TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Rattle - NORMAL CONDITION???

ilmor

No, its definitely in the rear. I'm just letting them go through whatever steps they think they should take.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey gang,

I don't have an SGT but rather a regular 06 GT with CS6 body parts however my car has FRPP/Stinger mufflers on it. I didn't have any rattle issues with it but soon after I picked it up I did an install of the same FRPP X-Pipe that is on the SGT's and when I took it out for a test run I heard a "rattle" from the rear of the car that sounded like it was coming from the trunk. I personally would call it more of a rapid vibration sound vs a rattle but non the less it sounds as if it's the same as what a lot of you are hearing.

When I got the car back to the house I put it back up on stands and checked all over for it but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, even the Muffler hangers. After a while I noticed that the left side axle over pipe (pipe that runs from the X to the mufflers over the rear axle) was practically leaning against the rear end housing. It didn't touch but was so close that with any vibration would cause it to hit. I banged on the pipe and sure enough I duplicated the sound I was hearing. What had happened is after I got the X on I had to line up the muffler tips with the rear fascia again. To do this you need to have the clamps that hold the over axle pipes to the X loose thus allowing you a little wiggle room to move the muffler side to side or even in or out. Those over axle pipes are around a lot of different pieces of metal near the rear axle that they could easily hit if moved to much (which is what I did). Spent a little more time under there making sure both pipes where free from anything else and boom, no more rattle. Here is a link to a writeup I did for the X install so you can see under there. The other link is of the FRPP mufflers from another guy who talks about some of the same stuff.

X-Pipe Install

FRPP Muffler install.

Since then I had the FRPP X-Pipe replaced with a Magnaflow hi-flow X and after 7 months I had one of those mid clamps loosen up on me last week. I was under there tonight to tighten them up and what not and bam, the rattle is back now. I am going to get under there tomorrow to adjust everything again so I will try to take some pictures and maybe shoot a couple videos of it.

Hope this helps.

Finally got mine back up on the rack. And here is what I did.

My noise was coming from the right rear only. Mostly when hitting

large bumps in the road or hard shifting.

I took the exhaust loose in photo 1 at the back of the converter.

I took the muffler clamp loose in photo 2.

I pushed the exhaust to the Inside or Left, this made the exhaust stand

straight up more. (correction..mine was the opposite of GPStang06, too far to outside)

In photo 4 I have circled what I thought was making the noise.

The Exhaust hitting the rear lateral arm.

The emergency brake cable running throught the axle arm was also a concern.

Zip tied it to the arm, not too tight. photo 3

Drove the car pretty hard and no more noise! :D

Had to edit, some photos did not come out.

OK , sorry for the delay but getting ready for vacation has consumed my time.

Here is the video clip. The vibration can be heard but not as easily as I had hoped but it is there. You can hear it when the car is under idle at about 14-15 seconds into the clip. You can also hear it after I rev the gas and the engine begins to come down in rpm's at 34, 37, 49, and 52 seconds into the clip. I heard the rattle also when going over bumps and I was able to reproduce the noise when the car was off by closing the trunk and causing the exhaust pipes to move. Here is the clip.

Exhaust rattle clip

This time when I got under the car I found the muffler hangers where fine and both over axle pipes had plenty of clearance along side the rear end housing. I found the trouble spot was where the over axle pipe goes over all of the rear end components and the right side only had a sliver of space between it and the support bar below it. When the exhaust vibrated enough or shifted enough from bumps or body flex it whould lean against the support bar and vibrate causing the noise.

Right-Side.jpg

There are a lot of areas under there where the exhaust can rub up against and cause the same noise. Even if everything looks clear when the car is off the exhaust might still be hitting something when accelerating, going over a bump, braking, etc etc. When the mufflers are cool enough try "smacking" one from the bottom and then from the side. When you do this you cause the who exhuast system all the way up the the X pipe to vibrate. I did this when under the car which is what allowed me to trace where I was having the issue. I fixed mine by simply loosening the muffler bolt connected to the over axle pipe, pushed up on the muffler and tightened it back up while pushing it upward. This caused the axle over pipe to rest in a higher position giving me the clearance I needed. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Nice JB, you replied as I was typing mine out. I had this open all morning but a crisis at work held me up. :P

OK , sorry for the delay but getting ready for vacation has consumed my time.

Here is the video clip. The vibration can be heard but not as easily as I had hoped but it is there. You can hear it when the car is under idle at about 14-15 seconds into the clip. You can also hear it after I rev the gas and the engine begins to come down in rpm's at 34, 37, 49, and 52 seconds into the clip. I heard the rattle also when going over bumps and I was able to reproduce the noise when the car was off by closing the trunk and causing the exhaust pipes to move. Here is the clip.

Exhaust rattle clip

This time when I got under the car I found the muffler hangers where fine and both over axle pipes had plenty of clearance along side the rear end housing. I found the trouble spot was where the over axle pipe goes over all of the rear end components and the right side only had a sliver of space between it and the support bar below it. When the exhaust vibrated enough or shifted enough from bumps or body flex it whould lean against the support bar and vibrate causing the noise.

Right-Side.jpg

There are a lot of areas under there where the exhaust can rub up against and cause the same noise. Even if everything looks clear when the car is off the exhaust might still be hitting something when accelerating, going over a bump, braking, etc etc. When the mufflers are cool enough try "smacking" one from the bottom and then from the side. When you do this you cause the who exhuast system all the way up the the X pipe to vibrate. I did this when under the car which is what allowed me to trace where I was having the issue. I fixed mine by simply loosening the muffler bolt connected to the over axle pipe, pushed up on the muffler and tightened it back up while pushing it upward. This caused the axle over pipe to rest in a higher position giving me the clearance I needed. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Nice JB, you replied as I was typing mine out. I had this open all morning but a crisis at work held me up. :P

Excellent photo! I was out of space and my photo like yours did not post. I have done an edit

and it is now on there.

That pipe needs just a little more of a bend in it to clear and that would probably eliminate the noise completely.

My dealer finally repaired the common scraping issue on the driver side. They cut off about 1/2" of the muffler hanger that was scraping the rear bumper frame. The paint was worn off so it was pretty easy to show them the problem. Thanks to all who posted this fix. They couldn't find the passenger side exhaust rattle so I'm still looking. Don't seem to have the clearance problems others have discussed. Fortunately it's not too bad so I can probably live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that my exhaust rattle condition, the original subject of this topic, is finally fixed after 2 months and 5 or 6 service visits! The source of the problem actually turned out to be the clutch. The clutch was somehow defective, which was causing a slight chatter and a vibration when engaging. The vibration was enough to shake the engine / drivetrain such that the exhaust system would bang against the chassis. The clutch was replaced and the flywheel resurfaced, and now the clutch engagement is smooth and normal and the vibration and subsequent noise is no more.

Many thanks to the Ford Performance Group (Dearborn, MI) and Selig Ford (Hartford, CT) for their good hard work in diagnosing and resolving this condition. Selig Ford was the second dealer I took the car to, as the first dealer was unsatisfactory. Selig, working by telephone w/ Ford Performance, looked at and checked everything extensively, including the total exhaust system, the rear axle, the driveshaft, motor & transmission mounts, Hurst shifter, you name it. All work was performed under Shelby and Ford warranties at no cost to me.

Now I can finally fully enjoy and drive my Shelby GT as it was meant to be!

YEAH! :) Just read this post from beginning to end. Glad it finally worked out for you.

When I got my 96GT, whenever I went over a bump, I heard this noise that sounded like a screw was rolling around somewhere near the front of the car. After repeated visits, they finally discovered the culprit. Factory worker lost his socket from a socket wrench and it was rolling around somewhere in the front part of the chassis.

YEAH! :) Just read this post from beginning to end. Glad it finally worked out for you.

When I got my 96GT, whenever I went over a bump, I heard this noise that sounded like a screw was rolling around somewhere near the front of the car. After repeated visits, they finally discovered the culprit. Factory worker lost his socket from a socket wrench and it was rolling around somewhere in the front part of the chassis.

I go in tomorrow for an oil change, so I am going to have them take a look. I don't hear it often, mainly over bumps. ( and when the radio is turned down :P )

SDEAR,

After numerous attempts to find the problem myself and then 2-3 trips to the local FORD Dealer, I finally asked them to simply replace the Driver's Side Muffler... Especially since it's still UNDER WARANTEE!!!

Not only did they (FORD RACING & The Dealership) replace the Driver's Side, they did the Passenger's Side as well... Needless to say, all the extraneous bumps, bangs and noises went away as soon as I drove away from the Service Dept... Even to the point that I forgot it was a problem... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

SDEAR,

After numerous attempts to find the problem myself and then 2-3 trips to the local FORD Dealer, I finally asked them to simply replace the Driver's Side Muffler... Especially since it's still UNDER WARANTEE!!!

Not only did they (FORD RACING & The Dealership) replace the Driver's Side, they did the Passenger's Side as well... Needless to say, all the extraneous bumps, bangs and noises went away as soon as I drove away from the Service Dept... Even to the point that I forgot it was a problem... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

Thanks..I have pasted all this info in this thread to take to the dealer. I appreciate the info !!

Sue

Same here on #384. Maybe the same guy built these.

Ok...just home from the dealer. I am fortunate at this new dealer, as they have a GREAT mechanic that is known in our area as being one of the best on Mustangs and Cobras.

Anyways...he took the car out. He finally was able to duplicate the rattle. He took me for a ride to make sure it was what I was hearing. Yes ! Then he had another guy take him while he rode in the back seat so he could hear closer.

Anyways....he found the noise ! Here is what he wrote on the paper work :

After car is hot exhaust expands and rear mounting bracket on muffler contacts body mount and creates noise (metal to metal ) , loosened all fasterners and adjust exhaust to prevent contact .

Noise is gone !!! :D He said it was the bracket closest to the "front" of the muffler, and where it bends over, it was making contact. (something like that )

Anyways...the noise is gone !!!

One visit for this problem and solved !! I am very happy !

He is going to do all my work on this car for me.....they didnt even have their "lot" guy pull it in...he came out and got it from me ! Great service !! He checked everything out underneath for me...and all is well.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Sue

Ok...just home from the dealer. I am fortunate at this new dealer, as they have a GREAT mechanic that is known in our area as being one of the best on Mustangs and Cobras.

Anyways...he took the car out. He finally was able to duplicate the rattle. He took me for a ride to make sure it was what I was hearing. Yes ! Then he had another guy take him while he rode in the back seat so he could hear closer.

Anyways....he found the noise ! Here is what he wrote on the paper work :

After car is hot exhaust expands and rear mounting bracket on muffler contacts body mount and creates noise (metal to metal ) , loosened all fasterners and adjust exhaust to prevent contact .

Noise is gone !!! :D He said it was the bracket closest to the "front" of the muffler, and where it bends over, it was making contact. (something like that )

Anyways...the noise is gone !!!

One visit for this problem and solved !! I am very happy !

He is going to do all my work on this car for me.....they didnt even have their "lot" guy pull it in...he came out and got it from me ! Great service !! He checked everything out underneath for me...and all is well.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Sue

Yeah..but my bubble has burst. I go out to get in the car, and one hood pin is gone off one of the rings :angry:

Archived