TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Low and fluctuating fuel pressure

19 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Robert,

You do realize that the Fuel Lab gauge is also made by Marshall? Look at the bottom of the guage, its says Marshall. many large gauge companies private label for smaller companies.

Here is perhaps a better choice. Summit Racing Part#153009. This one appears to be a dry fill fuel pressure gauge, chrome bezel and housing, 1/8 npt center back mount. Black face/white letters and a red indicator.

here is the linky:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-153009

I would also call them and ask for the temperature rating, and ask whether the gauge had a clear plastic face, or glass face. For the price point it is at I would think it is probably glass. If plastic I would pass on it because if you get fuel or oil on it then it will likely cloud up. It also has a restrictor (orifice built in to the gauge to dampen pulsation).

VDO Gauges 153009 - VDO Mini Pressure Gauges

I also talked to Marshall (actually emailed back and forth), they said their dry gauge would be fine for under hood heat, he said many are mounted that way and also mentioned, as you pointed out , the liquid filled is not good under the hood. but they (Marshall) did not offer a dry gauge with a Black case, that was the issue.

I also should mention, in the Marshall email, he did not say "all" of their dry gauges work in under hood heat and he did not say which ones do or don't, I wanted a Black case for the "stealth" look and they did not have a dry gauge in a Black case, so that ended the conversation.

Also, the Fuelab gauges? Does Fuelab have a specific spec. for their Marshall made gauges that may be different for the common offerings from Marshall? IDK? They may be the same, but with a different name on the face.....or they may be built to specific Fuelab specs.? Right from the beginning it is interesting that Fuelab offers a 1.5 Dry gauge in a Black case, and Marshall does not........if all are made by Marshall......Also, the Marshall gauge is 0-100, the Fuelab 0-120........

It looks like it is out for delivery today, I will see how it looks......

R

Edited by Robert M

Ok, so the Fuelab gauge is in. I noticed that the Marshall information is no longer at the bottom of the Fuelab gauge. I called Fuelab a few minutes ago just to ask a couple of other questions. First, they have gone to a different vendor, he did not relay the vendors name to me. The Glass vs. Polycarbonite lens........He said yes, a glass lens is better but for the under $40 cost of these gauges, you will most likely not find a glass lens, infact he said that many larger gauges come with glass lenses, but he can't think of any vendors that offer a glass lens in these small 1.5" gauges. We discussed the poly lens longevity, he says that Fuelab sells 350-400 of these gauges per month and he usually has 5-8 warranty returns per year, he said the two main issues, is oil or other under hood chemical getting on that lens, but the main warranty issue is the two screws on the back loosening up, it happens rarely he said, but it does happen and that is usually why one would be returned under warranty.

001.jpg

One other thing the tech at Fuelab mentioned.......do a couple of rounds of Teflon tape on the threads before installing the gauge.

R

Edited by Robert M