TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop removed...

stump_breaker

My L came off the first week I got her. My son was opening the trunk and pushing up on the crease and his hand pushed the letter. I saw something fly onto the car and surprise it was the L. i just stuck it back on and it is staying on fine now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My L came off the first week I got her. My son was opening the trunk and pushing up on the crease and his hand pushed the letter. I saw something fly onto the car and surprise it was the L. i just stuck it back on and it is staying on fine now.

That sort of scares me as I can see a rag or sponge catching on the letter and it coming of. They did seem to stay on the GT-H cars and I consider these to be more manhandled by the typical renter and Hertz cleaning porter than our cars will ever be.

Sort of scares me is an understatement when I saw the letter fly onto my back window. Im sure my son was thinking "Im a dead man". LOL I have been careful when washing and polishing since then and havent had any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Although not complete - I've just been veggie'ing out today after fighting a massive migrane last night - this will give you a peek at the started work. The back rivets have not been replaced yet and you can see the rivet that did not catch on the drivers side. Autoplay, you are correct. The hood is not forgiving but if you use the 1/2" rivets it will catch the underside steel of the hood as well.

l_d7b2cf3da19f1083cba7a81857ef16ef.jpg

l_c01866b90f6926af4164ef10b823e024.jpg

seriously though, if anyone else does this use no less than !/2" aluminum rivets and be careful of the tension you put on the scoop itself. It will cause a ripple effect if you pull it too tight.

I still think that this idea would work but instead of rivets, use the same screws (button head sockets) SAI is now using for the front corners. That way you could adjust the tension and probably remove most of the ripple affect. A little ripple isn't bad 'cause it gives it the "fabricated" look. But it is very labor intensive.

I'm anxious to know what SAI is coming up with?

I still think that this idea would work but instead of rivets, use the same screws (button head sockets) SAI is now using for the front corners. That way you could adjust the tension and probably remove most of the ripple affect. A little ripple isn't bad 'cause it gives it the "fabricated" look. But it is very labor intensive.

I'm anxious to know what SAI is coming up with?

I would be very dissapointed if I owned a car that had issues like this so soon after purchase. In my opinion,SAI should make this right.......maybe using the same type of shaker found on the '03 and '04 Mach 1

I would be very dissapointed if I owned a car that had issues like this so soon after purchase. In my opinion,SAI should make this right.......maybe using the same type of shaker found on the '03 and '04 Mach 1

Actually I love the scoop! It is the best looking (IMO) scoop out there. I much rather have it than the CS6 hood or something else. It just needs to fit better and I'm sure SAI will do it. I'm just a mechanical engineer that likes to tinker with design ideas. Please bear with me.

Archived