TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headers Anyone?

riharely

Anyone add headers yet? I had an interesting discussion with a Mustang owner that had a '05 GT with x pipe and borla cat backs. He also had a CAI, hotter tune and otherre wise stock 4.6 motor.

He didn't like the sound of the exhaust ( with the borlas and xpipe) because it was a lttle too loud, high pitched but decided he wanted to add headers anyway. He figured that once he added the headers it would be even louder. He used the BBK headers. Except the opposite happened and the headers actually quieted down the sound and lowered the tone to a more pleasing sound. :blink: He started the car for me and it sounded good it seemed to be no louder than my SGT.

Anyone add headers yet ? which brand? Are they louder, softer , did it change the wonderful sound from our SGT's? I'd like to add headers in the future, but worry about ruining the muscle sound that we get from the SGTs.

....correct, long tube headers do not meet emision standards.

I am going to have JBA shorty headers installed sometime in mid June. There factory shop is in San Diego and they have a dyno for any tune if needed. Plus a nice drive there and back.

Did he install the shorties? How did he say they affected the car other than the exhaust tone?

Yes he installed the BBK shorties. He didn't say about dyno #'s before and after but with the mods I mentioned he runs 12.8's at the track. very respectable.

The issue was that I , too, expected that the headers would be louder but it didn't turn out that way. Guess noone has checked in yet that has the header mod...

I would expect about 15-20 hp if you can believe most of the ads you see.

I have thought about headers but I don't know if I want to go that route or not. I put some equal length shortys on an F-150 once, they sounded great and really helped the performance.

I have been thinking about Flowmasters though. I wonder what they would sound like and if they would effect the SAI tune. Does any one know?

....correct, long tube headers do not meet emision standards.

Who told you that? The headers are not the "breaking point" for emissions legality. It is the catalytic converters. As long as there are cats in the exhaust tract you are ok.

On these three valve engines the shorty headers are of little use. They do not show any appreciable gains in performance. To extract any power gains from these engines you must use a long tube header. Bassani, Borla, Kook's, American Racing, and plenty of others have very good headers. For an N/A application you should stick to an 1 5/8" primary tube. Supercharged cars need an 1 3/4" primary.

OK, I stand corrected but every long tube I have looked at says off road use only.

That's what I have seen also. What issue does "off road use only" refer to, if not emissions, with respect to headers? I'm not debating, I really don't know. I'd love to add a set of headers at some point.

But...long tube headers do not meet emissions requirements, correct??

ilmor - it depends so far it looks like if you also install high flow cats and keep the O2 sensor you wont have problems with emission testing. at least for now in Maryland, but in California it is a different story. - :D gor256

Archived