TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Transmission & Clutch & Flywheel installation

Grabber

TSB

08-16-4 SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: July 28, 2008

FORD: 2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS.

NOTE: THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART.

Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.

Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C.

Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit.

Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N-m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern.

Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01.

Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

7R3Z-6375-B Flywheel Kit

7R3Z-7L596-A Clutch Kit

7R3Z-7C391-A Trans Kit

XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant

XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON V-Transmission Fluid

PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid

XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease

TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant

TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer

F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing

1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

081604A 2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft, Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly, Pilot Bearing and, Flywheel Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003A3, 7003A6, 1007D7, 5212B) 7.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

6375 69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get a another new clutch assembly and another new flywheel within three months! Jeez, if this keeps up, I'll start thinking that I'm John Force! :happy feet: :hysterical:

I hope that everyone is noting that the TSB applies to all three model years of GT500's!

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

HA! That's a joke! Yeah, don't assume, KNOW that it does.

Sonny,

The TSB has specific instructions to replace the input shaft and syncros. How is the dealer to know that those of us with the new tranny don't need that done?

Good point ... maybe if you have no signs of clutch-drag and have the new tranny possibly they'd just honor your request not to open the tranny :shrug: ...seems like deal! ;)

Then again it's like the doctor that... oh, nevermind :hysterical:

Sonny,

The TSB has specific instructions to replace the input shaft and syncros. How is the dealer to know that those of us with the new tranny don't need that done?

OASIS will have been noted that your car was retrofitted with the 8500 transmission, and the bar code on the transmission will also show that it's a 8500 too.

But I recommend that you just go with the flow. If the dealer wants to tear down your 8500 and put the new input shaft and syncros in it, then let them. There is no harm in getting fresh parts especally if they are being replaced under warranty.

But odds are they won't because they will see that you already have the 8500 transmission.

OASIS will have been noted that your car was retrofitted with the 8500 transmission, and the bar code on the transmission will also show that it's a 8500 too.

But I recommend that you just go with the flow. If the dealer wants to tear down your 8500 and put the new input shaft and syncros in it, then let them. There is no harm in getting fresh parts especally if they are being replaced under warranty.

But odds are they won't because they will see that you already have the 8500 transmission.

+1...plus serial numbers won't match the car either.

I get a another new clutch assembly and another new flywheel within three months! Jeez, if this keeps up, I'll start thinking that I'm John Force! :happy feet: :hysterical:

I hope that everyone is noting that the TSB applies to all three model years of GT500's!

Do we know that? There are new clutch and flywheel part numbers...

if we already had the flywheel clutch and tranny replaced and there are no current symptoms, are they really going to put in the newer clutch and flywheel prior to additional problems?

John,

I think the key word in the TSB is: "Some".

It also says: "NOTE: THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED".

That's the difference between a TSB and a recall.

John, are you having any clutch chatter? A warped flywheel will cause that.

John,

I think the key word in the TSB is: "Some".

It also says: "NOTE: THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED".

That's the difference between a TSB and a recall.

John, are you having any clutch chatter? A warped flywheel will cause that.

i take note 1 as they will if further issues are diagnosed.

no chattering and no symptoms, so hoping all stays ok. that being said, I did have issues prior to the replacement, and now no symptoms and clutch moves much easier. And the old flywheel looked to be in great shape, so I am thinking that there are many things in play here, not just one.

no chattering and no symptoms, so hoping all stays ok. that being said, I did have issues prior to the replacement, and now no symptoms and clutch moves much easier. And the old flywheel looked to be in great shape, so I am thinking that there are many things in play here, not just one.

I hate to say it - I've had a little of the 1st-2nd grind, a little locking out of reverse, and the continued hissing when clutch is fully depressed. Though both my new flywheel and clutch are the older part numbers.

Good timing as mine is at the new dealer since the old one DUblin Ford- AutoNation was sold and will no longer be a ford dealership. Im having a few things repaired (wear on carpet under gas pedal, leaking brake MC, convertible topp seal issue) as well as the chatter and clutch engagement that is still present. I called this morning and they saw the TSB yesterday and have parts already on order. I told them that the clutch tranny was already replaced so they said they will call me to come in when the parts arrive to discuss next steps. Glad to see this old school dealer is being proactive. Maybe she'll be repaired properly for good this go around. I'll keep you posted on what gets replaced/repaired.

DH

TSB Clutch above, mine below...who knows what the difference is ??? and why ???

7R3Z-7B546-B

The use of improved materials for better heat dissipation. The main culprit in the clutch failures and the subsequent hard shift/grind has been identified as being caused by excessive heat buildup primarily in stop and go traffic conditions (as stated in the TSB). The new clutch and flywheel are manufacturered with materals that can absorb and dissipate that heat better and faster than what's in our cars now, and that includes cars that have reciently been repaired too.

The use of improved materials for better heat dissipation. The main culprit in the clutch failures and the subsequent hard shift/grind has been identified as being caused by excessive heat buildup primarily in stop and go traffic conditions (as stated in the TSB). The new clutch and flywheel are manufacturered with materals that can absorb and dissipate that heat better and faster than what's in our cars now, and that includes cars that have reciently been repaired too.

Thanks for the knowledge. Guess i'll just hang tough until this new clutch shows signs of failures. All is good so far.

• 3 weeks later...
I have now completed my first 100 miles on my new clutch and flywheel.

Impressions:

Clutch pedal is not loose anywhere, even at the top of the pedal. It's firm, but not stiff at all. It feels just right.

I have done the hiss test several times. No hissing in nuetral with the clutch depressed. This is good.

Starting out in first gear with low RPM's....there is no clutch chatter at all. Starting out in 1st gear with mid RPM's feels great too.

The shifting is very good at all RPM's. There is no bumping of the syncros or crunching feel. I can feel the shift go into the gear with a positive engagement. I am trying to explain what the shift feels like, and the best I can do is say that it feels like a silent click when it goes into gear. Like it was meant to be.

UPDATED IMPRESSIONS:

I have been out of town for a week on vacation, so my car has been sitting all week.

I went out to start it in my shop. Rolled both windows down so I could listen to the motor. Turned the key on and she fired right up. Left her in nuetral and listened. No whine and no hiss. Pushed the clutch pedal in and held it. Listened very carefully. No hissing at all. Did it a second time, and still no hissing.

Results: HISS TEST PASSED.

I then took the car out to a Driving Rally event. The driving was on winding twisty roads with alot of shifting. Many hairpin corners, and lots of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. The drive was 2 hours long up in the Oregon country back hills. I put a total of 160 miles on the new clutch and flywheel set up today. The performance was superb. The shifting was all smooth. Never bumped any syncros or missed a beat. The temp was 97 here today, so it was nice and hot.

RESULTS: I now have 260 miles on my TSB work and I could not be happier. :)

UPDATED IMPRESSIONS:

I have been out of town for a week on vacation, so my car has been sitting all week.

I went out to start it in my shop. Rolled both windows down so I could listen to the motor. Turned the key on and she fired right up. Left her in nuetral and listened. No whine and no hiss. Pushed the clutch pedal in and held it. Listened very carefully. No hissing at all. Did it a second time, and still no hissing.

Results: HISS TEST PASSED.

I then took the car out to a Driving Rally event. The driving was on winding twisty roads with alot of shifting. Many hairpin corners, and lots of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. The drive was 2 hours long up in the Oregon country back hills. I put a total of 160 miles on the new clutch and flywheel set up today. The performance was superb. The shifting was all smooth. Never bumped any syncros or missed a beat. The temp was 97 here today, so it was nice and hot.

RESULTS: I now have 260 miles on my TSB work and I could not be happier. :)

I wonder if Ford is willing to install the TSB flywheel and clutch assembly to a car that hasn't failed yet? It could save Ford many, many thousands of $ in the long run, doing the repairs before the transmission needs to be repaired. Could you please ask the question if you have a contact? I'm willing to have the work done to my car but my clutch/transmission has already been changed and it would make sense to do the repair before another failure.

Thanks