TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pins Damaging Hoods?

im4seven

Anybody damage their hoods yet by opening them with the clips still in? Here's a couple of suggestions. With the hood open drop the clips behind the grill for everyday driving. It'll keep the cables from rubbing on the paint at highway speeds as well.

Got this idea from the local Hertz dealer:

With the hood pin clips installed you'll notice that the pointed end of the clip sticks out past the chrome disk. If you pop the hood with the clip installed it will dent the hood just past the chrome disk. Happened to his Hertz GT. He slid a small piece of tubing (about 3/8ths of an inch) over the clip to act as a spacer so that when installed the clip pin didn't go past the edge of the chrome disk.

If you haven't already popped the hood w/ the clips in, you know you will, or someone will do it for you. The ones I have on the lot are all stored behind the grill. It seems like the first thing every customer wants to do when he sits in the car is pull the hood release!

Can't blame them, it's what I would do.

This is a good idea, and I was thinking the other day that I would start to do it after I opened my hood in the incorrect manner. The hood wasnt damaged by the round stainless gizmos got a little scratched. I hate to do it since the pins look so cool, but better safe than sorry I guess!

Anybody damage their hoods yet by opening them with the clips still in?

Yep. Actually the dealership did before I took delievery and then that snake-of-a-salesman blamed my wife for doing it when I called him the next day and pointed it out. I took delivery at 9pm so I missed the hood pin damage.

Bud fixed me up with new plates but, I'm going to take mine off all together and install locking hood pins that do not have clips but use a key.

I too have damage on my hood due to the hood pins rubbing on my hood. Also my hood pins have failed and no longer hold spring. This has been brough up before but I never noticed a resolving issue, what do i do now that my hood pins are sprung. My dealer tried to order the pins and said he could not do it because he did not have them in his Ford parts data base? What should Shelby do now about both of these issues is the final question here. :blink:

I too have damage on my hood due to the hood pins rubbing on my hood. Also my hood pins have failed and no longer hold spring. This has been brough up before but I never noticed a resolving issue, what do i do now that my hood pins are sprung. My dealer tried to order the pins and said he could not do it because he did not have them in his Ford parts data base? What should Shelby do now about both of these issues is the final question here. :blink:

Email me your addy and I'll send you out 2 new rings. I believe they have a little bit more tension and should not fail.

Budm@shelbyautos.com

Bud

Email me your addy and I'll send you out 2 new rings. I believe they have a little bit more tension and should not fail.

Budm@shelbyautos.com

Bud

Bud is there a problem with these hood pins? When I pick my SGT up last tue. both ring place were damaged and the passerger side ring clip dosen't say on the pin. the order me a new set, but I have not heard from them yet. I aslo was at a car show this weekend, a dealer had Ther shelby gt out for display, those rings had the same propblem as mine?

Thanks

Fg

Bud is there a problem with these hood pins? When I pick my SGT up last tue. both ring place were damaged and the passerger side ring clip dosen't say on the pin. the order me a new set, but I have not heard from them yet. I aslo was at a car show this weekend, a dealer had Ther shelby gt out for display, those rings had the same propblem as mine?

Thanks

Fg

The torsion springs are an easy fix. I used two pairs of pliers and reshaped the ring into a smaller diameter circle and then separated the ends to about 1/2" apart. Voila, no more springs popping off. There is just not enough tension on the springs to hold them in place.

Anybody damage their hoods yet by opening them with the clips still in? Here's a couple of suggestions. With the hood open drop the clips behind the grill for everyday driving. It'll keep the cables from rubbing on the paint at highway speeds as well.

Got this idea from the local Hertz dealer:

With the hood pin clips installed you'll notice that the pointed end of the clip sticks out past the chrome disk. If you pop the hood with the clip installed it will dent the hood just past the chrome disk. Happened to his Hertz GT. He slid a small piece of tubing (about 3/8ths of an inch) over the clip to act as a spacer so that when installed the clip pin didn't go past the edge of the chrome disk.

If you haven't already popped the hood w/ the clips in, you know you will, or someone will do it for you. The ones I have on the lot are all stored behind the grill. It seems like the first thing every customer wants to do when he sits in the car is pull the hood release!

Can't blame them, it's what I would do.

Great information. My chrome disks are also scratched and dented. I found on two occasions the pins came undone and hanging in front of the hood after driving the car. I plan on touching base with Bud to see if they are looking into a solution to this problem.

Archived