TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford's New Bullitt

goesfast

Hello Folks:

I know that this may not be the place to post it, and some of you probably know this, but Ford has leaked some info on the new 2008 Bullitt. It sounds very similar to the Shelby GT: 312hp from a Ford CAI unit(using the 3valve 4.6L), special shifter, 3.73:1 rear gear, some shock tweaking, a special steering adjustment for better feel, X-pipe, unique ext. badging, some interior touches and the like. Of course available in Highland Green and Black for the non-purists. A total of 7700 units to be stamped out.

It sure sounds like a mirror car to the Shelby GT, except of course it's not a Shelby!

I love my Shelby. The Bullit is nice but it does not even come close to looking like the fantastic Shelby. I think the Bullit will MSRP @ 34K well optioned and $36.5K loaded incl NAV. I'd still rather have my Shelby @ $40,311K (five hundred under MSRP)

My 2 cents

LOL, FINALLY a brave man!

I think I still paid the highest...

And after seeing all the headache of waiting and ordering and so on, I'd do it all over again!

Break it out, what did you pay? It is no shame what ever it was because the payback of having a Shelby GT is 100% worth it. B)

The Bullitt is based on the 1968 movie staring Steve McQueen. It instilled a lot of passion into the Mustang as it was the first "real" high speed chase using very little (if any) special effects other than some staged props. I urge you to watch it if you haven't, and remember, it was made in 1968. Quite entertaining really.

As far as collectability goes, that's difficult to explain as it ultimately comes down to an individual's passion for the car. It actually has a pretty big following, and believe it or not, is much more recognizeable than any other Mustang that Ford has made (and that includes all Shelbys), because of the movie giving it instant popularity.

To me, the 2007 Shelby GT is a better equipped car that is very appealling versus the Bullitt. But I'm sure Ford will sell each and every one they intend to produce because they know how people feel about the car. I feel Ford pretty much copied what Shelby did with the GT and put some of that into the Bullitt and Ford will market this car better than they did with the Shelby GT (but not by much), so customers will be more aware of what it is. But the Shelby GT is still more "unique"!

Ford already has a Steve McQueen Mustang commercial thats about a year old,

Steve is driving a new mustang thru a corn field with a perfectly black topped road thru it

......."build it & they will come"

So Ford has already spent more money on Marketing the Bullitt than the SGT & its not even out yet.

Has anyone seen it?

Yeah, I saw it...it was pretty cool and was made to sell the new Mustang in general. I'm sure now they wish they had held off...of course they could redo it.

Ford already has a Steve McQueen Mustang commercial thats about a year old,

Steve is driving a new mustang thru a corn field with a perfectly black topped road thru it

......."build it & they will come"

So Ford has already spent more money on Marketing the Bullitt than the SGT & its not even out yet.

Has anyone seen it?

Yes, that commercial was made to launch the 2005 redesigned Mustang GT. It was actually made in a cornfield in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. They used a Steve McQueen "double" to do some of the parts.

Love the movie, thought the commercial was pretty cool too.

True confessions time: I've got the "Bullit" DVD sitting here on my desk. Whenever I need a little mental break, I pop it in the laptop and watch the car chase. How sick is that? :lol: (By the way, there were two Mustangs used in the movie, one built for the jump scenes and another for the high speed driving. The jump car went to the crusher, the other one is unrestored and sitting in a guy's collection back on the East Coast somewhere I believe. I found the story on another Mustange site, Mustangspecs.com, under the Movie cars tab) Okay, I've got to get a life :o

Anyone else think it's funny that the more they use the FR Power Pack the HP gets lower? GTH = 325, SGT = 319 and now the Billitt = 312. Kinda wacky....guess it's not easy being green.

I think this is due to 2 things. One, the way HP is rated from time to time and two, It doesn't appear that the Bullit will receive the same exhaust revisions that the SGT has, so maybe that is why it is 7 hp lower. What I would like to know is an easy way to acheive 6 hp more so I can be at an even 325.

I think this is due to 2 things. One, the way HP is rated from time to time and two, It doesn't appear that the Bullit will receive the same exhaust revisions that the SGT has, so maybe that is why it is 7 hp lower. What I would like to know is an easy way to acheive 6 hp more so I can be at an even 325.

Good point and good question!

Love the movie, thought the commercial was pretty cool too.

True confessions time: I've got the "Bullit" DVD sitting here on my desk. Whenever I need a little mental break, I pop it in the laptop and watch the car chase.

Going to have to get on Blockbuster.com and get it sent to me.....

I've never seen it.

Archived