TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stretched her legs today...

stump_breaker

10am, the neighbors are at church or still sleeping, my wife is at the hospital with her Dad and it's quiet so I asked my Mom if she wanted to ride in the Shelby. We hit HWY 243 going to Canton and it drops into about 2 miles of straight clean road going through some bottoms. Clear day, birds are singing, sun is shining and not a car on the road except the Shelby so I open it up for the first time.

It pulls hard to about 125. By 130 the aerodynamics of the car is matching the power output of the engine so it's slowing up a bit. Went to 5th, slowly got to 140 and shut her down. Car handled GREAT - surprisingly better than my 96 Z-28. No floating feeling and it seemd to push harder to the road the faster you went. 140 was like driving 80.

My 54 y.o Mom was squealing like a little girl. She said that was the fastest she had even been in her life and she absolutely loves that car.

I can see her trading her Saturn tomorrow.... :lol:

Fortunately I had just waxed the front this morning. You gets lots of bugs going through the bottoms and at 140 there is nothing left on the bumper but bug goo.

I was waiting for someone to really open the Shelby GT up, to hear it handles awesom is no surprise. I really do believe that the Shelby GT is the best one made yet, the car is incredibly balanced with power and handling it just brings goose bumps to your skin. I must also add that it takes big kahona's to pull it to 140mph! What can you tell me about any lagging or any float at all during the rise to 140mph? Any flaws so to speak of when rising to that high mph? What would you add to the car, if anything, when traveling at that rate of speed? And lastly what type of radar jammer or detector do you have?

I was waiting for someone to really open the Shelby GT up, to hear it handles awesom is no surprise. I really do believe that the Shelby GT is the best one made yet, the car is incredibly balanced with power and handling it just brings goose bumps to your skin. I must also add that it takes big kahona's to pull it to 140mph! What can you tell me about any lagging or any float at all during the rise to 140mph? Any flaws so to speak of when rising to that high mph? What would you add to the car, if anything, when traveling at that rate of speed? And lastly what type of radar jammer or detector do you have?

Understand that I do not condone going this fast on the street. This was just a "perfect opportunity situation" for me to try the car out. I nearly killed myself (and totally trashed a beautiful car with a balanced and bluprinted 350) about 17 years ago from going to fast on a corner in one of my Camaro's I built and it's by the grace of God I'm still here today. I take into consideration my surroundings but with that being said I try not to live my life by "what if".

The handling was fantastic but at those speeds there is really no handling involved. It was straight and true with no floating feel to the car. It's seemed to actually "hunker down" and become more responsive the faster it went. It hugs very tightly to the road. If a vehicle is built for speed and handling then going fast is not really an issue. Usually the problem lies is pushing a vehicle beyond it's limits or driver inexperience or both (I refer you back to the above "nearly killed myself" reference, guilty on both accounts). Going 140 in this car is not an issue for it as long as the nut behind the steering wheel does not come loose. ;)

It's very obvious this car needs about 100 more HP to really balance it out. It should be able to do whats posted w/o struggling and mine could not. Like I said, about 130 (I think about 130, I had more eyes on the road than the spedo) it was like hitting an air wall. Back in my Camaro days it was also a problem then as well for Mustangs to get in the "140 club" because of the aerodynamics of the car. They had to tape up the front to make it slip through the air better.

As far as radar detectors go, anything above the standard x, k and ka IMO is a waste of money so I keep a simple, cheap Radio Shack detector. All the new instant on guns will get you no mater how expensive you detector is. Fortunately out here in the sticks, more of the sheriff dept's still use the sit and wait with the radar on method.

Jammers are illegal in Texas and I would NEVER do anything illegal. :ph34r:

That was an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Now just open up this video and listen to the sound of the SGT while reading this story again.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_..._over_the_hood/

That's cool! Makes me wish I had put my ZEN in the truck and recorded my run now.....dang it.

When I first opend it up it was a Land Rover commercial. I was a little lost for a minute :lol:

....thanks for the story. I am glad to see any governing was removed.

Careful what you say about us "older" women and fast cars !!!! I am pushing 50...and just bought my Shelby GT last week ! Mid life crisis car :lol:

Tell your mom to go for it...she won't be sorry haha !

Sue

Proud owner of #545

P.S. I just love the looks I get when these young kids pull up along side me and see ME driving :P

Careful what you say about us "older" women and fast cars !!!! I am pushing 50...and just bought my Shelby GT last week ! Mid life crisis car :lol:

Tell your mom to go for it...she won't be sorry haha !

Sue

Proud owner of #545

P.S. I just love the looks I get when these young kids pull up along side me and see ME driving :P

This is my wifes car and I won't tell you her age because she visits here on occasion but lets just say, she's between summer and fall. :D

I started using valentine one about 10yrs ago..It is the only detector I will buy Period. Instant on will still get you though..But it sees farther than anything out there, and has received more awards from different mags than all others combined.

Lee

Car handled GREAT - surprisingly better than my 96 Z-28. No floating feeling and it seemd to push harder to the road the faster you went. 140 was like driving 80.

I can also attest to the feeling of the car "sticking to the road" better the faster you go. I recently had the opportunity to take my Shelby GT out on a fairly deserted stretch of highway early on a weekend morning. I didn't get a chance to run it all the way up to the 130-140 range--but I did notice that when the car got in the 85-105 area it really felt like it was "hunkering"down. And yes, "hunkering" is a technical term.

I just always thought that the rear diffuser looked really cool, but it might actually have a real affect, especially combined with the lowered suspension.

Archived