TEAM SHELBY FORUM

July 2006 Car & Driver GT500 First Test

bill0754

something else to consider is the final drive ratio - 3.31 isn't a great gear to finish the quarter mile. Ford probably went with this gear for better gas mileage averages.

112 mph at the top end isn't great. Neither is the 11 mpg they got in their test loop. I hope this is a sick car for whatever reason.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is buggin' me.

I'm thinking back to my '03 Mach. I think that ran 0-60 in the high '4s. Even if that was underrated by 30hp - 500 hp and only 4.5? Something stinks in WhooVille.

running out to get yet another magazine.....yesterday hot rod....today car and driver....... I have to get to the bottom of this. I will be back with a report. Switching hats from Bring back the Boss board member to Someones slapping my Shelby in the Face Commity. :sos:

Most of what I've read about testing the Shelby has mentioned traction issues off the line.

Perhaps it needs more rubber?

I wonder if it would accept some 305's (if they make them?)?

Wheelspin = not fast. :shift:

This is buggin' me.

I'm thinking back to my '03 Mach. I think that ran 0-60 in the high '4s. Even if that was underrated by 30hp - 500 hp and only 4.5? Something stinks in WhooVille.

absolutely!

C & D tested an '03 Cobra - supercharged and 390 hp ran 4.6 to 60 mph and 12.5 through the quarter (112 mph if i remember).

Okay, Race Fans - this does it.

3.73's are goin' in. End of story. :shift:

I've got a snobby neighbor with a C6 - that is begging to get spanked. I will not let Carroll down.

Hot Rod magazine wrote that Ford engineers wanted 255 in back and Carroll insisted at least 285's so I think there is something up!!

1: Traction control

2: Traction off the line

3: Throttle by wire delay built in by Ford

4: Suspension maybe tuned more for road racing / not straight line

5: Gear selection set up road racing and fuel economy/ not straight line.

absolutely!

C & D tested an '03 Cobra - supercharged and 390 hp ran 4.6 to 60 mph and 12.5 through the quarter (112 mph if i remember).

No way. No way in hell C&D's drivers can get one to do that.

Guys. Wait til MM&FF gets ahold of it. Thats the end all right there. MotorTrend,Car and Driver both suck in terms of performance drivers.

They both state that the 2001 Cobra is good for "13.9".... Mine STOCK went at 13.6. Evan Smith from MM&FF (Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords) took the same car to 13.25. Now again, WHo has the crappy driver? MT and C&D.

I can get better times then they do... :shift::roses:

Now the MPG. How did THEY drive that "500" miles.... They must have started their MPG test before the 0-60 and 1/4 times were done. :party:

I wonder if Ford tweaked the engine or the chip in some way AFTER they gave C & D a car to test? The final 500 hp rating IS higher than the 450 hp they were claiming for some time. I'll bet they actually did their testing months ago. Hopefully, the stock production vehicle will have more power than the car they tested..... :shrug:

:doh: I'm wondering the same thing. when c & d drove the mule at 475 hp (est.) they estimated 12.5 @ 115 or better. Now we're at 500 hp. Still a let down, although they're tests aren't always the best. I still believe MM&FF will get 12.2-12.4. Something doesn't add up, they have the hp right but the psi at 8.5........questioning there facts here

No way. No way in hell C&D's drivers can get one to do that.

Guys. Wait til MM&FF gets ahold of it. Thats the end all right there. MotorTrend,Car and Driver both suck in terms of performance drivers.

They both state that the 2001 Cobra is good for "13.9".... Mine STOCK went at 13.6. Evan Smith from MM&FF (Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords) took the same car to 13.25. Now again, WHo has the crappy driver? MT and C&D.

I can get better times then they do... :shift::roses:

Now the MPG. How did THEY drive that "500" miles.... They must have started their MPG test before the 0-60 and 1/4 times were done. :party:

:rant: I'm sure you're right but we want to see good times from all mags..........we don't want to hear from a friend......." hey, I heard they only run 12.9 "

:rant:

What's funny is my buddy's 05 Saleen (www.ultimatemustangs.org) ran it's best of 12.5 @119......consistent high 12's at 115-117. Has a ProCharger but at it's delivered psi of 9. Gears were stock 3:55's, and tires were taller than stock making it worst. Something doesn't add here.

Here is an interesting site........... http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

Site is a list of the fastest production vehicles. Look what vehicles are where in the list and then draw your own conclusions.

:sos: Hmmmmm...............so a mag got 13.5 @ 103 out of a 2005 Mustang GT but now with 200-300 lbs more and 200 HP!!!, we only see a 12.9 BS !!!!!! This mag blows

Here's something else.

I do some freelance magazine writing and the mag has a 3 month lead time. Meaning I have to turn in my articles 3 months before the issue gets published.

This may account for part of this?

Yeah.........

I must say I was expecting 0-60 in 4.0 - 4.2,

and 1/4 mile in 11.9 - 12.2 range!!!

I know the Shelby GT500 has about 500lbs over the Vette C6,

but, with 100 extra hp!!!

I really thought testing the GT500 against a base Vette would be a waist of time,

but as it turns out, we didn't perform to it!!!

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! But, I'm a little disappointed........ :cry:

KingCobra.

I also think it may have had to do with the driver....

But the 112 trap makes me want to hurl, and it concerns me. A dead person should be able to pull (at least, I thought) 116 or better throught the traps, no matter how poor the driving/launch/et is.

The trap speed is my #1 concern. Where's the beef?

That trap is terrible for a car with that much HP, even considering the weight.

Trap speed is the true tale of hp, while ET's tell the tale of traction (or lack thereof). With the 500hp and a 3,920 lb car, I had previously predicted a 1/4 mile trap speed of 115 mph, so I'm surprised they only hit 112, unless it was a hot, muggy day or a really high elevation track.

not too impressive, but the production car is what should be tested.

Awhile back I threw in a time of 11.2 just to get some reactions. Most who responded thought 11.9 to 12.2 was the range. Although there is still so much that is not clear, one word says it all "WOW"

If you asked my mother-in-law to haul ass - she'd have to make two trips. You dig? :hysterical:

She was in the hospital last year. They had to move her to a different room.

The nurses came in (I, of course, was there...) and attempted to do the "grab the sheet and slide her onto a gurney" deal.

I was facing the window.

Then - for some unknown reason - I turned me head toward the bed.

Not only didn't their "sheet deal" work - the sheet came off - and I got a shot of her booty. :banghead:

That image is forever embedded in my mind.

Sure - go ahead and laugh. You weren't there.

If you asked my mother-in-law to haul ass - she'd have to make two trips. You dig? :hysterical:

She was in the hospital last year. They had to move her to a different room.

The nurses came in (I, of course, was there...) and attempted to do the "grab the sheet and slide her onto a gurney" deal.

I was facing the window.

Then - for some unknown reason - I turned me head toward the bed.

Not only didn't their "sheet deal" work - the sheet came off - and I got a shot of her booty. :banghead:

That image is forever embedded in my mind.

Sure - go ahead and laugh. You weren't there.

OMG Bryan that is hilarious!!!!

Only because I've been there with an older family member too and haven't been the same since. :doh:

WTF??? If it barely holds its own with a C6, imagine what kind of spanking a ZO6 would administer.

MotorTrend,Car and Driver both suck in terms of performance drivers.

But weren't the same sucky drivers also driving the C6?

Damn, I'm disappointed. :(

I cut .3 off the 0-60 time in my 350Z by changing gears from 3.55's to 3.91's.

And - I stopped smoking the tires when I went from 255x18's (Bridgestones) to 285x19s (Toyo TR1's).

Traction and gearing is what may need to be addressed.

I cut .3 off the 0-60 time in my 350Z by changing gears from 3.55's to 3.91's.

And - I stopped smoking the tires when I went from 255x18's (Bridgestones) to 285x19s (Toyo TR1's).

Traction and gearing is what may need to be addressed.

Hey Rufdraft - I gotta admit your new avitar is a huge improvement :hysterical:

The 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500 is an instant collectible unlike the Corvette.

They can be registered in the SAAC Directory which should be published in a few years. (It will be a separate book from the Cobras and GT40's)

That is what really matters to me.

Mike

They can be registered in the SAAC Directory which should be published in a few years. (It will be a separate book from the Cobras and GT40's)

Mike

+1 Mike

Mike

I don't buy cars to collect 'em; my expectations are more visceral.

I'm dissapointed that C&D used a pre-production car and having read on an earlier post they have a 3 month lead time on their reporting. Based on this, IMO this was an apples and oranges comparison. It would be hard for me to believe that the SVT engineers weren't just a little dissapointed in C&D's findings...AS MOST OF US ARE TOO!

I say keep the faith, and hopefully there is someone out there 'in the know' as to how some of these issues have been corrected and will be utilized on the production cars. It would be nice to hear from someone who has something factual regarding the performance enhancements that have been made based on lessons learned from the pre-productions cars...

ShelbyWise

I'm dissapointed that C&D used a pre-production car and having read on an earlier post they have a 3 month lead time on their reporting. Based on this, IMO this was an apples and oranges comparison. It would be hard for me to believe that the SVT engineers weren't just a little dissapointed in C&D's findings...AS MOST OF US ARE TOO!

I say keep the faith, and hopefully there is someone out there 'in the know' as to how some of these issues have been corrected and will be utilized on the production cars. It would be nice to hear from someone who has something factual regarding the performance enhancements that have been made based on lessons learned from the pre-productions cars...

ShelbyWise

Are you guys calling Hot Rod magazine Car & Driver? I went out yesterday and bought Hot Rod......Went out today looking for Car and Driver w/ article on Shelby. Nada nothing zip.

Are you guys calling Hot Rod magazine Car & Driver? I went out yesterday and bought Hot Rod......Went out today looking for Car and Driver w/ article on Shelby. Nada nothing zip.

orange(tungsten)snake...I haven't actually looked @ the C&D Mag all the hoopla is about. I do know for sure...as you do to...that the July 06 HOT ROD MAG is not a GT500 vs. Base Vet comparison. It is SHELBY ONLY and once again pre-production cars were used. The HOT ROD writers state they had the only 5 GT500 test mules in existence at the time of their testing @ California Speedway....which leads me to believe that too was a longgg time ago.

ShelbyWise

Archived