, even seen some Deluxe models, as SGTs. The lack of the addition of the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) is truly erroneous and rampant. At $460 it adds a lot, including oil, battery etc., and a better dash (though that's not saying much) and yet many didn't bother to add it on a car going for 40K! Ugh...

I am finding that a lot of dealers that ordered the car in the early days, such as yours, had no idea the car would be 40K! Some missed the fact that SAI work was an additional 8K and were totally surprised! In fact some worse in that they found that $$$$ was not included in floor plan and had to be paid up front! Ooouch!

Anyway...yeah...the interior of a mustang reminds of a barbie car at ToysRUs but you know that 40K Lexus won't be getting you any looks. ;-)

Welcome and enjoy!

lets see your coupe :D

Congrats on your new car !!! I have #545 in Sarasota...where are you in Florida !!

Your explanation of the 50 something and don't get many looks ....cracked me up !!! I will be hitting the big 5---ohhhhhhhhh next year and know exactly what you mean lol. I love when these young kids catch up with my car, only to see a "mature" lady driving it hahah ! ( I refuse to say old !! ) I have a 19 year old neighbor boy that lives next door...and he routinely has a group of "buddies" over in his driveway. You should see the looks when I roll Ralph out of the garage..their jaws drop haha !

I also bought mine from a dealer off the showroom floor. I was lucky that it had all the upgrades on the basic GT.

And the shifting...ohhh how I love that down shift to 4th when you need to get around someone on the interstate ! :P I would get in major trouble...yes even at my age...if I had a supercharger !! :o

Have a great time with the car !!!

Sue

My observations:

1st gear rocks

2nd gear rocks

Standard low speed rattle (will be getting with dealer on that one)

3rd gear rocks

An extra cubby or two might have helped. Where to put my sunglasses at night?

4th gear rocks

5th gear sort of sucks, time to downshift

4th gear rocks

5th gear works best at speeds of 100+

....or so I have been told anyway... :D

Thanks for the interesting comments. Now I feel like I'm missing something without the Interior Upgrade Package (the extra guages and info center mainly). Guess I should have done more homework because, honestly, I didn't even think about it when drooling on the car at the dealer. I at least could have beat the dealer down a little more! Oh well, she's otherwise my dream car.

[but I am wondering if the guage pod could actually be swapped and the 3-button info center added. I assume the harness has all the connections ready to go. Yeah, but at what price? A lot more than the $460 factory installed price, for sure. ]

Welcome aboard Zepdad. And that happens to be my favorite band of all time :) Yes unfortunately you should have done more homework. many dealers out there had no idea you could get the car with IUP. Many dealers fought with me telling me you could not get it. And I explained they were wrong and so and so had it and they were floored. This car was nothing more to most dealers than a cash cow like the GT500. Until they found out it wouldnt get the mark up the 500 got. They knew nothing about the car and didnt care to. I believe you can have the package added but I am sure it will be expensive. It does add ALOT to the looks though. regardless it is a fantastic car as you are finding out. Everytime I get in it even when Im in a bad mood I quickly get in a good one. Congrads on your car and enjoy the site :)

Yeah...I am surprised how many dealers ordered bare GT's, even seen some Deluxe models, as SGTs. The lack of the addition of the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) is truly erroneous and rampant. At $460 it adds a lot, including oil, battery etc., and a better dash (though that's not saying much) and yet many didn't bother to add it on a car going for 40K! Ugh...

I am finding that a lot of dealers that ordered the car in the early days, such as yours, had no idea the car would be 40K! Some missed the fact that SAI work was an additional 8K and were totally surprised! In fact some worse in that they found that $$$$ was not included in floor plan and had to be paid up front! Ooouch!

Anyway...yeah...the interior of a mustang reminds of a barbie car at ToysRUs but you know that 40K Lexus won't be getting you any looks. ;-)

Welcome and enjoy!

I agree with MattC.- That $40K Lexus will not get 1/10th as many looks as the Shelby GT will. Enjoy and welcome. B)

Congrats on the new ride. As you can tell from this site, we all love our cars and I'm sure you will too.

As for the IUP, I think someone on here added the extra gauges but I don't remember who. I don't know if the onfo center would be an easy upgrade but the gauges should be no trouble.

Originally shipped to a NC dealer it wound up sitting at a Florida dealer with only 35 miles on it.

Why the standard guage package?

Funny about it coming from NC. Do you know where exactly? I must have talked with two dozen dealers here, and they either wanted $5K - $10K over MSRP and wouldn't budge, or they sold their cars at $1K - $2K over very quickly.

As for the instrument issue, have you thought about having the optional gauge pod installed by Shelby (under $1K for non-supercharged cars)? I hear that they are opening up an East Coast shop to do such mods, but I'm not sure where. Pricing information is here, but their online catalog is being moved as we speak:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=886

I agree with everyone else welcome zap and I hope that you enjoy your car. My car did not come with IUP but you know it is a white car with black interior so the no IUP makes it look like a real shelby did back in the 60's. I got my car a couple of weeks before my 29th birthday and I am proud to own it. I talked with one dealier in NC as well and while I probably could have gotten it for sticker, I ended up bying it here in my home state of VA.

Hello from British Columbia!

I've read along for a couple of months now and wanted to jump in and say hello to everyone! I purchased my SGT on February 11, 2007 from Dick Hannah Ford in Portland, Oregon. While I have a design firm in Portland and Vancouver, BC, I recently married a Canadian and will be moving my residency to British Columbia - and thus, registering my car in BC in the coming months.

Its been fun driving around my SGT in Vancouver, BC and the lower mainland - as I believe my SGT was the first to be seen in Canada! First hit the BC streets on February 12th, 2007.

Since my purchase (black with silver stripes, 5-speed manual, premium upgrades including Shaker 1000) I have deleted the ugly Serius "bug" had my body shop remove the vinyl stripes, patch the hole left from the Serius Satelite "bug" and had the silver stripes painted. I've also had Bud send me a new hood scoop (vinyl stripe deleted) and had the black stripe painted, clear-coated and reinstalled. Painted stripes look awesome!

Still having issues with my hood sitting flat - but Bud (as always) is helping me resolve this one.

I too went through the noises only to discover on my own the exhaust bracket being too long - had it bent out of the way - and noises went away.

I'm soon to hit the 4,000 mile mark - well, I will next week when I drive "the Shelby" down to Portland. When she arrives to stump-town, she will be getting new 20" Black Razors, Sequential Tail Lights and a replacement of the billet grille to the CS8 Grille Assembly (with Shelby lettering and driving lights) to which I can't wait!

To all of you who are still waiting.....the wait will be well worth it. This car is, simply stated, SWEET.

My exhaust has broken in and the sound is perrrrfect. First gear is short, but second and third make up for it.

Since my new Razor Rims will have the Shelby Snake Logo on the center caps, and since my new front Grille Assembly (SHELBY lettering) will replace the "pony logo" - I decided to purchase a faux gas cap with the Shelby Snake logo on it (Ford Racing website). I've also purchased a Snake Logo version of an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug too. So my badging will mostly be "SHELBY" lettering and "Snake Logos" with a pony appearing on my steering wheel center cap. I went for consistency.

I've also purchased the engine bay Aesthetic Kit - which also sport the Shelby Snake logo.

Anyway, its been a pleasure reading along each evening and I look forward to chatting with you all in the coming weeks and months ahead!

My CSM # 07SGT0129

SGTinBC!

I'll post pictures in a week or so when my upgrades are installed!!!

Since my new Razor Rims will have the Shelby Snake Logo on the center caps, and since my new front Grille Assembly (SHELBY lettering) will replace the "pony logo" - I decided to purchase a faux gas cap with the Shelby Snake logo on it (Ford Racing website). I've also purchased a Snake Logo version of an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug too. So my badging will mostly be "SHELBY" lettering and "Snake Logos" with a pony appearing on my steering wheel center cap. I went for consistency.

Sounds like you will have a great car. I would love to have the stripes painted on, but the cost is prohibitive. I'm saving for the SC.

Where on the Ford Racing site did you find the trunk badge? I have looked through every item in the catalog and can't seem to find it. Also where did you find the lighter plug? All I have seen are the GT plugs.

BC, congrats. I'd say welcome, but you've ben here longer than most, including me. Sorry we missed you all these months, would have been great to have gotten your input.

Please upload pics of the work. Who in Portland is doing the work and getting parts?

I think we will see more Cobra stuff coming down the pike - just a guess.

SGTinBC,

Welcome! Only your second post and what a post it is. Sounds like you have been adding to your ultimate ride. It sounds great. Hope to hear more from you. And post up some pix of your stripes. That IS the way to go.

Thanks everyone!

Let me try to answer some questions posted:

1. I paid a body shop in BC $1,600. Canadian ($1,400. US) to paint my over-the-top stripes and hood scoop stripe, plus (of course) bury them in clear. I chose NOT to paint the side stripes (who knows, perhaps I'll add the SC one day and can paint them later when I change the striping to read "Shelby GT/SC?" grin. I will add that painting the stripes is quite the project - bumpers have to come off, trunk lid, etc. While I was at this project, I had the body shop first take off the "ugly" Serius Satelite "bug" thing, fill the hole, etc. prior to painting my stripes. Now much cleaner looking...especially as a "spoiler delete!" (that "bug" was so noticable, I just hated it).

Overall, the car looks MUCH nicer with the stripes painted! They exactly matched the silver paint of the previously painted hood scoop. Then, of course, I had to remove the black vinyl stripe from the hood scoop and paint the new stripe black.

2. The cig lighter plug: A guy from Springfield, OR sells these on ebay. I had purchased one in the past from him and they are excellent quality. I had one that read "GT" however, in attempting to seek consistency with my badging, etc. I ordered one from him that has a black background and silver snake logo. I believe I am paying around $35. for this.

3. I too cannot wait to see what Bud and SAI have up their sleeve with regards to a new faux gas cap. However, I have a personal opinion that "too many logos/plaques/etc." on one car is "clutter."

For example, I listed all of the areas on our SGT's that contained some form or another of "lettering" or "badges" or "plaques" or "logos" - whatever one wants to call them, and found "too many" of them:

Starting from the Front of the car, working backwards;

Front Grille: "Pony"

Under the Hood: CSM# plaque with "CS" logo

Engine Bay Aesthetic Kit: "Snake Logos" on each item

Side of car: "Powered by Ford" plaques

Rims: "pony" (or in my case, with 20" Razor Rims - the "Snake Logo"

Interior sill plate: "CS" logo with "SHELBY lettering"

Steering Wheel center cap: "Pony"

Dash: CSM# plaque with "CS logo"

Trunk Lid: "SHELBY lettering"

Faux Gas Cap: "GT" /Ford graphic

I have chosen to simplify this as best I can by going in this direction:

Front Grille: Replaced with CS8 Upper Grille Assembly - which has "SHELBY lettering" and no logos

Under the Hood: CSM# plaque with "CS" logo

Engine Bay Aesthetic Kit: "Snake Logos" on each item

Side of car: "Powered by Ford" plaques

Rims: 20" Razor Rims - the "Snake Logo"

Interior sill plate: "CS" logo with "SHELBY lettering" (may purchase a set that exlusively has "SHELBY lettering" that I saw online)

Steering Wheel center cap: "Pony" (wish I could find a "snake logo")

Dash: CSM# plaque with "CS logo"

Trunk Lid: "SHELBY lettering"

Faux Gas Cap: "Snake logo"

I do see an opportunity to go with "CS" logos should SAI come out with Center Caps for their 20" Razor Rims; a "CS" Faux Gas Cap insert; an "CS" Aesthetic Engine Bay kit; but I was afraid that I'd be waiting a long time to get ALL of this in some sort of consistent "CS" logo package of goodies.

So I went the "Shelby Snake Logo" route and quite frankly - I'm proud of it. For me it is a retro way of expressing my "Shelby is a Shelby" if that makes sense?

In closing - I'll post photos in about ten days or so! Just as soon as I am completed with some of the upgrades. Someone did ask "where am I having the work done?" I am having my Ford Dealership install the new Razors, proper Tire Pressure Sensor Bands, Upper Grille Assembly ...and Sequential Tail Lights. They are also going to see if they can get my "second" hood scoop to fit properly as well? The painting work was completed by a Maple Ridge, BC (small, but excellent) body shop. He did a very nice job.

Side note: When it comes time for new brakes, I would then like to upgrade to the bigger brake package - for looks if nothing else.

Wishes: I really wish that the instrument cluster graphics would have been designed specifically for our SGTs. It feels a bit lame that it does not look anything different than my previous 2007 Mustang GT!!!

Another wish: I wish SAI would not protected the computer chip! I tried to get "daytime running headlights" to work, since I will be importing the car into Canada - and learned that SAI has blocked the ability to go in and modify our chip - thus play around with horsepower, etc. I'm guessing? (grin).

This leads me to believe that a Shelby 350 is on the drawing boards. Otherwise I'd be modifying things on my own to acheive 350hp and change the graphics on my car to say so!

Time for bed! Gotta go continue the dream!

Thanks for all the great info. The warm welcome has been nice. To answer a couple of questions:

sdear: I'm located in Jacksonville but lived a few years in St. Pete. Maybe we'll cross paths on I-75 someday!

webba: Zeppelin rules and sounds just fine on the Shaker 500 system. Love the aux input. I can carry their entire catalog on my MP3 player (and some live bootlegs of course). I'm the creator of www.zeppelinart.com if you ever want to dig deep into the Zep hobby.

ShelbyCobra826: According to the window sticker my SGT was originally sold to Terry Moore Ford Country in Conover NC. I don't have any production dates to help you match that against when you were searching. Also, thanks for the Shelby gauge pod idea. I'll consider it if a dealer swap isn't possible. See below.

As for the gauge swap it is apparently a fairly routine change. This long forum post provides a lot more info:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=14688

I've contacted my dealer and they are "researching". I'll let everyone know the outcome under a more specific new topic.

Have a good one.

Archived