TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Grill Bracket Update?

MattInDetroit

Amy,

I know you said you were looking to address the issue of the hacked stock grill to support the new one but haven't had any word on this?

I can accept almost anything other than this grill fiasco. I would also hope that you eat the new $$$ and provide a program where previous owners can have the updated bracket installed at their local dealership.

I only ask because I keep getting beat up on this.

Thanks!

:)

If you didnt like the whey the grill was you should have never bought the car !!

Wow! Thank you for that well written, reasoned, and thoughtful response! :blink:

The issue with the grill bracket is not apparent when you look at any of the Ford marketing materials and when you see the car in person from the front you can't help but notice the cut up standard grill in the back. SAI, through an earlier post by Amy, has already acknowledged it's not what they would have liked. She said they were working on a grill bracket to completely replace the standard grill. This is a low cost item, part wise, and the labor maybe 30 min.

I look forward to you next compelling contribution to the forum! ;)

Matt

The hacked up look is really a disappointment, I hope it gets addressed soon.

Ours just came in today. I looked it over pretty close as did a few others. I was specifically looking at the grill issue. I looked at it several times and thought the issue must have been taken care of as a running change because it looked fine. The 3rd time I looked at it I found the old grill by looking through the area between the grill and the radiator support. Now I had looked there earlier and not seen it. Either they are doing a cleaner job with it, perhaps cutting more away, or we are being very picky. If I had not been looking for the old grill I never would have noticed. Nobody that has looked at the car,and it's outside, has noticed. Maybe if the light is different?? I haven't seen any of the earlier ones so again, maybe they are doing something different now.

Ours just came in today. I looked it over pretty close as did a few others. I was specifically looking at the grill issue. I looked at it several times and thought the issue must have been taken care of as a running change because it looked fine. The 3rd time I looked at it I found the old grill by looking through the area between the grill and the radiator support. Now I had looked there earlier and not seen it. Either they are doing a cleaner job with it, perhaps cutting more away, or we are being very picky. If I had not been looking for the old grill I never would have noticed. Nobody that has looked at the car,and it's outside, has noticed. Maybe if the light is different?? I haven't seen any of the earlier ones so again, maybe they are doing something different now.

Congratulations on getting your car!!!

I agree, you really have to be looking for the old grill support. Not a big deal to me.

Let us know when you stop smiling!!! :D

Guys, can some of you post pictures? I'd love to see the difference between the two to understand more. Can you upload pics of the "hacked" grille's and pics of it "fixed."

Thanks

Adam

Maybe this is a question for SAI, but I don't believe that there are two different grille supports. I think "hacked" and "fixed" are in the eye of the beholder. John Walker said in the "Questions for John W." post that all of the grilles are done the same way and they will not change throughout production of the SGT. He also said that they will offer a "new" bracket to those that desire, at cost.

Which brings up an interesting question.....maybe for another thread....

If SAI is putting effort into creating a redesigned bracket, but they aren't using it for the SGT. What will they be using it for????? GT350????

Maybe this is a question for SAI, but I don't believe that there are two different grille supports. I think "hacked" and "fixed" are in the eye of the beholder. John Walker said in the "Questions for John W." post that all of the grilles are done the same way and they will not change throughout production of the SGT. He also said that they will offer a "new" bracket to those that desire, at cost.

Which brings up an interesting question.....maybe for another thread....

If SAI is putting effort into creating a redesigned bracket, but they aren't using it for the SGT. What will they be using it for????? GT350????

the cs6 and cs5

the cs6 and cs5

first of all there is not grill frame even availa on the open market. If you buy an aftermarket grill you have to cut the standard grill. That said our team does a good job and a neat job. we are making a grill frame for those who chose to upgrade there cars. But all the SGT will have the same grill.

Sorry if some of you dont like it. This is the way we did the Gt-H as well

Amy

• 1 month later...

Wow...thanks...thats a relatively low number...was your car waiting for mods?

Yeah, I got the Lower grille insert, with functional brake ducting and the driving lights. I think it gives the front a much meaner, more aggressive look. when i get some more time tonight i'll post some pics. B)

Yeah, I got the Lower grille insert, with functional brake ducting and the driving lights. I think it gives the front a much meaner, more aggressive look. when i get some more time tonight i'll post some pics. B)

Interesting...yes, please post (both grills) when you can.

• 2 months later...

I asked in another thread, but probably should have asked here instead.

When will this new grille frame be available for purchase?

Thanks

It's been almost 4 months since we had any update from SAI and almost 3 months since I asked the question above.

Would appreciate a status update on the new grille bracket. Also will it be used on the 2008 SGTs?

It's been almost 4 months since we had any update from SAI and almost 3 months since I asked the question above.

Would appreciate a status update on the new grille bracket. Also will it be used on the 2008 SGTs?

At my embarrassing car show last week there was a car with a all in one grill like ours and no hacked grill behind it. Looked good. The owner was off making fun of my car so I didn't get a chance to ask him where he got it.

Anyway, I suspect the grill is with the new gas cap...

:wacko:

At my embarrassing car show last week there was a car with a all in one grill like ours and no hacked grill behind it. Looked good. The owner was off making fun of my car so I didn't get a chance to ask him where he got it.

Matt...I had my grill replaced due to a scratch in it, back in May. The second grill that came was more "finished" around the sides. It appeared it had been grinded down and had a more finished look to it. I don't notice mine at all now behind the "new" grill. Parts of the old grill were still there, but it was more finished if you get the picture. I wish I had taken pictures of the back of it while it was off.

If we have to take it off to fix the hood pins...we will take some pics and post them.

Sue

If I hadn't read these post I would have never known about this grill. Why? 'cause I can't see it until I get a flash light and shine it in the right spot and then squint my eyes and then I see what SAI did. IMO, a dremmel tool to smooth the edges and some black paint, will if you really care about it, make this look better. In my opinion it's a cosmetic issue on something that can't be seen.

I would rather SAI address more serious issues like the hood scoop than spend the resources to fix this. Just my opinion.

If I hadn't read these post I would have never known about this grill. Why? 'cause I can't see it until I get a flash light and shine it in the right spot and then squint my eyes and then I see what SAI did. IMO, a dremmel tool to smooth the edges and some black paint, will if you really care about it, make this look better. In my opinion it's a cosmetic issue on something that can't be seen.

I would rather SAI address more serious issues like the hood scoop than spend the resources to fix this. Just my opinion.

One day you WILL see it, the sun will hit it and you will be at the right level, and bam! There it is!

But this is isn't just about the grill. It's about a job well done. Not what you can see but the things you can't see. A sentiment where you get a car that is engineered well with a fit and finish that will last as long as those 60s cars.

The issue was, and still is, one of shortcuts so let's review:

- Rather than a new grill, that others offer, we have a hacked one

- Rather than the Ford Racing Filter, that usually comes with the package, we have stock

- Rather than a rugged scoop we have one that's too forgiving in the heat and bends

These are manufacturing or assembly decisions, I'll back away from the word shortcuts, and as a owner intending to keep the car forever, they should be a concern.

The issue is these are things we can see, challenges within the first weeks of ownership...

- Rather than a new grill, that others offer, we have a hacked one

- Rather than the Ford Racing Filter, that usually comes with the package, we have stock

- Rather than a rugged scoop we have one that's too forgiving in the heat and bends

I have all three of the above on my car and I've made my point about #1, but I understand how others may feel different.

#2: I've bought two FRPP filters and I'm going to change my oil this weekend. I'll probably buy a case of them next time. Keep in mind we are talking about something you will throw away after your first oil change.

#3: I agree and that's the battle I'm choosing to fight to get corrected. So far, SAI has been very responsive to me. However, I am starting to think that the best solution may only be replacing all of the false rivets with screws. Even then you still may see some wavyness on the sides unless they replace the scoops with sheet metal versions (which I doubt is even being considered by SAI).

So, as I see it, the main issue is the scoops and a long term solution to them. Many of the other problems we've discussed on this forum are workmanship/installation problems that can be redone and fixed (as big a hassle as it is). The scoop is a design issue. The best solution is to go with metal scoops but with 6000 plastic scoops out there, I doubt SAI is going to scrap them all and go with sheet metal and all the labor to install them. I'm sure they are looking for an "acceptable" solution vs. the best solution.

My contact at SAI says they have a few solutions they have tested and it's currently in management's court to decide which one it will be.

I wish I lived in socal and had access to all those mod shops. I'd like to get a sheet metal copy of the scoop made and installed.

I have all three of the above on my car and I've made my point about #1, but I understand how others may feel different.

I wish I lived in socal and had access to all those mod shops. I'd like to get a sheet metal copy of the scoop made and installed.

No worries, the sky isn't falling, and these things will be corrected either by SAI, Ford, our ourselves. I am OVERALL VERY VERY HAPPY with this car, make no mistake about that.

My only goal is to hold people's feet to the fire until something is done...again I don't doubt all these things will be fixed I just don't want to see them forgotten and we're all sitting around 20 years from now bitching about grills and scoops.

<_<

Enjoy your car, I know I do!

:D

Matt, I can understand the beef about the scoop, but like blueshawk said, you just plain cant see the "hacked" grille. The only time i have been able to see it was when i was on my knees looking for it. I dont see why this is such an issue. I would not define it as hacked up, something that is hacked up is also falling apart and usually causing problems. So far I have not heard any significant complaints about the grille.

Secondly, I mean we are all beating a dead horse with the issue about the scoop, SAI knows there is an issue with it and is working to fix it. Us talking here 24/7 about it isn't going to help. Ideas on how to make it better will. So if you are so intent on getting it fixed, do you have any real ideas onto how to make it better, that are both cost effective and realistic? Otherwise can we please lay off the subject and trust that SAI will come through for us, like they have in the past.

my .02

Matt, I can understand the beef about the scoop, but like blueshawk said, you just plain cant see the "hacked" grille. The only time i have been able to see it was when i was on my knees looking for it. I dont see why this is such an issue. I would not define it as hacked up, something that is hacked up is also falling apart and usually causing problems. So far I have not heard any significant complaints about the grille.

Secondly, I mean we are all beating a dead horse with the issue about the scoop, SAI knows there is an issue with it and is working to fix it. Us talking here 24/7 about it isn't going to help. Ideas on how to make it better will. So if you are so intent on getting it fixed, do you have any real ideas onto how to make it better, that are both cost effective and realistic? Otherwise can we please lay off the subject and trust that SAI will come through for us, like they have in the past.

my .02

Understand....noted.

The grill is complete and engineered. It is in production, we should have stock soon, I will check next week. SPP will be selling them

Amy

The grill is complete and engineered. It is in production, we should have stock soon, I will check next week. SPP will be selling them

Amy

There is such a funny sarcastic joke here but I will refrain! :D

THANKS! I will be first in line!

;)

Will they be standard on the 08? That way AFBlue can boast about something other than color? ;)

Archived