TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some products NOT to use

stump_breaker

OK, I used two products today I want to warn everyone about. Saturday morn I was waxing the top of the car and a small piece of trash fell from the ceiling of the barn onto the polish as it was drying. Not catching it I went to buff off the dried polish and lo and behold, I now have circular marks on the roof of the car. I went today and bought Turtle Wax buffing compound to help remove the scratches. It did not work but it in fact exaggerated the scratches and caused a haze on the car like it was buffed with 500 grit sandpaper. $3 gone. Strike one.

Then I bought a product called RainX Ultra Wax for ultra water repelling performance or some crap like that. Hey I thought, it's RainX. All their other products are great.

RainX SUCKS when it comes to wax. It would not wipe off the car and left a cloudy oil sheen. I had to soak the car with Windex so I could cut the oil residue and get it off. From there I had to recoat with step 1 of the PolyGlycoat so a quick wax job took 5 minutes to apply and then 2 hours to take it off and then reapply the old stuff. $7 gone. Strike two.

NO strike three yet. :D

So now we come to the shifter. I have never understood why the car is black, gray and silver on the inside with this one, does-not-match-anything white ball on the shifter. At Autozone they had a polished aluminum Hurst T-handle that goes on the shifter and it perfectly matches the car plus it give that retro look to the stick and it feels great in your hand when you're shifting. I took pics wth my phone but they did not turn out. Anyway, it was WELL worth the $20 on the handle and it really finished out the inside of the car, plus it has HURST engraved across the top.

OK, I used two products today I want to warn everyone about. Saturday morn I was waxing the top of the car and a small piece of trash fell from the ceiling of the barn onto the polish as it was drying. Not catching it I went to buff off the dried polish and lo and behold, I now have circular marks on the roof of the car. I went today and bought Turtle Wax buffing compound to help remove the scratches. It did not work but it in fact exaggerated the scratches and caused a haze on the car like it was buffed with 500 grit sandpaper. $3 gone. Strike one.

Then I bought a product called RainX Ultra Wax for ultra water repelling performance or some crap like that. Hey I thought, it's RainX. All their other products are great.

RainX SUCKS when it comes to wax. It would not wipe off the car and left a cloudy oil sheen. I had to soak the car with Windex so I could cut the oil residue and get it off. From there I had to recoat with step 1 of the PolyGlycoat so a quick wax job took 5 minutes to apply and then 2 hours to take it off and then reapply the old stuff. $7 gone. Strike two.

NO strike three yet. :D

So now we come to the shifter. I have never understood why the car is black, gray and silver on the inside with this one, does-not-match-anything white ball on the shifter. At Autozone they had a polished aluminum Hurst T-handle that goes on the shifter and it perfectly matches the car plus it give that retro look to the stick and it feels great in your hand when you're shifting. I took pics wth my phone but they did not turn out. Anyway, it was WELL worth the $20 on the handle and it really finished out the inside of the car, plus it has HURST engraved across the top.

I was thinking about that T handle for the car. Definitly looks like the ole 4 speed shifters with it on. I think you can also get them with a button on the side for a line lock....

Would like to see a picture of it installed.

Thanks,

I was thinking about that T handle for the car. Definitly looks like the ole 4 speed shifters with it on. I think you can also get them with a button on the side for a line lock....

Would like to see a picture of it installed.

Thanks,

I get a pic using my good camera. The only problem with the T handle is that it's designed for the stick that is slightly curved so the "HURST" logo is turned forward slightly.

Look for some stuff called "Safe Cut," it's by The Wax Shop. I used it all the time to get fine scratches out of my black F-150. I think it might fix your problem.

Look for some stuff called "Safe Cut," it's by The Wax Shop. I used it all the time to get fine scratches out of my black F-150. I think it might fix your problem.

There is a guy at work who details on the side. He is going to bring a product called Midnight Black or something like that and he says it will probably remove the scratches. If that does not work, I'll look for the product you mentioned.

Floor mats come with the car. They are the mats w/ the silver badge. John Walker @ Shelby has recommended buying the optional ones found on the website and saving the originals for shows. I'm not sure if the originals can be replaced in the future if they wear out. See attached picture. You might be able to find a better picture if you surf on Ebay long enough. Rickpost-2868-1139751280_thumb.jpg

Do floor mats not come with these cars?

As mentioned above me, they do come with the car. I have mine pulled and put up and slipped in the slush mats from my truck. My wife is wanting to get seat covers and matching mats but has not decided on what kind yet so the slush mats are still in the car. Having a though time finding seat covers she likes that do not interfere with the side impact air bags.

As mentioned above me, they do come with the car. I have mine pulled and put up and slipped in the slush mats from my truck. My wife is wanting to get seat covers and matching mats but has not decided on what kind yet so the slush mats are still in the car. Having a though time finding seat covers she likes that do not interfere with the side impact air bags.

stump breaker try seatcovers.net, just ordered some for my BMW X5, they have universal fits and customs for vehicles that have side air bags.

Jewish Santa...interested in your comment on Zaino...are you doing by hand and if so are you doing in circular motion or back and forth. Appreciate you comments. Thanx Steve

I only detail my cars by hand, my cousin used a buffer on his car and he burned the paint. I never want to make that mistake so I do it by hand. The claybar needs to be done in a back and forth motion, as for the Zaino Z-5 that can be done either way. I perfer the circular motion... I think it works better.

Gary, there are 4 interior color options:

1) Black

2) Dark Charcoal

3) Light Graphite

4) Parchment (thanks Kris for the update)

All, check out this site I found. Gives all info about the Mustang - options and everything.

http://www.stangbangers.com/07_Mustang_OrderingGuide.pdf

Interesting percentages on page 1. Didin't see the 54U code though (dated 3/2006).

There is a guy at work who details on the side. He is going to bring a product called Midnight Black or something like that and he says it will probably remove the scratches. If that does not work, I'll look for the product you mentioned.

[/quote

I like the T-Bar Shifter, it brings back the old days. The "white ball" shifter does too I just think the silver goes better but it is not stock, eh who cares it's HURSTand it looks great! Save the "white ball" shifter for Shows etc...

2007 Shelby GT Ebony w/ 5 speed, NAV.

I don't think so. Some others might feel different but with a full handful of shifter I actually feel like I'm in better control of the movement. As you can see I did turn the handle a little to fit my grip better. Of course you still have to pay attention going from second to third. I don't know why that is such a difficult gear change. Maybe it just needs to wear a little.

My wife says she has to get used to it because " it spreads her hand out instead of bunching it up" but she "thinks it will be fine".

I can say the metal gets cold or hot depending on ambient temp so that needs to be taken into consideration. Getting into a 125 degree car and grabbing a 125 degree shifter might be a little shocking or vice-versa if it's cold out.

I don't think so. Some others might feel different but with a full handful of shifter I actually feel like I'm in better control of the movement. As you can see I did turn the handle a little to fit my grip better. Of course you still have to pay attention going from second to third. I don't know why that is such a difficult gear change. Maybe it just needs to wear a little.

My wife says she has to get used to it because " it spreads her hand out instead of bunching it up" but she "thinks it will be fine".

I can say the metal gets cold or hot depending on ambient temp so that needs to be taken into consideration. Getting into a 125 degree car and grabbing a 125 degree shifter might be a little shocking or vice-versa if it's cold out.

Thanks for the info............

Hey stump, any trick to putting the t-handle shifter on? You got the brushed or satin finish, right? You can see I'm clueless on this stuff. I've got pretty big mitts too and would like something substantial to hold on to. I also got the light graphite interior on my white SGT. I really like the look now that I've seen pictures. I like the parchment on the black cars, but not the white. My humble opinion.

Thanks, Dave

Archived