TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Talk About Your S-GT

ShelbyPilot

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pictures from a show in the San Fernando Valley last month. Precious sitting next to an older cousin. The Hertz pictured is one of 22 unrented cars that were sold to Hertz executives. The owner has his name on the list for a convertible also.

48000017.jpg

48000016.jpg

....notice the original 289 Cobra in the background. It was on display by the original owner. He calls it the winningest Cobra in history and the car with the most signed memoribilia from Mr. Shelby. He is actually a very nice gentleman. If I was better with names some of you real Shelby nuts would recognize it immediately. Robin may even know who I am talking about.

Pictures from a show in the San Fernando Valley last month. Precious sitting next to an older cousin. The Hertz pictured is one of 22 unrented cars that were sold to Hertz executives. The owner has his name on the list for a convertible also.

48000017.jpg

48000016.jpg

....notice the original 289 Cobra in the background. It was on display by the original owner. He calls it the winningest Cobra in history and the car with the most signed memoribilia from Mr. Shelby. He is actually a very nice gentleman. If I was better with names some of you real Shelby nuts would recognize it immediately. Robin may even know who I am talking about.

The person with the cobra,His name is Hank Williams

Mike, we have shipped hundreds of cars already. The cars that were ordered in NOV were done first, we had to wait for parts and such, we didnt even start the cars till 2nd week january. we expect to be done mid July with all 6000

Amy

Don't think they're gonna make it!

All right all, I think I posted it so you could see the arrival pictures. Sorry, that my computer skills are only that of a third grader.

To the inquiring minds here was our day. Some details will be left out at the request of SAI for those who are still waiting for the Museum Delivery.

We picked up #187 on Friday. SAI arranged transportation to the factory. We were met by John, Bud, Steve and others. Coincidently, we also met a couple of members of this Forum. My wife and I paitently waited through the standard 10:30 tour of the Museum and the Factory. Not that it wasn't interesting but we only had one thing on our minds. After the tour was completed we were led to #187 in all of its glory. My wife has come to refer to the car as my "precious" (ala Lod of the Rings). John, took plenty of time explaining eveything about the car. Honestly I should of had recorded him because I was in a fog. We spent quite some time soaking in the moment. The overall experience was awesome. If nobody else spills the beans toward the end of production I will go into more detail.

We left SAI after lunch. I wanted to avoid construction on I-15 and allow the engine to change speed naturally and not be stuck at freeway speeds. We headed out through North Las Vegas and along the west coast of Lake Meade. We crossed over Hoover Dam and went into to Kingman. We picked up Route 66 and after turning around to go in the right direction we followed the Mother Road into Needles. The route from Kingman to Needles is definately a winding mountain road. We were from 2nd to 4th gear alot. On and off the brakes. I was however very careful.

In Needles we stopped for dinner. I was asked questions about the car when we parked and when we came back to the car. Another person was looking at the car while I was talking to my dad on the phone. It was starting to get dark, so we departed our plans of Route 66 to Victorville and jumped on I-40. Before, I left SAI I was warned that the supercharger doesn't come on line until about 300 miles. Sure enough we stopped in Barstow for gas at about 325 miles. When, we got back onto I-15, I pressed down the pedal on the on ramp and right about 2500 RPM.....pow an extra punch into the seat. Once at freeway speeds, I played with 4th gear a little bit to hear the supercharger kick in, the rushing wind sound. Feel that power kick in and watch the boost needle jump just a bit. I didn't push past 90.

I love this car. It is a dream come true. I found out about the original GT350s when I was around 12. It was instantly my dream car. Unfortunately, I can't afford one of those. However, #187 is a close substitution.

Exactly my reasoning for buying the Shelby GT-I was in love with the 67,68 and 69 GT500's-they're a bit cost prohibitive these days and I wouldn't really be able to drive and enjoy it much, so the SGT was a very viable alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after getting Precious back from a performance shop I think I am finally nearly complete with the modifications I want. Over the last week, I had colder range spark plugs installed and the computer retuned. A Dyno run on California's summer blend of 91 octane produced 441 HP and 399 pounds of torque. The tuner also bumped the rev limiter up to 6500 and removed the 145 MPH speed limiter. They also installed a set of Granatelli Street upper and lower control arms. Lastly, I had a Fays2 watts link installed. See my post in those topical thread for the details.

My mirrors should have left Virgina today after being painted Ebony ( I hope) too match the car. The mirrors will probably be the finishing touch.

I have a couple of blemishes to fix. I have the pieces in hand and just have to make an appointment for one. After that Precious is DONE........

...well I had one more thought today and am looking for ideas. With the 145 MPH speed limiter removed, I got the wonderful idea of changing the speedomter! :o

The criteria, a new speedometer has to read more then our stock speedometer's 145MPH and be compatiable with the "my color" feature. I think the GT500s goes up to 165MPH But does it have GT500 or SVT on it? I am going to look for other vendors, ideas? Should I change the speedometer or will that detract from the Shelby heritage? If I do the speedometer should I switch the speedometer and tachometer's places?

........oh bugger, will it ever truly be complete?!

...I agree with the blue powder coat but you really have to get under the car to see the frame. The pictures I posted in the other thread are with the car on ramps in the middle of the driveway. I still had to get pretty far under to get decent pictures.

I looked at the manual and the installation didn't look too hard. The hardest part for me would have been trying to do the install on ramps or jackstands and managing my son (wife's still in Italy). I decided to take it to an installer and pay them. That trip also took care of my supercharger concerns.......now to burn the receipts.

I had talked to John when I picked up my car in May. I was told the were in the early stages of the process for a watts link. That to me meant next year if ever and I expect the cost will be similar to Saleens ($1300). Too much for me on a part that nobody will know about unless you show or tell.

well, probably for the better but I think the speedometer change idea is going to die. To begin with, I forgot the guages are simply a face behind the cosmetic bezels. Silly me I was thinking the speedometer and tachometer were separate gauges. I found silver faces and white faces but they only got to 140. The GT500s is reveresed and goes up to 165 but it does have "SVT" in the tachometer. The only other gauges I can find with bigger numbers are on the Saleens. 200 MPH but of course they say "SALEEN" I think my last hope is the FR500 but I can't find out very much information on it. I think it is mostly a project thing from FRPP and they don't list a gauge face or part number in the catalog.

Ah well......

well, probably for the better but I think the speedometer change idea is going to die. To begin with, I forgot the guages are simply a face behind the cosmetic bezels. Silly me I was thinking the speedometer and tachometer were separate gauges. I found silver faces and white faces but they only got to 140. The GT500s is reveresed and goes up to 165 but it does have "SVT" in the tachometer. The only other gauges I can find with bigger numbers are on the Saleens. 200 MPH but of course they say "SALEEN" I think my last hope is the FR500 but I can't find out very much information on it. I think it is mostly a project thing from FRPP and they don't list a gauge face or part number in the catalog.

Ah well......

I feel your pain. I was wanting an LED bar tach to mount on the outside of the car in the plastic right under the hood (line of sight from drivers side) so I could watch the RPM's without taking my eyes off the road. I searched until my eyes crossed and finally gave up.

• 2 weeks later...

I purged most of the pictures from Precious' Photo Album below and added several never before seen photos.

No new parts in the pictures. Well there might be one small one. As I said I am done with the mods.....

Well........OK I have ordered two more but it will be close to a month before they are ready.

Also, this is an open thread please tells about the things you are doing to your Shelby GT or with your Shelby GT.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed one my latest project today. Some may not like it but I think it is an improvement. I wasn't happy with the satin finished tail light trim I had. Anytime I approached the car from behind they just kind of stuck out and put the rear end out of balance. I purchased a new set from SPP (arrived within 3 days). I primed, painted and sleared them. The black is correct code matching touch up paint. To me it looks much better. The pictures don't really so it justice. In hind sight I might have taken them to be powdercoated because I am not the best painter. I have before and after pictures below.

IMG_0598.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Installed one my latest project today. Some may not like it but I think it is an improvement. I wasn't happy with the satin finished tail light trim I had. Anytime I approached the car from behind they just kind of stuck out and put the rear end out of balance. I purchased a new set from SPP (arrived within 3 days). I primed, painted and sleared them. The black is correct code matching touch up paint. To me it looks much better. The pictures don't really so it justice. In hind sight I might have taken them to be powdercoated because I am not the best painter. I have before and after pictures below.

IMG_0598.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

That is exactly what I want to do. I would love it Shelby Autos sold a black version but I can buy those and get them powdercoated as well. I would not want to take a chance with my painting skills either...

:o

Tampa Bay Shelby recently added a Shelby/Paxton s/c and it's AWWWWWsommmmm!! I stopped going by Ford showrooms and asking "how much over" they'll take for a GT500. I'm alraedy outrunning the 500's and still have the stock SGT tires. My new rims are in 20X9 and 20X10, but the tires haven't shown up yet.

I guess brakes are next!!

woo hooo, UPS truck just dropped of a highly anticipated package. It contains the final piece of my puzzle. It looks awesome. I have to clear coat it (hint) and then will install. Very good start to my day. Later

Only a legends signature would make it to the "highly anticipated" final piece list.

Make happen to the Mid West Auto Gear items did any make to car or ? .. pics??

shelbyguy

I purged most of the pictures from Precious' Photo Album below and added several never before seen photos.

No new parts in the pictures. Well there might be one small one. As I said I am done with the mods.....

Well........OK I have ordered two more but it will be close to a month before they are ready.

Also, this is an open thread please tells about the things you are doing to your Shelby GT or with your Shelby GT.

Freekin beautiful car. I used to think Adam's car was going to to be the best looking car but my vote is now with your "Precious", behind mine of course! ;)

IMG_0598.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I like the brushed aluminum look myself. Of course I would have to see it in person.

Only a legends signature would make it to the "highly anticipated" final piece list.

Make happen to the Mid West Auto Gear items did any make to car or ? .. pics??

shelbyguy

hmmm, well. I sold the fuel rail cover. ;)

The timing sort of sucks. I didn't expect to get the item back as quickly as I did and now I have to wait for the clear paint I ordered. Just shipped today.

download021.jpg

I hope my package of paints comes this week so I can coat it and then get the piece on by Monday. I am going to have to play with the look on the car. I am not sure if the strut brace will fit over this cover and under the hood blanket. I also don't know if it will look better with or without the strut brace. When I get it on I will post pictures and maybe ask opinion. I may use the plenum cover just for shows.

Archived