TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So if you could get this -----

SLB8SNK

OK, so I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who says he works at a auto plant. (nice hypothetical) Anyways, he says when friends of theirs order cars, and they know the VIN they will track the car and do some extras? Like sound deadening, or better fit, or whatever they can, IF they can catch the build date and Identify the car. They say this happens in all plants to some extent. So here is my question, this guys tells me one of the things they do is add a second run of clear coat on the car. That in doing so it brings the color out and protects the paint even more? Does anyone have an opinion on the second run of clear coat? If you could get that done, would you? and at the factory level? For some reason I would think it makes sense, way more for a black car, just to get more protection and such but I find it hard to think they could do that and not trap in dirt and stuff between the coats? This guys works at Cadillac and builds the high end cars, but says they do it all the time.

So that is the question, if you could get a second coat or clear coat, would you? and why or why not?

I think one of our members got that special treatment on his GT500 with the extra coat of clear in the factory. I will let him tell the story if he wants to.

Not fair :banghead::banghead::banghead: Ok, well lets hope he does cause this will drive me crazy. Just knowing something like this CAN be done, or other favors are done, amazed me. Goes back to "it's who you know".

So whoever you are, I am holding my breath!! :dreamy:

Yes, absolutely, no doubt about it...GO FOR IT! Odds are your car will be tagged a "show car" which means that it will get pulled off the paint line and handled with extra TLC to get the paint to pop.

If you go to www.socalpinstriper.com, click on "enis' 07 Shelby" that's in the gallery and you will see my car's front bumper cover off of the car, and low and behold, on the backside of the cover, someone at the factory grease pen'ed " U3 SHOW CAR" on it. I do not have one bit of orange peel in my finish, and I never experienced any of the underhood paint issues that others here delt with about a year ago.

Yes, absolutely, no doubt about it...GO FOR IT! Odds are your car will be tagged a "show car" which means that it will get pulled off the paint line and handled with extra TLC to get the paint to pop.

If you go to www.socalpinstriper.com, click on "enis' 07 Shelby" that's in the gallery and you will see my car's front bumper cover off of the car, and low and behold, on the backside of the cover, someone at the factory grease pen'ed " U3 SHOW CAR" on it. I do not have one bit of orange peel in my finish, and I never experienced any of the underhood paint issues that others here delt with about a year ago.

This makes sense! I can see that, if tagged a show car. My worry was if it was just another pass through the booth for clear coat. But if they do "other" stuff to insure they make sure the car is clean, it makes sense.

Keep the comments coming, as again, I think I may be able to pull this off!

One "extra" I have always requested and received at a Ford plant is to have my vehicle be an "audit" vehicle. During production, and especially after production, the car is checked over very thoroughly. Anything out of spec is fixed at the plant. The audit results in the vehicle being driven, but I don't care about the added miles being put on, knowing the vehicle has been checked by the experts.

One "extra" I have always requested and received at a Ford plant is to have my vehicle be an "audit" vehicle. During production, and especially after production, the car is checked over very thoroughly. Anything out of spec is fixed at the plant. The audit results in the vehicle being driven, but I don't care about the added miles being put on, knowing the vehicle has been checked by the experts.

Now that sounds interesting.... I never head of that either. Like I said, it is who you know at these plants. I have many I know at GM (BOO) but only a few at the factory level at Ford, but do know a few higher up the food chain, so I am going to start rattling some chains and see if I get anywhere.... :snake:

Grabber, still waiting for our forum friend to come forward!! :dreamy:

Extra clearcoat is always worth it (if done right). You'd be amazed at how many coats show cars get. The more clear, the more it can be buffed without burning through. No orange peel. No micro scratches that always seem to show up on dark cars Etc...

See if they can make your carpet actually go all the way up the front firewall so you don't get that gap everyone has!

Extra clearcoat is always worth it (if done right). You'd be amazed at how many coats show cars get. The more clear, the more it can be buffed without burning through. No orange peel. No micro scratches that always seem to show up on dark cars Etc...

See if they can make your carpet actually go all the way up the front firewall so you don't get that gap everyone has!

Thanks Joe, like I said, just seeing if I can call in markers for now, and if so, I am building a list!! :happy feet: By the way, never heard back from you, any luck in OH? :banghead:

Thanks Joe, like I said, just seeing if I can call in markers for now, and if so, I am building a list!! :happy feet: By the way, never heard back from you, any luck in OH? :banghead:

Stay tuned til Monday. Your guy's been tough to get a hold of, then I was traveling 1/2 of last week on business.

Thanks guys. Like I said, I understand the advantages of getting more clear coat, I was just unsure of if doing it in the factory setting, by just running it back through, would be worth it? Issues like, would it cause dust or dirt to be sealed in between the coats? I have never been in the setting, but just I would imagine it would have to leave the booth, then come back around? or would they do it twice in a row? see what I mean? If anyone knows, or can visualize the process, that is what I am concerned with. Yes i agree, the more the better, however the process is almost more critical!

Not fair :banghead::banghead::banghead: Ok, well lets hope he does cause this will drive me crazy. Just knowing something like this CAN be done, or other favors are done, amazed me. Goes back to "it's who you know".

So whoever you are, I am holding my breath!! :dreamy:

Yes it can be done...I had few extras done on my 03 harley-davidson F-150 @ the KC plant...

Dans500

get my car dun i give you my vin# help out a friend buddy thanks scs1

Mine is a long shot... have to call in some markers from my fleet purchasing days... but I will tell you what, if I get this to go, and I can do more, I would surely do it. Now of course I can not do everyones ha-ha! :headspin:

NO EXTRA CLEAR FOR ME PLEASE: Most of our cars are not exposed to the elements every day cars are. Therefore our paint should last three to four times that of a daily driver. The biggest threat is other people for various reasons and then us for wax and buffing too much. Clear looks good with dept up to a certain thickness then uncontrollable things can start to happen such as cracking, shrinking and hazing or dulling out. During scratch and dent repair, quality priming and block sanding becomes more critical because there would be more low spots to even out so that the wobbles don't show.

Another reason is sooner or later (hopefully later) some of our cars will have to be repainted. (some have already) and then you will have another 3- 4 coats of clear and the millage will be at it's maximum debt.

NO EXTRA CLEAR FOR ME PLEASE: Most of our cars are not exposed to the elements every day cars are. Therefore our paint should last three to four times that of a daily driver. The biggest threat is other people for various reasons and then us for wax and buffing too much. Clear looks good with dept up to a certain thickness then uncontrollable things can start to happen such as cracking, shrinking and hazing or dulling out. During scratch and dent repair, quality priming and block sanding becomes more critical because there would be more low spots to even out so that the wobbles don't show.

Another reason is sooner or later (hopefully later) some of our cars will have to be repainted. (some have already) and then you will have another 3- 4 coats of clear and the millage will be at it's maximum debt.

Not sure I get what you mean? What difference is it if it is a daily driver or not? I am not talking about 10 coats of clear, just adding one, MAYBE two at the factory! Can that really cause what you say??????

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure I get what you mean? What difference is it if it is a daily driver or not? I am not talking about 10 coats of clear, just adding one, MAYBE two at the factory! Can that really cause what you say??????

Most of our cars are garage kept and not subjected to the harsh elements of weather, driving and road grime etc... The more crap you get on your car the more you have to do to polish it off and the more clear you remove in the process. oxidation is the clear coat slowly breaking down. Not seen to be as advanced on a garage kept car so the debt of clear should remain fairly thick. An extra coat of clear would be fine if you knew the car would never have to be painted?? Today's paint materials are a lot more forgiving than paint from years ago and last a lot longer. When repairing low spots with primer, the deeper the area to fill the more material you need to apply and the more (at least twice) you have to prime and block sand. Older cars that get repainted that have already been painted ofton show ripples and waves down the side, even with a seasoned body repair man doing the repair. The thicker the coats of paint,primer and sealers the harder it is to make it really look good.

I know absolutely nothing about the paint line so this is all speculation. It is hard, however, for me to believe that people can get away with "running it through for a second coat" very often without explanation. I would imagine that the companies keep pretty strict controls on materials and time on the line.

I know that "getting special treatment" is a goal for many people because it is like its close cousin "getting something for nothing".

I would rather do everything above board. Does Ford offer a special paint package? For me, if the answer is no, and I wasn't satisfied with the normal paint job, I think I would rather find a body shop to get the finish to be acceptable. Naive? - guilty as charged. One thing to consider, do you trust someone who is, in essence, breaking their trust with someone else (Ford) by offering this favor or service?

Just my personal opinion - free and worth what you paid to get it :hysterical2:

Most of our cars are garage kept and not subjected to the harsh elements of weather, driving and road grime etc... The more crap you get on your car the more you have to do to polish it off and the more clear you remove in the process. oxidation is the clear coat slowly breaking down. Not seen to be as advanced on a garage kept car so the debt of clear should remain fairly thick. An extra coat of clear would be fine if you knew the car would never have to be painted?? Today's paint materials are a lot more forgiving than paint from years ago and last a lot longer. When repairing low spots with primer, the deeper the area to fill the more material you need to apply and the more (at least twice) you have to prime and block sand. Older cars that get repainted that have already been painted ofton show ripples and waves down the side, even with a seasoned body repair man doing the repair. The thicker the coats of paint,primer and sealers the harder it is to make it really look good.

Makes some sense, but I think the plus sides out weight the possibilities you mention. I am looking at the every day issues, not so much the if I ever need to repaint something. I would hope that not to be the case. I have always heard that guys who do custom paint jobs always get or put extra clear coat on for a better shine, longer lasting finish, and more depth of color. Not having my car in direct sun all day every day will help with oxidation, which by the way only appears to be an issue in extreme cases of sun exposure. I appreciate your comments and opinions, but I think I will go with the majority here and state that if I can get this, it is the way to go! Way more good than bad thus far based on consensus!

Archived