AMY,JOHN,BUD ANY WORD ON C/S EMBLEM ON THE GAS CAP

dmagner1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well to bail Adam out. Any body see these on the shelbyperformanceparts.com:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem/100447.aspx

hubcap.jpg

I like the pony's better! It's a MUSTANG and I'm surprised everyone is so quick to remove the deep heritage of this car. Some people have even removed the pony from the grill or replaced the grill entirely. I guess to each his own but this car is 90% Mustang 10% Shelby and I guess I'm just a bit disappointed. :(

I was kind of thinking we might see something like this.... ;)

If we do I think I'll replace it with the V6 Pony like the GTH. That means nothing to me...it's stylized 90's looking logo that to most people won't mean a thing. Blah...I'm sure it will sell though! :(

I like your cap. It gets rid of the FORD lettering. However, it is still a fake gas cap. I would prefer a simple medallion

Robin, can you tell me why you want to "get rid of the Ford" lettering? I'm really trying to understand what I see as an anti-Ford, anti-Mustang, sentiment here. I'm really surprised I guess. To me the car is a special "Mustang" not a "Shelby" in the way and AC Cobra was etc., and while maybe I can't put it into words, this all just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't know... :unsure:

I am not anti-Ford or anti-Mustang. My personal Shelby experience is with the '87 GLH-S and '89 CSX. Though based on a Dodge body, there was no Dodge badging on those cars. The only identification was Shelby. Of course those cars were more "pure" as Shelby issued MSO and performed safety and emissions testings.

So I am being a purist by wanting Ford id's removed. You wouldn't expect a Ford badge on a Mercury Cougar. Same should apply to a Shelby.

robin

I am not anti-Ford or anti-Mustang. My personal Shelby experience is with the '87 GLH-S and '89 CSX. Though based on a Dodge body, there was no Dodge badging on those cars. The only identification was Shelby. Of course those cars were more "pure" as Shelby issued MSO and performed safety and emissions testings.

So I am being a purist by wanting Ford id's removed. You wouldn't expect a Ford badge on a Mercury Cougar. Same should apply to a Shelby.

robin

Hummmm ... <_< I guess. I'm still on the fence I guess. Oh well...all that matters is that everyone has the car they want the way they want it. Anyone give any thought to putting the 79-81 cobra hood decal on?

:D :D

Edit: Removed redundant "I guess". I guess that's a good thing? :blink:

For those wanting to get rid of the Ford lolo on the faux gas cap

Shelby Performance Parts catalog SKU# 100436

Trunk lock trim.

I'll wait for the NEW faux gas cap coming out this week, The billet cap is just way to bulky. Good for some but not for the real ones who wants the best. B)

As a member of the "No Cobra Brigade" this wouldn't do... ;)

Matt,

I don't mean to stir anything up here but why so anti cobra? I know our cars are not "Cobras" but neither were the original Shelby Mustangs. The cobra was Shelby's logo and still is. When someone sees the cobra head logo they automatically think of Shelby. The coiled, or Tiffany cobra is what is identified with the Mustang Cobras.

Just curious about your opinion.

Probably too late to the party, but here's my idea. A 1966 GT 350 theme.
Very nice and complements the Cobra style hood scoop. I can even live with the FORD letters on this concept. Still, I do not like a fake gas cap, would prefer just the medallian.

robin

Matt,

I don't mean to stir anything up here but why so anti cobra? I know our cars are not "Cobras" but neither were the original Shelby Mustangs. The cobra was Shelby's logo and still is. When someone sees the cobra head logo they automatically think of Shelby. The coiled, or Tiffany cobra is what is identified with the Mustang Cobras.

Just a thought,

I thinks its because in this day and age, the Cobra has become a symble of "Brute Power"

The Gt500 has the snake on it and has "Brute Power" It's like being stereo typed because you dont have that kind of power? Feels like a "Level" of car. In the 60's people looked at it diferently, where as now if you put a snake on it, you better have the power to back it up or your just a wannabe, Maybe thats it?

What does everybody else think?

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads here! :)

Matt,

MattC, why the total dislike of the Cobra? As I see it every Shelby Mustang that ever existed has been associated with the saying "That guy has a Shelby Cobra" and they were refering to his exclusive Shelby Mustang. It has always been this way and it will always be that way. I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's and every one has always talked about the Shelby Cobra Mustangs built by the Carroll Shelby company not just a Shelby Mustang but a Shelby Cobra Mustang. I have never heard anyone so anti cobra especially when he/she owns a Shelby Mustang??? Sorry Matt but I just don't get why you hate the Cobra insignia with a passion, were you bit by one? :lol::lol:

A couple of comments. First, as to the Cobra thing, there are certain Mustangs which have been named Cobra by the Ford factory and by Shelby. Those Cobras are, in fact, Cobras. No other Mustangs are Cobras. One can call them that if they want, but they are not. It's sort of like when some guys call all power saws "skilsaws" even though most are not.

As for the rear faux fuel cap, as it comes from the factory, w/ the Shelby name above it and the GT on the cap = Shelby GT. If you change the cap it will no longer say Shelby GT on the rear of the car...just a thought...

A couple of comments. First, as to the Cobra thing, there are certain Mustangs which have been named Cobra by the Ford factory and by Shelby. Those Cobras are, in fact, Cobras. No other Mustangs are Cobras. One can call them that if they want, but they are not. It's sort of like when some guys call all power saws "skilsaws" even though most are not.

EXACTLY!!!! :D

The fact I think it's silly that they EVER called Mustangs "Cobras" is beside the point...but I still think it was some desperate marketing gimmick to somehow relate the Mustang to the real Ford Cobra but that's a topic for another thread.

MattC, why the total dislike of the Cobra? As I see it every Shelby Mustang that ever existed has been associated with the saying "That guy has a Shelby Cobra" and they were refering to his exclusive Shelby Mustang. It has always been this way and it will always be that way. I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's and every one has always talked about the Shelby Cobra Mustangs built by the Carroll Shelby company not just a Shelby Mustang but a Shelby Cobra Mustang. I have never heard anyone so anti cobra especially when he/she owns a Shelby Mustang??? Sorry Matt but I just don't get why you hate the Cobra insignia with a passion, were you bit by one? :lol::lol:

As a matter of fact... :P

Ok, I owned one of those Mustang Cobras many years ago. Loved the car BUT I never understood the conflicting dual branding. I think it was a bad decision back then and even worse now. One is a horse the other a snake. They have no relationship to each other in any way. It's a mixed metaphor that serves only one purpose and that is to relate the performance of a particular Mustang to the old Ford Cobras of the 60s. I am cool with GT, GT 350, GT500, GT500KR, but no much with the "Super Snake" stuff. I mean seriously what's the connection between a Mustang horse and a snake? Anyone? Please, I mean I do love the names, Cobra and Super Snake, but I just for some reason can't make the connection mentally and because of that I just cringe when I see it. Especially when I see it where it totally doesn't belong which I believe is on this car. IMHO!!!

Please understand I am not saying you can't put this stuff on your car, I'm not even saying it won't look cool, I'm only suggesting that this car IS unique! There has never been a "Shelby GT" this is IT! I am proud of this car as it is and don't need to throw pictures of snakes on it and take off references to Ford or the Mustang. For me this is about the fact that REALLY think the "GT" gas cap is ugly!

I am happy I have a Shelby GT because this car, unlike all the others called Cobra or have snakes on them, ours was actually put together at SAI, and I just as soon not be associated with the emblem posers to tell you the truth. ;)

Out of breath...

Ok, I owned one of those Mustang Cobras many years ago. Loved the car BUT I never understood the conflicting dual branding. I think it was a bad decision back then and even worse now. One is a horse the other a snake. They have no relationship to each other in any way. It's a mixed metaphor that serves only one purpose and that is to relate the performance of a particular Mustang to the old Ford Cobras of the 60s. I am cool with GT, GT 350, GT500, GT500KR, but no much with the "Super Snake" stuff. I mean seriously what's the connection between a Mustang horse and a snake? Anyone? Please, I mean I do love the names, Cobra and Super Snake, but I just for some reason can't make the connection mentally and because of that I just cringe when I see it. Especially when I see it where it totally doesn't belong which I believe is on this car. IMHO!!!

Please understand I am not saying you can't put this stuff on your car, I'm not even saying it won't look cool, I'm only suggesting that this car IS unique! There has never been a "Shelby GT" this is IT! I am proud of this car as it is and don't need to throw pictures of snakes on it and take off references to Ford or the Mustang. For me this is about the fact that REALLY think the "GT" gas cap is ugly!

I am happy I have a Shelby GT because this car, unlike all the others called Cobra or have snakes on them, ours was actually put together at SAI, and I just as soon not be associated with the emblem posers to tell you the truth. ;)

Out of breath...

How is Mia doing these days anyways? I thought about you tonight..was at this home shopping store and there was a name plate for a girls room - MIA !! I almost bought it and mailed it to you to hang in the garage LOL.

How is Mia doing these days anyways? I thought about you tonight..was at this home shopping store and there was a name plate for a girls room - MIA !! I almost bought it and mailed it to you to hang in the garage LOL.

LOL...she's doing great and of course I have to explain the story of the name every time I use it. She has 730 miles on her and is safe sleeping in the garage now. When are you coming out to Chicago for your ride?!?!

That would have been funny...I'm waiting on word from DMV if my plate is good. I'll wait to post if I get it.

;)

Out of breath...

Ok, now I understand your rational thinking here. Really, I am very Ok with it as well. Now I might even take my Cobra wheel caps off my car and put the Shelby GT caps on! Obviously a joke!!! :lol::lol: :P

Out of breath...

Interesting discussion...

Okay, here is a quick little history lesson on the naming and branding of "The Legend's" cars. I would love to take credit as if I had all of this in my head but, as you know, lately I have been pouring through the Shelby American magazines from the SAAC (Matt's favorite club). As I would read them, I quickly realized that some of the stories are also already in the 1997 Shelby American World Registry from the SAAC, which I already have owned for years, so I have finally started reading that like it's a Bible. So I guess it is now my personal Bible.

Anyway, we all know how "The Legend" came up with the name "Cobra." (I'm sorry; I don't mean any disrespect at all to Mr. Carroll Shelby. Instead, I want to promulgate continuously who he really is so I will keep calling him "The Legend.") Well, the story goes that he used to sleep with a pen and paper (as many of us have in our lives) by his bed. One day, he woke up and found "Cobra" on the paper and didn't recall that he wrote it. This was shortly after the first car was first shown to the press with "Shelby" on the nose and rear deck lid. Before thinking of "Cobra," The Legend didn't want any badging on the car. Ford didn't want any badging either because they were unsure of the car so they only supplied the "Powered by Ford" badges (like we have today on our SGT's – hmmm). AC wanted their name all over it but The Legend didn't want AC Cars on the car anywhere (but he also didn't want to ruffle any feathers with them either). Anyway, once The Legend came up with Cobra and word got to AC Cars, they took the liberty to make some "Shelby AC Cobra" badges. The Legend didn't like those so he had a local shop make some up. These were the very first Cobra with the snake in a circle (called the "flat headed snake"). "The first time Pete Brock saw them, he went ballistic" because he didn't think it was worthy of the car. After a 2-hour shouting match with The Legend, Pete won and The Legend asked him to redesign it and that is the Cobra emblem we all see frequently today. All of my quotes and paraphrasing are from page 34 and 35 of the Registry.

Now let's jump to the Mustangs – pages 356+

As familiar as we are with The Legend waking up to finding Cobra on his paper, I think we are all also familiar with how the GT350 came to be. I have posted it before on this forum but here is the refresher. The Legend and his team were trying to come up with the name. This one is for you Matt – "Mustang Cobra," "Cobra Mustang Grand Sport," "Mustang G.T." and even "Skunk" were all proposed, among others. Finally The Legend turned to Phil Remington and asked him what the distance was between the production shop and the race shop. Phil said "about 350 feet" so The Legend said "that's what we'll call it, the 'G.T. 350.'" The Legend was quoted as saying "If it's a good car, the name won't matter. And if it's a bad car, the name won't save it."

Rereading this now makes me laugh. I first read this a couple years ago and initially thought that the distance The Legend asked for was the length of the front of the building at the time. It's funny also because when I first came on this forum back in February, one of my first posts was that I was questioning the Shelby GT name. I questioned why wasn't the SGT named something like a Shelby GT450? I had been to SAI January 2006, long before I knew that the SGT was on the table. In my post on the forum in February, I thought the Las Vegas front building length was somewhere around 450 feet. No one picked up on that. It's probably because I was asking about the wrong distance when I should have asked for the length from the SAI production to the Mod Shop. So, SAI, please name your next net-new Shelby Mustang creation the GT450 (or what ever the distance is from your production entrance to the mod shop entrance). I digress.

The Registry continues with how Ken Miles was tasked with "creating a race car out of a Mustang" by using as many existing parts as possible. Brock was tasked with "creating an identity for the new car which would render it instantly recognizable and distinct," yet still identifiable as a Mustang. Chuck Cantwell was brought on as the Project Engineer. Brock laid out the LeMans stripes based from the Ford GT. Miles and Cantwell were specifying the existing Ford materials. The first (of 3) prototype SFM5S003 was the street model (the other 2 were the racing models). This prototype was the one used for most of the early press pictures. It had a Cobra hood badge on the steering wheel. In fact, the first 100 production GT350's had the 16" steering wheel from the Cobra. But then, they went with a 15" wheel because of complaints that the 16" hit owner's thighs. Anyway, they continued to use other Cobra parts such as "Cobra Powered by Ford" valve covers, an aluminum "Cobra" oil sump, an aluminum "Cobra" hi-rise intake manifold, and there were even a few "Cobra" vented battery caps.

So, to tie it all together, The Legend came up with the Snake in a dream and applied it to his newly formed vehicle. Later, his team used parts from that car and Ford's parts catalog and added them to his Shelby Mustang. That's how we have a snake and a horse. And, Matt, like you, 45-46 years ago, Peter Brock struggled with combining a horse and a snake. His issue was that he almost had to consider designing a "Cobra-Mustang" emblem but he got out of it with the GT350 nomenclature.

If anyone wants to read more about this, buy the book! Just kidding, I will try to scan these few pages if requested.

It is amazing; in doing this exercise, I really came to realize how history is repeating itself. For example:

1) Some on this forum have complained that their knees are hitting the lower dash. As mentioned, in 1965, they complained that the 16" "Cobra" steering wheels on the GT350s were hitting owner's thighs.

2) Ford wasn't sure of the success of the car so they allowed a Powered by Ford badge on the front fenders

3) We are having the snake versus horse debate

4) Designers were tasked with using Ford or Ford Racing Parts

5) We have had the wheel center cap change requests

6) Running changes are the norm as opposed to retrofitting once a design change occurs

7) And, of course, all of the other obvious design cues such as sequential tail lights, scoops, suspensions, brakes…

Ok, now I understand your rational thinking here. Really, I am very Ok with it as well. Now I might even take my Cobra wheel caps off my car and put the Shelby GT caps on! Obviously a joke!!! :lol::lol: :P

<bleep>...I thought I had converted you! :D

Very interesting Adam. Thanks for taking the time to write all that !

Matt....we are flying up on June 28th ! Your plate is going to be Mama Mia right??? :D :P

LOL...well..you're partially right! ;)

Archived