TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My shelby :)

sdear

I just got my new black Shelby GT on Wednesday night. I was wondering a few things and thought I would ask here.

What is the best wax to use on a black car? (this black car thing is new to me :D )

Have any of you added spoilers back on ? If so..do you have pictures?

Window tint..what kind..shade?

I just LOVE this car !!!!

Thanks for any advice / info you can share on the appearance/ care !

Thanks,

Sue

I just got my new black Shelby GT on Wednesday night. I was wondering a few things and thought I would ask here.

What is the best wax to use on a black car? (this black car thing is new to me :D )

Thanks,

Sue

Personally I'm not going to use a wax during the summer but a sealer and hear is why. I live in Texas and we are coming into the summertime where it can get blistering hot. Not only that but my car is black which will absorb the heat thusly causing the carnuba wax to melt and get sticky attracting dirt. I'm still looking for a quality sealer though. I put Polyglycoat on the car last night - just some stuff I had laying around from my Z-28 days - but a guy I work with has a mobile detail business and he recomended buying from a site called www.topoftheline.com. With that being said I did use the Mequires spray wax on the front and bumper but I will not do it again. The product works fine as it is just carnuba wax but the mist is hard to control and you get overspray in places you don't want. A simple paste is easier to control. I recommend a dual action, low speed buffer, about $25 from your local Wally World. You can really get a shine with those things just don't hold it in one spot too long and "burn" the paint and check the bonnet frequently to be sure you don't get a small piece of trash on it. That could really make for a bad day. Also, get one of those "California Dusters" or detailers dusters to remove the dust off the car. Mine came in a two-pack, a large one for the outside and a small one for the inside. Invest in a good, high quality chamois as well. It should come moist and stay moist. After a wash, a light mist of Windex will help with any streaking that might happen but personally I don't think you can ever get a black car perfect.

As far as adding a spoiler, I would not add anything that can not be removed without damaging the car. It will take away some of the cars value IMO if it has added items that were not part of the original design but then again just how much are these cars going to be worth 10 years down the road? I guess if everyone wrecked their cars and I kept mine pristine then I could really cash in :D .

I like 35% on the passenger and driver windows and 10-15% on the sides and rear glass. Any darker not only is it illegal in Texas (35% on the front, 5% on the sides and rear and 6" eyebrow up to 5% across the front) but you just can't see anything at night time. Stick with 3M brand. You might want to check your local laws.

In terms of both protection and shine, I always heard that Zaino was the way to go, especially for a black vehicle. When I got my SGT in black, that's what I used and I must say it is outstanding. Three coats so far and the shine is unbelievable. Easy to apply. Go to their website and follow the directions, I did not do the clay bar as I did mine when it was still new and clean.

In terms of both protection and shine, I always heard that Zaino was the way to go, especially for a black vehicle. When I got my SGT in black, that's what I used and I must say it is outstanding. Three coats so far and the shine is unbelievable. Easy to apply. Go to their website and follow the directions, I did not do the clay bar as I did mine when it was still new and clean.

I've heard nothing but good things about Zaino.

My wife is wanting a spoiler on the back as well so I went and checked them out. They just stick on with tape so more than likely I'm going to get one for her, have it painted gloss black with the silver stripes to match the car and put it on for her.

Only a true collecter 15 or 20 years down the road is going to have a problem with it anyway.

My wife is wanting a spoiler on the back as well so I went and checked them out. They just stick on with tape so more than likely I'm going to get one for her, have it painted gloss black with the silver stripes to match the car and put it on for her.

Only a true collecter 15 or 20 years down the road is going to have a problem with it anyway.

What spoiler are you getting that sticks on with tape?

BTW: The GTH does not have the stripes on the spoiler depending upon the spoiler you buy you may not want to add them.

BTW: The GTH does not have the stripes on the spoiler depending upon the spoiler you buy you may not want to add them.

I went to the Ford dealer yesterday, and he recommends the GT500 spoiler on it. Is that a stick on ?

Haven't decided for sure if I am putting one on..but I am leaning towards yes !

I went to the Ford dealer yesterday, and he recommends the GT500 spoiler on it. Is that a stick on ?

Haven't decided for sure if I am putting one on..but I am leaning towards yes !

The GT500 spoiler it's not a "stick on" and I wouldn't recommend you get any "stick on" spoiler. These things have a way of coming off and causing all kinds of havoc.

As for the GT 500 spoiler I will say that in many ways it looks cooler and it's actually somewhat functional in that it really does use the air flow to apply some downward force. So on the surface I would have to agree with the dealer.

However, something to think about...this car was meant to be the retail version of the Hertz GTH. Somehow, and I am honestly at a loss to understand why, the car lost the cool CS6 Hood and the rear spoiler. I am having both put back on in tribute to the car that inspired it. For me it's a plausible theme and fits the cars heritage and parentage. The Shelby GT500 spoiler is an entirely different story, and for me, though I like it better in some way, just didn't fit "MY" car.

There may be some people that will say keep it all stock, but there is nothing you're doing that can't one day be undone should someone want to and frankly, in my case, I'm buying this car to drive and have fun in, I could care less about the next guy. :) So do what you want!

BTW: The stock GT spoiler painted as a take off from a standard GT can be had for as little as $99 and just have a body shop put it on.

http://www.ninosport.com/Spoiler-Rear-Must...2&category=1503

No stripes are needed as the Hertz car did not have the stripes on the spoiler.

The GT500 does have the stripes on the spoiler and these you would need to order from SAI.

Have Fun!

-Matt

I think it's called a ducktail type spoiler. Not real sure. It's a 3 piece and from what I saw when I slowly pulled it up - no damage to the car - was doublesided tape. As far as it coming of, are not the scoop and side cowls just stuck on? If that can stay on at 115mph why would a spoiler come off?

I think it's called a ducktail type spoiler. Not real sure. It's a 3 piece and from what I saw when I slowly pulled it up - no damage to the car - was doublesided tape. As far as it coming of, are not the scoop and side cowls just stuck on? If that can stay on at 115mph why would a spoiler come off?

The issue is after-market vs. OEM. Ok, it's your car and you can do as you want and the only person you have to make happy is you.

Ok...got that out of the way...but I so want to beg you PLEASE DO NOT PUT SOME STICK ON "DUCKTAIL" SPOILER ON THIS CAR! :o

The GT500 spoiler and the stock GT spoiler are not taped on, maybe there is a reason for that?

The scoop is also not "taped on" it has tape to help it look even but it is bolted on. These things, unlike the side scoops are heavy and have to stand up to the opening and closing of the hood/trunk etc., and not work loose.

Go ahead and get either the FORD GT500 or the Stock spoiler, again both use tape to give a uniform look, but BOTH are bolted on. Don't use some plastic stick on thing, not on this car.

PLEASE!

There now I feel better! ;)

......Matt, what if he uses the Roush 3-piece spoiler. :P

I would on a regular Mustang.

You're trying to trap me! B)

But seriously, I said, beauty is in the eye...but this car is a Shelby and it just seems wrong to put anything on the car that you wouldn't be able to get SAI to do in the mod shop.

As for the the idea of putting a Rousch spoiler on :angry: , also bolted btw, ugh....why are you up so early anyway! :P

You're trying to trap me! B)

But seriously, I said, beauty is in the eye...but this car is a Shelby and it just seems wrong to put anything on the car that you wouldn't be able to get SAI to do in the mod shop.

As for the the idea of putting a Rousch spoiler on :angry: , also bolted btw, ugh....why are you up so early anyway! :P

I will not Roush my Shelby ! :P (nothing against Roush...just I have a Shelby )

No stick on spoiler for me.

He (the dealer) suggested the Shelby GT 500 spoiler I think mainly to keep it Shelby.

Matt..do you have a picture of one that you are speaking of on a shelby ?

Thanks,

Sue

I will not Roush my Shelby ! :P (nothing against Roush...just I have a Shelby )

No stick on spoiler for me.

He (the dealer) suggested the Shelby GT 500 spoiler I think mainly to keep it Shelby.

Thanks,

Sue

Maybe I am wrong and the tape was supplemental. Here is a GT spoiler and it definately bolts. I'm telling you though the GT I looked at had double sided tape on the spoiler.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2820997/tm.htm

Edit: Ok, obviously the tape was supplmental. Here is another on from Ebay- http://home.carolina.rr.com/brittanyscott/eBay/spoiler2.jpg

After I bought Zaino I will never use anything else! I highly recomend getting Zaino www.zainostore.com It is a little on the pricey side but for the results you can't go wrong. I bought the Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit and Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal and my car has never looked better and never felt better. I've used everything and nothing has given me the results as well as Zaino.

DON'T ADD A SPOILER!!!

Thanks,

Sue

I can't post a pic here due to some space issue. Go to the gallery here and look at the Hertz GTH that is the pedigree (of sorts) for this car. It has the stock rear spoiler with no stripes. Now just find a picture of any striped GT500 ( some are not striped) and you will see the spoiler and how it really needs stripes as it lays on top of the rear deck vs. the stock one which is raised.

I like the look of the GT500 spoiler but to keep to the theme, I'm also getting the CS6 hood, I'm going with the stock spoiler all installed at SAI. If you're going to add it after the fact you can't beat that $99 pre-painted price!

Either way I'm sure you'll be happy!

IMHO...SPOILER WILL RUIN THE AUTHENIC NATURE OF THE VEHICLE..DONT DO IT. STEVE

If the parts are OEM, and can be easily removed, which these can be, minor fill, who cares.

While I understand and appreciate your desire to keep the car !00% stock, and the anti-spolier brigade in general, I just think removing the spoiler was a design mistake from the start! This car, especially with a raised scoop or hood, begs to have the visual balance of a rear deck spoiler. IMHO!!!!!! :mellow:

Hey, look at it this way, side by side in the future, if you're right, your car will be worth millions more than mine! ;)

Hey, look at it this way, side by side in the future, if you're right, your car will be worth millions more than mine! ;)

I was thinking billions but whose counting.

If anyone is interested on Ebay there is a dealer selling GT spoiler take-offs for (starting bid) $69. I eamailed to see if he had the black. Search 07 mustang spoiler.

I was thinking billions but whose counting.

If anyone is interested on Ebay there is a dealer selling GT spoiler take-offs for (starting bid) $69. I eamailed to see if he had the black. Search 07 mustang spoiler.

Thanks for all the info guys !! I think I am definately going to try that Zaino product. I haven't heard one bad word asking around.

As for the spoiler, not sure yet. I am with Matt on the fact that I think it's missing something wihtout the spoiler. I do like the look of a spoiler, but without is growing on me too haha ! I want one flush with the car, I don't think I will go with the stock GT spoiler.

Sue

Here is a picture of my GT with 15% tint on the doors and all back windows. It is quite difficult to back up at night but other than that it is great. I do not know what brand it was done with. Hope this helps.

2554762_6_full.jpg

I use Meguiars NXT to wax it with.

2554762_8_full.jpg

Here is an article on another forum about caring for a black car.

Black Mustang Club Detailing

Thanks,

Sue

I used Meguiars 26 yellow wax with a Porter Cable orbital polishing machine and it looks great, feels great and the water really beads up when I wash it. I have had two show cars (Packards) and won awards at many major concours. My car looks great and has good protection.

Here is a picture of my GT with 15% tint on the doors and all back windows. It is quite difficult to back up at night but other than that it is great. I do not know what brand it was done with. Hope this helps.

2554762_6_full.jpg

I use Meguiars NXT to wax it with.

2554762_8_full.jpg

Here is an article on another forum about caring for a black car.

Black Mustang Club Detailing

Your car looks great though I have really gotten used to my black wheels. I have a garage full of NXT (it is often in the goody bags when I show at Concours), it gives a great shine but doesn't last long. That is why I used the Meguiars 26. My tint looks pretty similar 35 front, 25 rear and it really hasn't hurt the visability much going with the 25. I probably could have even used less tint with the dark interior.

I used Meguiars 26 yellow wax with a Porter Cable orbital polishing machine and it looks great, feels great and the water really beads up when I wash it. I have had two show cars (Packards) and won awards at many major concours. My car looks great and has good protection.

Your car looks great though I have really gotten used to my black wheels. I have a garage full of NXT (it is often in the goody bags when I show at Concours), it gives a great shine but doesn't last long. That is why I used the Meguiars 26. My tint looks pretty similar 35 front, 25 rear and it really hasn't hurt the visability much going with the 25. I probably could have even used less tint with the dark interior.

Very very nice !!

Thanks for the info. I am definately going to stay light on the tint with the dark interior.

What tint brands do you all use? Anyone used Formula one ?

OK, to clarify, I wouldn't add any Roush, Saleen, or Steeda branded component to a Shelby either. I was having fun with Matt. Which by the way I am up so early because of a new work schedule.

....My opinion, I guees I am in the anti-spoiler brigade. First, I don't like the look of the wing type spoiler from the standard GT that came on the GT-H and SAI is offering. Just don't like the look. Heck, I think the optional one for the V6s looks better. I might have went with the GT500 spoiler but I decided I wanted to stay away from GT500 componets. This a Shelby GT not a GT500. My opinion and to each his own.

OK, to clarify, I wouldn't add any Roush, Saleen, or Steeda branded component to a Shelby either. I was having fun with Matt. Which by the way I am up so early because of a new work schedule.

....My opinion, I guees I am in the anti-spoiler brigade. First, I don't like the look of the wing type spoiler from the standard GT that came on the GT-H and SAI is offering. Just don't like the look. Heck, I think the optional one for the V6s looks better. I might have went with the GT500 spoiler but I decided I wanted to stay away from GT500 componets. This a Shelby GT not a GT500. My opinion and to each his own.

I can definately appreciate someone wanting to keep the originality of the car but I like the spoiler. Looking at the GT-H and then Samanthas GT, to me it just sets it off.

I post some pics once I get it ordered and installed.

ZAINO For The Win!!! (Click the pic to enlarge it)

My Shelby:

20070219image0001mo8.th.jpg

20070219image0002jr1.th.jpg

20070219image0004zc4.th.jpg

20070219image0006yh8.th.jpg

My Sons Evolution 8:

20070313image0001ec9.th.jpg

20070313image0004jp1.th.jpg

20070313image0007vh1.th.jpg

Very very nice !!

Thanks for the info. I am definately going to stay light on the tint with the dark interior.

What tint brands do you all use? Anyone used Formula one ?

3M paper is one of the best to use, It is guaranteed to never turn purple and has the best manufactures warrenty. Also you might want to look in to getting the 3M Paint protector (Clear Bra) for the front of you're car.

Archived