TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3rd year of production?

.....Shelby for two years only.

Who knows?

On another topic, I searched on trademarks...it's clear that Shelby owns GT500 and GT500E. I couldn't find GT500KR. I've never searched before, so maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

Interestingly, though, Shelby registered GT650 on 10/9/05 to cover cars, car parts and model cars.

I'm a little confused...which isn't very unusual.

I asked who Amy is because it seems like a lot of this notion that Shelby will produce the KR is based on a conversation 68fastback had with Amy (of Shelby). Is this correct?

If it is, then Amy is the source...not Shelby. And if I had a dollar for every time I had an assistant or receptionist unintentionally give out mis-information, I'd buy a GT instead of a GT500.

On the surface, it absolutely does not make sense for Ford to partner with Shelby in this way. And, frankly, it doesn't look to make sense for Shelby to do it, either. Ford is about volume and can make a great profit by pumping out a higher performance GT500 with the KR label. If you're Shelby, what a great way to make a decent profit with NO risk...just license the GT500KR label. Why make the easy money by licensing the GT500 name and not make the easy money licensing the KR name?

Obvioulsy, without knowing the details of the agreement between Ford and Shelby, this is all speculation.

How is Shelby doing a GT500KR any different than Shelby doing the GT-H (or the GT350 in the '60s). Ford ships them the cars and they do the fit-up in Las Vegas and ships them to Hertz.

Alternatively, they could take an owned GT500 and convert it into a GT500KR, like taking a base mustang and applying the CS6 kit (by customer or in Las Vegas).

Remember, Shelby owns ALL of the GT, GTnnn. GTnnnxx marques... so potentially I would think Ford would be flexible to work out whatever deal he wanted -- assuming he wants to do that at all.

Of course, Shelby could just license the GT500KR marque to Ford if that's what they both want to do. But I think the KR is a special situation give Amy's comments and history of the Ford/Shelby rift from the '60s. Just my opinion.

I'm a little confused...which isn't very unusual.

I asked who Amy is because it seems like a lot of this notion that Shelby will produce the KR is based on a conversation 68fastback had with Amy (of Shelby). Is this correct?

If it is, then Amy is the source...not Shelby. And if I had a dollar for every time I had an assistant or receptionist unintentionally give out mis-information, I'd buy a GT instead of a GT500.

On the surface, it absolutely does not make sense for Ford to partner with Shelby in this way. And, frankly, it doesn't look to make sense for Shelby to do it, either. Ford is about volume and can make a great profit by pumping out a higher performance GT500 with the KR label. If you're Shelby, what a great way to make a decent profit with NO risk...just license the GT500KR label. Why make the easy money by licensing the GT500 name and not make the easy money licensing the KR name?

Obvioulsy, without knowing the details of the agreement between Ford and Shelby, this is all speculation.

Just FYI. The Amy everyone is refering to is Amy Boylan: She is the President of Shelby Automobiles. She was named President either at the end of last year or beginning of this year.

Just FYI. The Amy everyone is refering to is Amy Boylan: She is the President of Shelby Automobiles. She was named President either at the end of last year or beginning of this year.

Now that would make her a good source... :shift:

How is Shelby doing a GT500KR any different than Shelby doing the GT-H (or the GT350 in the '60s). Ford ships them the cars and they do the fit-up in Las Vegas and ships them to Hertz.

Alternatively, they could take an owned GT500 and convert it into a GT500KR, like taking a base mustang and applying the CS6 kit (by customer or in Las Vegas).

Remember, Shelby owns ALL of the GT, GTnnn. GTnnnxx marques... so potentially I would think Ford would be flexible to work out whatever deal he wanted -- assuming he wants to do that at all.

Of course, Shelby could just license the GT500KR marque to Ford if that's what they both want to do. But I think the KR is a special situation give Amy's comments and history of the Ford/Shelby rift from the '60s. Just my opinion.

I view it as different because a GT-H is low-volume production by definition (e.g. how many does Hertz really want?...Certainly not 20,000). All the auto companies typically farm out low-volume modifications. On the otherhand, a GT500KR could be a big money maker for Ford and Shelby if produced in decent volume (e.g. 7-10k units/year). But, maybe you're right and there is no difference to the folks making the decisions.

I view the current generation Shelbys as totally different in all but name to the original GT350...maybe I'm wrong here, too--but I don't think so. To me, the GT500 and all that surrounds it is superb marketing on the part of Ford. I believe Shelby's actual input into the GT500 was marginal at best. At the end of the day, it's a licensing deal. The car is the next generation SVT Cobra Mustang with a new name...and look at all the attention it gets. Before you think differently, that doesn't mean I won't buy one...

>At the end of the day, it's a licensing deal. The car is the next generation SVT Cobra Mustang with a new name...and look at all the attention it gets.

I agree & posted the much the same a month or so ago on this forum. Shelby basically sold his name to Ford after attending a meeting or two perhaps checking in on a conference call with SVT/Ford officials. I suspect, with absolutely nothing to base this on other than a hunch, is that Shelby American retained the right to put SHELBY across the center of the decklid on its cars (check the Shelby V6) or that Ford wasn't willing to pay the additional cost for the "centering." (It wasn't because the letters won't stick!) Marketing contracts are legal documents and very, very specific. I also asked in the first post how much of the $42+K per vehicle for the Shelby GT500 is going to Carrol Shelby and/or his charities. Whatever it is, go Carroll!

I think we're really on the same page. I completely agree that the GT500 is virtually all Ford... engineering, production, marketing... and Shelby is largely a rented name, albeit an important one, with contractual consulting and review privledges, so to speak, all decided upon back when Ford re-issued the GT. I mean, Shelby is absolutely key to the GT500 being called a GT500 because Shelby owns the marques, etc and Ford recognizes the power of that and therefore has worked with Carroll for the better part of the last decade to undo the old rift and secure licensing. But we shouldn't underestimate the clout behind that licensing. Without it, there would be no GT, no GTR, no GTH, no GT500, no GT500KR, though Ford could certainly make those same cars and call them something else. And that's the point, I think, because Ford recognizes the exquisite power of the brand (Hemi being a great example) and is working that power very effecively as you point out.

I also agree that companies farm-out low volume work not worth doing in house and this might be what the GT500KR would be. A GT500KR has to be a high-water mark because of its history and heritage. Ford would be foolish to betray that. So it would have to be a step-up from the GT500, which is awesome to begin with for a factory-fresh car. That means more than power, I think... it has to be an impressive total package. If that's so, it has to cost considerably more and I don't think there's a market for 20,000 $50-55K GT500KRs (before ADM). So maybe it would be a Shelby exclusive series with volume of 500-3000 or so and try to capture the more exclusive historical Shelby marque.

Of course, if Ford and Shelby agreed to some other arrangement, so be it. But one thing is for sure, back when Ford completed negotiations with Shelby on contract licensing, which surely included specifically who gets to do what, if Carroll wanted one of the cars to be his (even though Ford would essentially do the engineering & build and Shelby Autos might just do simple flat-floor-line personalization, like the GT-H) it would be that way. Ford has no choice in the matter other than not having the marques! I think that's why Ford has so carefully and persistently cultivated Carroll's involvement as far back as when a re-issue FordGT was no more than an idea, including the Cobra-II prototype, Datona-II prototype, the 'stang GT, the GT-R, the GT-H, and the GT500. Because without Carroll's best-interests considered and his trust re-won, none of those marques could see the light of day. I completely agree that there's no way Shelby Autos is (or could easily become) geared-up to do any serious builds on their own in the same fashion as the 65-67 mustang GTnnn's. And even if they could, the cost would drive volumes into the ground.

What SA did/didn't negotiate with Ford is unknown to me, but surely is known to both parties, so even if the decision to do a GT500 has not yet been made (though I doubt that), I have little doubt that Amy knows what that is.

BTW, I JUST SPENT THE LAST HOUR TRYING TO FIND THE STATEMENTS BY SHELBY FOLKS ON THE MARQUES AND THE GT500KR. ALL THOSE STATEMENTS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN PULLED -- AT LEAST I CAN NO LONGER FIND ANY OF IT.

BTW, I JUST SPENT THE LAST HOUR TRYING TO FIND THE STATEMENTS BY SHELBY FOLKS ON THE MARQUES AND THE GT500KR. ALL THOSE STATEMENTS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN PULLED -- AT LEAST I CAN NO LONGER FIND ANY OF IT.

You noticed that to huh? Correct me if I have this wrong but the Hertz car is a GT with the FRPP packages and a minimal amount of body styling. I just can't see Shelby American having the resources to engineer, produce and build that car unless Ford stepped up and esentially gave them the backing. Not that that is a bad thing, just that they would not be anywhere near a California Special sort of price out the door. Hertz can amortize a greater buyin value and they can auction them off at the end for considerable residual. Look at the cost of the CS6 for crying out loud. 15k on a car that cost 20k? Without installation? Yes it is a major pile of kit but can you imagine what a warrentied GT500KR complete might cost? Cheaper to build a bespoke chassis without all the tradoffs made for a Mustang. (B4 you flame me that is what makes the Mustang such a great car. VALUE!) And with respect the last time they tried that it was a flat out disaster.

You noticed that to huh? Correct me if I have this wrong but the Hertz car is a GT with the FRPP packages and a minimal amount of body styling. I just can't see Shelby American having the resources to engineer, produce and build that car unless Ford stepped up and esentially gave them the backing. Not that that is a bad thing, just that they would not be anywhere near a California Special sort of price out the door. Hertz can amortize a greater buyin value and they can auction them off at the end for considerable residual. Look at the cost of the CS6 for crying out loud. 15k on a car that cost 20k? Without installation? Yes it is a major pile of kit but can you imagine what a warrentied GT500KR complete might cost? Cheaper to build a bespoke chassis without all the tradoffs made for a Mustang. (B4 you flame me that is what makes the Mustang such a great car. VALUE!) And with respect the last time they tried that it was a flat out disaster.

Yeah, right-on... I agree with ya on that. And I think the GTH was essentially a pot-sweetener for Shelby since since my understanding is that the deal with Shelby and Hertz was already struck before Ford sold Hertz, so Shelby gets 500 guaranteed sales and Herts gets the residuals on the aution -- nice win-win.

Archived