TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AMY,JOHN,BUD ANY WORD ON C/S EMBLEM ON THE GAS CAP

dmagner1

As a matter of fact... :P

Ok, I owned one of those Mustang Cobras many years ago. Loved the car BUT I never understood the conflicting dual branding. I think it was a bad decision back then and even worse now. One is a horse the other a snake. They have no relationship to each other in any way. It's a mixed metaphor that serves only one purpose and that is to relate the performance of a particular Mustang to the old Ford Cobras of the 60s. I am cool with GT, GT 350, GT500, GT500KR, but no much with the "Super Snake" stuff. I mean seriously what's the connection between a Mustang horse and a snake? Anyone? Please, I mean I do love the names, Cobra and Super Snake, but I just for some reason can't make the connection mentally and because of that I just cringe when I see it. Especially when I see it where it totally doesn't belong which I believe is on this car. IMHO!!!

Please understand I am not saying you can't put this stuff on your car, I'm not even saying it won't look cool, I'm only suggesting that this car IS unique! There has never been a "Shelby GT" this is IT! I am proud of this car as it is and don't need to throw pictures of snakes on it and take off references to Ford or the Mustang. For me this is about the fact that REALLY think the "GT" gas cap is ugly!

I am happy I have a Shelby GT because this car, unlike all the others called Cobra or have snakes on them, ours was actually put together at SAI, and I just as soon not be associated with the emblem posers to tell you the truth. ;)

Out of breath...

What he said. ;)

And I'm in full agreement that it's not about "what's cool", just "what's cool for ME".

I'm even MORE idiosyncratic about it... I don't even like all the horsies on the car (oh, man, I'd better duck...)

Jer

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting discussion...

Anyway, we all know how "The Legend" came up with the name "Cobra." (I'm sorry; I don't mean any disrespect at all to Mr. Carroll Shelby. Instead, I want to promulgate continuously who he really is so I will keep calling him "The Legend.") Well, the story goes that he used to sleep with a pen and paper (as many of us have in our lives) by his bed. One day, he woke up and found "Cobra" on the paper and didn't recall that he wrote it.

Anyway, they continued to use other Cobra parts such as "Cobra Powered by Ford" valve covers, an aluminum "Cobra" oil sump, an aluminum "Cobra" hi-rise intake manifold, and there were even a few "Cobra" vented battery caps.

So hold on here...are you saying we have cars that were named from the random scribblings of some alcohol induced morning hangover? :blink:

Worse that it was finalized simply because they put random parts in from another car? Isn't that like "you got the job! you fit the suit!" :o

Ugh...ok...somestimes ignorance is good!

:P

So hold on here...are you saying we have cars that were named from the random scribblings of some alcohol induced morning hangover? :blink:

Worse that it was finalized simply because they put random parts in from another car? Isn't that like "you got the job! you fit the suit!" :o

Ugh...ok...somestimes ignorance is good!

:P

Your on to something here Matt :blink:

So where is this gascap they were going to post? B)

I don't see anything different on the website yet

Sue,

I would think we should see something this week. They are busy at SAI and with the extra staff at the Tulsa show they are still probably making there way back to SAI. I've been watching also. Nothing new yet...

Sue,

I would think we should see something this week. They are busy at SAI and with the extra staff at the Tulsa show they are still probably making there way back to SAI. I've been watching also. Nothing new yet...

ahhh okedokie ! Will keep checking :P

Sue,

I'm still watching for a "Mom and Dad went to Vegas and all I got is this stinking T-shirt, my SGT wasn't done yet." shirt!! :D :D :D

or even just an SGT t-shirt would be ok

I'm still watching for a "Mom and Dad went to Vegas and all I got is this stinking T-shirt, my SGT wasn't done yet." shirt!! :D :D :D

or even just an SGT t-shirt would be ok

guys any word on the new cap ...still waiting for the new cap

...well since the new cap hasn't made it to the web site yet maybe it's not too late for a suggestion but considering production time tables, it probably is. Either way here is a suggestion I don't remember seeing.

Clean and simple: "GT" vertically

G

T

It isn't cluttered by ponys, cobras, signatures or anything else and it is how the '60s GTs were.

Also:

MATT, I understand your opinion about the Cobra and agree with some of it. However, when I checked a Mustang book about the GT above, I paged through the Shelby section again. The Shelby Cobra logo, not the tiffany cobra, was used on the 1996 GT350 on the gas cap and steering wheel along with the tribar pony on the grill

...well since the new cap hasn't made it to the web site yet maybe it's not too late for a suggestion but considering production time tables, it probably is. Either way here is a suggestion I don't remember seeing.

Clean and simple: "GT" vertically

G

T

It isn't cluttered by ponys, cobras, signatures or anything else and it is how the '60s GTs were.

Also:

MATT, I understand your opinion about the Cobra and agree with some of it. However, when I checked a Mustang book about the GT above, I paged through the Shelby section again. The Shelby Cobra logo, not the tiffany cobra, was used on the 1996 GT350 on the gas cap and steering wheel along with the tribar pony on the grill

I understand and this isn't bad! It's like the old ones and in that sense are cool. I honestly wouldn't be so anti-cobra if either Ford or SAI had put them there from day one. Since they didn't it seems poser-ish to me if that makes sense. I guess that's why it rubs me the wrong way.

Guess we'll have to wait to see what they came up with!

I always like the look of that Vista Blue CS6.

I posted this idea before but here's an actual photo of a members' car on TMS

attachment.php?attachmentid=28804&d=1182901554

Source: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...14&postcount=21

Here's another TMS member's gas cap emblem. I think he hangs out here too.

Picture187.jpg

Source: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...48&postcount=73

I think the cap we have is fine; that way, the rear of our cars says Shelby GT (w/ the GT being below the word SHELBY).

Archived