TEAM SHELBY FORUM

how to increase horse power?

download

• 4 weeks later...

TTT

Well, your bolt on power is already added and you PC is retuned so from here it's major parts swapping. Maybe a set of headders, new intake, heads, cam etc. Or just put in a 75 shot of nitrous. Me personally I think an investment in a set of 4.10 gears would be well worth it. You will loose top end and maybe a little mpg but your 1/4 mile runs would improve substantially since you will be putting the mechanical advantage behind the diff.

Well, your bolt on power is already added and you PC is retuned so from here it's major parts swapping. Maybe a set of headders, new intake, heads, cam etc. Or just put in a 75 shot of nitrous. Me personally I think an investment in a set of 4.10 gears would be well worth it. You will loose top end and maybe a little mpg but your 1/4 mile runs would improve substantially since you will be putting the mechanical advantage behind the diff.

Personally, The tune that ford puts in the shelby is still on the conservative side although better than stock. Plus the Air intake ("Steeda" even though it says ford racing) is not the best eithier so there is room for improvement there. The gearing after the latter was looked into is one of your best bang for the buck additions. 4.10 will realy help get you going and you are only going to add about 300 rpm to your cruise rpm. Maybe lose 1-2 mpg? My advice is plan, plan, plan. Dont start bolting on parts. Some parts work well while others are barely neglagable gains. Don't waste money! See what others are doing with thier Gt mustangs (Not the Shelby's) and mod from there. That way you can see what works and what does not. Avoid stuff that will make you engine go bang in a big way unless you have a savings account to cover any unfortunate problems that ford wont fix. You have to pay to play, just how much you want to pay and how fast you want to go. I have made some changes to the tune and air intake that when i go to the drags this friday night will see if it was worth the trouble or not and i'll post back here this saturday and let you know how it turned out performance wise. I have a base line from a couple of weeks ago that was dead on consistant in the 1/8 mile track here by me so will see if i have any improvment with just those 2 changes. :)

Personally, The tune that ford puts in the shelby is still on the conservative side although better than stock. Plus the Air intake ("Steeda" even though it says ford racing) is not the best eithier so there is room for improvement there. The gearing after the latter was looked into is one of your best bang for the buck additions. 4.10 will realy help get you going and you are only going to add about 300 rpm to your cruise rpm. Maybe lose 1-2 mpg? My advice is plan, plan, plan. Dont start bolting on parts. Some parts work well while others are barely neglagable gains. Don't waste money! See what others are doing with thier Gt mustangs (Not the Shelby's) and mod from there. That way you can see what works and what does not. Avoid stuff that will make you engine go bang in a big way unless you have a savings account to cover any unfortunate problems that ford wont fix. You have to pay to play, just how much you want to pay and how fast you want to go. I have made some changes to the tune and air intake that when i go to the drags this friday night will see if it was worth the trouble or not and i'll post back here this saturday and let you know how it turned out performance wise. I have a base line from a couple of weeks ago that was dead on consistant in the 1/8 mile track here by me so will see if i have any improvment with just those 2 changes. :)

I swaped in 4.56's in my old 05 ram 1500 with the 4.7. That gear swap brought new life to the truck like you would not believe! Also, with the Dodge 545rfe 5 spd tranny and an OD gear of .67, at 70mph my rpm's were barely 2500. Mileage actually increased in town. One draw back though it the gear swap increased the speed of the driveshaft and it would hit critical speed at about 82-85 mph. It actually exploded from the middle out. Heres a pic...

B8857FB8D618429A9EA1D058FF1729C7.jpg

In case you're wondering, the u-joints were still connected to the truck.

I swaped in 4.56's in my old 05 ram 1500 with the 4.7. That gear swap brought new life to the truck like you would not believe! Also, with the Dodge 545rfe 5 spd tranny and an OD gear of .67, at 70mph my rpm's were barely 2500. Mileage actually increased in town. One draw back though it the gear swap increased the speed of the driveshaft and it would hit critical speed at about 82-85 mph. It actually exploded from the middle out. Heres a pic...

B8857FB8D618429A9EA1D058FF1729C7.jpg

In case you're wondering, the u-joints were still connected to the truck.

Ouch!

Hope no one got hurt with that explosion!

I was thinking the 3.73 rear as a middle ground. The guys in the know, it seems you may not think that is enough improvement for the cost? Or other thoughts?

My .02,

3.55 to 3.73 is almost nothing. If you had 3.31's to 3.73's then i would say yes but, for the cost and what your going to gain from it, its not worth it. The change from 3.55's to 4.10's will be significant. Now, i have heard that other's that are going to S/C, That would be a nice gear. For N/A (Normally Asperated)cars, 4.10 is the weapon of choice.

My .02,

3.55 to 3.73 is almost nothing. If you had 3.31's to 3.73's then i would say yes but, for the cost and what your going to gain from it, its not worth it. The change from 3.55's to 4.10's will be significant. Now, i have heard that other's that are going to S/C, That would be a nice gear. For N/A (Normally Asperated)cars, 4.10 is the weapon of choice.

X2

Besides the costly s/c, what other ideas would be the best to increase horsepower of SGT?

hi get a new drive shaft i read somewhere where gt one is to heavy weight 48pds get a apex motorsports solid chromemoly 3 inch it weighs 23 pds it will give you 10 horse power at least thats what they say about the gt

Guys, read my signature and see what Tasca Ford (High Performance dealer) is adding to my car. I should be getting around another 50-75 horsepower taking me up to nearly 400 HP (without the supercharger or nitro). I wanted to add more HP to my car but not the 175 extra from the S/C (or nitro). 375-400 HP was the range I wanted to achieve.

I am doing this because of the history Tasca Ford has with inventing the Cobra Jet (CJ) engine, their 68 King of the Road CJ Mustangs, their Ford Racing heritage, John and Ashley Force racing, and other reasons to add uniqueness and rarity to my car. Plus, I have a magazine article showing a 67 Tasca Shelby GT500 and how rare they are and "Baddest of the 67 GT500's" per the magazine. Email me at adams.shelbygt@gmail.com if you're interested in reading the article.

Rough estimates:

Underdrive pulley replacements - 8 hp

Steeda inlet tube - 12 hp

Charge Motion Plate and SCT tune - 53 hp

I might have them install the 4.10 gears as well.

I say 50-75 because these were what they did to another Mustang GT so I am subtracting the Shelby 19 hp difference to play it safe. Once my car is completed, I will post the final numbers. They will dyno before and after and I'll post that too.

The Steeda throttle body spacer didn't show HP improvement; just mpg improvement. The inside is like the tornado product on the infomercials. I will have them grind/polish the Steeda stamp off this though as I only want Ford, Shelby and Tasca on my car.

The GT500 steering wheel may give another 10 hp improvement (psychologically) since I like it better than the SGT steering wheel - LOL.

All of this will be considered "dealer installed" as if originally from the factory.

As Amy says, it's all about the "BALANCE." I figure mine should be right up there with the GT500 on performance now.

That sounds exactly what i want to do to my car. I was initially VERY interested in the S/C but the warranty issue really turned me off. Can the mods be put on by another Ford professional. There is a company named Blue Oval Automotive in Vancouver Wshington that specializes in late model Mustang performance and if yours does give you that extra 50-75 HP I want it! Please let me or all of us know ASAP.

Thanks for the good information.

PS: I can't not stop everyone from looking at my car, even me! :D

That sounds exactly what I want to do to my car. I was initially VERY interested in the S/C but the warranty issue really turned me off. Can the mods be put on by another Ford professional. There is a company named Blue Oval Automotive in Vancouver Washington that specializes in late model Mustang performance and if yours does give you that extra 50-75 HP I want it! Please let me or all of us know ASAP.

Thanks for the good information.

PS: I can't not stop everyone from looking at my car, even me! :D

No sweat Swede. My car is on the train on the way to SAI now. Going directly to Tasca right after SAI. I assume Tasca will have it sometime around early June (hope earlier).

I'll PM you the Tasca Ford Performance Director's info.

Also, thanks for the clarification on your opinion of the SGT. I was one of the other guys who gave you a hard time for your "negative" comments about the design of the SGT and in being on this forum. I was glad that you clarified and are excited about this car and program.

Adam

Ok,

Ford Racing C.A.I. and Ford performance tune from shelby (Ford Racing)...

60' 2.20

1/8 mile E.T. 9.50 (Consistant)

C & L C.A.I. and Brenspeed tune...

60' 2.20

1/8 mile E.T. 9.10 (Consistant)

I have tried launching the car slipping the clutch, with TCS on, with TCS off, no slipping,low rpm,high rpm, ect... and the 60' is mostly the same if not worse.

Drag Radials will improve the 60' problem for sure.

Came in second in the Bracket program. Lost to a turbo'ed MR2 that got me off the line but once i hit second i was pullin on him but ran out of track. Sorry guy's............... :(

Video located here. :)

Friday Night Drags

Ed,

Great racing ! Get Drag Radials for next week so the MR2 can see what the back of a Shelby GT looks like. Rick

Ed,

Great racing ! Get Drag Radials for next week so the MR2 can see what the back of a Shelby GT looks like. Rick

Hey Rick,

I was bummed about that loss. He jumped out on me and i had to play catch up but, not to be that night. Had a lot of fun though. Gained a few tenths with the change in the tune though...

Ed,

He did cut a mean light. Rick

Hey Rick,

I was bummed about that loss. He jumped out on me and i had to play catch up but, not to be that night. Had a lot of fun though. Gained a few tenths with the change in the tune though...

A fluke is a fluke, however he did have a good launch @ the light. Drag radials next time and like he said he'll see what the back end of a Shelby GT looks like @ the finish line. Even the announcer sounded very bewildered at the out come as did everybody else. What did you do for the tune?

Good video!

A fluke is a fluke, however he did have a good launch @ the light. Drag radials next time and like he said he'll see what the back end of a Shelby GT looks like @ the finish line. Even the announcer sounded very bewildered at the out come as did everybody else. What did you do for the tune?

Good video!

I have a Brenspeed tune with a C & L CAI. Between last time out and this time, i have gain 3-4 tenths of a sec. while having the same 60' times so, i know the tune is way better then the Ford/Shelby tune that comes in the car.

Archived