TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GPS/Navigation vs. Atlas

Christie is wanting to get a GPS/Navigation unit and I found this one over at Heartland America for $300. For you guys who have them, are they worth it?

I'm new to these things...

87547.jpg

i bought my wife a NUVI, but i paid 700.00 for it about 6 months ago. the handheld ones are great. we went to vegas and used it on the plane, which was cool. you could tell what were you are at. then we used it in vegas to find places to eat and stuff. you really will enjoy having one.

michael

OK I have factory NAV and I love the way it looks, especially at night. It really sets the car apart from the ole Shaker 1000 and the chicks like it. (like I have chicks in my car my wife would kill me). But is it worth it, I'd say NO but it is cool to look at!

Christie is wanting to get a GPS/Navigation unit and I found this one over at Heartland America for $300. For you guys who have them, are they worth it?

I'm new to these things...

87547.jpg

I have had a Garmin Street Pilot for about three years and it is one of the best things I have ever purchased. I do a lot of driving for my job and it never gets me lost. I have used it on vacation in areas I have never been in and in situations like this they are worth their weight in gold. Buy one you will be glad you did. Check out some reviews on line. Garmin always gets good reviews. I know someone with one of the new Garmin Numvis and it is much smaller than mine and also blue tooth capable so it will work with blue tooth enabled cell phones.

I highly recommend Nav anytime, anywhere and anyhow.

I always hear stories about how people can't live without them once they get it. I've had 2 cars now with it and it is priceless.

Think of this: Atlas and potential accident trying to read the streets or Nav tells you where to go and how to get there, safely. I think that should sell you.

I also have had TomTom for my PocketPC for a few years now and it works pretty awesome for such a small devise.

It's worth it, go for it. I would have ordered it for my SGT but, as mentioned, I already have the TomTom.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my GPS. Is it worth it for a factory unit? Probably not. But the handheld units are great. I have had one with a PDA for 2 1/2 yrs and just recently bought a NUVI350 for less than $400. I like the fact that the NUVI350 speaks the street names. I take mine everywhere. It is great when you rent a car out of town and I move it between my cars. There are plenty of websites where you can compare models and features. I highly recommend buying one if the price is right.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my GPS. Is it worth it for a factory unit? Probably not. But the handheld units are great. I have had one with a PDA for 2 1/2 yrs and just recently bought a NUVI350 for less than $400. I like the fact that the NUVI350 speaks the street names. I take mine everywhere. It is great when you rent a car out of town and I move it between my cars. There are plenty of websites where you can compare models and features. I highly recommend buying one if the price is right.

I was going to have the factory unit installed but I was told if it wasn't ordered from the factory during the time of build, it could not be retro-fitted. That is why I'm looking at after-market units.

I was going to have the factory unit installed but I was told if it wasn't ordered from the factory during the time of build, it could not be retro-fitted. That is why I'm looking at after-market units.

I think as long as you don't have the Shaker 1000 you can do a retro with the nav system. I found one on ebay and from the way it sounds the swap shouldn't be too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...sspagenameZWDVW

I think as long as you don't have the Shaker 1000 you can do a retro with the nav system. I found one on ebay and from the way it sounds the swap shouldn't be too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...sspagenameZWDVW

I was at the Shelby plant last week because I'm having my 08 GT500 upgraded to the 725+ SS . I met with John and I asked the same question about the Nav. One remark he said that I liked was, "You want to get lost in this car". I'm looking 30 years down the road and a stereo will still be there but will GPS? I just place my order Tues for my 08 GT500 and I chose the Shaker 1000, but I also have a hand held Gramin GPS.

I was at the Shelby plant last week because I'm having my 08 GT500 upgraded to the 725+ SS . I met with John and I asked the same question about the Nav. One remark he said that I liked was, "You want to get lost in this car". I'm looking 30 years down the road and a stereo will still be there but will GPS? I just place my order Tues for my 08 GT500 and I chose the Shaker 1000, but I also have a hand held Gramin GPS.

GPS is a world wide product so I think it will be a long time before something takes its place. It has already been tried by US Wireless, a very smart person invented it for the Isralies to track in coming bombs from the Palestinians with a "Radio Camera" but it was too expensive and not accurate enough. It just got you within 500 yards of the in coming bomb. That was the closet thing i have ever heard of. So when you get lost and need gas the GPS will be able to find your way out of where ever your at!

Congrat's on the 725HP SS, what a trophy to have and to hold till death do you part. What does it cost to upgrade the GT500 to the 725HP SS?

I was at the Shelby plant last week because I'm having my 08 GT500 upgraded to the 725+ SS

Quit bragging!

You suck.....

Just kidding :D

That has to be the ultimate coolest thing!

I am hoping so hard that my wifes bosslady gets one next year. I will never be able to own one unless I slip in some pee pee at Costco (any King of the Hill fans here?) but I would love to just get to see one and drool all over it.

I'm curious about cost as well? Arm? Leg? Both Kidneys??

Archived