TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Shelby GT/SC" Stripe

ShelbyPilot

OK, I guess it's my turn to be the bad guy tonight. I started a new thread instead of posting a reply on Cudas so it can fall of the list eventually and not take away from the awesome job Cuda did.

Louie has made two post regarding the Shelby GT/SC stripe for aftermarket installs. I am certainly not intending to offend Louie but I really hope SAI doesn't start shipping "Shelby GT/SC" stripes out to local shop or personal installs. I paid a nice chunk of change to have SAI install my supercharger and more to the point I waited over four months for my Shelby GT to get a supercharger.

Now, the "Shelby GT/SC" stripe was a late addition to the supercharger package. I found about the stripe about three days before picking up my car. For the most part I believe that it came from several request on this board and others as well as PM's to SAI staff inclding Amy to develop a special edition package for the Shelby GT. That grass root effort was successful. I have no problem if SAI wants to develop a program that allows a Shelby GT owner to send their car to SAI or other install location and have the supercharger installed and then branded with the stripe.

Granted this rant is very selfish of me but I can't help it. I paid a hefty cost for something extra special. I don't want to have to answer, "did SAI really install your supercharger, do you have proof?" Louie no offense but I one of us is going to be disappointed. I hope it is not me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I guess it's my turn to be the bad guy tonight. I started a new thread instead of posting a reply on Cudas so it can fall of the list eventually and not take away from the awesome job Cuda did.

Louie has made two post regarding the Shelby GT/SC stripe for aftermarket installs. I am certainly not intending to offend Louie but I really hope SAI doesn't start shipping "Shelby GT/SC" stripes out to local shop or personal installs. I paid a nice chunk of change to have SAI install my supercharger and more to the point I waited over four months for my Shelby GT to get a supercharger.

Now, the "Shelby GT/SC" stripe was a late addition to the supercharger package. I found about the stripe about three days before picking up my car. For the most part I believe that it came from several request on this board and others as well as PM's to SAI staff inclding Amy to develop a special edition package for the Shelby GT. That grass root effort was successful. I have no problem if SAI wants to develop a program that allows a Shelby GT owner to send their car to SAI or other install location and have the supercharger installed and then branded with the stripe.

Granted this rant is very selfish of me but I can't help it. I paid a hefty cost for something extra special. I don't want to have to answer, "did SAI really install your supercharger, do you have proof?" Louie no offense but I one of us is going to be disappointed. I hope it is not me.

WOW I THINK YOU JUST OPENED A CAN OF WORMS

socal, I have to agree with you. If anyone can get the stripe, it dilutes the brand and image. What makes the Shelby Mustangs so special is that the Shelby shop converted them. Further conversion by others, including owners, is fine if that's what they want to do, but its not original Shelby and they should therefore not earn the stripe. If they sell these stripes aftermarket, kids w/ v6 Mustangs will be putting them on their cars. But, I think there is no stopping it because there will always be copies done of it anyway and there will always be posers.

socal, I have to agree with you. If anyone can get the stripe, it dilutes the brand and image. What makes the Shelby Mustangs so special is that the Shelby shop converted them. Further conversion by others, including owners, is fine if that's what they want to do, but its not original Shelby and they should therefore not earn the stripe. If they sell these stripes aftermarket, kids w/ v6 Mustangs will be putting them on their cars. But, I think there is no stopping it because there will always be copies done of it anyway and there will always be posers.

My two cents..and I do respect what you have said above....

If you buy the SC from SAI....the stripe should come with it.

The stripes should not be sold aftermarket..and i doubt they will. Anyone can create a duplicate though. I saw a v6 with GT500 on the bottom.

Shelby is very very picky about who they send any stripes to...trust me on that lol

If anyone can get the stripe, it dilutes the brand and image. What makes the Shelby Mustangs so special is that the Shelby shop converted them. If they sell these stripes aftermarket, kids w/ v6 Mustangs will be putting them on their cars. But, I think there is no stopping it because there will always be copies done of it anyway and there will always be posers.

And that my friend IS the point. But we will always have the CSM #.

I dont see a problem SAI sending a srtipe out to be put on specified installton shop that is recongnized by shelby....thats what they did in 60's

Very good point...but there are also very qualified people like that are on this board that can do a self install...so they should get the stripe too. :rolleyes:

I think: You need to own a SGT before you get any SGT stripes period, ESPECIALLY GT/SC srtipes! Before you get GT/SC stripes you need to have purchased a Shelby SC from Shelby and own a SGT, again period.

I too have seen GT500 stripes on "clones" and I hate to see it.

My two cents..and I do respect what you have said above....

If you buy the SC from SAI....the stripe should come with it.

The stripes should not be sold aftermarket..and i doubt they will. Anyone can create a duplicate though. I saw a v6 with GT500 on the bottom.

Shelby is very very picky about who they send any stripes to...trust me on that lol

I agree with you! If I wasnt clear, sorry.

I think: You need to own a SGT before you get any SGT stripes period, ESPECIALLY GT/SC srtipes! Before you get GT/SC stripes you need to have purchased a Shelby SC from Shelby and own a SGT, again period.

I too have seen GT500 stripes on "clones" and I hate to see it.

like we said its a CLONE and people who own will know that and thats all that matters

like we said its a CLONE and people who own will know that and thats all that matters

I agree but in another expample - what about the S-H-E-L-B-Y trunk letters for sale on the web site. "Make your car look more like a Shelby", the description reads. This should not be done as it dilutes the brand and it's not fair to us guys who are paying large bucks for a real SHELBY. <_<

I agree but in another expample - what about the S-H-E-L-B-Y trunk letters for sale on the web site. "Make your car look more like a Shelby", the description reads. This should not be done as it dilutes the brand and it's not fair to us guys who are paying large bucks for a real SHELBY. <_<

I don't think you'll ever get rid of the "clone" syndrome. Yes it does dilute the brand in name. But original cars will always be original cars. I have been documenting every e-mail sent and received and have been receiving all the communication paperwork on my particular car. I have a folder that is now 1/4" thick and I don't have the car yet.

Documentation is key and always will be.

.....ah but what will be considered an original Shelby GT/SC. A car that leaves SAI with the supercharger, one that is returned to SAI or authorized installer, or anybody installs a Shelby Paxton on their car this year, next year or five years from now. That is what I am concerned about.

.....ah but what will be considered an original Shelby GT/SC. A car that leaves SAI with the supercharger, one that is returned to SAI or authorized installer, or anybody installs a Shelby Paxton on their car this year, next year or five years from now. That is what I am concerned about.

Yours with be an original....everything else with have an asterisk after it.

I agree with ya socal! What you have that others won't,is documentation of all the mods you did,and the DATES,prior to you receiving ownership. That in itself should be worth something. You should have paperwork,showing all the mods done in "Vegas"

I do feel,that at bare minimum,that the stripes will/should only be provided,IF,you purchase a Shelby blower. To add to that,I feel Shelby should authorize limited shops to install said blower,under STRICT instructions per Shelby.

The hood scoop issue the wife and I dealt with,with Ford,said and showed me alot. Not any Joker should be allowed to touch/work on these cars! If Shelby INC has any say in things,they should prevent certain dealers,rights to selling Shelby products,IMO.

I would think SAI has a legal team on retainer to protect Trade Mark and copyright issues. And the use of such would be under contract with fees paid to SAI for authorized usage.

There will be people who purchase from SAI and will have that documentation. They may choose to install their own or contract out. They still have the documentation of the purchase from SAI.

I did not ask anyone though, did your modifications appear on your SAI window sticker? Or was it on a work order?

Now if they were done at SAI and included in the SAI window sticker great! But SAI would have the documentation within their records for any items purchased, shipped and installed anyway.

I truly see both sides here. On the selfish side I would like the most protection I could have for my purchase. This is my reasoning for the specific documentation. But look at Barrett Jackson......"re-creations" are bringing more $$$$ than originals in the HEMI world. I don't see many "Shelby" Mustang re-creations within the Barrett Jackson auctions. There will always be specific markets for the "re-creations" and the originals. The originals, when it comes to the "Shelby" name hold a lot of weight.

You know, now that I think of it, I probably won't be around when this all comes up in the future anyway. :lol::lol::lol:

If I decided to S/C my SGT then my car is a GT/SC as long as it was done by SAI or an authorized Shelby dealer. Same Paxon S/C same final out come. If I bought a SC from SAI and had a "AUTHORIZED" Shelby dealer install the SC, then that car would be "considered" a GT/SC as well. Your car however was done right at the SAI, factory install, and i think the record books "might" reflect that. So if I ever had one installed I would have it done at SAI for the record or an authorized Shelby installer. B)

Socal, you have a good point but what about those of us that bought our cars before we knew we could order it with a supercharger? If I had known I could have SAI install one at the factory I would have, but I didn't know that the options were available untill I started posting here. Since the options were not put in front of us as they were you why should we be discriminated against?

Yours with be an original....everything else with have an asterisk after it.

lol, no even mine would have the asterisk, CM198 was the original.

I did not ask anyone though, did your modifications appear on your SAI window sticker? Or was it on a work order?

It doesn't show on a window sticker. It is only on an invoice.

Socal, you have a good point but what about those of us that bought our cars before we knew we could order it with a supercharger? If I had known I could have SAI install one at the factory I would have, but I didn't know that the options were available untill I started posting here. Since the options were not put in front of us as they were you why should we be discriminated against?

.....maybe I didn't communicate it well in my post. The stripe actually came about from the request of a few of us for an upgrade package for the Shelby GT. Much like the Super Snake package it would be available for owners to send their cars to SAI or a future east coast install location. One of the reasons I gave to Amy was your point of those who didn't know they could order one or those who bought off the showroom.

I have no problem with somebody sending their car to SAI or 2nd install location and getting a supercharger for their car to include the stripe. My concern is about the others that don't have SAI install.

I guess what I don't understand is why SAI isn't protecting the Shelby GT/SC like they are protecting the Super Snake and the 40th Anniversary package for the GT500.

Wow----- This topics to hot to touch, glad I'm just reading and passing through on this one.

GG

....I appreciate that everybody has been quite respectful so far.

I think this is part of the problem with the entire project. Ford has done a P*ss poor job marketing and thinking out this thing. There has been reactions and adjustments to things coming up but someone needs to get out of ahead of this stuff and think out all the ramifications before hand. Maybe Don Rumself isnt busy. He did a great job in his last capacity at thinking ahead of things ;)

I think this is part of the problem with the entire project. Ford has done a P*ss poor job marketing and thinking out this thing. There has been reactions and adjustments to things coming up but someone needs to get out of ahead of this stuff and think out all the ramifications before hand. Maybe Don Rumself isnt busy. He did a great job in his last capacity at thinking ahead of things ;)

I agree mostly. This Shelby is the least known Shelby ever produced, it is a sleeper. This car is lost in the Shelby shuffle, it has no designation by FOMOCO and very little by Shelby. It should since it is the bread & butter of the Shelby capital arrangement (it has made Shelby MORE money than any Shelby to date)! I wounder though if that will make it more valuable in the long run, SC/GT stripe or no stripe?

I am ready to chime in, I agree with socal that the SGT/SC stripe should be EXCLUSIVE to a S/C bought and installed SAI or other AUTHORIZED installer. The SGT/SC stripe definitely adds to the value of a particular SGT and makes it rarer/more exculsive, and after paying SAI a bit more then I would have elsewhere, I would love to see that extra money pay off

Archived