TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Bra

MAP

I bought a bra from Ford, it said for the GT with no mention about the California Special so I went ahead and took the gamble.

Obviously the hood would be an issue, with the pins and all. It wasn't too bad, all I did was make two nice round holes where the hood pins were. I then made some plates or spacers to sandwich between the lanyard pins and the bra. I used two cutoff wheels that I use in my small air grinder ( they are about 3" in diameter and sort of have a carbon fiber look to them), you have to enlarge the holes in the center to fit over the hood pins, also you have to trim one side flat because the hood pins are too close to the rear edge of the bra. Also using these grinding wheels you can reduce the diameter to whatever you want. With the lanyard pins installed on top of these plates it helps hold the bra down tight on the hood. You might have to adjust the hood pins longer if there is not enough room to fasten everything down. (mine was ok).

As for the bottom part, it works good except for two areas.

1. the vertical tabs on either side of the grille won't tuck in there due to lack of room ( bottom tabs work good).

2. The turn signal lights are recessed in the CS front end, so those tabs won't tuck in either.

In both cases I just folded the tabs under and it works fine.

The fit on the bottom is tight, but seems to be better since it has been in the sun.

I drove it 250 miles this weekend with no problems or signs of the stripes getting scuffed up. I thought I would throw this out in case anyone was thinking about a bra for their car.

Mark

I think I'm going to get the invisible bra for mine. I used to be a BIG bra advocate but I really have grown to hate the way they look, and as you pointed out, if you're not careful they can cause more problems than they solve. I'd be worried about any areas that flap or run at high speeds that you may not be aware of etc., but if it's working for you you great just concerns me.

I think I'm going to get the invisible bra for mine. I used to be a BIG bra advocate but I really have grown to hate the way they look, and as you pointed out, if you're not careful they can cause more problems than they solve. I'd be worried about any areas that flap or run at high speeds that you may not be aware of etc., but if it's working for you you great just concerns me.

I have an 8mil invisible bra at the house but I have not put it on as of yet. It's more than a one person job and I'm not real sure it won't require 3.....

Tried some bras on some corvettes I had sometime ago, vowed to never use again, like Matt mentioned at higher speeds the air currents do work the bra, ever so slightly, and it always ended up scoffing the car. Tried different ones and always took them off. Saw this invisible bra advertized on a Jaguar XKR site, xtremecity on ebay store, VERY reasonable, don't know if anygood, check it out.

Tried some bras on some corvettes I had sometime ago, vowed to never use again, like Matt mentioned at higher speeds the air currents do work the bra, ever so slightly, and it always ended up scoffing the car. Tried different ones and always took them off. Saw this invisible bra advertized on a Jaguar XKR site, xtremecity on ebay store, VERY reasonable, don't know if anygood, check it out.

That's what I have. Decent quality - just clear plastic - and supposed to be precut to fit perfectly but it comes with little directions. I don't know how it compares to other clear bras as I have never messed with them before.

I thought about the clear ones, but the expense kind of put me off, also not sure what it would look like on top of the stripes. The stripes are not all that glossy and putting the clear material on them might be like adding a clear coat and make them too shiny. I will keep a close eye on mine and at the first sign of any problems its done.

I thought about the clear ones, but the expense kind of put me off, also not sure what it would look like on top of the stripes. The stripes are not all that glossy and putting the clear material on them might be like adding a clear coat and make them too shiny. I will keep a close eye on mine and at the first sign of any problems its done.

The installers I've talked to recommend cutting around the stripes.

-Matt

Archived