TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI Oil Pressure Guage

GTPA

Has anyone purchased and installed the guage set from SAI? I think it is a sin to have a car like this and not have a factory installed oil pressure guage! The SAI guage set looks fine but I wonder is it an electronic feed? How does the installation look since it is a velcro and glue setup?

Has anyone purchased and installed the guage set from SAI? I think it is a sin to have a car like this and not have a factory installed oil pressure guage! The SAI guage set looks fine but I wonder is it an electronic feed? How does the installation look since it is a velcro and glue setup?

Your reading my mind here......

I've been looking at my options and here is what I have found:

The SAI gauge pac includes 2 5/8" Autometer carbon fiber "Shelby" signature gauges

Oil pressure and Fuel pressure on Non SC'ed cars and they add the Boost gauge with the SC option.

I've been in communication with John on this because I just don't think the additional center pod look "clean" and the attachment is of a concern to me also.

While I am not a really big fan of the "A" pillar pods from Autometer, there is one company which makes an "A" pillar pod from the OEM piece. Advantage.....matching interior components. They modify the factory piece with their injection molded "bullitt cups' and you have the ability to add a shift light, link, below, between the cups. The issue is the size of the cups. The cups are specific to fit a 2 1/16" gauge. But if you look at the quality of the piece it is a perfect match for the "more updated" interior of the SN197 Mustang.

While some would argue the fact that the center pod from SAI is an SAI piece, it just looks like it is "added on" vs. a clean look.

Contacting the "A pillar pod" company, link below, they are currently working on a center pod attachment for the SN197 interior. It too, will only accept 2 1/16" guages. They have no plans on a 2 5/8" "bullitt cup". Due to the tool up cost. I have had this on my 04 Cobra with the "Raptor" shift light and it just blended into the interior. Very clean installation. Pop out the old and replace with the new "A" pillar interior trim piece. I would always receive compliments on the neat clean installation. The shift light is about the diamieter of a dime.

I'm still toying with the idea of spending $1100 for the SAI gauge pac.. :mellow:

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

If anyone has or could take some photo's of how this center pod is mounted from all angles that would be very much appreciated.

Roger

Your reading my mind here......

I've been looking at my options and here is what I have found:

The SAI guage pac includes 2 5/8" Autometer carbon fiber "Shelby" signature guages

Oil pressure and Fuel pressure on Non SC'ed cars and they add the Boost guage with the SC option.

I've been in communication with John on this because I just don't think the additional center pod look "clean" and the attachment is of a concern to me also.

While I am not a really big fan of the "A" plillar pods from Autometer, there is one company which makes an "A" pillar pod from the OEM piece. Advantage.....matching interior componants. They modify the factory piece with their injection molded "bullitt cups' and you have the ability to add a shift light, link, below, between the cups. The issue is the size of the cups. The cups are specificly made for a 2 1/16" gauge. But if you look at the quality of the piece it is a perfect match for the "more updated" interior of the SN197 Mustang.

While some would argue the fact that the center pod from SAI is an SAI piece, it just looks like it is "added on" vs. a clean look.

Contacting the "A pillar pod" company, link below, they are currently working on a center pod attachment for the SN197 interior. It too, will only accept 2 1/16" guages. They have no plans on a 2 5/8" "bullitt cup". Due to the tool up cost. I have had this on my 04 Cobra with the "Raptor" shift light and it just blended into the interior. Very clean installation. Pop out the old and replace with the new "A" pillar interior trim piece. I would always receive compliments on the neat clean installation. The <bleep> light is about the diamieter of a dime.

I'm still toying with the idea of spending $1100 for the SAI gauge pac.. :mellow:

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

If anyone has or could take some photo's of how this center pod is mounted from all angles that would be very much appreciated.

Roger

Roger, first of all, sorry for calling you Ross in prior posts.

I wanted to comment that the SAI center pods are likely designed consistently with those from the 65/66 GT350 center pods.

After seeing them in person on Socal's car, I decided to get them (also since I was getting the S/C).

I did realize that was probably the concept. 65 specific with the tach and oil pressure gauge. Crude attachment, but it did what it was supposed to do. Classic hot rod. I too looked at Socal's and that is what has me uncertain.

Just got back from a soggy day at Dover. Here are my impressions of the center pod for what it is worth. It is attached with tape. On the driver side of the pod, the side doesn't come flush to the dash. I am not sure about the passenger side, I haven't been on that side much. I will look when I get home. The texture of the outside of the pod doen't quite match the texture and look of the dash. It is close but not quite. I can't speak to the security because I haven't put enough miles on it to know but no problems so far. The lights inside the gauges is the color of any standard incadescent bulb. I am going to try and match the Mycolor of the dash to the gauges.

If I remember, I will take some 360 degree closeups, when I get home.......being away sucks.

Just got back from a soggy day at Dover. Here are my impressions of the center pod for what it is worth. It is attached with tape. On the driver side of the pod, the side doesn't come flush to the dash. I am not sure about the passenger side, I haven't been on that side much. I will look when I get home. The texture of the outside of the pod doen't quite match the texture and look of the dash. It is close but not quite. I can't speak to the security because I haven't put enough miles on it to know but no problems so far. The lights inside the gauges is the color of any standard incadescent bulb. I am going to try and match the Mycolor of the dash to the gauges.

If I remember, I will take some 360 degree closeups, when I get home.......being away sucks.

Thanks Chris. I look forward to your comments.

I upgraded my factory four guage cluster to the six guage IUP cluster. Did the work myselft except the download/upload needed (done at dealer) and I put back together. Real easy. New cluster costs ~$400, but it's the same one that's in the IUP vehicles. Factory look, but now I am concerned that the pressure guage is a dummy guage (it never goes up even under hard excelleration).

Just a thought on another route to consider if you didn't have IUP to begin with (I didn't like the silver dash).

• 2 weeks later...

Like Savage1969 I've ordered the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) cluster for my "base" SGT. I bought my car from dealer inventory and was slightly disappointed that it did not have the IUP. I too wanted the extra gauges plus MyColor and messaging center. After reading this and other forums, then educating my dealer, I cut a deal for 1/2 price installed. They wanted nearly $800!!! This after giving them a nice profit on the car purchase. After some griping to the Sales Manager I finally talked them down to 1/2 price, or probably near dealer cost. The cluster is on order and I'll post the results after installation.

The swap is easy.

1. Order IUP cluster contol buttons & correct cluster through your dealer's parts dept (you will have to give current mileage and make sure you get MPH not KPH cluster).

2. When parts arrive, remove dummy plate on center dash and install cluster control button then remove cluster dash cover and drive to service dept.

3. Have service download your cluster data through the OBDII port.

4. Have service swap cluster by removing four screws and one cam wire plug.

5. Have service upload cluster data to new unit.

6. Replace cluster dash cover, pay service and drive away.

7. Miles-to-empty may not be correct untill you refill on empty tank to let new cluster re-calibrate.

8. Enjoy your new cluster in non-IUP SGT.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer completed my IUP cluster swap today. Final price was $280 after getting 50% off (see earlier post). This was their first swap but so far everything appears to be working fine. Took about an hour. The only odd thing I noticed was that my odometer was off slightly (about 300 miles in my favor). Strange because I thought the old > new download should retain the exact mileage. I'll keep an eye on things and post any unusual problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long. My digital camera is stuck in Italy with my wife. I had to fill up a disposable camera and get it developed. So the pictures may not be that great either.

Some of my impressions that you may be able to see. The surface texture is differnt then the dashs texture. Not bad but it is noticeable. The tape on the passenger side has failed and I can easily lift the housing up (Waiting for a response from SAI). The sides of the instrument cluster does't meet with the dash and you can see a gap. It is worse on the driver side. When I replace the stripe I am going to look for trim pieces I can use. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them quicker this time.

48000003.jpg

48000002.jpg

48000001.jpg

48000004.jpg

...please excuse my finger.

Edit: bugger, you can't really see anything I was talking about.

Archived