TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Dyno Runs

CudaFly

Did my baseline Dyno pulls today so that I had a good idea of the starting point on my SGT before I begin making mods.

Both pulls were right around 280 RWHP and 300 ft/lbs of torque.

A stock 2007 Mustang GT under the same conditions should get around 265 RWHP and 290 ft/lbs of torque so the Ford racing CAI, 93 octane tune, and exhaust upgrades only yield ~15 RWHP and 10 ft/lbs of torque.

Supposedly the FRPP 93 octane tune is pretty tame because 93 octane is not available in a lot of places. With a more aggressive custom tune the SGT would probably be in the 290 RWHP range.

I'll be installing a polished Shelby-Paxton blower and some other tweaks myself as soon I can get it delivered... I plan to take a week off of work so that I’m not rushing it. After it’s installed I’ll be getting a custom tune. Hoping to get ~450 RWHP when it’s all done!

Dyno%20Run%2002%20-%20040707.jpg

Get that thing leaned out a bit and it should pick up nicely. From 3700 on up it shows the A/F ratio is below 12:1. If you could get that up to around 12.7:1 it would pull hard up to the redline.

Power looks good though. About what you can expect from a standard FRPP tune.

Yeah I agree that it's too rich at the top end. Out of curiosity I might go ahead and do a different 93 octane tune (SCT) just to see what it can really get with the "stock" SGT performance package. I'll post the plot if I have a chance to dyno that version.

Of course I'll need to re-tune anyway after I put in the Shelby-Paxton blower. The Diablo that comes with the Paxton kit has a 91 octane tune. So I'll be putting in a custom tune after the SC installation to get the most out of the $5K upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I agree that it's too rich at the top end. Out of curiosity I might go ahead and do a different 93 octane tune (SCT) just to see what it can really get with the "stock" SGT performance package. I'll post the plot if I have a chance to dyno that version.

Of course I'll need to re-tune anyway after I put in the Shelby-Paxton blower. The Diablo that comes with the Paxton kit has a 91 octane tune. So I'll be putting in a custom tune after the SC installation to get the most out of the $5K upgrade.

CudaFly - would like to know your results myself. Would have been nice if SAI had the S/C as an option. However, did ur $5K price include installation? - :D gor-256

CudaFly - would like to know your results myself. Would have been nice if SAI had the S/C as an option. However, did ur $5K price include installation? - :D gor-256

it is an option and its 1200 for install from shelby

Cudafly,

Did you finish the supercharger install? Did you get a dyno? What are the results? Inquiring mind what to know.

I have all the parts, now I just need the time. I am taking the whole week of Memorial Day weekend off so I’ll be starting the install on May 26. In the meantime I’ve been reading up and planning all of the details. I’ve already moved the high pressure fill stem for Air Conditioner system to make room for the relocated coolant reservoir. I’ve done fit checks with some of the other parts also.

In my original post I stated I was shooting for ~450 RWHP. What I really meant was ~450 HP (at the crank). Ultimately what I want is to at least match or, better yet, beat a stock GT 500's HP to Weight ratio. The Shelby Paxton SC kit adds about 75 pounds of weight to the front end weight so by my estimate that means I need to get to ~450 HP or ~400 RWHP to match up with a GT 500.

Horsepower%2001.jpg

I already have a smaller pulley and belt ready to install on the SC to get a couple more pounds of boost but I’ll start with the stock pulley and a custom tune to see what I can get first. When I do change the pulley the SC warranty will be voided but my philosophy is if you are worried about warranty then don’t modify your car.

I hope to have it all installed and the custom dyno tune complete by ~June 1. I’ll post pictures and dyno results as soon as I can…

I have all the parts, now I just need the time. I am taking the whole week of Memorial Day weekend off so I’ll be starting the install on May 26. In the meantime I’ve been reading up and planning all of the details. I’ve already moved the high pressure fill stem for Air Conditioner system to make room for the relocated coolant reservoir. I’ve done fit checks with some of the other parts also.

In my original post I stated I was shooting for ~450 RWHP. What I really meant was ~450 HP (at the crank). Ultimately what I want is to at least match or, better yet, beat a stock GT 500's HP to Weight ratio. The Shelby Paxton SC kit adds about 75 pounds of weight to the end weight so by my estimate that means I need to get to ~450 HP or ~400 RWHP to match up with a GT 500.

Horsepower.jpg

I already have a smaller pulley and belt ready to install on the SC to get a couple more pounds of boost but I’ll start with the stock pulley and a custom tune to see what I can get first. When I do change the pulley the SC warranty will be voided but my philosophy is if you are worried about warranty then don’t modify your car.

I hope to have it all installed and the custom dyno tune complete by ~June 1. I’ll post pictures and dyno results as soon as I can…

I am real interested in your findings. jonathan car 198 s/c

I am real interested in your findings. jonathan car 198 s/c

I think yourrrr a bit confused. The RWHP on a SGT, per this thread, is @ 281 hp & 300 torque to the rear wheels. I love your car as i wish i had the balls to void my warranty and put on a an whipple SC, but i don't. But reread the starting thread that started this post and you'll see the actual dyno runs from an SGT and not just a graph. B)

I think yourrrr a bit confused. The RWHP on a SGT, per this thread, is @ 281 hp & 300 torque to the rear wheels. I love your car as i wish i had the balls to void my warranty and put on a an whipple SC, but i don't. But reread the starting thread that started this post and you'll see the actual dyno runs from an SGT and not just a graph. B)

Yes you are correct; the stock SGT is ~281 RWHP, good catch.

The reason I had 264 RWHP in the table is 264 RWHP will be my starting point. This is because I will need to remove the cold air intake and the FRPP tune that was installed by SAI before I add the supercharger. So all of my performance gains will be measured from the stock Mustang GT baseline numbers and not the SGT numbers.

Yes you are correct; the stock SGT is ~281 RWHP, good catch.

The reason I had 264 RWHP in the table is 264 RWHP will be my starting point. This is because I will need to remove the cold air intake and the FRPP tune that was installed by SAI before I add the supercharger. So all of my performance gains will be measured from the stock Mustang GT baseline numbers and not the SGT numbers.

Thanks for the reply. I thought you would have a smart answer as your very in tune as to what you are doing with your car, good job. So that being said I wish you well and I look forward to all the good news about the SC going in on Labor day! Please post pictures and labor hours once you are done. Thx. B)

Swede

Then we will need someone to install and compare to the Steeda s/c! Which company's tune are you going with? Bama?

First I’ll re-flash to the stock Ford Mustang GT tune.

After the supercharger install is complete I’ll use the Diablo Predator tune that comes with the Shelby Paxton kit to get it fired up.

Then I’ll get the dyno pulls and custom tunes from VMP Tuning in Central Florida.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

Probably 3 custom tunes (race, street, highway). I’ll trade-in the Diablo Predator for an SCT tuner.

Only a couple of weeks more before the transformation from really nice Shelby GT to REALLY NICE Shelby GT!

By the way, I love the ‘stock’ Shelby GT performance as it is today. The whole supercharger thing is a life long problem I’ve had with never having enough horsepower. It probably won’t end with the supercharger, I’ll want to get some more boost, bigger injectors, longer headers, etc… Keep pushing it until I spill the bottom end all over the road and then start the circle of life all over again…

First I’ll re-flash to the stock Ford Mustang GT tune.

After the supercharger install is complete I’ll use the Diablo Predator tune that comes with the Shelby Paxton kit to get it fired up.

Then I’ll get the dyno pulls and custom tunes from VMP Tuning in Central Florida.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

Probably 3 custom tunes (race, street, highway). I’ll trade-in the Diablo Predator for an SCT tuner.

Only a couple of weeks more before the transformation from really nice Shelby GT to REALLY NICE Shelby GT!

By the way, I love the ‘stock’ Shelby GT performance as it is today. The whole supercharger thing is a life long problem I’ve had with never having enough horsepower. It probably won’t end with the supercharger, I’ll want to get some more boost, bigger injectors, longer headers, etc… Keep pushing it until I spill the bottom end all over the road and then start the circle of life all over again…

I was waiting for the "grunt"! Good post. B)

Did my baseline Dyno pulls today so that I had a good idea of the starting point on my SGT before I begin making mods.

Both pulls were right around 280 RWHP and 300 ft/lbs of torque.

A stock 2007 Mustang GT under the same conditions should get around 265 RWHP and 290 ft/lbs of torque so the Ford racing CAI, 93 octane tune, and exhaust upgrades only yield ~15 RWHP and 10 ft/lbs of torque.

Supposedly the FRPP 93 octane tune is pretty tame because 93 octane is not available in a lot of places. With a more aggressive custom tune the SGT would probably be in the 290 RWHP range.

I'll be installing a polished Shelby-Paxton blower and some other tweaks myself as soon I can get it delivered... I plan to take a week off of work so that I’m not rushing it. After it’s installed I’ll be getting a custom tune. Hoping to get ~450 RWHP when it’s all done!

Dyno%20Run%2002%20-%20040707.jpg

Guess i need 93 octane?

My Calif. 91 octane got me 276 hp and 298 Torque. This was this past saturday.

Can someone explain how this works, as my head is still in the carburetor days. If I understand correctly, I can take my SGT to a dyno shop full of 93 octane fuel, they they can reprogram the computer to get the full benefit of that fuel up to 290 RWHP? How much would that cost? If I multiply 290 RWHP * 1.135 (for example) I am at near 330 HP at the flywheel, is that pretty accurate? Thanks.

Can someone explain how this works, as my head is still in the carburetor days. If I understand correctly, I can take my SGT to a dyno shop full of 93 octane fuel, they they can reprogram the computer to get the full benefit of that fuel up to 290 RWHP? How much would that cost? If I multiply 290 RWHP * 1.135 (for example) I am at near 330 HP at the flywheel, is that pretty accurate? Thanks.

Yes, that is pretty accurate guess. It may not be 290 though, Depends how much timing and air/fuel ratios your car likes ect....

Dyno time around my neck of the woods is $325.00 bucks to get the most out of it as it sits from the factory/SAI or what ever set up you have.

All cars are a little different so, 280 in one car maybe 279 in another, 274 in another, 282 in another, ect....

The tune that SAI uses (Ford Racing) is generic as in 1 tune fits all. Thats why every ones car will be in some cases different numbers wise.

Once you go that route though, your car may not be smog legal after its done, so what ever you chose hand held wise (SCT, Diablo,ect..) you will be able to save the stock tune (Ford Racing) so you can put it back if you have to smog it later on.

I think trying to get the most out of a stock tune though maybe a waste of money unless your hard core and looking for that extra 1-4 hp. I personally am going to wait and figure what all if any bolt on's and such im going to do to the engine and have it Dyno tuned at that time. :)

I was wondering about that too (i.e., whether or not a waste of money w/ the stock CAI). Seems like it would be. Since I can't / don't really use all the power I have (I'm not racing the car) then no practical reason to have more power. Of course, there is always the IMpracticle desire for more....

I was wondering about that too (i.e., whether or not a waste of money w/ the stock CAI). Seems like it would be. Since I can't / don't really use all the power I have (I'm not racing the car) then no practical reason to have more power. Of course, there is always the IMpracticle desire for more....

The Ford tune is on the conservative side and you could probably tweak a little more but not much i think at least not worth the expense of a dyno tune.

There is always the desire for more and that desire always hits you when somebody just spanked you... :)

When i went to the Mustang Dyno Day here in my area, There was alot of nice cars, and very powerfull mustangs. Highest number was 477 at the wheels from a blown Gt. When mine went on the dyno, it was far better then the stock Gt but i was ok with it and its pretty much what i expected. But , i tell you what, Just about evrybody said, the numbers where good for what it is but, what it lacked in the power dept. It definitly made up for it in the looks dept. The guy who owns the place has a GT500 and really like the look of the Shelby Gt. :D

Archived