TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bought my Shelby!

SteelSteeds

Shouldn't drive it in the rain

lots of worky

If I didn't drive this car in the rain, I'd only get to drive it a few months per year! I live in Portland, Oregon, where if it isn't raining it must be August. My Shelby will see a lot of rain, and if that means I have a little extra work to keep it clean, so be it. My car will never be as clean as those members who only drive on sunny days, and that's okay with me. This car is a driver. An awesome driver.

Joker, I look forward to pix of your red/black car, that was my other choice of colors and I think it looks fantastic. As far as my impressions, I can't say enough. It's awesome. Compared to the '98 Cobra I traded, it definitely feels a little bigger and heavier. So far I've been impressed with the handling though, it's much firmer off the showroom floor than the '98 was. I made a lot of mods to the '98 to firm it up, but the Shelby doesn't cry out for improvement nearly as much. I thought I'd feel the weight imbalance, but I really don't. I haven't pushed it yet (85 miles on it as of this morning), and it will likely be more apparent when pushed, but it feels really well balanced in day-to-day driving. I'd like more adjustability, particularly in the steering wheel. I guess I have overly long legs, I have to choose to either have the seat back far enough for my legs, and have to reach farther than I want for the wheel, or move up to make my arms comfortable and have my legs cramped. Being able to slide the steering wheel out just a couple inches would make a world of difference.

There are a ton of features I'm loving, things I'm still discovering and smiling about. I am curious why Ford took a step backwards on the seat back release. On my '98, when you used the seat back release to gain access to the back, the seat returned to its previous position when you moved it back. On the new one, the seat back release is tied into the seat back adjuster, and when you sit down you have to readjust the seat back each time. Good thing I don't need to put anything/anyone behind the drivers seat often. Seems like it would have been easy to keep that feature...

As far as mods, definitely! I have a list started already. A short throw shifter is a must. I was used to the B&M Ripper shifter I had in the '98, which was very tight and firm. The Shelby shifter is better than the stock '98, but not as firm as the Ripper. I will be upgrading that soon. I love the sequential taillights that Five Oh B has on his car, and plan to do the same. After that, exhaust and intake. I had headers and Flowmasters on my '98, and absolutely loved the sound of it. I'm leaning toward Bassani for the Shelby, Putnamdo has those on his alloy '07, and they sounded great. I will do headers a bit down the road, but will probably start off with the axle backs, just to get some volume. The Shaker 1000 sounds great, but I prefer a healthy exhaust note!

Those are my definite plans as of now. I'm sure more will come as I progress!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and encouragement; this forum really rocks, it does feel like a big extended family. I don't have the thousands of posts that some of you have, but I read a lot and have been active on here for almost two years now. It's great to share all of this with so many like-minded friends.

Drive safe. :shift:

Nice SteelSteeds.

Thanks for the information and glad you get to enjoy your car before the weather turns really nasty up there.

I helped move a buddy up to Pullman for college one year back in the day.

Drove back by myslef with a freaking U-Hual trailer on the back of the truck through rain, snow, fog, hail, and black ice. All in one trip, one way.

Definately wouldn't want to drive the GT500 through that :D

GREAT Looking CAR.. Loved the Pics... looks like you two had a great time..

CONGRATS !!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

And yes you will have to post some of your own pics very soon. Its a Rule. :hysterical:

Thanks for the Driving impressions, it makes the wait a little more bareable for us who

will be getting there car in the near future.

The good times continue! Every morning I have the option of driving the Shelby, or my Bronco. I haven't started the Bronco since I got the Shelby. It was dry the last two days, but it's raining now while I sit here at work typing this, and yes, my GT 500 is sitting out in the rain. I say these things just to antagonize the overprotective owners reading this... :hysterical2:

Yesterday I played with the stereo for a long time, what a fabulous system! The sheer number of options is staggering, and the Shaker 1000 is capable of ear-bleeding volume.

As I drive more, the need for a better shifter is building in me. I really liked the precise feel of the Ripper shifter I had, and find myself annoyed when I grab the shifter and it feels all rubbery.

I'm still getting used to where the clutch in the Shelby engages, way up off the floor near the top of pedal travel. Another couple hundred miles and I won't even notice, but for now I sometimes bog it a bit. Okay, okay, yes, I killed it once yesterday... :banghead:

I hope to have the time to post more pictures soon. But, I only seem to have any spare time while I'm at work! Backwards, yes, but a little one month old seems to be running our house right now, and by the time I get home my wife expects me to take over! Hey, at least I posted one photo...

Oh, I also turned the traction control off for the first time yesterday and gave it the gas. I've never had tires smoke like that in my life. I only did it for about 2 seconds, and had smoke all over. Several of the employees in the department I manage were out in the alley, egging me on, and they were all cheering loudly afterwards. One of my coworkers in the office has now decided she needs to trade in her T-bird on a new GT, after sitting in my Shelby. Gotta love the Mustang!

It was dry the last two days, but it's raining now while I sit here at work typing this, and yes, my GT 500 is sitting out in the rain. I say these things just to antagonize the overprotective owners reading this... :hysterical2:

Stop pickin' on Snoop, would ya! :redcard:

:hysterical2:

So I live in the Portland area also, and I looked at the wet streets and went for a drive anyway :titanic::shrug:

So SteelSteeds in Portland and Grabber in Washington are you going to stick it out with no front plate? My son just got a ticket in his SVT Focus in Washington for driving his Oregon car there for no front plate. :angry2: even though special interest cars in Oregon are not supposed to need a front plate.

I meant to reply to this earlier, and forgot, but I intend to see how long it takes me to get pulled over for no front plate. If they make an issue of it, I'll buy one of those mounts that bolts on underneath the front. I have no intention of drilling holes in the front fascia. I don't like the idea of obstructing air flow where those plates mount, but if it comes down to paying a ticket or not...

Another pic:

post-2623-1192071765_thumb.jpg

Tucked safely in the garage, with my other 3 steeds.

post-2623-1192071765_thumb.jpg

All right, here is the promised picture:

post-2623-1192071241_thumb.jpg

I'm telling everyone that this is the closest she will ever get to driving this car. At least until they plant me...

That was all agreed upon when I swore you in during the Shelby GT500 Code of conduct oath.

SteelSteeds2008GT500033.jpg

Each day brings more... 125 miles on the clock today, and I got on it aggressively for the first time. I thought I knew what wheel hop meant before, but holy c***! It stayed in a straight line, but could have shaken fillings loose, and I wasn't even full throttle! This was with traction control on. I tried it with TC off, and found out just how much tire smoke the GT 500 can generate in just a couple of seconds. Quite impressive.

So, suspension improvements will definitely need to be made. I can't imagine launching at the strip with that kind of wheel hop.

I played around briefly over lunch with the shift light in the tach. Very cool! I'd forgotten about that feature until I found it in the message center menu. Now if I could only shut off the stupid upshift indicator light. I've ALWAYS hated those things. *I* will decide when to shift, and it's almost always going to be at a higher point than the "maximum fuel economy" point. I don't need a light on the dash to remind me! This is a performance car. How often is anyone likely to follow those guidlines??? :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow I am meeting up with SteelSteeds (Lance) for Lunch and a cruise in our cars. :shift: I called a couple of other members that are local.

Putnamdo has to work. :mellow:

BadTony (awatters) just had back surgery and is all layed up. :(

1bfdengineer says he can most likely make it. :happy feet:

I will call fast eddie and see if he can make it. :idea:

The weather today was 70+ and sunny here in Washington State and the outlook is the same for a few days.

I am looking forward to a good time with good friends and fast cars tomorrow - Sunday. :)

Will you have to worry about the cracked LCA bushing and take it easy?

I am going to the early Church Service and then spending some time under my car removing the LCA's so I can put in the new bushings that arrived a couple days ago.I am not sure when my replacement LCA's will show up and I want to drive the car. :shift:

I did not drive it today because of this. :banghead:

I am not going to lose another nice day! :)

Congrats Steel... :yahoo:

She's sexy as heck... :rockon:

Better get your order in now for your dash plaque...ask Grabber...it'll take a bit to get it.

But when people see it when the peer into the car, and they do peer...all the time...they just go crazy seeing it.

Wish I was up in that part of the woods...not many down here to go play with...maybe in the spring I can come up! :happy feet:

Tomorrow I am meeting up with SteelSteeds (Lance) for Lunch and a cruise in our cars. :shift: I called a couple of other members that are local.

Putnamdo has to work. :mellow:

BadTony (awatters) just had back surgery and is all layed up. :(

1bfdengineer says he can most likely make it. :happy feet:

I will call fast eddie and see if he can make it. :idea:

The weather today was 70+ and sunny here in Washington State and the outlook is the same for a few days.

I am looking forward to a good time with good friends and fast cars tomorrow - Sunday. :)

You didn't invite me? :cry:

I could be there by Wednesday. :hysterical2:

Will you have to worry about the cracked LCA bushing and take it easy?

JUst got all the bushing changed. Kind of a messy job. I will have photos later of the crack. It was clear onto the inside of the sleeve area. Good thing I changed them all. 8 pieces total. Got the correct 130# of torque this time.

Heading out now to meet Lance for a 1pm lunch and a drive. :happy feet:

Archived