TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Shelby Best Waxes/Polishes

Ok guys and gals(that means you too sexystang). What do you use or think

is the best product to wax/polish your Shelby or Mustang ?

Give me your advice from the experience you've had in what you think

works best and provides the best protection/shine, especially for black paint.

Also, what kind of mit/cloth do you think is best when soaping up the car

in an effort to avoid swirl marks ?

I can use all the input I can get

Thanks,

ItalianStallion

07ShelbyGT500and1968Mustang007.jpg

07ShelbyGT500and1968Mustang008.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok guys and gals(that means you too sexystang). What do you use or think

is the best product to wax/polish your Shelby or Mustang ?

Give me your advice from the experience you've had in what you think

works best and provides the best protection/shine, especially for black paint.

Also, what kind of mit/cloth do you think is best when soaping up the car

in an effort to avoid swirl marks ?

I can use all the input I can get

Thanks,

ItalianStallion

]

Stallion

I have talked to many who have tried Turtle Wax ICE. They swear by it including my brother who has a new black Rousche pick-up. My GT500 is white, but I have heard so many good things about the ICE that I am going to apply it today as a matter of fact.

It claims it can be applied in direct sunlight, has no white residue on plastic surfaces and makes a brilliant high gloss shine. I never really liked Turtle Wax products I always found somehing better over the last 25 years, but this new liquid polish is supposed to be the best. Please let me know if you try and find something better.

Good Luck.

PS: The first Rocky film was the best one.

I initially put Klausse Paint sealant on the car, to seal the paint after claybarring. And now I regularly apply Ice Polish. It is very easy, no multiple steps like Zaino and it works on the plastic trim as well.

You put ICE on the decal too? On my old Mustang I never waxed the decal stripe because I was told it would ruin it. Is this a possible problem with Turtle Wax ICE?

Z A I N O

F#$% Zaino.;-) I already bought Ice. My brother told me it is good and doesn't ruin the clear coat either.

F#$% Zaino.;-) I already bought Ice. My brother told me it is good and doesn't ruin the clear coat either.

Everything will ruin the clearcoat if you apply it wrong...

ItalianStallion, See post #1 of this thread http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9802. I also swear by Zaino and top it off with a good wax like Meguire's Gold for added protection. Yes, it's steppy but the results are simply incredible!

ItalianStallion, See post #1 of this thread http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9802. I also swear by Zaino and top it off with a good wax like Meguire's Gold for added protection. Yes, it's steppy but the results are simply incredible!

OK, thanks 69deluxe. I'll check out the thread. Seems like ZAINO is the way to go.

This Tuesday I will be bringing the Shelby to the Ford dealer to apply the interior fabric protector

and exterior paint protection. This paint protection is the item that Ford uses. Is this different than

ZAINO ?

Your pair of Mustangs look beautiful.

Z A I N O

Italian -

First off, Nice color combo...Same as mine, It will never been clean!!! I tried the Turtle Wax Ice product first, I applied it in my garage which is climate controlled (Figuring Better Results Than In The Sun) 1st coat fine, Second coat...I don't think it ever came off just smeared around, I had to finish with thier touch up spray...Was not happy, I figure it's not for black cars.

Next up Zaino!...Striped off the Turtle Wax with Dawn, The Z-5 went on well, The Z-2 was a little more effort even after applying the spray (Z-6 Gloss Enhancer) between coats, The effort was worth it...This is the only product to use, Especially on a black car in my opinion...I don't want to drive it it looks so good!

P.S. - Use lots of cotton towels, big black ones (Less White Lint) and did I say alot of them?...Flip them over or use another after a short time...I think that might of been my problem with the Turtle Wax, Build up on my towels.

Stallion

I have talked to many who have tried Turtle Wax ICE. They swear by it including my brother who has a new black Rousche pick-up. My GT500 is white, but I have heard so many good things about the ICE that I am going to apply it today as a matter of fact.

It claims it can be applied in direct sunlight, has no white residue on plastic surfaces and makes a brilliant high gloss shine. I never really liked Turtle Wax products I always found somehing better over the last 25 years, but this new liquid polish is supposed to be the best. Please let me know if you try and find something better.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the input. Like yourself, I have tried many different waxes/polishes over the years

and have realy only liked but a few. I have been wanting to try the ICE, but have not yet.

Like I mentioned to 69deluxe, In a couple days, I am bringing my Shelby back to the Ford

dealer for their paint protection/fabric protection package. Ford claims the paint protection package

is good for 5 years and will seal the paint better than wax. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ItalianStallion

I would not seal the paint with the dealer protection if you are going to apply a polish

The dealer protection is for owners that do not want to spend the time to wax or polish their cars

OK, thanks 69deluxe. I'll check out the thread. Seems like ZAINO is the way to go.

This Tuesday I will be bringing the Shelby to the Ford dealer to apply the interior fabric protector

and exterior paint protection. This paint protection is the item that Ford uses. Is this different than

ZAINO ?

Italian -

First off, Nice color combo...Same as mine, It will never been clean!!! I tried the Turtle Wax Ice product first, I applied it in my garage which is climate controlled (Figuring Better Results Than In The Sun) 1st coat fine, Second coat...I don't think it ever came off just smeared around, I had to finish with thier touch up spray...Was not happy, I figure it's not for black cars.

Next up Zaino!...Striped off the Turtle Wax with Dawn, The Z-5 went on well, The Z-2 was a little more effort even after applying the spray (Z-6 Gloss Enhancer) between coats, The effort was worth it...This is the only product to use, Especially on a black car in my opinion...I don't want to drive it it looks so good!

P.S. - Use lots of cotton towels, big black ones (Less White Lint) and did I say alot of them?...Flip them over or use another after a short time...I think that might of been my problem with the Turtle Wax, Build up on my towels.

Thanks 07Shelby!! Seems like Zaino is the way to go. I'm use to the elbow grease, if it pays off.

Yea... I've noticed some items work better on black than others. I know what you mean about

the black cotton cloths...good reminder.

Where abouts you in MO ?

ItalianStallion

Italian,

I am a sales manager at St.louis Dealership near you. Please cancel your paint package and get your money back. YOU DO NOT WANT SOME PART-TIME HIGH SCHOOL KID TOUCHING YOUR BLACK CAR..... Thats what the dealership porters are. They are not professional detailers and they will scratch your paint. Dealership porter + Black Shelby = swirl marks and burn out marks behind the dealership.

Thanks 07Shelby!! Seems like Zaino is the way to go. I'm use to the elbow grease, if it pays off.

Yea... I've noticed some items work better on black than others. I know what you mean about

the black cotton cloths...good reminder.

Where abouts you in MO ?

ItalianStallion

Branson, MO

Everything will ruin everything. Getting the brake dust off this car is a challenge. Probably don't notice it on the dark colored cars? Not sure if they sell Zaino in Nevada? Haven't seen it? Is it just a hayseed area product?

Italian,

I am a sales manager at St.louis Dealership near you. Please cancel your paint package and get your money back. YOU DO NOT WANT SOME PART-TIME HIGH SCHOOL KID TOUCHING YOUR BLACK CAR..... Thats what the dealership porters are. They are not professional detailers and they will scratch your paint. Dealership porter + Black Shelby = swirl marks and burn out marks behind the dealership.

Ford claims this process will fill and seal everything so no swirls are likely.

:banghead:

????????

lazy one step wax- use nxt mequires or liquid lustre if you can find it. got time and effort. use the 3 step mothers wax. it comes out unbelievable and is much cheaper than zaino!!!!!! i have a black car and just california dust the car and use mothers quik detail spray for smudges/bugs or road tar. have 750 miles on the car and the paint looks fantastic. i am a big believer of not washing the car at all if you can avoid rain and then wax the car before storage. just my 2 cents worth.

post-5661-1185650496_thumb.jpg

post-5661-1185650496_thumb.jpg

lazy one step wax- use nxt mequires or liquid lustre if you can find it. got time and effort. use the 3 step mothers wax. it comes out unbelievable and is much cheaper than zaino!!!!!! i have a black car and just california dust the car and use mothers quik detail spray for smudges/bugs or road tar. have 750 miles on the car and the paint looks fantastic. i am a big believer of not washing the car at all if you can avoid rain and then wax the car before storage. just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks kincobra !! Bad A$$ looking shelby. By the way, Rush Rocks !! , greatest Canadian export.

07Shelby016.jpg

ItalianStallion

Thanks kincobra !! Bad A$$ looking shelby. By the way, Rush Rocks !! , greatest Canadian export.

07Shelby016.jpg

ItalianStallion

thanks italian stallion,you must be of italian backround like me!!!! i love your red stripe option gt500.that would have been my choice too,but not offered in nov 2006 when i put my order in for my colour. my car would be easy to convert though as i have the same interior (red/black) as you. just would have to add red stripes and red emblems/red cobra floor mats. :hysterical2: i will just leave it as it is now. p.s.- yes RUSH does rock,i have seen them 3 times in concert.

post-5661-1185651597_thumb.jpg

post-5661-1185651597_thumb.jpg

ZAINO ?

Thanks! :beerchug:

As Bhuzz77 said, please cancel the dealer applied paint protection! That might be a nice idea for somebody who bought an ordinary daily driver. You definitely want to do the job yourself. The most important thing to do is get a good basecoat now. Don't cut corners because it will make your life easier when you go to clean it up later. If you're not sure how to do the claying process, then try it first on your daily driver. Just use lots of lubricant. I experimented with my crappy import by dividing the hood into three areas after washing it. On area#1, I used the clay, then waxed. On Area #2, I didn't clay, but just waxed. On area #3 I didn't do anything. Afterwards I asked my wife which part felt better. She immediately chose the clayed area!

Good luck and have fun bonding with your ride.

Everything will ruin everything. Getting the brake dust off this car is a challenge. Probably don't notice it on the dark colored cars? Not sure if they sell Zaino in Nevada? Haven't seen it? Is it just a hayseed area product?

To my knowledge Zaino can only be bought online at zainostore.com. I bought the clay and lubricant (Speedshine) from Griot's. Customer service is excellent for both places.

I have a white w/blue as well. (the fastest color :happy feet: ) When I got mine, I clay-barred it with Mothers Clay Bar, did the Meguiars 3 step and now have 4 coats of ICE paste. I use the ICE detailer and ICE liquid after every other Mr. Clean filtered car wash by hand (we have really bad water here). I use the ICE on all the rubber and plastic under the hood as well, it really details it out nice.

The clay bay and Ice paste (on by hand, off with buffer) brings the finish to a completely different level. It looks and feels nothing like a Ford finish.

You won't be sorry.

I have a white w/blue as well. (the fastest color :happy feet: ) When I got mine, I clay-barred it with Mothers Clay Bar, did the Meguiars 3 step and now have 4 coats of ICE paste. I use the ICE detailer and ICE liquid after every other Mr. Clean filtered car wash by hand (we have really bad water here). I use the ICE on all the rubber and plastic under the hood as well, it really details it out nice.

The clay bay and Ice paste (on by hand, off with buffer) brings the finish to a completely different level. It looks and feels nothing like a Ford finish.

You won't be sorry.

TS,

Do you see a difference between the Ice paste with the buffer and the Ice liquid in between?

Stallion

Good Luck.

Please let us know what you think of the ice when your done.

TS,

Do you see a difference between the Ice paste with the buffer and the Ice liquid in between?

After I had 3 or 4 coats built up, I didn't really notice, the liquid was very easy to put on and take off. The car doesn't get driven in the rain, so no real harsh conditions exist to remove the wax. After a Mr. Clean hand wash or two I put the liquid on to help keep the bugs coming off the leading edges easy....and believe me, they fall off with a soap as gentle as Mr. Clean's is, and no hard rubbing at all. If this keeps working, I'll probably put on the paste about 3 times a year, and use the liquid every couple of washes, at least while the bugs are still out in force. Of couse if I don't slow down flying any...I won't have to worry about it, cuz I won't be home. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

After bringing mine home from the dealer I washed once with Dawn to remove whatever the dealer put on, then again with regular car wash. Then clay-barred it, polished with Meguiar's deep crystal polish, then NXT tech wax. I've detailed once more since then (only about 4 weeks afterwards) and that time I applied two coats of NXT tech wax and final coat of Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (Carnauba + silicones and polymers). Not sure all that was necessary, but it does look nice now. (Much better than when I brought it home) I use a calif duster and then Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer in between washes. (I use Meguiar's gold class car wash)

I do have some very light scratches that can only be seen in bright light, but are there nonetheless. Of course, with a black car, I think just driving it seems to add new ones you can see. At some point I'll get a PC and really deep polish it, but I think you could do that forever and still never be completely scratch or swirl free for long. (Unless you don't drive it)

I've gravitated to Meguiar's because they work well for me on the black paint, are readily available in stores, and are inexpensive compared to other high end products. You can also find a lot of great information in the Meguiar's forums and online tech help. Meguiar's also sells some good quality MF and cotton towels. I too use a lot of them when doing a complete detail.

+1 on RUSH.

After I had 3 or 4 coats built up, I didn't really notice, the liquid was very easy to put on and take off. The car doesn't get driven in the rain, so no real harsh conditions exist to remove the wax. After a Mr. Clean hand wash or two I put the liquid on to help keep the bugs coming off the leading edges easy....and believe me, they fall off with a soap as gentle as Mr. Clean's is, and no hard rubbing at all. If this keeps working, I'll probably put on the paste about 3 times a year, and use the liquid every couple of washes, at least while the bugs are still out in force. Of couse if I don't slow down flying any...I won't have to worry about it, cuz I won't be home. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

TS, Thank you. I have very similar driving and storage conditions. I also have a White (the Fastest) car. I've used several brands of wax from plain old Turtle wax, Mcguires in various products, NXT, and now Ice. I haven't used the ZAINO that everyone raves about. Maybe when all the half used bottles and tins are gone, I'll give it a go. Till then I think I'll use the FIFO method.

I have not really been able to see any marked difference in depth of finish between brands, save for the first few coats. By far, the easiest to apply is the Ice liquid, especially for the black plastic parts. I just didn't know if I would be able to pick up a little depth with the paste and buffer. It doesn't sound like it. Thanks again.

I use three to four times more spray detailer than I do wax.

Archived