TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do I order a Shelby GT?

Baron11_merged

Forgive me for asking something so seemingly simple. How do I go about ordering a Shelby GT. So far I am really interested in this particular vehicle. What steps do you recommend?

Do I actually order a Mustang GT then check off what Shelby package and options I want? I have more questions, but I will wait till I hear from someone here. I just don't want to get to my Ford dealer and deal with someone who really doesn't know what is going on. Thanks,

Forgive me for asking something so seemingly simple. How do I go about ordering a Shelby GT. So far I am really interested in this particular vehicle. What steps do you recommend?

Do I actually order a Mustang GT then check off what Shelby package and options I want? I have more questions, but I will wait till I hear from someone here. I just don't want to get to my Ford dealer and deal with someone who really doesn't know what is going on. Thanks,

Go to a dealer and tell them you want a Shelby GT. The order code is 54U (called the Upfitters package).

Be aware that this is a controlled allocation and dealers only got a few each to order. You only have a few weeks before the order books close and worse you need to find a dealer that hasn't used an available allocation. I would say if your local dealers can't order you one you're not going to get one. Be aware that at this point there may some less than honest dealers that will tell you they can get you one, take your deposit, and then go in search of the car (off another dealers lot) or attempt to get some last minute allocation. Is it possible to ORDER a new SGT at a dealer at this point YES. But the chances slim. There are a lot on ebay, but many of these dealers are asking for premium for the car in addition to the sticker price. Rich has a nice car, as he has posted, at a good price. There are also 2-3 dealers that post in here that are on the up-n-up and they may be able to help you if there are some particular options you're looking for.

Good luck!

MattChicago has some good advice. In my case the local dealer had used his allocation for the SGT. However, my dealer found another dealer that he sometimes works with that is even further out in the boondocks than we are that did not want to use their Shelby GT allocation (no one in that area would probably purchase one if it was not a pickup). So, they worked out a deal and we ordered it through them at MSRP. The car will be delivered to the other dealer and we have to go pick it up, which is no big deal to me. So, if your local dealers have used up their allocation it might be possible to work with them to still get one. If it was me I would check out the deal offered by Rich D as well - these cars are not real easy to find.

Im in GA, i have 3 more 5spds coming. if you are interested i may still be able to make a few changes to them. i have 2 black and 1 white. they are pretty loaded except they dont have NAV. i have a covered trailor and can help with delivery. please let me know and we can work something out. i promise i dont add ADM on a SGT.

thanks

michael morris

wayne morris ford

478-987-2411

I wouldn't recommend "ordering" at this late date. Mike form Morris Ford has been very helpful as well as Jason from Tower Ford, two of the more respected dealers. They have cars in stock right NOW and are expecting addional cars. As the cars come with very few options, there is not much of a point in ordering as I learned the hardway. Also check out Rich's car, probably your best bet if you are close enough!

Thanks to all for your help. I am not in a huge hurry. If I have to wait, well then I have to wait. If I do get one though, I would want the supercharger. Many of the cars listed as being available don't indicate that they have the supercharger. I would want the car ordered or at least have the supercharger on the original order sheet. So with that being said, any white with supercharger available? I don't care about Nav, but it must be a manual.

Kind Regards,

Bryan

I wouldn't recommend "ordering" at this late date. Mike form Morris Ford has been very helpful as well as Jason from Tower Ford, two of the more respected dealers. They have cars in stock right NOW and are expecting addional cars. As the cars come with very few options, there is not much of a point in ordering as I learned the hardway. Also check out Rich's car, probably your best bet if you are close enough!

Thanks to all for your help. I am not in a huge hurry. If I have to wait, well then I have to wait. If I do get one though, I would want the supercharger. Many of the cars listed as being available don't indicate that they have the supercharger. I would want the car ordered or at least have the supercharger on the original order sheet. So with that being said, any white with supercharger available? I don't care about Nav, but it must be a manual.

Kind Regards,

Bryan

Bryan, the mod shop needed to produce the supercharged cars is not open. No estimated time to open has been given (other than the: any day now, we've heard for the past 6 weeks or so).

BTW: The new order codes for the 08 Mustang are in CONCEPS and the 54U does not come up as available. Not to say there won't be an SGT in 08 but it's not a certainty from the get-go for sure.

Baron11- In that case you might be best to contact Mike from Morris Ford, he indicated that they have (3) more cars coming and as of THIS date he may be able to tag one for you, allowing you to go thru the S/C add on proceedure. I still think you'll be without a car if any dealer leads you to believe that you can order one at this late date. I ordered a car on 1/25/07, and as of this date this order has not been accepted by Ford, and most likely never will be, so the wait would be for infinity, I don't think you have that long. Finally my dealer relented and sold me one of his allocated cars that is currently at SAI. Call Mike Morris or Jason!!! Just spoke with Jason from Tower Ford, he ALSO has (2) cars at SAI NOW that could be yours.

Bryan, I don't know if you received my response via e-mail.

I have all the history and documentation for the car.

Order the car 12/1/06 Ray Skillman Ford Greenwood, IN

Factory 12/4/06

Shelby 1/16/07

released from shelby 2/20/07

Purchased 3/1/07

Performance White 5 Speed with 300 good weather miles and always garaged.

The car has the GT Upfitters package and Shelby conversion.

I didn't order the shakker 1000 - I thought the Shakker 500 sounded great and I wanted to hear the exhaust.

I didn't orger the interior upgrade because I didn't want the shift handle or the chrome piece on the dash since the car came with the Hurst shifter and the dash plate shows better without the dash piece.

I paid 40321.05 for the car 29960 base + 7390 Shelby conversion + 1000 Gas Guzzler + sales tax, doc fees, and tire tax.

I originally planned to keep the car forever, but due to unforseen family events I'm forced to sell. I'm willing to take 37000 OBO for the car. This would save a potiental buyer 3321.05 plus a few months time.

I live in Indianapolis, In and can be reached at 317-865-0949. I can also e-mail pictures. The car is perfect!!!!!

I also have the Barrett Jackson Video and 2 magazines that featured the car

Barron11, if you bought one of the existing cars, like from RichD, Michael Morris or Jason at Tower Ford, I believe that you can still have your car modified (add the supercharger and more) at Shelby or an authorized dealer. There is a list of dealers on the Cobra site.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Ok, again, thanks for all the info. I need to do some more research.

So you order a Mustang GT and check off the upfitters package, correct?

Yet the upfitters package is not actually the Shelby package that is another 6 - 7k right? Just kind of confused. Initially I thought the upfitters package was the shelby package.

Kind regards,

Bryan

That's mostly correct. But, the Shelby addition to the 54U is $8390 which includes $1000 gas guzzlers tax.

On the Mustang GT part, you choose either the Deluxe or Premium and then all the available options they allow (auto/manual tranny, interior color black, dark grey or light grey, NAV, Shaker 1000 stereo, leather/cloth, climate control, wheel locks, security alarm, side air bags, and maybe some others) but you can't "yet" order a different color (than black or white) and a few other items that they've disallowed. Rumor is they may have a diff color if they do an 08 SGT.

Also, there is discussion about an automatic or manual transmission. IT was supposed to be that every other Shelby GT sold per dealer had to be an automatic but that seems to have not been the case. Seems many more manual cars than 50%. Be sure to verify this with your dealer.

Finally as professor MattChicago always says, be sure to check with your dealer whether they are "allocated" a or another SGT.

Go to a dealer and tell them you want a Shelby GT. The order code is 54U (called the Upfitters package).

...You only have a few weeks before the order books close and worse you need to find a dealer that hasn't used an available allocation...

... There are also 2-3 dealers that post in here that are on the up-n-up and they may be able to help you if there are some particular options you're looking for...

ok.

Heres some questions. Im hoping one of our dealers will chime in as well...

(and there have to be other dealers that lurk here, so thats why its detailed) ;)

When do the "order books" really close for an '07 SGT ?

Ive heard everything from "last week" to "this Tuesday" to "the end of the month sometime". Of course this is internet rumor and not from a dealer, but its good info for those of us that are on the fence...

Does the 54U package come with side airbags or do these need to be ordered seperately ?

Ive read it with and without...

3. (For someone at SAI)

Is the package available "hood scoop delete" ?

I dont have any real opposition to the scoop, it does make the car stand out a bit. But Ive never been one for "show" with no go behind it. A non functional scoop unfortunately falls into that catagory (I do like the cs6 hood... Wanna trade?).

I know that we have two dealers here with cars on the way to Shelby, at Shelby, and en route back to their stores but Im picky on options. It has to be a white manual. Side airbags are great. I do like the info center so IUP would be ok if it had the charcoal panel, I dont care for all that shiny stuff on the dash. No-no's are nav, shaker 1k, and sirius. These are deal breakers. Dont want them. Not interested in shipping a car, I would do museum delivery as Vegas isnt too far for me.

I have considered Rich's car but its 2000 miles away. We have emailed each other and I will consider it further if nothing else is available locally or for museum pickup at a reasonable price. If it were here in California, I would probably jump on it though...

I do have a friend that works for an auto group that includes Ford. I spoke with him this weekend and he is going to check stock and to see if they have any allocations left on Monday. Outside of that, if there are any other dealers that have an allocation for a manual, let me know and you might hear from me.

Oh, and I wont pay an ADM. :D (no, I dont ask too much) :rolleyes:

Thanks all...

kris.

I just know what I see posted on Blue Oval etc., so i will let a dealer chime in for something more as that is what you seem to be looking for. There are VERY few dealers that have an allocation and are sitting on it at this point. Not saying there isn't but you'll have to look REALLY REALLY hard. If they have an allocation then they'll at least order something on floorplan and try to sell later. Having said that, just because you find one, and get the order in BEFORE the 07' books close, doesn't mean the car will get built. If there isn't enough time or some commodity is constrained even though the dealer had allocation and the car got in under the wire, it won't be built.

Yes, the 54U package comes with the side airbags you can see that on the sticker.

There is no "hood scoop delete". If you want to delete the hood scoop you will need to order another hood, like the CS6 (I have) and SAI will install it as a modification. While I understand your "non-functional" issue, you might as well delete the side door scoops, and the front fascia, etc., just like ties on men, sure these are all non-functional but they are for looks as since when is appearance "non-functional"? Sorry...this whole anti non-functional junk really bothers me. I mean let's just make all cars plain...after all, paint is "non-fucntional"..sorry, rant!

Kris, the time to get picky about the car was back in Dec/Jan/Feb. Today you should look for a car going to, or at, SAI that you can do mods on or get museum delivery. Steer clear, if you can, of cars that have yet to be built unless your dealer is sure (even then, at this late date, I don't trust them). If you really want this car get one of those and don't, in my humble opinion, bet the farm on a new order.

IMHO!

I just know what I see posted on Blue Oval etc., so i will let a dealer chime in for something more as that is what you seem to be looking for. There are VERY few dealers that have an allocation and are sitting on it at this point. Not saying there isn't but you'll have to look REALLY REALLY hard. If they have an allocation then they'll at least order something on floorplan and try to sell later. Having said that, just because you find one, and get the order in BEFORE the 07' books close, doesn't mean the car will get built. If there isn't enough time or some commodity is constrained even though the dealer had allocation and the car got in under the wire, it won't be built.

Yes, the 54U package comes with the side airbags you can see that on the sticker.

I understand, Ive been reading the same thing.

I was detailed in my post so if there were any dealers reading that had a car that fit already built and in process, they might contact me.

I happened across a pic of a sticker with the airbags under upfitter after posting last night. Thanks.

There is no "hood scoop delete". If you want to delete the hood scoop you will need to order another hood, like the CS6 (I have) and SAI will install it as a modification. While I understand your "non-functional" issue, you might as well delete the side door scoops, and the front fascia, etc., just like ties on men, sure these are all non-functional but they are for looks as since when is appearance "non-functional"? Sorry...this whole anti non-functional junk really bothers me. I mean let's just make all cars plain...after all, paint is "non-fucntional"..sorry, rant!

Gee Matt, the doctor said you're not supposed to drink coffee after midnight ;)

ok.

On the hood scoop, like I said I have no real objection to it and the side scoops are barely noticable to me.

No one has ever said (from what Ive read) that there is no delete for the scoop. It is a personal preference issue and like you said Shelby offers the cs6 hood as an oiption for those that like it better. It doesnt hurt to ask...

On the side scoops, that is not a SAI installed piece. I wouldnt bother trying to get Ford to delete them, and have read on other forums that CS owners are having them come loose. They are only taped, so if I ended up not liking them (they dont bother me though) they could be removed with no ill effects... Unlike a scoop that is mounted with holes drilled thru the hood.

Kris, the time to get picky about the car was back in Dec/Jan/Feb. Today you should look for a car going to, or at, SAI that you can do mods on or get museum delivery. Steer clear, if you can, of cars that have yet to be built unless your dealer is sure (even then, at this late date, I don't trust them). If you really want this car get one of those and don't, in my humble opinion, bet the farm on a new order.

Well, three months ago life was a little different for me and a new car wasnt an option... Not to mention a Shelby...

Things have changed and its now an option. If we are making the decision to plunk down 40k for a car that we dont "need", Im gonna be picky. Doesnt mean Ill end up with a car that would be as I would have ordered but with as many as have been built and sitting around on dealers floors Im sure we can get close.

Like I said, never hurts to ask...

:P

kris.

Things have changed and its now an option. If we are making the decision to plunk down 40k for a car that we dont "need", Im gonna be picky. Doesnt mean Ill end up with a car that would be as I would have ordered but with as many as have been built and sitting around on dealers floors Im sure we can get close.

Like I said, never hurts to ask...

:P

kris.

IMO, if you pay 40k for a toy car it better be EXACTLY what you want and how you want it. :D

I feel the same way about the scoop which is why I am going with the CS6 hood. It's not so much the functional vs. non thing as much as it is the silly rivets! Yes, yes, I know these are hommage to something but truthfully to 99.99% of people it's a riveted scoop. But that's just me and those of you that love it I salute you! ;-)

Well, three months ago life was a little different for me and a new car wasnt an option... Not to mention a Shelby...

I'm happy for you that what ever has moved you into a position to do this has happened!

Please don't take what I said as gospel. I only wanted to you to be aware that if you truly want this car you may need to weigh your choices. I don't mean to suggest that you buy a car you don't want only that you are fully aware of the risks and don't loose a car you do want. If that makes sense. There are just a lot of dealers taking people's money and leading them on with assurances of a car.

There are a lot of cars still to be done at SAI so there are more sure to pop up on ebay as well. On the other hand a lot of dealers are selling these on ebay as soon as they order them so you really need to check every day for new listings. If a car you want does come up contact the dealer directly and offer what you want MSRP etc., some will take it right then and remove the listing. Hence why you need to check daily.

I understand not wanting a car without what you want just thought there may be degrees of want. For example I would not take a care without IUP and I want white. I also need to have the mods I want done at SAI. However while I want Nav would take a 1000 or even a 500 if the car had the rest of the things and I could do mods. BTW: if you go by what is on ebay, white is pretty rare on the open market. Most listings are black and all the cars local to me sitting on the floor are black. I saw my first SGT on the road Sunday and it was black...dirty too! It seems to me that people that wanted white ordered it while dealers with no buyers ordered Black. Just a guess!

Good luck!

IMO, if you pay 40k for a toy car it better be EXACTLY what you want and how you want it. :D

LOL...while normally I would agree but to expect that in the last weeks of a program, without a backup plan, seems unrealistic TO ME. I want this car but I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I am kicking myself in the butt for years to come because I lost out on this car because it had a Shaker 500 vs. a Shacker 1000. Again, that's me, and your mileage my vary. Of course if the car doesn't have the 1000 it's no longer a 40K car! ;)

Archived