TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New AGM battery from Odyssey

Well, after my Walmart battery died, I was on the hunt for a new battery. A good friend of mine recommended Odyssey batteries, and it happens that they just released a new AGM battery that will fit GT500s. My battery arrived extremely well packaged, and fully charged. Made in USA, and it looks beautiful! The stock blanket and everything else fit perfectly. Car fired right up, and no issues observed. Thanks Odyssey!

I would post pics, but the file size cap prevents me from uploading the nice high res pictures!

• 3 months later...

Can someone please post the advantages of an AGM battery. I'm not seeing it, especially after finding out that they are over $250 and weigh 40+lbs.... That's double the price and 5+ lbs more than a conventional battery. 

:lurk:

Edited by Secondo

16 hours ago, Secondo said:

Can someone please post the advantages of an AGM battery. I'm not seeing it, especially after finding out that they are over $250 and weigh 40+lbs.... That's double the price and 5+ lbs more than a conventional battery. 

:lurk:

I have not done any research on the AGM batteries.........All I can say is I see $200+ for a AGM battery with a 3 year (or so) advertised warranty and I can go to my local Ford dealership parts department and buy a properly fitting Motorcraft replacement for my GT500 with a 3 year full warranty (swap out) and beyond that to 100 month prorated warranty, all for approx. $125 (with core).

Unless there is something magic that I am not aware of, like super light weight or "known to last well beyond the 3 year advertised warranty" of the AGM, I don't know what the advantage(s) are? CCA?.......My original assy. line installed Ford Motorcraft battery and the correct 100 month Motorcraft replacement have worked fine for the CCA needs of my 725 Super Snake here in hot steamy Florida......

I too would like to hear more from personal experience for AGM battery longevity........If it is just "hype", and three years or so from now it will be time to revisit another battery purchase, that is an awful expensive bandwagon to hop on IMHO.....

R

I will stick with Motorcraft. I got nearly 8 years out of my battery in my 2008 SGT. I also used a Trickle charger to maximize battery life. All my othe rmotorcraft Batteies lived well past the warranty.

Through the magic of "The Google"........ courtesy of Lifelinebatteries.com and for those with questions about AGM Batteries vs Lead Acid Type Batteries here ya go:

Pros & Cons Of AGM Batteries

Absorbent glass mat batteries (AGM) have been a market favorite for the past few decades. At the time, they were designed to be a viable alternative to the Ni-Cad batteries, which were very costly. Though they were mainly used in military vehicles as a source of back up power and heavy vehicles such as long-distance trucks, nowadays, they have more diversified uses. In principle, the AGM batteries work like any other lead battery. However, the AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, have several significant improvements that make them more efficient. Additionally, just like other types of batteries in the market, they have their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of AGM

1. They are spill-proof

Unlike the traditional lead-acid batteries that freely flood their electrodes, AGM batteries have glass mats that prevent this. Additionally, it is the function of these glass mats to avoid spillage. Rather than absorbing the electrolyte, the glass mats work by holding the electrolyte in place, preventing it from spilling over, even when the battery is placed in odd positions.

2. They have a high-power output.

Because of the way that they are designed, the AGM batteries have minimal internal resistance. This, therefore, enables them to provide sufficient bursts of power when necessary, such as when one needs to start a battery. Due to this feature, these batteries respond better to loading than any other battery on the market.

3. They have a short charging time.

AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, charge quickly. When compared to flooded batteries of a similar capacity, the charging rate can reach five times faster with the same power source.

4. They have a longer lifespan

AGM batteries have a longer lifespan than traditional flooded batteries. Moreover, not only do they serve for a more extended period when they perform the same tasks, but they also last longer when they are not in active use. This is because self-discharging is minimized in these batteries, unlike other types of batteries, which is a huge problem. This ensures that one does not have to keep charging them after an extended period of inactivity.

5. They are durable.

These AGM batteries were originally designed to serve the aircraft industry. This means that they have a sturdy design, one that can handle conditions of intense vibrations, just like those in military and commercial aircraft. Because of this property, they are a favorite for high-end motorcycle riders and race car drivers. The sandwich construction method adopted in their design ensures that their internal components do not fall apart. Moreover, they are invulnerable to the subsequent wear and tear that may result from frequent and continuous vibrations. Furthermore, they can withstand extreme temperature variations.

6. They are unlikely to build up sulfation

Sulfation is the property of lead-acid batteries, where there is a gradual accumulation of lead sulfate crystals in the cells. In most cases, it is the cause of failure in lead-acid batteries. Sulfation mostly occurs when the battery is not fully charged, and thus the crystals continuously build up on the plates. When this process goes out of hand, it prevents the efficient conversion of chemical to electrical energy. Therefore, for other types of lead-acid batteries, it is essential to charge them every six months to prevent sulfation. However, in AGM batteries, sulfation is significantly reduced. Therefore, they can be stored for extended periods without needing a recharge.

Despite their many advantages, AGM batteries, just like other lead-acid batteries, also have their disadvantages. These include:

1. High production cost

Unlike the flooded batteries, AGM batteries have a higher production and manufacturing cost. However, they are still cheaper to produce than gel type batteries. Even though the cost of manufacturing these batteries has reduced since their introduction into the market in the 80s, it is still generally higher when compared to other battery types in the market. This, therefore, make them slightly expensive for use in some devices.

2. Energy issues

While these AGM batteries have a high-power output, they have a low specific energy. Generally, it is a necessity for batteries that are required to run for a long time under a moderate load to have a high specific load. This means that these batteries cannot be used on several devices.

3. Reduced capacity over time

Though AGM batteries keep a charge for a longer time than other batteries, they gradually reduce their charging capacity over time. This is unlike gel batteries that have an advantage in this sector because of their excellent performance dome.

4. They are sensitive to overcharging

These AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, have a low tolerance to overcharging and high voltages. If they are subjected to these conditions, it shortens their life span.

For more information on AGM batteries and other types of batteries, visit our website (https://lifelinebatteries.com/), where we offer valuable information on various types of batteries and which battery works for you.

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

I will stick with Motorcraft. I got nearly 8 years out of my battery in my 2008 SGT. I also used a Trickle charger to maximize battery life. All my othe rmotorcraft Batteies lived well past the warranty.

Through the magic of "The Google"........ courtesy of Lifelinebatteries.com and for those with questions about AGM Batteries vs Lead Acid Type Batteries here ya go:

Pros & Cons Of AGM Batteries

Thank you MHR, I saw that article too but still not convinced of the advantage over a standard wet battery so I'd thought I'd ask the couple of people here who said that they wanted one. 

THIS....

4. They have a longer lifespan

AGM batteries have a longer lifespan than traditional flooded batteries. Moreover, not only do they serve for a more extended period when they perform the same tasks, but they also last longer when they are not in active use. This is because self-discharging is minimized in these batteries, unlike other types of batteries, which is a huge problem. This ensures that one does not have to keep charging them after an extended period of inactivity.

and THIS....

3. Reduced capacity over time

Though AGM batteries keep a charge for a longer time than other batteries, they gradually reduce their charging capacity over time. This is unlike gel batteries that have an advantage in this sector because of their excellent performance dome.

^^^^^These two statements don't seem to match up? Do the AGM batteries offer the length of prorated warranties that are included with the flooded batteries? If they have a longer lifespan, the AGM manufacturers should have no problem with the long term "warranty gamble" for their batteries. Like I said, 100 Month (prorated after 36 months) for my oem Motorcraft flooded.....

From the two statements above, the AGM stores better (unused) or like many of our situations, the car sits for an extended period of time and we all know how quickly the flooded battery will drain without a tender, BUT.......at some point, the AGM charging capacity will be reduced and at that point (unknown), it will be called upon for duty and not perform.....

I do like This.....

1. They are spill-proof

Unlike the traditional lead-acid batteries that freely flood their electrodes, AGM batteries have glass mats that prevent this. Additionally, it is the function of these glass mats to avoid spillage. Rather than absorbing the electrolyte, the glass mats work by holding the electrolyte in place, preventing it from spilling over, even when the battery is placed in odd positions.

R

Edited by Robert M

My OEM battery had corroded the negative terminal clamp, so my main motivation for buying an AGM tyoe is to reduce the chances of corrosion on the battery terminals with it being completely sealed. I don't expect the the risk to be zero, but might be better than standard lead-acid types.

18 hours ago, 6-Speed said:

My OEM battery had corroded the negative terminal clamp, so my main motivation for buying an AGM tyoe is to reduce the chances of corrosion on the battery terminals with it being completely sealed. I don't expect the the risk to be zero, but might be better than standard lead-acid types.

My 2008 had it's oem assy. line Motorcraft for just over 3 years (new in 2008), a 100 month Motorcraft replacement that crapped out at about 5 years and was prorated with a replacement 100 month Motorcraft for $55 and I have not had that issue, my original 2008 terminals still look new. <<<Knock on plastic!!

Now I can say that one of the Motorcraft replacement batteries that I installed in my 1997 Ranger does have a leaky area around the positive post and has caused corrosion, but that was not the norm with the many Motorcraft batteries that I have purchased over the years........

I have read that leaks around battery posts among all of the flooded battery brands is not real common, but it does happen from time to time.

R

19 hours ago, 6-Speed said:

Thank you 6-Speed. I knew there had to be a good reason that you wanted one because you've always posted useful information.  

I actually bought it because it looks cool with the orange top 😎.  Got it installed today. I had to buy a smaller heat shield cover for the new battery because my car came with the larger BXT-40R. Some of the GT500s came with the smaller BXT-96R and therefore have the smaller heat shield that will fit the Odyssey 96R-600 battery. The Ford part number for the smaller heat shield is AR3Z-10A687-A; got it from Amazon for about $24. As a bonus the battery is made in the USA.