TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Rattle - NORMAL CONDITION???

ilmor

I took my SGT in for an exhaust rattle noise this morning, to Wagner Ford in Simsbury, MD. My issue is, that when letting out the clutch, low rpm, whether going forward or reverse, the exhaust begins to rattle and hit somewhere. It is very noticable and load, inside and outside of the car.

The report I got from the dealer is that this is a NORMAL CONDITION for the car. The dealer states that they were informed of this by Ford Performance Group when calling the 800-367-3788. I told Wagner Ford that I found this very hard to believe, and, if its a normal condition for the car, therefore every SGT owner must be experiencing this. Are you guys all experiencing this?

SAI folks - please confirm this discussion and diagnosis.

EDIT - When picking up my car, the dealer told me that the exhaust is solid and it is not the exhaust. He stated that there is no evidence of the exhaust being loose or hitting anything. He said that the problem is actually that the rear axle is vibrating excessively somehow when releasing the clutch at low rpm - so much so that they can actually see the rear calipers vibrating. The noise if loud inside the car, and it shakes the car. According to my dealer, the folks at Ford Performance Group 800-367-3788 said this is NORMAL. My dealership noted that this is not normal with the regular Mustang GT's.

Edit #2 5/23/07 - I want to point out that Ford Performance is being very helpful to me in getting this issue resolved. I will not know how it all turns out, however, until I am able to schedule another appointment w/ a Ford dealer.

Thank you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took my SGT in for an exhaust rattle noise this morning, to Wagner Ford in Simsbury, MD. My issue is, that when letting out the clutch, low rpm, whether going forward or reverse, the exhaust begins to rattle and hit somewhere. It is very noticable and load, inside and outside of the car.

The report I got from the dealer is that this is a NORMAL CONDITION for the car. The dealer states that they were informed of this by Mitchell of SAI. I told Wagner Ford that I found this very hard to believe, and, if its a normal condition for the car, therefore every SGT owner must be experiencing this. Are you guys all experiencing this?

Thank you.

ilmor, read your post to John too, our prayers are with you my friend.

I have 3218 miles on #507 and have had no exhaust rattle whatsoever.

I have intermittent rattling on my car #545. I don't hear it all the time, but seems more so when I accelerate. I plan on having them check it when I do my first oil change.

The report I got from the dealer is that this is a NORMAL CONDITION for the car. The dealer states that they were informed of this by Mitchell of SAI. I told Wagner Ford that I found this very hard to believe, and, if its a normal condition for the car, therefore every SGT owner must be experiencing this. Are you guys all experiencing this?

Thank you.

I get it too when I go reverse. I thought maybe it's normal because when I use more gas, it goes away. Please do let me know how and what you are going to do about this.

I get it too when I go reverse. I thought maybe it's normal because when I use more gas, it goes away. Please do let me know how and what you are going to do about this.

seems like i read earlier in April that some had a half inch of the bracket taken off, and that solved the problem..but i could be wrong

Everyone, please see my edit / addition in the original post - dealer says the rear axle is causing this noise, not the exhaust, and that the Ford Performance Group states it is NORMAL. I would appreciate responses from the group, as well as SAI. Thanks.

seems like i read earlier in April that some had a half inch of the bracket taken off, and that solved the problem..but i could be wrong

Yeah I did that fix This is a different rattle we're hearing.

Ilmor, it's exactly what I have too. When I use more gas to keep rpm above 2k, it goes away.. same thing as yours>?

Yeah I did that fix This is a different rattle we're hearing.

Ilmor, it's exactly what I have too. When I use more gas to keep rpm above 2k, it goes away.. same thing as yours>?

Yes - that sounds just like it! Everyone else please chime in!

When I recieved my car, I also heard a rattle, I thought it was the dealer licence plate frame on the back, took it off and I still hear it at low rpm's, mine is a automatic,

To clarify more, mine is not just a rattle, a really loud rattle, more akin to a banging noise. Maybe I can figure out a way to record it.

I may be way off...but I wonder if is the sound of the exhaust going through the "X pipe" which standard Stangs do not have. Don't start laughing. Corvette C5 Z06's have a unique exhaust system with an X pipe and at low rpms they produce a 'rattle' sound that can be heard in the cabin if the radio is off-scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it...nothing is hitting--just a noise caused by the exhaust exiting........ I'm thinking this might be some of the cause if there are no loose fittings or connections--although ilmors complaint of really LOUD sounds would seem to eliminate this possibility.

I do not think this is a normal condition! I own #1274,and also experienced dimilar noise. Sometimes a rattle, and sometimes it was quite loud. It seemed to be at lower RPM, when the engine was under a load, especially when letting out the clutch. Iwent back to my dealer and we put it on a lift. At first we could find nothing. Iactually looked at it myself and with the mechanic. It was not the exhaust brackets as many others were. What I discovered was the exhaust pipe was contacting the rear axle center section just where it begins to bend up to go over the axle. We loosened the clamps and pushed the pipe foward until it had clearance, then retigtened the clamps. This location was very difficult to see unless you are directly under it. that took care of the rattle or banging. Hope this helps

#687, 1000 miles now has had noise since day one. Same rattle, can feel it through the shifter, seems like its coming from the clutch area. It only happens at low RPM when the clutch is between engaged and disengaged.

I put the car on the lift and checked the exhaust from one end to the other, no signs of any problems there. The left muffler hangar was ok as was the right converter. I don't think my noise is from the exhaust, and if its NORMAL they can have the thing back. It is real dissapointing and not right. The only reason I havn't taken it to the dealer is because I know they will give me that old song and dance and point the finger to the god of NORMAL.

Sorry for the rant but I feel your pain.

Here is where I finally found my rattle... And YES! I too had it on the rack with the FORD mech telling me everything was "solid"... They adjusted the X-Pipe and the made sure BOTH cats weren't banging the frame rails... I also cut off 1/2" from the BACK Muffler Clamp (Driver's Side) as it looked like it could possibly make contact with one of the Bumper Bolts... However, my problem still existed after spending a few hours under a brand new car???

The picture shows the FRONT Muffler bracket on the Driver's Side (picture taken from behind LR Tire)... I have bent the bracket slightly forward as well as filed away about 1/4" from the actual hanger (not pictured, but bolted to the frame itself)... There is a bend in the bracket that appears to make contact with the metal part of the hanger itself... However, you can't make them touch each other unless the car is moving...

Mine typically occurred under "spirited" acceleration or making a hard LH turn... The twisting motion of the frame seemed to be enough for it to cause the annoying rattle that I couldn't find while sitting still... The only time I hear the rattle is on rough pavement when the whole car is bouncing around... So I know there is a little more of the bracket I need to remove before it's completely gone...

When I get the time, I'll try to post more detailed "How-To" pics for everyone to use or at least take to the Dealer to show them where to start...

Good Luck!

07SGT0547

Edit ~ Seems my picture didn't make it??? Must not have enough posts to be allowed "pictures" with my words???

2nd Edit ~ Picture posted in GALLERY under LH Muffler Rattle... More pics to follow when I get the time to take it off again B)

I do not think this is a normal condition! I own #1274,and also experienced dimilar noise. Sometimes a rattle, and sometimes it was quite loud. It seemed to be at lower RPM, when the engine was under a load, especially when letting out the clutch. Iwent back to my dealer and we put it on a lift. At first we could find nothing. Iactually looked at it myself and with the mechanic. It was not the exhaust brackets as many others were. What I discovered was the exhaust pipe was contacting the rear axle center section just where it begins to bend up to go over the axle. We loosened the clamps and pushed the pipe foward until it had clearance, then retigtened the clamps. This location was very difficult to see unless you are directly under it. that took care of the rattle or banging. Hope this helps

This is what I thought it was, but my dealers thinks its something w/ the rear axle and won't cover it under warranty because of the SAI mods, and Ford Perf. Group says it is "normal". I have a feeling that they have not communicated with each other well on this one.

Mine is not in the shifter area, its definitely in the rear somewhere in the axle area.

Mine is definitely an exhaust banging. It happens, especially, when I hit bumps in the road. I have a 2nd appt. at my local Ford dealer :angry: (who shall remain nameless - rat b@$t@rd$) this Friday morning. I believe the issue is the left hanger is too long. (This has been discussed before in other threads) If you look at my exhaust from the back, the left side is lower than the right side. They will fix it and I'll keep you posted on it...

I STILL LOVE MY #52!!! :D

Gary

I am hearing a slight rattle under normal driving conditions that seems to be coming from the trunk. I have checked the left muffler hanger that some have had problems with. It is not even close. Thinking SAI may have trimmed it when my car fail inspection with the "scoop issue".

Tim

Update - I want to point out that Ford Performance is being very helpful to me in getting this issue resolved. I will not know how it all turns out, however, until I am able to schedule another appointment w/ a Ford dealer.

Update - I want to point out that Ford Performance is being very helpful to me in getting this issue resolved. I will not know how it all turns out, however, until I am able to schedule another appointment w/ a Ford dealer.

aight keep us updated..

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sorry for being away from the forum long enough to let this issue slip. I will talk with the guys in the shop and see what they have been experiencing. We have indeed corrected an issue we had with the exhaust rattle. If there is an issue with the rear end, this IS still covered under the Ford warranty. Very curious. I will follow this one closely and get you guys answers when I get them. -John

Guys, sorry for being away from the forum long enough to let this issue slip. I will talk with the guys in the shop and see what they have been experiencing. We have indeed corrected an issue we had with the exhaust rattle. If there is an issue with the rear end, this IS still covered under the Ford warranty. Very curious. I will follow this one closely and get you guys answers when I get them. -John

Thanks John. I have been saving info I find on here to take to a dealer when I go in for the first oil change. I only hear it once in awhile...and it's on the drivers side rear I "think".

Sue

aka Ralph :P

Good! I am taking a printout of this page w/ me to the dealer on Thursday!

My rattle was identical. my local ford dealer (Salerno Duane in Summit NJ) said the exhaust or some bracket was put on incorrectly at the factory, it was i believe backwards.. i had banging at heavy load, deceleration and any bump in the road...its gone now..

Interesting. Maybe Ford will issue a TSB. Wonder is the std. GT has the same issue?

....if we are all talking about the same thing then it is related to the driver side muffler. The FRPP muffler is exclusive to the Shelby GT. I don't think Mustang GTs would have the problem. It is reall easy to see if you can get the rear of your car off the ground. Look at the top of the driver side muffler and you will see the hanger. It is a rod that goes through a body mount. Follow it to the rear, the direction it points, and you can see where it makes contact with a chasis part. My car has a vertical scratch. I believe that is what we are all talking about.

Archived