TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OIL

I run Mobil 1 in my 65 Mustang and will be converting my 68 Shelby over to Mobil 1 but my mechanic wants the motors broken in first. They were fresh speed shop rebuilds. I'm not sure how soon you want to change over a new 2007 Shelby Gt though. I would like to know how soon it is safe to switch over to synthetic also. I felt like my 65 Mustang picked up a little power w/ the synthetic oil(could be my imagination) but I haven't got my 07 yet and I don't even know what viscosity the owners manual even calls for. Rick

Thoughts on using Mobil 1? They have just come out with 5W20. I use Mobil 1 in my Viper, Prowler, and Shelby Charger. The Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend.

I just had the oil changed this morning. I went with the straight synthetic from the Ford dealer. It is a 5w20 Motorcraft full synthetic.

I'm hoping the car runs a little cooler and little stronger, but time will tell.

Gary

gaokley1,

How many miles did you have on your original oil before switching to the Motorcraft full synthetic?

Thank you,

Randall

Randall,

I have followed the "recommended" service plan in the manual. I have approximately 5300 miles on the car and have had it since Feb. 1st. The manual says every 5000 miles...

Hope this helps,

Gary

Forgive my simple question. Is there anything special to do when converting to a full synthetic? Is it just an oil and filter change or is there more to do?

Thank You

Yes, its as simple as changing the oil and filter. I have found if you do it to an engine that has a lot of miles on it, you'll start to develop leaks that you didn't have before the change to synthetic. Because it just doesn't stick to everything like regular oil does...

Gary

Just as a note: You may have to instruct your dealer to use the FRPP oil filter which is installed at SAI. My dealer is now going to carry them in stock as they had no clue. SAI is recommending them, so that's all I am going to use personally. The part numbers are in your Shelby materials that were enclosed with your OEM manual.

Hope this helps someone that may not have known.

• 1 month later...

Just as a note: You may have to instruct your dealer to use the FRPP oil filter which is installed at SAI. My dealer is now going to carry them in stock as they had no clue. SAI is recommending them, so that's all I am going to use personally. The part numbers are in your Shelby materials that were enclosed with your OEM manual.

Hope this helps someone that may not have known.

do you know any good online sellers that carry them? mossmustang.com sells them but they charge you twice for the shipping, its a rip off.

I'm to understand that the Oil Filter the dealers use is the same one from FRPP. I had them re-check about a dozen times and I talked to different dealers, too... :blink: There are a couple of different part numbers, but they cross reference to the "stock" oil filter used on all Mustangs.

Gary

I'm going with Amsoil 0W20 in mine. I put their 5W20 in my truck last year and have been very pleased with the results. If you use their filters the change interval becomes 1 year or 25,000 miles.

I know this is not what Ford reccomends but with Amsoil if you have any engine troubles resulting from their oil, they will replace it for you.

I'm thinking of putting 10w30 mobil 1 syn on mine at 3k miles. Will that be a good idea?

I have used Mobil 1 exclusively in all my vehicles since 1993 and have never had a problem. It is an excellent oil and I wouldn't be switching now if it wasn't for my brother being an Amsoil dealer.

Mobil 1 will do your car just fine but be sure to use the Mobil 1 filter along with the oil and use the proper weight. Our cars call for a 20 weight not a 30 weight.

Also I would go ahead and swap the oil at 1500 miles and then again at 3000. After that every 5000 to 7000 miles should be ok.

I have used Mobil 1 exclusively in all my vehicles since 1993 and have never had a problem. It is an excellent oil and I wouldn't be switching now if it wasn't for my brother being an Amsoil dealer.

Mobil 1 will do your car just fine but be sure to use the Mobil 1 filter along with the oil and use the proper weight. Our cars call for a 20 weight not a 30 weight.

Also I would go ahead and swap the oil at 1500 miles and then again at 3000. After that every 5000 to 7000 miles should be ok.

actually I'm going to use Ford Racing oil filters, i already ordered them from mossmustang.com, I think I might just go with 5w30 mobil 1. Well my car is near 3k miles, I might as well wait for 3k. I didn't do the oil change at 1k because the manual didn't state it. I know I should have anyways..

actually I'm going to use Ford Racing oil filters, i already ordered them from mossmustang.com, I think I might just go with 5w30 mobil 1. Well my car is near 3k miles, I might as well wait for 3k. I didn't do the oil change at 1k because the manual didn't state it. I know I should have anyways..

The Ford racing filters should be ok, but if I were you I would stick with the recommended oil weight. As long as you use the correct weight Ford cannot void your warranty. As soon as you switch to 30 weight they will not honor mechanical engine failure.

Archived