TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Transmission & Clutch & Flywheel installation

Grabber

It is my understanding that the new trannys only have the input shaft revised. Is that your understanding too ?

No, the new transmissions (including the one that has been installed in your car already) have much beefer gear sets and synchros too.

So you already got the fat shaft and beefy gears!! :hysterical:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, the new transmissions (including the one that has been installed in your car already) have much beefer gear sets and synchros too.

Wow,

I tried very hard to find out the details of the new tranny. I got hints from a friend that it was going to be rated for higher torque but I could not get anyone to confirm exact spec details so I never posted any info on it.

Mine is at the dealer as of today. It got there on a flatbed, though not because of the tranny. My car died on the road this weekend - had to call roadside assistance. The battery went dead. It's not getting a charge - probably the alternator.

The Ford 'field engineer' is scheduled to look at my tranny situation tomorrow once the alternator is replaced. I plan to be there. I definately have all the symptoms Grabber describes. The extended 3 second hiss after the clutch is fully depressed, grinding 1st to 2nd, and into reverse. Many times locked out of reverse. We'll see how this goes.

wow, I just took my first breath in over an hour since first reading this. My new tranny is sitting at the dealer, and I had visions of having to do this all over again with another upgraded tranny. thanks for the info

john

Well, 5K on the clock now and it's at the dealer getting the clutch issue looked at. I have a 2nd gear grind on occasion and notchiness that makes it a chore to drive. :banghead: From my original post the day I got her I have had concerns. They have only gotten worse. I hope the dealer will handle this in a way that gets the car fixed. A new tranny/clutch/flywheel (and good CSC!) would get me back to the happiness I had on first arrival. PM message to you Grabber.

DH

Good news is that they say they will be replacing clutch, tranny, and flywheel end to end. So, if that actually happens a few questions on correct current part #'s.

From Grabber's thread and others (I searched and now can't fin it all) Is the below the best/most current numbers to check for? They say 2 weeks but others are saying 8. Can anyone validate?

Flywheel part# 7R32-6375-AA

Lube # D2AZ-19590-A

Transmission# 8R3Z-7003-AC

2 Packages of clutch bolts# N808969-S100

Clutch Part#- ???

Thanks,

DH

Good news is that they say they will be replacing clutch, tranny, and flywheel end to end. So, if that actually happens a few questions on correct current part #'s.

From Grabber's thread and others (I searched and now can't fin it all) Is the below the best/most current numbers to check for? They say 2 weeks but others are saying 8. Can anyone validate?

Flywheel part# 7R32-6375-AA

Lube # D2AZ-19590-A

Clutch Part#- ???

Thanks,

DH

These are my parts as listed in post #1. The clutch might not be available yet, but have your parts guy try.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts084.jpg

Edited by Grabber

These are my parts as listed in post #1. The clutch might not be available yet, but have your parts guy try.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts084.jpg

Awesome thanks. So below would be the ideal replacements? Sounds like there could be another "beefier" tranny to come or maybe the 8R is it already. Wonder what they will use in the KR?!

Clutch Part#- 8R3Z-7B546-A

Flywheel part# 7R3Z-6375-AA

Lube # D2AZ-19590-A

Awesome thanks. So below would be the ideal replacements? Sounds like there could be another "beefier" tranny to come or maybe the 8R is it already. Wonder what they will use in the KR?!

Lube # D2AZ-19590-A

That tranny part that I gave you is the latest and greatest one. According to Sonny of GT....it's got the Beef. :hysterical:

I need some information. I took my 2007 GT500 (4-2007 build date) out for its first drive of the year. I had the tunes playing kind of loud and when I turned the radio down I heard a howl coming what seemed to be by the gear shift. I didn't know what it was so I pulled over to the side of the road and had the car idling with the transmission in neutral. When I would slowly start to rev up the engine the noise would get louder. When I depressed the clutch it made very little difference. The dealership was closed so I took it to a friend of mine who works in a truck shop, he thought it was the throw-out bearing. With the hyd. clutch do these turn all the time? What else could it be?

Edited by coldfront

my my how this thread has grown :unsure:

I can't hear very well but am starting to hear throw-out bearing noise on occasion. Gulp

I have 5600 miles on my car and drive it fairly regularly it might sit for 3 weeks at the most while I am away at work.

I bought the fancy ford warranty so I hope it doesn't wait to blow.

Could be just noise or could be getting close to shitting itself.

I have made about 15-20or so passes at the track... missed and ground second on my very last run.

I only hope my dealer is as nice as everyone else's. They were very nice when I bought the thing.

A recall would be the proper thing to do.

Edited by rsfdiver

I need some information. I took my 2007 GT500 (4-2007 build date) out for its first drive of the year. I had the tunes playing kind of loud and when I turned the radio down I heard a howl coming what seemed to be by the gear shift. I didn't know what it was so I pulled over to the side of the road and had the car idling with the transmission in neutral. When I would slowly start to rev up the engine the noise would get louder. When I depressed the clutch it made very little difference. The dealership was closed so I took it to a friend of mine who works in a truck shop, he thought it was the throw-out bearing. With the hyd. clutch do these turn all the time? What else could it be?

Can't say for certain without being there and hearing the noise directly, but to answer your question the throw-out bearing should disengage after you release the pedal.

You should not hear ANY noise coming from the transmission or clutch when the car is idling in netural and the clutch pedal is up.

Can't say for certain without being there and hearing the noise directly, but to answer your question the throw-out bearing should disengage after you release the pedal.

You should not hear ANY noise coming from the transmission or clutch when the car is idling in netural and the clutch pedal is up.

I like the 85th banner in your sig...any more info about it please....?

The Ford 'field engineer' looked at my car today and determined that the the tranny, clutch and flywheel assembly should be replaced. :dance:

I was easily able to demonstrate the continued hissing after the clutch is fully depressed. I was also able to demo the grinding going into reverse and while shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd. It was academic for the guy at that point. Spent a good deal of time talking with the guy on the subject. My car was his first to inspect, so he had done some research on the topic before coming out. It was a no-brainer for him. He had a Technical Service Detail that I read which describes the problem as we do, and recommends these changes. He had not heard about any other pending Ford announcement to address this, such as a recall, though I wouldn't have expected him to tell me if he did. An interesting thing on the TSD - it pointed out this problem may exist on GT500s built before 10/24/07 - not June as I've heard before.

All of the parts will be at the dealer by tomorrow, except for the tranny. I'm waiting for an estimate on that - I'm expecting weeks.

My parts list differed slightly. Mine listed the replacement clutch as 7R3Z-7B546-B instead of 8R3Z-7B546-A. My clutch bolts were also list as W712838-S424. Any ideas why?

Edit - I see they're not listing the new clutch with the nickel hub. I'm going to see what can be done. What about the bolts? What did they list above instead of N808969-S100?

Edited by GT500FLYBOY

I'm looking for some advice. I took my car to the dealer ship to have some mods done to the car that will most likey void my warranty. The car was build in sept 2006 and I have been following this topic close. The day I drove the car to the dealer I perform the clutch test and noticed when the clutch was in depressed fully there was a slight 2-3 second hiss then it would go away. I have not had any problems with shifting the car everthings been smooth. The car has about 3500 miles on it so when I dropped it off at the dealer I asked if they would look at the clutch and tranny to see if theres any problem before they did the mods and they did. Today I get a call and was told that the clutch is hanging up and they were told by ford to replace the clutch, flywheel, bolts, piot bearing and clean the input shaft and lube it but not to replce the tranny because theres not a problem with the tranny since it shifts fine. I tried to convience the dealer to push ford to replace the tranny and they said ford would not do that. The dealer feels everthing will be fine when there done and said they have don't about 3 of these like this and have had no problems. My concern is after the mods are done and if the clutch starts hanging up again they would not cover this again under warranty. This is a very repullable dealer and they do awsome work so I'm not sure what to do.

The car was build in sept 2006 and I have been following this topic close. The day I drove the car to the dealer I perform the clutch test and noticed when the clutch was in depressed fully there was a slight 2-3 second hiss then it would go away. I have not had any problems with shifting the car everthings been smooth. The car has about 3500 miles on it so when I dropped it off at the dealer I asked if they would look at the clutch and tranny to see if theres any problem before they did the mods and they did.

This is excactly how my car is performing. When it is cold it continues to hiss when the clutch is depressed for 2 -3 seconds. I have had no prolbems shifting yet, or reverse. Tick Tock Tick Tock .... I just don't think I can take any action with only a hiss?? Oh, here are a couple of other facts....May 07 build, and 1800 miles. Grabber has been very good resourse on this issue. Everyone keep the posts coming.

Thanks

SC

15000+ miles, 15+ quarter mile passes all on my Stage 3 KB - same transmission, clutch, and throwout bearing. My car was built in the second week of June 2007 (#123 of all coupes). I'm EXPECTING to change out the clutch, at the minimum, given the abuse I've given the car. The only problem I'm having is an axle bearing is starting to leak. Here too, I would expect this to give out given the 720 horses at the wheels. Other than that, she's purring like a kitten.

Regards to all,

FordGeek (Joseph)

Talked to SVT today. This is what the guy said to me.

The changes to the transmission are substantively a revised machining process to the input shaft so it is smoother. It is not polished as the various forums may suggest, nor are there beefier gears or synchronizers.

Talked to SVT today. This is what the guy said to me.

The changes to the transmission are substantively a revised machining process to the input shaft so it is smoother. It is not polished as the various forums may suggest, nor are there beefier gears or synchronizers.

I too was told it was smoother and that the syncros were not changed. Tremec told me this. Tremec used the word polished as a way of telling me it was smoother. They also told me the Spline groves were made a tad wider during the milling process. They said the "Pin diameter" was increased.

Lube # D2AZ-19590-A

OK I Just validated that the parts they have on order are the same as above except the Clutch is 7Z vs 8Z (explained by Grabber as not yet released) and the flywheel bolts are different with

part# W7128 38 S424 and addtl bolts F622 6379AA.

another tranny test.........

have the car running and in neutral with clutch out.......then try putting it in reverse without banging it or putting it in another gear first. It's hard to do. Is this normal??

Nope. That's may be an indication you have the problem. It is one of my symptoms.

another tranny test.........

have the car running and in neutral with clutch out.......then try putting it in reverse without banging it or putting it in another gear first. It's hard to do. Is this normal??

....that is a tell tale test too!!!

I did this with my car before my tranny and clutch were replaced and it would bump the syncros unless I would wait 3-5 seconds. Then it would go into gear great.

• 1 month later...

TRANNY UPDATE: :)

I have been out driving my car this evening. Man I love driving this car. It's so darn fun. :shift:

I now have 4200 miles on my car. 600 of those miles are on my new clutch and Tranny. The tranny is shifting like butter, and I my CSC bearing is still quiet at start up. :happy feet: My Short throw shifter is a freaking blast to shift. :happy feet:

• 4 weeks later...

I put another 75 miles on my car tonight. I now have 726 miles on the new set up. I have 4,313 miles on my car now. It shifts very smooth, with no syncro bumping at all. A real pleasure to drive.

I just did a quick detail on the car, and stuffed her in the shop.

th_CaliforniaSpecial105.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial106.jpg