TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Rattle

ilmor

I did a search and see that there have been some exhaust rattle issues but I think mine may be a little different. When I am starting out from a dead stop and letting out the clutch the exhaust is hitting something somewhere at that time if I am not perfectly smooth with the clutch (say, if the engine idles down too low and I get a little shudder). It happens in both reverse and 1st gear. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It does sound like it is happening in the rear-half of the car.

Do the Shelby people monitoring this forum have a suggestion?

Thanks!

I did a search and see that there have been some exhaust rattle issues but I think mine may be a little different. When I am starting out from a dead stop and letting out the clutch the exhaust is hitting something somewhere at that time if I am not perfectly smooth with the clutch (say, if the engine idles down too low and I get a little shudder). It happens in both reverse and 1st gear. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It does sound like it is happening in the rear-half of the car.

Do the Shelby people monitoring this forum have a suggestion?

Thanks!

I have the same problem with #687, I can feel something thru the shifter also, mostly when starting out in first gear and more when car is good and hot. I suspect it still is something transmitted through the exhaust, but not from the rear like others have found. I havn't had time to check it out yet, only have 500 miles. I was kind of waiting until I get some more miles to see if it changes. I first thought it was a clutch/throw out bearng problem, but I bet it is exhaust.

Mark Potter

Guys, it could be something as simple as a loose hanger. My suggestion is to go to a muffler shop and have them put it on the lift and take a look. Most of the time they will do it for free - especially to look under this car - and if not, move on to someone who does. Out of the two or three shops here local, I have NEVER been charged to put it on the lift and have a look.

I had the same problem with my car. #1274 Put the car on a lift and found the left side exhaust pipe was hitting the rear axle center section. We loosened clamps,pushed the pipe forward until it seated properly, tightened the clamps and that was it. No more rattle.

SGT #227 DFW,,had the same problem, tried bending hangar bracket 1st time, didn't work, took it to a local performance exhaust guy I trusted, we found that the driver side exhaust pipe was actually about a 1/2" longer which caused the 2 hangars to rattle as wheel as the pipe vibrating againest the spare tire well, we ended up pulling the pipe and and trimming end, tightened everything down, fixed the problem, what I hadn't really thought of while chasing this problem, is that since the pipe was longer it caused the exhaust tips to be uneven, the tip had more distance between body and top of tip, also stuck out farther.

Hope this make sense, point would be that it would be worth the time to take it to a quality exhaust shop get it fixed right for performance and appearance reasons.

one more thing, BE CAREFUL WHEN PULLING UP ON THE LIFT, need to use boards, the car will drag on most lifts.

Hi all!!!!!

Ford knows about this problem and I believe that have fixed it. We try to inspect them to make sure the hanger is not hitting anything. But I believe that after driving the vehicle, they may have "settled" and started to hit.The newer ones from Ford have a shorter hanger which eliminates this concern. When we inspect them, if we see the hanger (more so on the left muffler) is a bit too long, we will cut off about a half inch or so to correct any hitting concerns.

Now, we are not perfect and we try to catch everyone that may of had that type of situation, but I am sure some may have passed through. Like I said, we do test drive them, maybe a mile or less, if we do not hear any noise at that time, we will pass them through.

Another thing that I have found is that there could be a vibration/ noise heard or felt from the right catalytic converter. For one reason or another, the right cat comes close to the frame. On hard acceleration (ok, I know nobody does that :o ) or hard turns, the cat hits the side of the frame. If you are at your dealer or if you want to do this yourself, take a prybar and put it between the cat and the frame. Try to "pry" it towards the middle of the vehicle. This will give it some more space between the two.

If you need any help at all, please feel free to contact me. If I don't know the answers, I will find somebody who does. Just shoot me an email..

Budm@shelbysautos.com

Bud

Thanks all, this is really helpful. Next time I have time I'll take it by my local Ford dealer w/ a copy of this email.

Archived