TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brakes

wkb_merged

My dealer who is a Steeda dealer says we can upgrade to 14" rotors and better brake pads to improve our braking ability. Rick

I just discovered this brake upgrade package on Ford Racing last night. It works w/ the 18" cobra wheels, but doesn't mention the Shelby GT wheels. Maybe if you call FR they can tell you.

Mustang GT Brake Upgrade

For all the caliper upgrades I've seen, you have to have 9.0" or 9.5" width rims. Ours are 8.5" :( . I have to agree with Cobrawertz, all I know of is chaging to better rotors and pads, leaving the stock caliper. Anyone else?

Unless you're road racing the car, a switch of pads & rotors (slotted or drilled, esp.) should be more than adequate I would think.

....in my observation the wheel problem with the brake package is the wheel offset not the diameter. The GT500 has a Brembo package (now available on FRPP also) inside of 18" wheels. However, they are 9.5" wide and the offset is correct. If you look at the Baer web site, the have a package specifically designed for the Mustang (& Subaru WRX?). It reads exactly the same as Shelby's Baer package except for the branded calipers. In its specifications it says 18" wheel or larger and check fitment.

If you really want to keep 18" wheels (I was thinking that way for a long time) try to find the right offset. My front wheels are 9" wide with a 39mm offset and the fit (over the calipers and inside the fender) is perfect. I know of others who went with 9.5" but I don't know the offset. If you really want to keep your stock bullets, can you use a spacer and maybe longer wheel studs to give you a larger offset????? I don't know the answer that is why so many question marks. Whatever you do take your time, measure several times, and seek professional help.

EDIT: I should have thought of this when I did my brake swap. When I can I will put a stock wheel back on my car and see if the diameter is OK and about how much spacer might be needed. However, I am out of town until the second week of June so it might be awhile unless somebody else with the big brakes can try in the meantime.

Would you not agree that wheel spacers are generally a very bad idea? Ultimately, if you need more space, buy a wider rim or wait until you can afford it. Wheel spacers can break, offset geometry incorrectly, and be made of poor materials. That's rather dangerous. I don't believe you will find many, if any, professionals that would recommend spacing anything.

I'm not slamming you, I just don't want someone who is not familiar with spacers to get the wrong idea. If you somehow feel this is a safe idea, please correct me and elaborate.

As a side note....how bad are you missing your blown SGT? I had to go out of town for a week and had withdrawal symptoms! :lol:

Would you not agree that wheel spacers are generally a very bad idea? Ultimately, if you need more space, buy a wider rim or wait until you can afford it. Wheel spacers can break, offset geometry incorrectly, and be made of poor materials. That's rather dangerous. I don't believe you will find many, if any, professionals that would recommend spacing anything.

I'm not slamming you, I just don't want someone who is not familiar with spacers to get the wrong idea. If you somehow feel this is a safe idea, please correct me and elaborate.

As a side note....how bad are you missing your blown SGT? I had to go out of town for a week and had withdrawal symptoms! :lol:

....I concur with you and would not do it on my car. It was a thought. Not all of my thoughts are very good.

I am missing it more know then I was before I received. I picked up and drove home on Friday. I worked Saturday and Sunday. I did the brakes on Monday and had to pack Tuesday. I did get a chance to wash it Tuesday evening but that was it.

I am missing it more know then I was before I received. I picked up and drove home on Friday. I worked Saturday and Sunday. I did the brakes on Monday and had to pack Tuesday. I did get a chance to wash it Tuesday evening but that was it.

Boy.........that pony better be ready for one long hard ride! :lol:

Archived