TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License plate frame

MattInDetroit

All:

I'm looking to find a frame solution that I can use on the street but remove when showing etc., I don't want to drill into the front fender and stick on that ugly plate folder if at all possible. Idealy Ford would have had an attractive intrgral design but oh well!

I'm thinking of trying to some how attach the plate to the lower grill area but wanted to see if anyone konws of a more elegant soluiton. I'm not adverse to drilling holes if they are out of sight etc.

Thanks!

Matt

I have used heavy duty velcro. A license plate really isnt heavy and a strip of velcro from a craft store will do the trick. Saves drilling holes. B) Mark

Good idea...the issue there though is the required strip. While it is less invasive than drilling its still not a clean solution when removed.

:(

Good idea...the issue there though is the required strip. While it is less invasive than drilling its still not a clean solution when removed.

There was a guy on Ebay selling a front bracket that used compression and somehow slipped inbetween the crack on the bumper and the lower trim piece so it could be taken on and off w/o damaging anything. I did a search on ebay just now and could not find it again but you might try.

A couple months back I saw a magnet like attachment. Where 3 large and thin magnets get applied on the backside of the bumper and the metal backing of the license plate would then adhere to the magnets. It was a cool way to quickly remove the plate without drilling. Perhaps you cuold make your own?

Interesting idea.

This conversation seems timely now with the happy go lucky drilling dealer in the other thread. I think we all want to keep the bumper clean the question then is how do we keep a plate on when needed.

This sounds like an opportunity for someone with the means (aka SAI) to create a solution and sell it.

-Matt

Hey guys....

While i was reading this post and looking at my Daily Driver/Show Car (1984 Rx-7) i realized that the plate mount on my Rx-7 is a metal frame and attaches under the bumper out of sight.

So here is the thought:

1) Mount your plate firmly to 2 small 1/2" x 10" strips of alum (home depot sells)

2) Bend alum at an angle that would replicate plate placement on bumper.

3) Attach velcro to underside of bumper (either support or the bumper itself)

4) Attach velcro to 2 bent pieces of alum.

5) Stick your plate on when ever you want!

You can send me your donations!!!!

Jason

Tower Ford Inc

All:

I'm looking to find a frame solution that I can use on the street but remove when showing etc., I don't want to drill into the front fender and stick on that ugly plate folder if at all possible. Idealy Ford would have had an attractive intrgral design but oh well!

I'm thinking of trying to some how attach the plate to the lower grill area but wanted to see if anyone konws of a more elegant soluiton. I'm not adverse to drilling holes if they are out of sight etc.

Thanks!

Matt

Here is a clamp on bracket that I came across on another forum.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...7&postcount=164

Mark

Mark

I like this! So far this is the winner...easy on and easy off. Sent an email to see if the guy is still selling these. This should be standard with the Mustang and for sure the SGT.

Thanks!

Matt

I live in NY..a two plate state. I have already made it very clear to my dealer that i don't want the bracket mounted on the front. I plan on not even putting the front plate on. I think that it will severely lessen the appearance of the car. I'll have it in the car with me. My dad is doing the same thing with his GT500. I know that there is a chance I would get pulled over and get a ticket but any police officer that would actually give you a ticket for not mounting the plate on a car like this would be a jack***. I have even talked to several officers that i know and they said the same thing. So for me the plate isn't going on the front. And even if i did get a ticket...oh well! B)

Mark

BAD NEWS ALL!

-------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:11:51 -0400

Subject: Re: Plate Bracket

The bracket in it's current state will not mount to the CS fascia.. since I use the black insert on the GT for the "clamp part".

Ben

-------------------------

hi I told everyone at the dealer except the owner not to install my front lic plate well the owner said to do it i asked him why after i said not to he told me his side he left the front plate off a GT500 for a friend and the dealer ship is close to state patrol and the guy got stoped by st patrol and the first thing out of his mouth was the dealer didn't put it on .well the capt of the local state patrol called the owner and said next car they stop for no plate that came from that dealership the dealer will get the ticket so you can understand his point it still makes me sick to look at it.i see someone said it only takes 20 mins to take it off whats the trick anyone know i did talk to the body shop and he said 600.00 to fix it and me suppy the stripes wow i thought thats pretty high for two holes i did find a guy that sells the brkts so now i just need to get that front pc off and take it a cheaper body shop

Hi all,

I have received about 8 PM's or emails regarding my Plate mount. I'm Fastrack from TMS btw :)

Anyway... I did look at the CS at the Canadian Autoshow and the front bumper design is different compared to the GT, my bracket design uses the black insert to clamp to. In it's current state my bracket will not work on a Shelby GT or the CS fascia, neither will the ebay one posted.

FYI about the Ebay one, it does not clamp to the bumper, the only thing stopping that bracket from coming off is the front plate pressing on the bumper itself.

I plan to have a look at a CS, and I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Ben

Fastrack from TMS.

Dashboard.

-John

huh?

:unsure:

Hi all,

I have received about 8 PM's or emails regarding my Plate mount. I'm Fastrack from TMS btw :)

Anyway... I did look at the CS at the Canadian Autoshow and the front bumper design is different compared to the GT, my bracket design uses the black insert to clamp to. In it's current state my bracket will not work on a Shelby GT or the CS fascia, neither will the ebay one posted.

FYI about the Ebay one, it does not clamp to the bumper, the only thing stopping that bracket from coming off is the front plate pressing on the bumper itself.

I plan to have a look at a CS, and I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Ben

Fastrack from TMS.

Thanks Ben!

I'm in NY and with all the sports cars I 've had over the years, I've NEVER put on a front plate. Have been stopped a number of times, but actually not as much considering all the cars and times I was out. Never got a ticket for no front plate, and in many instances the cop actually told me to at least have the plate in the car. I have NO intentions of changing when I get the SGT. But then again I'm no longer a kid. One of my sons had my Jag XKR out, which had the plastic see thru cover over the plates, I NEVER got stopped for this, he drove it one time, got ticket for " obstructing the plate", Cops DON'T like young people in nice cars!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just an update I finally got a chance to borrow the Mustang CS (Shelby GT has a CS front bumper)

I fabbed up a bracket and it clamps very well to the bumper :D :P! I plan to have some ready to ship by end of week July 13, 2007.

The price will be a little more than the Mustang GT bracket which sells for $42.50US including shipping as this one actually requires more fabrication.

Please email me at fastrackindustries@gmail.com or PM me.

NOTE: The sample I made uses electrical tape the final production version will not.

And finally here's the pictures:

Here's a shot of the bracket bottom up:

bottom_view_CRW_7119.jpg

Here's a shot of the bracket side view:

direct_sideview_CRW_7117.jpg

Another side view shot:

side_view_CRW_7116.jpg

And finally what the bracket actually looks like:

bracket_CRW_7124.jpg

If you want to view the original Mustang GT topic on TMS:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49099

If you have problems viewing the images above:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/10/27...ew_CRW_7119.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/10/27...et_CRW_7124.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/10/27...ew_CRW_7117.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/10/27...ew_CRW_7116.jpg

Ben W.

Fastrack on TMS

2005 Mustang GT

hi I told everyone at the dealer except the owner not to install my front lic plate well the owner said to do it i asked him why after i said not to he told me his side he left the front plate off a GT500 for a friend and the dealer ship is close to state patrol and the guy got stoped by st patrol and the first thing out of his mouth was the dealer didn't put it on .well the capt of the local state patrol called the owner and said next car they stop for no plate that came from that dealership the dealer will get the ticket so you can understand his point it still makes me sick to look at it.i see someone said it only takes 20 mins to take it off whats the trick anyone know i did talk to the body shop and he said 600.00 to fix it and me suppy the stripes wow i thought thats pretty high for two holes i did find a guy that sells the brkts so now i just need to get that front pc off and take it a cheaper body shop

Got to www.bumperplugs.com if you don't want to pay the $600. This site can hook you up and it is a good alternative. I rejected my car when the dealer drilled the bumper. He driller 4 holes and big ones too. Shelby and others said it would take $2K to fix it right, I said NO and bought another SGT right down the road! I am glad i did too! B)

Hi all,

Just an update I finally got a chance to borrow the Mustang CS (Shelby GT has a CS front bumper)

I fabbed up a bracket and it clamps very well to the bumper :D :P! I plan to have some ready to ship by end of week July 13, 2007.

The price will be a little more than the Mustang GT bracket which sells for $42.50US including shipping as this one actually requires more fabrication.

Please email me at fastrackindustries@gmail.com or PM me.

NOTE: The sample I made uses electrical tape the final production version will not.

Ben,

I think this has ben asked elsewhere but why can't we angle the plate down below the bumper rather than up and over the bumper. I know someone said it would be a pain to take on and off but I will only be taking it off at shows or events and would rather have it not obstructing the look of the car the rest of the time. Don't get me wrong, this is GREAT! Just wishing for one more thing... B)

Ben,

I think this has ben asked elsewhere but why can't we angle the plate down below the bumper rather than up and over the bumper. I know someone said it would be a pain to take on and off but I will only be taking it off at shows or events and would rather have it not obstructing the look of the car the rest of the time. Don't get me wrong, this is GREAT! Just wishing for one more thing... B)

Actually-2 more things---compatability with the lower grille insert. B)

Archived