TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shelby gt clone

mekanek853_merged

what do you guys think,should I clone or leave my 07 gt/cs stock? <_<

do whatever you want that will make YOU happy :) some mods are always nice, you dont have to clone a whole car to enjoy the ride

Amy

I think the GT/CS is a nice ride already, but I really like the CS6 hood that Shelby offers. This is the one used on the Shelby GT-H vs the non-functional scoop stuck on the factory hood on the Shelby GT. I think it looks cleaner than the scoop. You could choose to go with, or without the Lemans / Shelby stripes. You'd have to paint it to match (they come unfinished) http://www.shelbyautos.com/ShowDetail.asp?id=27

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on bolting on all the FRPP parts that SAI uses on the SGT. The only thing that ticks me off is that I can't get my car in the Shelby registry...I wasn't willing to pay $10k over MSRP for that honor. I might just send in a part of the dash to get signed and pay the donation to Shelby's charity. I like the look of the CS, I'd be interested in seeing how it would look with the silver racing stripes over the top along with the CS midstripe (I'd have to change the color of that to match).

• 1 month later...

HI Shelby Fans and Amy B: B)

I haven't been on the Forum for quite a while. I was initially real excited about the CS6 project as I had a 2005 V6 Convertible, red on red that I was interested in upgrading, but as time passed, and more project ponies were added, plus the cost, I went a totally different direction. I ended up getting a white 2006 GT which underwent a transformation and ended up being basically the same car as the Shelby GT; however, mine's white with Guardsman Blue stripes painted on, Roush hood scoop, side scoops, and Retro COBRA badges and GT 350 stripes. Got the full FR handling pack, Hurst Shifter, CS 66 wheels, chip re-set, FR exhaust and more. Essentially, it's about the same car as the SGT, but with a Retro GT 350 scheme/theme. As Mr. Shelby said "It ain't just paint." I'm extremely happy with the new pony and decided it was time to share with my cyber friends on the web-site.

Would love to have the real pedigree on this car, cause I believe it's everything Mr. Shelby intended, but all that matters is that I and many others around me enjoy it. I'll paste a couple pics. Hope you enjoy too!

Drew

post-2885-1141106653_thumb.jpgpost-2885-1141107718_thumb.jpgpost-31-1141126715_thumb.jpg

Welcome back.

I'd say you did better. What the Shelby GT needs are unique wheels to really emphasize a Shelby look. You nailed it on your car.

I was and still am excited by the CS6 concept. To me that is a true Shelby. Well engineered in both style and performance. Just wish they would build it.

Nice build on your GT.

robin

Thanks Robin.

I agree with you on all three points you made. 1. Wish Shelby Autos would build the CS6 versus the Kit thru other folks, 2. Thanks for the review on the GT350 clone - it is beautiful and fast :ph34r: and of course 3. The wheels - yeah, I had the same wheels - 18" CS66 wheels on my convertible. I looked at the 66 GT350 that belongs to the man himself under the Shelby Autos gallery, ad the original 66 GT 350 wheel was of the same design, albeit probably 14", not the 18" of the new design. And yes, the SGT really needs a better and unique wheel versus the current bullit style, but hey, it gets a badge and in the registry while mine doesn't <_< . Last thought, I got mine built for a heck of a lot less than the current markups above MSRP on both the SGT and GT500. If anyone is interested, send me a personal message and I will point you in the direction of the builder.

Drew

Thanks Robin.

I agree with you on all three points you made. 1. Wish Shelby Autos would build the CS6 versus the Kit thru other folks, 2. Thanks for the review on the GT350 clone - it is beautiful and fast :ph34r: and of course 3. The wheels - yeah, I had the same wheels - 18" CS66 wheels on my convertible. I looked at the 66 GT350 that belongs to the man himself under the Shelby Autos gallery, ad the original 66 GT 350 wheel was of the same design, albeit probably 14", not the 18" of the new design. And yes, the SGT really needs a better and unique wheel versus the current bullit style, but hey, it gets a badge and in the registry while mine doesn't <_< . Last thought, I got mine built for a heck of a lot less than the current markups above MSRP on both the SGT and GT500. If anyone is interested, send me a personal message and I will point you in the direction of the builder.

Drew

Drew,

You really did a nice job on your car and saved a bundle. We all forget sometimes these all start out as Mustangs on an assembly line and it really doesn't matter if we add the parts, a specialty dealer, or Ford does, if it is tastefully done and you like it, enjoy.

I really liked the wheels. I followed a similar theme using my 05 GT with a Mach 1 theme that is very understated.

I'm thinking about a red stripe package on mine after giving up on a GT 500 purchase. Your car is one of the best looking cars with after market mods I've seen on the forum. Some red stripe tires would really look cool........

GG

I was and still am excited by the CS6 concept. To me that is a true Shelby. Well engineered in both style and performance. Just wish they would build it.

The guy on the factory tour said Ford won't let them. Ford thinks it would phase out the sales of the GT because the price difference wouldn't be much at all.

• 1 month later...

HI Shelby Fans and Amy B: B)

I haven't been on the Forum for quite a while. I was initially real excited about the CS6 project as I had a 2005 V6 Convertible, red on red that I was interested in upgrading, but as time passed, and more project ponies were added, plus the cost, I went a totally different direction. I ended up getting a white 2006 GT which underwent a transformation and ended up being basically the same car as the Shelby GT; however, mine's white with Guardsman Blue stripes painted on, Roush hood scoop, side scoops, and Retro COBRA badges and GT 350 stripes. Got the full FR handling pack, Hurst Shifter, CS 66 wheels, chip re-set, FR exhaust and more. Essentially, it's about the same car as the SGT, but with a Retro GT 350 scheme/theme. As Mr. Shelby said "It ain't just paint." I'm extremely happy with the new pony and decided it was time to share with my cyber friends on the web-site.

Would love to have the real pedigree on this car, cause I believe it's everything Mr. Shelby intended, but all that matters is that I and many others around me enjoy it. I'll paste a couple pics. Hope you enjoy too!

Drew

P1010322.JPGP1010341.JPGBOSS05.JPG

Sweet looking car Drew

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again - if anyone would like to get their hands on one, drop me a message and I will put you in contact with the builder. I don't want anyone to get in trouble, so I won't post it on the site, but it's a Ford dealer that specializes in Ford Racing products and the GM owns a 66 GT 350 and used that as the template for the cars he's building. If you think about the Yenko camaros of the 60's - this guy is doing much the same thing. My car is number 5 out of 8 built so far. They are fully warranted and cost at least $10 G less than the SGT...plus the stripes are all painted on, not stickers. Really beautiful cars....the guy has a black one with white stripes sitting on the showroom floor right now right next to a black with silver stripes SGT. I gotta tell you, the black and white looks MUCH better. B)

My vote is to leave your gt/cs stock. Trying to pose as an SGT will make it a nothing. You already have something, a gt/cs. Leave it that way.

For those who don't think that the SGT is one great looking ride, tell that to all the people who wrench there necks tying to get a better look at mine, and give me so many compliments, when I drive around!

For those who don't think that the SGT is one great looking ride, tell that to all the people who wrench there necks tying to get a better look at mine, and give me so many compliments, when I drive around!

The SGT is an unreral car to drive, own and operate. The car where ever I go, and I mean where ever I go, I get constant attention and praise. So someone saying a cloned Gt350 looks better it is just because he owns a clone. I think he should have waited and bought a SGT now that they can be had for what he paid or almost paid for a clone. We don't have to make a long conversation of why we did what we did, we just have an original Shelby, period. Sorry but the truth is hard to take most all the time. B)

In all fairness to Ford-without them we would not have the platform that made the SGT possible. I think SAI and Ford are dead on. With the retro styling it makes it more like the original Shelby when I was a kid and I have it parked next to the Scwinn Apple Krate that was re issued in '98-two things I spent many an hour dreaming about pre puberty...

Archived